Find
Notify
Tools

African Daydream...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
To my AR family,

In 6 weeks my 18 yr old son and I will be going to Africa. We are quite new to hunting and took up the sport only last year. Here in Hawaii we've only hunted Rams, Billies, and Boars. We have not even had the chance to hunt deer yet, but we've booked a 7-Day hunt in Namibia for Plains Game. As pure novices,...we will be tested I'm sure!

We can't afford to go, neither can we not afford to go as prices for these hunts are only going to increase in the years to come. We have saved and scrounged for every penny to make this trip happen, we have been like many others who have sacrificed it all because of the PASSION to experience her, AFRICA in all her beauty....

We have our US Passports,taken our immunizations and all our travelling documents are in order. I just started to reload and we have worked up a load that will shoot 180gr Nosler Partitions sub-MOA in both of our 30-06 rifles. The thought of hunting in Africa with my first reloads is thrilling indeed. The EXCITIMENT and level of ANTICIPATION is incredible!

Being able to hunt with my son in Africa brings me a lot of joy and very deep emotions! It will undoubtedly be an EXPERIENCE of a LIFETIME for the both of us. I tell him, we'll be hunting together and creating Living Memories that will never die...

We have never really travelled much before, as 30-minute inter-island flights are about all we've been accustomed to in the past. This time however, it will be 31.5 hrs of actual flying time, whooosh! We'll be flying from Honolulu-Los Angeles-Franfurt-Windhoek...Its going to be a long one for sure but the PASSION to experience Africa far out-weighs the long air time.

My son will be hunting 5 Trophy animals; Greater Kudu, Gemsbok, Impala, and a couple of Warthogs and maybe a Leopard Tom if one presents himself which is quite common on the property we are staying at...

I will be hunting the same 5 Trophy animals and a Blue Wildebeest.

This entire experience of the extreme EXCITMENT and the stomach-curdling ANTICIPATION is becoming unbearable! I guess its all part of the experiece of going to hunt Africa...The pre-, present, and post-hunt experience is more than I ever bargained for when we originally booked this incredible hunt! I feel I already got my monies worth and I'm only in the "pre" stages of the game!...I can't wait,... for it will all happen in just a few weeks!!!

To all that have gone to Africa before us I salute you. And to all that will go to Africa after us I beckon you to go!

Although I am going and have not yet gone, I can hear the distinct sounds of Africa and see the picturesque beauty of her grandeur from dawn to dusk...And then I close my eyes in peace...

To day-dream of Africa is a beautiful thing....

Aloha!

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Late Bloomer,
Ditto, my feelings as well. It is about four weeks until my 24 year old son and I leave for our first safari in RSA.
Best wishes,
Jeff

No people in history have ever
survived who thought they could protect their freedom by making themselves
inoffensive to their enemies.

Posts: 1689 | Location: North MS U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Jeff,

I wish you two the BEST!

I'll be looking forward to see your post hunting trip report...

Be safe and happy hunting! patriot

Aloha!

One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
quote:
To day-dream of Africa is a beautiful thing....

To be there is even better.
If you are having these feelings about it now, just wait until you are there. Africa has a way of amplifying your emotions. The highs are really highs and the lows are really lows. Enjoy it all and have a great trip. The 31 hours will be a lot longer on the way back!

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Late-Bloomer. Did you make sure that you got the immunization against the deadliest of all of the African diseases? Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
Congratulations Late-Bloomer. Did you make sure that you got the immunization against the deadliest of all of the African diseases? Smiler

No...I have already been planning my second trip!!! Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Grafton,

I will let you know how the photos turn out and we'll be talking soon my friend!

Thanks for the well wishes and the words of reality!

But for now... my eyes are still glazed-over as I can see her gorgeous sunsets...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You may already have done this, but a piece of friendly advice... take 24 hours in Windhoek to sleep the 31 hour ride from hell off and give yourself some time for your bags to catch up with you, as the case may be.

Works for me.

Have a safe and successfull trip, and then start planning for that Cape buffalo hunt... Wink

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Your dreams will soon be reality. Congratulations, you will be a changed person, dreaming about what was and will be. Wink

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jetdrvr:
You may already have done this, but a piece of friendly advice... take 24 hours in Windhoek to sleep the 31 hour ride from hell off and give yourself some time for your bags to catch up with you, as the case may be.

Works for me.

Have a safe and successfull trip, and then start planning for that Cape buffalo hunt... Wink

We will be getting a dayroom in Frankfurt (16 hr layover) and we will definitely be cutting some serious hardwood.

Thanks for the advice! patriot

Cape Buffalo will be on that next trip as you said...How did you know?

