Find
Notify
Tools

SCI Reno protesters
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted
While I only viewed them from the shuttle buses, there were protesters holding signs along the sidewalk in front of the convention center. I was unable to read the signs but one had a large picture of our friend from OoA, the infamous Dawie Groenwald, and another the picture of a Rhino. I can imagine what the implications of those signs meant.

Thanks again to Dawie and OoA for furthering the acceptance of our sport.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Wow!!! I would have had to go and find out exactly what they were protesting! I might have been on their side. Wink

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37766 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I didn't see them. I wish I had.

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There was 15-20 or so of them out there Fri at around noon with lots of billboards "SCI, first for poachers" ect with pics of rhinos and eles.
I did walk over there where they were standing when I got off the shuttle and was booed by ALL of them as soon as I got near!! All's I wanted to do was talk with them and see what their signs said! Unfriendly bastards!!

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
In this instance...they had a point! sofa

Wheres adqueen to defend them???

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37766 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
The BEST way to not promote protestors is to IGNORE them. Let them stand around like clowns

Once the press gets wind of them it becomes free advertising.

Cheers, Peter

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
Wow!!! I would have had to go and find out exactly what they were protesting! I might have been on their side. Wink

I'm with you on that one. SCI has to stand up for what's right, even when it's not financially preferrable. If we don't police ourselves, someone will do it for us.

Mike

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm with you on that one. SCI has to stand up for what's right, even when it's not financially preferrable. If we don't police ourselves, someone will do it for us.

tu2

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
quote:

Just what point do you think they had? Or do you even know? Truth is they had no point and what they were touting was pure B.S. SCI does its best to police its own and those who were involved in unethical activity were thrown out long ago.

SCI is the strongest and best advocacy group for the hunting community. If you do not belong, you should join.

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I never saw them as I always came in over the Sky Bridge from the Atlantis. Someone has to know the inside scoop on them. Sounds as if they were anti-hunters/greenies who thought they'd get some international attention. Any cameras or news media out there during their protests?

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just what point do you think they had? Or do you even know? Truth is they had no point and what they were touting was pure B.S. SCI does its best to police its own and those who were involved in unethical activity were thrown out long ago.

Sir...if you have to ask that question...you are the one who needs to do some homework.

There point was that SCI endorsed OOA for years! D.G. did not turn outlaw overnight...he has been forever!!!

Yessir...your post ranks up there with some of the most ignor...
BOOM

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Sir...if you have to ask that question...you are the one who needs to do some homework.

There point was that SCI endorsed OOA for years! D.G. did not turn outlaw overnight...he has been forever!!!

Yessir...your post ranks up there with some of the most ignor...
BOOM
Right - so booing hunters makes these protesters OK in your books???? bewildered

If they were hunters protesting SCI's involvement with OoA then fair enough but obviously they were not...

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I didn't see them. From what I read here it could be members protesting.

Sometimes this stuff is all set up for the media. They often disappear as soon as the media is gone. Was there any media coverage?

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
All I am saying is...they had a point...and SCI's willingness to turn a blind eye gave them their point.

A more hard-nosed fighter of anti-hunters and right-winged feller you will never find than I...but...I am also willing to call a spade a spade!

SCI was wrong...nuff said! BOOM

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

SCI was wrong...nuff said! BOOM
Doubt that will be the last time it's said round here...

quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
I didn't see them. From what I read here it could be members protesting.
Doubt it if they were booing and harassing other members...

More like someone fed info about the OoA/SCi deal to the loonies.... or just read these pages.

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billinthewild:
quote:

SCI is the strongest and best advocacy group for the hunting community. If you do not belong, you should join.

that is exactly the problem. SCI does not police it's own until the problem is SO blatantly obvious they can no longer ignore it. OOA was kicked out of Zim YEARS ago FOR CONDUCTING ILLEGAL HUNTS AND SCI DID NOTHING. Dawie Groenwald pled guilty in Federal Court to Lacey Act violations( shooting then trying to smuggle an illegal leopard into the US) and went to jail in early 2010 and SCI DID NOTHING. it wasn't until his involvement in the massive rhino poaching operation in RSA made international news last summer(5 months after his conviction)that the SCI "ETHICS(?) Committee got of it's ass and FINALLY kicked him out- 4 plus years and a lot of hunt donations after the original complaints surfaced. now that's a great "first for hunters". AND DON'T TRY TO TELL ME THAT IT TAKES TIME TO SUSPEND A MEMBER. EVERY YEAR AT THE CONVENTION THE DAILY NEWSLETTER HAS LISTINGS OF EMERGENCY SUSPENSION OF MEMBERSHIPS FOR EGREGIOUS ETHICS VIOLATIONS THAT ARE EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY! WHAT IS MORE EGREGIOUS THAN A GUILTY PLEA TO A LACEY ACT VIOLATION?

