THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Best Month for Namibia,..June, July or August

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Month for Namibia,..June, July or August
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My father and I are planning a 2010 plains game hunt to Central or Northern Namibia. I am still in school so we must go during my summer break, between Jun 5th and Aug 25th. It seems most of the PH's say these three months are equally good.

What do you guys think? Thanks for the help.

Posts: 54 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
It seems most of the PH's say these three months are equally good.

That is correct, for the most part.

The Kudu rut is in May for this area(I believe).

You are looking at the middle of their winter. The weather will be nice.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the Board.

Namibia can be very cold in June and July, especially in the early mornings and around the fire after sunset. I find August a good combination of chilly in the morning, warm in the day and good hunting as winterkilled cover is thinned down.

Regards

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been to Namibia in May the last two years and really like this timeframe. If Kudu is on the menu, it's hard to beat. Mornings are a little chilly, but the days are excellent. Rain was never a problem over the last two years. Have a good hunt/trip.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been to Namibia in September and August. September had the best visibility, but it was hot and dry by 0900hrs. Water sources were concentrated so finding the larger animals like eland was a little easier. Snake activity was picking up. August had good visibility also, and not as hot. Cool in the AM & PM, comfortable during the day.

This year I'm trying the last half of June. Closer to the kudu rut, still some cover, and water should be more wide spread. We'll see how it works out.

Of course it all depends on what part of the country you'll be hunting. Best of luck to you!

114-R10David

Posts: 1753 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've hunted in the north, near Bushmanland, in both June and July. I haven't hunted there in August. It's definitely cold in the mornings. I'd take a jacket, gloves and a stocking cap. Had a lot more insects and snakes in June than in July, but that could vary depending on year. Kudu rut is an issue too. They were still going at it June when I was there. And that's fine to watch.

Posts: 10328 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
I was there in June last year. Near freezing at night, high 70's around mid-day. Had frost on the trucks one morning. The comfort key here is to dress in layers. No bugs. We had a few extra days in Windhoek before the hunt. Good thing as my check tru bag did not arrive until the next day and was delivered to the hotel. The Kalahari Sands is a good hotel.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 08 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I vote for September for one reason only...Empty flights to and from.

I have flown to Africa and back twice. My July flight to JoBerg was miserably crowded. My next trip was during Spetember and almost every passenger had the option of an empty seat beside them.

Posts: 245 | Location: El Paso, TX | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stevie:

I have flown to Africa and back twice. My July flight to JoBerg was miserably crowded. My next trip was during Spetember and almost every passenger had the option of an empty seat beside them.

How does the hunting in September compare to June/July/August. Any pro/con there?

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:
quote:
Originally posted by stevie:

How does the hunting in September compare to June/July/August. Any pro/con there?

I can't answer your question because I have only hunted Namibia in September. My July trip was to Zim.

I will say that the hunting in Namibia was excellent in September.

Posts: 245 | Location: El Paso, TX | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was there for 15 days in late May-early June 2008. I was hunting near Waterberg plateau park and then SE of Etosha. The weather was perfect, high 30's in the early a.m. and then mid-to upper 70's in the afternoon. Evenings were just right for a fire. Kudu were still rutting, as were the Impala. The only drawbacks were the grass was a least knee high everywhere and a lot of leaves were still on the trees making tracking and seeing game a little tough.

I don't think you could go wrong with any of the months you picked, at the very least you will be in Africa with a rifle in your hands.

Posts: 87 | Location: The oasis of Nevada | Registered: 26 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
September is fine if you do not mind a little dry heat. In September by mid day it will likely be getting hot. You will most likely have a "siesta" during mid day anyway. If you choose September, I would go early vs. late.

The only drawback to very warm temps in my opinion is the increased chance for hair slip of your skins. My first choice is mid to late August, but I prefer warm temps. I do not want to hunt desert country during the coldest months.

Hunting in Namibia when it is hot is pleasant compared to doing anything here with the 100% humidity during summer.

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Dad put down the deposit for our 2010 hunt today. We will be going the Kalahari Safaris in early June 2010. I can't wait!!

Thanks for the feedback.

Posts: 54 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 February 2009Reply With Quote