Find
Notify
Tools

SCI - Online/Remote Chapter
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi All

Over the past few weeks I have been pondering over the idea of SCI providing a Chapter that would be available to all - no matter what the persons geographical location, hunting tastes or life schedule. Some hunters simply do not have access to a Chapter in their region or country, or sometimes the time to be involved and engage with a physical Chapter in this modern crazy world.

This 'Online Chapter' would have a number of advantages - firstly that interaction with other members (and potential members) could be on a daily basis - just as we interact here at AR and elsewhere online. Secondly it would give everyone a voice and direct conduit to SCI itself - and indeed representation at the Board meetings... The Chapter President becomes board member of SCI, which allows him/her (or their proxy) to attend the three annual board meetings - 1. Convention; 2. August, and 3. May (held in D.C. which is also the SCI elections). As a board member the President will have all the rights, as well as the same Fiduciary responsibility of all board members of SCI.

Members have the choice to be active or simply take a back seat - it matters not. Participation is better of course!!

This Chapter (if it is formed) will be able to perform all of the regular functions of a normal Chapter - regular meetings, fundraising, participation in community & wildlife projects - we could even have an annual face-to-face meeting during the convention week - for those who can attend. It is also OK to belong to more than one Chapter., before someone asks!!

With regard to fundraising; an SCI chapter keeps 70% of the proceeds from its main fundraiser, to be used for chapter operations, projects, etc. 30% goes to SCI. This is much different to all the other hunting/conservation groups whereby 100% of the funds raised goes to parent organization and the chapter/committee keeps zero. The SCI Chapter can charge it’s own dues for membership and this varies from chapter to chapter. Some chapters have annual dues of $20, and some have dues that are much higher.

I have approached SCI already about this and the idea is being considered. For now I would like to gauge support for this project from AR's membership. Without real support, it will never get off the ground.

So I'd like to ask for a show of hands from interested AR members... with the word AYE. And I am only interested in 'AYE's Big Grin ... Also - if you don't wish to AYE in public you can sure do it by PM to myself.

Looking forward to a great response!!

Cheers all
Matt

PS: I have helped setup an online hunting club at home in Australia - back in 2009. It had the same purpose, to link remote hunters right around the country. It has worked very well and the online venue is perfect for that purpose. There were other benefits to that club membership - this SCI one will differ slightly in that regard.

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
What we really need is DRASTIC change at the SCI management, and policies.

We don't need another chapter that becomes just as useless at deciding what happens at SCI headquarters.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68793 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Aye

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4781 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Matt,

Aye on the online chapter. I also agree with Saeed, SCI needs an overhaul.

SCI Life Member
NRA Benefactor Memberember

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
What we really need is DRASTIC change at the SCI management, and policies.

We don't need another chapter that becomes just as useless at deciding what happens at SCI headquarters.

+1

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
I would say Aye but my understanding is that SCI does not entertain dialogue let alone a forum?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9983 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
I would say Aye but my understanding is that SCI does not entertain dialogue let alone a forum?

Well they are entertaining THIS dialogue my friend. In any case in the OP you will see that there will be three times per year to official present the members views/questions/whatever. If ya'll are looking for engagement with SCI this will be a good way to do it.

As far as other engagement with the organisation goes - I am working on that.

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
Picture of bwananelson
posted Hide Post
how would you have a fund raiser or decide what projects to do,where will the funds be stored, the rules say 30% of funds of the fund raiser go back to sci, and you must do x number of conservation projects ,on line seems a huge task

DRSS,SCI.
ZOLI 9.3X74R (2)
Zoli 450 400 NE
Merkel 470 NE
V-C 600 NE
VICTOR SARASQUETA 375

Posts: 351 | Location: deltona florida | Registered: 09 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bwananelson
posted Hide Post
but i also agree, allot of members are not happy with the present situation i see big changes in the near future

DRSS,SCI.
ZOLI 9.3X74R (2)
Zoli 450 400 NE
Merkel 470 NE
V-C 600 NE
VICTOR SARASQUETA 375

Posts: 351 | Location: deltona florida | Registered: 09 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwananelson:
how would you have a fund raiser or decide what projects to do,where will the funds be stored, the rules say 30% of funds of the fund raiser go back to sci, and you must do x number of conservation projects ,on line seems a huge task

I actually see this all as being easier with an Online Chapter mate. Everything within the chapter will be online - except maybe a once a year meeting at the convention. Online Fundraiser - I think we could manage that on a place like AR. Members can decide on projects to support. I dont see any of that as an issue. Being online has the capacity to bring so many diverse people and supporters together. Funds - like any chapter, it would need a bank account of course and a trustworthy treasurer to administer it.

Online committee meetings - everything is recorded and archived by way of a member forum or chatroom.

I agree too - I do see changes at SCI.

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
Picture of twoseventy
posted Hide Post
Aye. It may become the largest chapter in the world.

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, duke of York

". . . when a man has shot an elephant his life is full." ~John Alfred Jordan

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

Cogito ergo venor- KPete

“It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker, that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own self-interest. We address ourselves, not to their humanity but to their self-love, and never talk to them of our own necessities but of their advantages.”
― Adam Smith - “Wealth of Nations”

Posts: 989 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks twoseventy!!

Hey, who knows what we can achieve with this? 'Build it and they will come'!!