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13392 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
The protesters were only there for a short time on one day as far as I know. I didn't make it to the show Saturday so I guess they could have been there that day.

In any case, I think they were probably hired by PETA, got hungry and had to go get a hamburger.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
jumping
tu2

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13392 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I am sorry, but I really do not agree with you on this one.

SCI did their best to not just turn ablind eye to this, they were actively supporting them.

Where do you think Kevin Anderson comes in?

Why did SCI NOT do anything about these criminals long before they were thrown in jail in South Africa?

SCI needs get its collective heads from their posteriors, or, as mentioned above, if we cannot police ourselves, the authorories will do it for us.

And that is NOT going to be very good for any of us.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68649 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
horse Here we go again, same old thing by the same old folks. After just a few posts the posted point is lost and the thread just becomes another SCI bashing one.

Those here who are yelling the most were not even there and have no first hand knowledge so all they have is speculation as usual. From the looks of the ones I saw they wouldn't know a Rhino from an Rabbit. This is not the first time antis have protested at a hunting show and won't be the last. Give it a rest this is just how these people operate.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Members

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Larry,

It would be very entertaining to have both you and Saeed around my campfire.

And you think a hyena can giggle?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9948 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
SCI does its best to police its own and those who were involved in unethical activity were thrown out long ago.

You'll excuse me for saying so but that statement is about as accurate as saying Santa Claus is alive and well and living in the North Pole with his army of elves.

SCI ethics committee have been receiving endless complaints from members about OoA for decades, not years but decades and consistantly failed to do absolutely anything about them in all that time.

The Corporation itself consistantly allowed them booth space year after year after year, despite all that happening.

Hell, in the past, even the very top level of SCI have (more than once) been caught behaving unethically and nothing has been done about it.

As I see it, SCI membership is purely the choice of the individual but to say they do a good job of policing their own ranks is inaccurate to say the very least.

I'm not on the side of the antis by a long chalk but if they were demonstrating against SCIs approach to OoA as the comments here would indicate, you'd have to admit they had a reasonably good point.

I'm only surprised they didn't have a banner with a pic of DG & KA holding hands! rotflmo

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry folks as much as I support SCI they didnt do squat about this one. I think had Dawie not gotten so greedy that he got reckless he would still be there. I have watched all this unfold over the last several years. I dont think SCI the organization is at fault here. I do think that a few in power have or had their hands in the cookie jar. I dont know what point the protestors were trying to make but it looks like they were a day late and a dollar short as well. It would appear a good start is the motion to require all exhibitors to be members in good standing with the respective hunting organization of each. country. A few may be brought in kicking and screaming but I believe we will get there.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fairgame - Saeed and I have conversed about sharing a campfire and both agreed it would be fun. You are more than welcome to join us. tu2

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
Larry,

It would be very entertaining to have both you and Saeed around my campfire.

And you think a hyena can giggle?

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ChetNC
posted Hide Post
That explains the blistering virus I picked up off of SCI's website Monday afternoon.

Make sure your firewall and protection are up before you log in to them. My IT guys said it was a vicious little sucker and we were lucky not to lose that PC.

Posts: 348 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 03 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Sellers:
horse Here we go again, same old thing by the same old folks. After just a few posts the posted point is lost and the thread just becomes another SCI bashing one.

Those here who are yelling the most were not even there and have no first hand knowledge so all they have is speculation as usual. From the looks of the ones I saw they wouldn't know a Rhino from an Rabbit. This is not the first time antis have protested at a hunting show and won't be the last. Give it a rest this is just how these people operate.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Members

Typical SCI chrony response! If SCI was really "First For Hunters"...they would have been amongst the first to expose them instead of laying out a welcome mat for them for years.

Look as said before...I am as hard-core right-winged anti-peta as they come...but SCI is reaping what it sowed.

I don't want MY hunting organization pussy-footing around worried about a lawsuit when they know an outfit such as OOA piledging and plundering our wildlife...I want them leading the charge to stop them.

And...They weren't...can't dispute it.

While I said: "I might have been on their side Wink" tongue-in-cheek...they (the posters) did have a point. stir

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
"But SCI is reaping what it sowed" Wow, I bet SCI is really concerned about the dozen or so nutcases outside the convention for a couple of hours? Big Grin

"Typical SCI chrony response". Not really, just a Life Member who was actually there and observed the goings on unlike some who sit at home and bitch.

