Notify
Tools

SCI Reno protesters
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
ledvm,
I wished they would come and protest the crap they sold as food at DSC. As to Reno, I was there for the whole thing. There were not many protesters, you had to look to see them. Or maybe I really do need glasses. Either way, SCI like the NRA, steps on their peepee from time to time.

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1263 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rich - You can come too, no restrictions.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

quote:
Originally posted by Rich Elliott:
quote:
It would be very entertaining to have both you and Saeed around my campfire

HA, I had to laugh out loud at that one. Actually I'll bet it would turn out to be a lot of fun. I'd like to be there too. Smiler
Rich Elliott

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Sellers:
Lhook - Don't be sad, and worry too much about a dozen protesters. Frowner Wierdos like these don't demand much time/thought from SCI or any of the rest of us. Maybe best to worry more about the Hollywood folks, PETA and the millions they raise don't you think?

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

quote:
Originally posted by Lhook7:
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Sellers:
"But SCI is reaping what it sowed" Wow, I bet SCI is really concerned about the dozen or so nutcases outside the convention for a couple of hours? Big Grin

Sadly, I believe you are 100% correct with this statement.

Larry,

I agree there are bigger worries than a few dozen protesters, but what concerns me about the organization (SCI) is that they put themselves in a position to give this group (of protesters) the moral and ethical upper hand.

I know your feelings on SCI, and I honestly and truly wish I could share them, but, as it stands, I cannot. I take no pleasure whatsoever in the anger and disappointment I feet towards SCI. I hope that one day their moral compass will align with mine and I will renew my membership.

EDITED for clarity. I added the words in parenthesis.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
SCI has to have a compass before they can align it with yours- unless yours just points to the treasury/bank. hey, maybe Kevin Anderson can get you a good deal on a rhino hunt.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13400 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
jd - Why don't you contact Kevin and ask him about a deal on a Rhino hunt then report back to all of us? coffee Makes more sense than just throwing it out there as another slam no doubt.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
SCI has to have a compass before they can align it with yours- unless yours just points to the treasury/bank. hey, maybe Kevin Anderson can get you a good deal on a rhino hunt.

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Is Kevin still on SCI management team?

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68685 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I only read a few posts in this string but I could quickly see the beat goes on and on and on and on. AR favorite whipping boy SCI is tied to the pillary again. BORING!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed - As I asked Jdollar about the discounted Rhino hunts he was interested in from Dennis. Why don't YOU just give him a call or e-mail and ask him if he is a part of the SCI management team? Confused There really is no reason to ask everyone on AR that question, since most likely nobody here really knows the answer. Wink Post answer after you contact him so we all will know. Thanks.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
Is Kevin still on SCI management team?

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Guys,

Without all the name calling BS... here is my point.

Most of the time when I see protestors on the street...their point is NOT logical and I dismiss them as crackpots.

This time their point WAS logical. They associated D.G. with rhino poaching (true) and they associated OOA/D.G. with SCI also logical.

My initial statement was: "they had a point". Which they do...logically.

Then the attacks started.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37820 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lane, my question is - Why would you join with them? Because of poaching, OoA, or just to protest SCI for it's preceived short commings.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Die Ou Jagter:
Lane, my question is - Why would you join with them? Because of poaching, OoA, or just to protest SCI for it's preceived short commings.

As I stated above...I made that statement tongue in cheek. I would never join them.

That said...defeating an enemy strategically often times means trying to figure out where they are coming from...especially when civilized law doesn't allow you to just shoot them.

In this case...it is pretty easy to see their logic...case stated above in previous post.

Also stated above...When an organization states that they are "first for hunters"...they should also be first for wildlife and conservation. The former cannot exist without the latter.

For close to 10 years...I have been hearing about how OOA has been raping, piledging, and plundering African wildlife with total disregard for the law. And I am just a nobody peon in the African Hunting World...so if I know about it...everybody knows about it.

SCI has had close ties with OOA nobody denies that fact.

So...if SCI really wants to be first for hunters...they must be first for wildlife...which not only means denouncing the likes of OOA...it means being proactive and leading the charge against them...early on...before the slaughter, and selling like a commodity of "OUR" natural resources.

Just my $0.02 worth.

BTW...anybody watch Bones last night???

She was investigating a homicide in the U.S. They found some unusual fragments in the corpse. The corpse was an oriental woman that still used "traditional eastern medicine". Turns out that the fragments were rhino horn.

Just an example of how far reaching that rhino poaching in ingrained into the world. Writers don't just come up with story lines out of the clear blue.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37820 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lane they don't need to be first for w&c as there are many org with that mission i e RMEF etc., but there is no one out there for hunters. No disrespect for DSC.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Lane they don't need to be first for w&c as there are many org with that mission i e RMEF etc., but there is no one out there for hunters. No disrespect for DSC.

Well...they should at least be "first for anti-poaching" as well.

Disagree that there are lots of good orgs out there for African Wildlife...esp...pro-hunting ones.

And how does being associated with a poaching ring go along with first for hunters???

OOA was bad news...all new it for a long time...mud flies to all closely associated...and it is very sticky mud at that.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lane, this horse is dead why can't yu'll just bury it. As you said OOA WAS bad news. I mean how could any one support a man like Dick Cheney who shot another hunter! You get the point!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Lane, this horse is dead why can't yu'll just bury it. As you said OOA WAS bad news. I mean how could any one support a man like Dick Cheney who shot another hunter! You get the point!
Wouldn't it be great if a few on here could take up the sword aginst the ACTUAL forces-of-evil instead of some perceived demons in a hunting org??? An imperfect hunting org no doubt - but one that actually does some good??

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well Matt I didn't vote the O man that was my strike against evil, eh. tu2 Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:

I hear you...albeit the Dick Cheney analogy is a poor one. I think the man is a Great American...but...please lets leave that to another day.

My point is that...and for the record...I am a SCI member...we MUST be perceived as the stewards of wildlife...NOT...just the takers.

I am NOT really bashing SCI. They do great things! But...it is kinda like the old saying; "one bad apple spoils the whole bunch!" And...SCI did need a wake-up-call!!!

Wouldn't we, as hunters, have looked so much more appealing to the general public if "our Org"...SCI...would have been leading the charge against OOA instead of like "being their ally"???

You are right...the OOA/SCI coalition is old news...but LETS LEARN FROM OUR MISTAKES...and...NOT sweep it under the rug.

Since you used the DC analogy...I'll use this analogy: Look at our host on this sight Saeed. He does a lot for hunting and our way of life. This web-site is an example! Would it not be nicer if folks like Saeed actually liked SCI and what it stands for???

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:

I am NOT really bashing SCI. They do great things!
animal rotflmo animal

: : :

Posts: 861 | Registered: 17 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SteveGl:
quote:

animal rotflmo animal

Are you laughing at me, my quote, or SCI?

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by SteveGl:
quote:

animal rotflmo animal

Are you laughing at me, my quote, or SCI?

I agree. It is a little unclear. Could be any of them. So to clarify: I'm laughing at your quote. I'm not around here much, but whenever I check in, if SCI gets mentioned, in any context, I can be assured that you'll start bashing them .. relentlessly.

C'mon J. You remind me of the Bush-Bashers. Whenever W got mentioned, they'd start in.

It's pointless and tiresome - except when you say something like "I am NOT really bashing SCI. They do great things!" animal

I'm still laughing! rotflmo

Posts: 861 | Registered: 17 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Roll Eyes

J. Lane Easter, DVM