Is this the way the "disease" naturally progresses.... beer

I see its following its intended course with me!!! dancing

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBoutfishn:
Your dreams will soon be reality. Congratulations, you will be a changed person, dreaming about what was and will be. Wink

Thank you buddy, I hear you loud and clear! thumb

one of us
posted Hide Post
Best of luck to you. You may very well take other trips but there will never be anything quite like your first African trip. Kudos to making dreams come true for your family.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by yukon delta:
Best of luck to you. You may very well take other trips but there will never be anything quite like your first African trip. Kudos to making dreams come true for your family.

Thank you for warm wishes!

I can't take the credit but I must tell you the truth...It was my sweetheart, my darling wife's idea that me and my son could do something this SPECIAL together!!! If it wasn't for her support and love none of this would have been possible!!!

That "honey-do list" is going to be long and lengthy when I get back, but there isn't anything in the world I wouldn't do for her, she's my pride and joy!

I am tremendously grateful for her love for our family! Wink

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Squeeze,

Who are you hunting with in Namibia?

Jim

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am hunting with Tommy Hall PH and farm manager at MW Farms...A good friend of mine and fellow AR family member [geoff]is there exclusive US Booking Agent...

If interested in a great PG Namibia hunt I couldn't think of a better place! Do a member search on "geoff" and PM/Email him...

one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
Dreaming and living that dream are the best dreams ever. Enjoy your trip I'm sure you will. thumb

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.

Posts: 2549 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Safari-Hunt:
Dreaming and living that dream are the best dreams ever. Enjoy your trip I'm sure you will. thumb

Frederik,

I appreciate all the replies I am getting as its allows me to settle down and settle in...

Thank you for the warm wishes and it has been people like you that allow people like me to live their African Safari dreams...I've seen many of your posts here, as well as people who have booked hunts through you...Keep up the excellent work my friend! clap

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Late-Bloomer:
quote:
Originally posted by jetdrvr:

Works for me.

We will be getting a dayroom in Frankfurt (16 hr layover) and we will definitely be cutting some serious hardwood.

Thanks for the advice! patriot

Cape Buffalo will be on that next trip as you said...How did you know?

Is this the way the "disease" naturally progresses.... beer

I see its following its intended course with me!!! dancing

You betcha!

And then the lion/leopard trip, etc, after you've sold your house and your new car and are driving a ten year old F 150 like I am... Big Grin

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats! My first African trip was a life changing experience for me. I know it will be the same for you.

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:
Congrats! My first African trip was a life changing experience for me. I know it will be the same for you.

JTEX,

May there be many more visits for all of us to be transformed by her grandeur...

With eyes wide open and glazed by her appeal to daydream of Africa is a beautiful thing, then I close my eyes and I am at peace!

One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Be sure to experience YOUR experience. It will not be exactly what you have read about, viewed (TV, video) because those have been edited, produced, etc. Go with the flow and take your opportunities as they come ("as the bush provides")

Posts: 4884 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BNagel:
Be sure to experience YOUR experience. It will not be exactly what you have read about, viewed (TV, video) because those have been edited, produced, etc. Go with the flow and take your opportunities as they come ("as the bush provides")

You just NAILED it my friend!

That's why I started this post, as I had these emotions and feelings about her...Seriously, its like I was planning to go there and hunt this hard and that hard and you know what I mean! The typical macho stuff you hear and see!But, all of a sudden just a few days ago she has been passionately calling to me in my soul!

I believe she wants me to experience her in a way I've never imagined! Not from just a hunt/shoot/trophy perspective!

But from the passionate pride of her people and her culture and her land!

She is Africa a land of many kingdoms!!!

Yes, my friend you are correct I must experience her as she deems me fit!

Thank you for the great advice!

Aloha!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm one more day closer to meeting her and the dream has intensified...This pre-hunt phenomena is more exciting than I've ever considered...Many of you have been through this drill a great number of times... clap

My, my, my I have missed out on so much...I am truly a "Late-Bloomer" in the hunting arena, I must make-up for much time lost... thumb

dancing

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
L-B,
I wish you and your son a great hunt. Be sure to allow yourself a little time to "Soak It All In"!
Drink several of those really great Windhoek beers for me!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Father and son... Fantastic!!! After three safaris and one with my son, memories are flooding my mind reminicing... What a bod between two hunter's...

My son smiling after my first buf wife teary eyed, the DG hunting done...safe & sound

]A moment with father and son

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
L-B,
I wish you and your son a great hunt. Be sure to allow yourself a little time to "Soak It All In"!
Drink several of those really great Windhoek beers for me!