This thread is SUPPOSED to be about the protesters outside the SCI Convention, not a rehash of everything you hate about SCI. But I guess it gives you a chance to repeate the same old, over and over and over and over again?

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

quote:
quote:

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Members

Typical SCI chrony response! If SCI was really "First For Hunters"...they would have been amongst the first to expose them instead of laying out a welcome mat for them for years.

Look as said before...I am as hard-core right-winged anti-peta as they come...but SCI is reaping what it sowed.

I don't want MY hunting organization pussy-footing around worried about a lawsuit when they know an outfit such as OOA piledging and plundering our wildlife...I want them leading the charge to stop them.

And...They weren't...can't dispute it.

While I said: "I might have been on their side Wink" tongue-in-cheek...they (the posters) did have a point. stir

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
"But SCI is reaping what it sowed" Wow, I bet SCI is really concerned about the dozen or so nutcases outside the convention for a couple of hours?

You know...I bet you are correct...but...they should be...Egypt did not have protesters in downtown Cairo last year either. nilly

"Typical SCI chrony response". Not really, just a Life Member who was actually there and observed the goings on unlike some who sit at home and bitch.

I actually wasn't there this year...first time in many...maybe they should worry about that too...albeit...I won't hold my breath. Wink

This thread is SUPPOSED to be about the protesters outside the SCI Convention, not a rehash of everything you hate about SCI.

If they said were against hunting...I would be against it...but they said SCI supported rhino poaching...which they did in a round about way. BOOM

But I guess it gives you a chance to repeate the same old, over and over and over and over again?

And you my friend are doing what??? Calling the pot black! shame

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
My point once more...

If SCI had been pro-active instead of retro-active...

might not have had any protesters. tu2

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
ledvm - wouldda, couldda, shouldda!! Bet we all could use some of this from time to time, huh? Wink

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

quote:
My point once more...

If SCI had been pro-active instead of retro-active...

might not have had any protesters. tu2

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
wouldda, couldda, shouldda!! Bet we all could use some of this from time to time, huh?

With out a little green under the table...they couldda...and probably wouldda a lot faster!

And one of these days we are all gonna wake up find out that lion hunting is closed and the last Black Rhino that roams the wilderness is dead...then we'll all say...guess we shouldda done something I guess. flame

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
"But SCI is reaping what it sowed" Wow, I bet SCI is really concerned about the dozen or so nutcases outside the convention for a couple of hours? Big Grin

Sadly, I believe you are 100% correct with this statement.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lhook - Don't be sad, and worry too much about a dozen protesters. Frowner Wierdos like these don't demand much time/thought from SCI or any of the rest of us. Maybe best to worry more about the Hollywood folks, PETA and the millions they raise don't you think?

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

quote:
Originally posted by Lhook7:
quote:

Sadly, I believe you are 100% correct with this statement.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Larry,

A rich old gentleman one time gave me some good advice...he said: "son just watch the pennys and the dollars will take care of themselves."

As has been said...this was a first...so I'd recommend watching that dozen...just like that old man watched his pennies. Wink

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
This was not the first time an SCI convention was picketed, and don't fool yourself into thinking that this year's "demonstration" had something to do with OoAAS. I think we can expect the PETA bunch to show up in much larger numbers in Las Vegas.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It would be very entertaining to have both you and Saeed around my campfire

HA, I had to laugh out loud at that one. Actually I'll bet it would turn out to be a lot of fun. I'd like to be there too. Smiler
Rich Elliott

Rich Elliott
Ethiopian Rift Valley Safaris

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billrquimby:
This was not the first time an SCI convention was picketed, and don't fool yourself into thinking that this year's "demonstration" had something to do with OoAAS. I think we can expect the PETA bunch to show up in much larger numbers in Las Vegas.

Bill Quimby

Bill, I have seen demonstrators at SCI in the past as well, and I think you are absolutely correct in your prediction of much bigger numbers of protesters next year in Vegas - many more. I didn't get the sense the protesters this year were against OoA, they were simply using Dawie and OoA to exemplify how horrible hunters are and intimating that we are all like Dawie and OoA.

Vegas is gonna be miserable for a number of reasons, including the demonstrators.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
LEDVM needs to give himself a distemper shot....

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
yuck jumping rotflmo
Now that is funny!

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
LEDVM needs to give himself a distemper shot....

Why do you guys want to refuse to acknowledge that SCI screwed the pooch by being buddies with OOA.

Hopefully...they learned their lesson...but if they took y'all's attitude...they'd just W-T-F and go on.

J. Lane Easter, DVM