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
Picture of bwananelson
posted Hide Post
lets have the base in a country where we dont have to do taxes or file for 501c3 ,but i will help and do what i can , who knows we may start the trend that evolves SCI

DRSS,SCI.
ZOLI 9.3X74R (2)
Zoli 450 400 NE
Merkel 470 NE
V-C 600 NE
VICTOR SARASQUETA 375

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwananelson:
lets have the base in a country where we dont have to do taxes or file for 501c3 ,
Dubai?

Thanks for the offer of help!! tu2

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aye. It'd be a change, and change is sorely needed in SCI.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It would be really good if we could get around 50 people to help get this chapter off the ground.

Saeed has kindly offered to host this online chapter (if we can put it together) right here at AR - with it's own dedicated section. Many thanks for the offer - we shall see!!!

So come on - who is in?

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
Aye, count me in.

I just do not have time to go to the closest chapters………. a four hour drive each way, which also usually means overnighting in hotels etc. just to go to a meeting.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1849 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aye.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I will join.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37898 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will join also.

Posts: 11033 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why not?

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jungleboy
posted Hide Post
OK, I guess I'm in as well!

Posts: 521 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your support people!!!

We need to come-up with a chapter name too... any suggestions? Needs to wide reaching, not just related to AR.

Geez I hope this works now!!! Fingers crossed!!

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
SCI - World Chapter

SCI - International Adventurer's Chapter

SCI - Most Interesting Chapter In The World

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4781 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Graham:

We need to come-up with a chapter name too... any suggestions? Needs to wide reaching, not just related to AR.

Saeed has offered to host the site.

How about: SCI/UAE - AR Chapter.

One of Us
Picture of FishN4Eyes
posted Hide Post
Don't see why not.

Aye.

Posts: 736 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 28 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Matt - I am in for sure. It's 65 miles to the nearest Chapter in NM, so have been out of the
"active" participation for half dozen years or so.

Larry Sellers
SCI(International)Life Member
R8 Blaser
Sabatti "trash" Shooter
DRSS

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
Name…….. Motley Crew? Big Grin

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1849 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fujotupu:
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Graham:

Saeed has offered to host the site.

How about: SCI/UAE - AR Chapter.

There are certain problems that rule setting up this chapter in the UAE.

We do not have income tax as such, so setting up something like this, which is considered as a branch from a foreign organization, requires that we meet certain conditions.

These conditions are the same as setting up a business - business's pay indirect taxes.

We would require to set up a location in a business area, pay rent, pay taxes on rent, have employees, pay taxes on employees rents and so on.

Doing this will cost more than the chapter is likely to collect in any given year.

As I have mentioned to Matt, I will be very happy to host it here AR, with its own section, and have both an open forum and a password protected forum.

But, the physical location - I am not sure that is required though - should be somewhere else.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68793 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A physical location is needed for a bank account - is all that I can see. If I do it in Australia I would need someone else here to administer it financially as I have too many other responsibilities to other org's. I dont think we have to report to the govt here if it is under 50k. Might be more...

Thanks for all the support again. I think this could do a lot of good!

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
A provisional AYE - naturally the final decision will depend on the Chapter constitution, membership fees and similar. But, as another have said: I don't see why not, so AYE!

Andrew McLaren
Professional Hunter and Hunting Outfitter since 1974.

http://www.mclarensafaris.com The home page to go to for custom planning of ethical and affordable hunting of plains game in South Africa!
Enquire about any South African hunting directly from andrew@mclarensafaris.com

After a few years of participation on forums, I have learned that:

One can cure:

Lack of knowledge – by instruction. Lack of skills – by practice. Lack of experience – by time doing it.

One cannot cure:

Stupidity – nothing helps! Anti hunting sentiments – nothing helps! Put-‘n-Take Outfitters – money rules!

My very long ago ancestors needed and loved to eat meat. Today I still hunt!

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will stick my foot into it. As most of the posters are from the US and SCI is based in US it would be natural to base the Chapter in the US and it would not be as bad as some would lead people to believe. Just referenced Saeed's post.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Die Ou Jagter:
I will stick my foot into it. As most of the posters are from the US and SCI is based in US it would be natural to base the Chapter in the US and it would not be as bad as some would lead people to believe. Just referenced Saeed's post.
I have no issue with that whatsoever - would probably be much better in fact.

Perhaps we could find a friendly accountant/book-keeper member here to take good care of financials? Hint, hint - anyone???

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry Shores would be a good choice.

One of Us
Picture of huntingineurope
posted Hide Post
'AYE's

SCI Life Member
www.allanvester.dk

Posts: 111 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 02 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
sounds interesting, AYE, i dont'even know if there is a chapter near me, probally one in Colorado

Posts: 1020 | Location: Imperial, NE | Registered: 05 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aye....count me in

Posts: 63 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 11 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would be interested. There is no chapter anywhere near me. If we are unhappy with SCI the best way to change it is from within. I'm interested in an organization that is as interested in a blue collar working hunter as a tuxedo wearing wealthy one.

Posts: 309 | Location: WV | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Haught:
I would be interested. There is no chapter anywhere near me. If we are unhappy with SCI the best way to change it is from within.
tu2 thanks to you and everyone!!

quote:
Originally posted by Rob Haught:
I'm interested in an organization that is as interested in a blue collar working hunter as a tuxedo wearing wealthy one.
And they most certainly are... the Convention has plenty of blue collar folks walking around looking for hunts or gear ... or just to look. No harm in looking and dreaming either - I tend to do a lot of that!!! A past client said to me at a convention... "I love the convention - I lay my hands on a $50,000 double rifle and think to myself - how can I pay for this? It's like I have lost my mind.". rotflmo

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe we will need at least 25 members.