Rusty,

Thank you for the warm wishes and I will just about try to soak everything in....Including a few German beers for you too... beer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by retreever:
Father and son... Fantastic!!! After three safaris and one with my son, memories are flooding my mind reminicing... What a bod between two hunter's...

My son smiling after my first buf wife teary eyed, the DG hunting done...safe & sound

]A moment with father and son

I'm glad you are having the time to reminisce again! Wink

I plan to be on the other side of this post one day encouraging first-time African hunters as you all have so graciously done for me!Thank you for sharing your pics and story with me!

One day I hope my wife and 3 yr old daughter will accompany my son and I in several years...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Late Bloomer,

I can't imagine a better thing to do than going with your son the first time. Congratulations!

We're all sending our best wishes for a terrific hunt! And remembering our first time too.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mstarling:
Late Bloomer,

I can't imagine a better thing to do than going with your son the first time. Congratulations!

We're all sending our best wishes for a terrific hunt! And remembering our first time too.

Thanks buddy we appreciate that right-hand! patriot
Yep, I want him with me on every one, someway somehow that's are lifetime hunting plan!

That's what I've been gathering, there's nothing like the first one for there's only one of those!
Thanks a bunch!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Gang...

Its only 8 more days and then we're off to Namibia...

The TIME has accelerated with each passing day!

The DAYDREAMS have more than intensified and in several days we'll be living it like many of you who have gone before us...

I want to say thank you for all your posts because you folks have inspired us and we've learned a lot from you all on this great forum...

Thanks for keeping our DREAM alive!

Dad's Wish list...
Kudu
Gemsbok
Blue Wildebeest
Red Hartebeest
Impala
Warthog

Son's Wish list
Kudu
Gemsbok
Impala
Springbok
Warthog
Hartmann's Zebra

Thanks to all for your warm wishes and words of encouragement...We appreciate it very much and will include this thread in our JOURNAL entitled, "AFRICA, Memoirs of Namibia: A Father and Son's Tale of Adventure"

We plan on documenting our story here with you all...Many pictures will be included for your viewing pleasure...So that you too can dream of her again!....

Thank you for your support! wave

one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
Getting very close,

I suppose your packed already. I'm happy that I'm already this side of the world I dont know how I would bear the last couple of days and dont want to imagine it either.

Best of luck thumb

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.

Posts: 2549 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Frederik we appreciate the thumbs up!

BTW hows Karl doing in Namibia...Have you guys been hunting there lately?

I haven't heard from him recently...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Good luck and good hunting. I will be about a week behind you on my way to Botswana. Not my first, but the excitement builds just the same. Take the time to enjoy every moment of the journey, it will be wonderful.

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Terry!

I will heed the advice and appreciate the warm wishes for us!

I wish you the BEST time and may this trip be that much more SPECIAL than all the others
combined!

Good fortune to you my friend and keep safe! Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For those of you who have been keeping up with this thread...

We leave tomorrow for our FIRST AFRICAN SAFARI!!!

Finally the day has come upon us...

Many thanks to my AR FAMILY and thank you for your right-hand of fellowship!

Your correspondence and words of wisdom and encouragement have helped me very much to prepare myself for this hunt of a lifetime...

We will be taking along with us to NAMIBIA everything you so generously shared here!!!

We are so very excited to see her even face-to-face!

Africa!!!

Let the EXPERIENCE begin!!!

Thanks to you all!!! dancing dancing

I would also like to mention that my son Josh and I will be travelling this long journey and hunting with one of Hawaii's finest hunters who has hunted the world over for many years...He belongs to our ARFAMILY as well...he is our member "geoff" which many of you respect and admire as well...

He is the US booking agent for this private ranch/farm and has prepared my son and I for the past several months...We live only 5 minutes away from each other and his mentoring during this time has proven invaluable to the both of us...We consider it a privilege and honor to hunt alongside this living legend...

We are so-ever PROUD to be called his HUNTING SONS!!!

This trip of a lifetime is definitely a FAMILY AFFAIR...Much has been INVESTED!!!

We are going to ENJOY this hunt and banking our RETURNS!!!

dancing Wink dancing

Aloha and warm wishes to you ALL!!!

God Bless,

Roland

One of Us
Picture of ScopeBite
posted Hide Post
Hey Roland,

The day has finally come!

I sent an email to Geoff this morning and he said you guys were leaving tonight. So I thought I might check to see if you posted and sure enought here you are. You may be off already but I though I would drop in anyway.

Have a great hunt! I will be thinking about you guys this week and will look forward to hearing from you when you return.

Aloha from CA.

Shawn

I would rather Boar Hunt for my Bacon!

Posts: 136 | Location: Bakersfield California | Registered: 26 August 2007Reply With Quote