New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rusk
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Friends, I have just found a Africaans lady here in Pa. who is making Rusks in four flavors and will ship. I should be receiving mine is a couple of days and will report on the quality. If good I will post her address for those who may be interested in enjoying this morning treat, eh.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
The Old Hunter

Those Rusks should go down well with a nice cup of koffie, lekker lekker.

To all those [ homesick South Africans ] and Americans longing for a bit of local SA products, here is an extensive list of USA site locations whom can provide you with a rather wide range of items ..

USA sites for SA products

enjoy

Peter

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
I get my Five Roses tea, Mrs. Ball's Chutney and Rusks from African Hut, but would be interested in those home made rusks. Let us know how they are.

Regards,

Terry

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
I like coffee and rusks, but I also like Rooibos Red Tea...
My son buys it in Pittsburgh, Pa..

Mike

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Our local Publix and Kroger supermarket stores carry a brand of Rooibos Red Tea made by Kalahari, it is very good and the package claims some of every purchase goes to the wildlife parks. Either way its a very good Rooibos red. I prefer Scones with my tea but I would like to try the Rusk as well.

James F. Nixon III

Posts: 39 | Location: North GA. | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hhmag
posted Hide Post
Another good place for SA foods,
http://www.southafricanfoodshop.com
good billies and droes. They do the biltong wet or dry. Beef, but oh well.

Posts: 395 | Location: Florida's Fabulous East Coast | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
I was looking at several of the sites on the web page listed by Balla balla and saw Bovril. Most of the stuff I came across in the good ol' RSA this Texas boy could handle, but I wouldn't let my pup touch that stuff! To each his own.

Posts: 7526 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bwanarm,

As I sit here and type this, my girlfriend is sitting on the couch next to me eating toast with Bovril on it right now. I didn't like that stuff, but it's actually starting to grow on me...

But then, it's also starting to seem normal to drive on the left side of the road...and that scares me a bit..

Posts: 643 | Location: DeRidder, Louisiana USA | Registered: 12 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hell, it just shows nothing is new. I went to the site Balla Balla referenced and the first site is Keystone Rusks, which is the lady I was talking about, but maybe it sounds better when one says "home made". It is a small operation out of her kitchen. When I talked with her last evening I said I wished she could ship milk tart and she promised me the next time they traveled east by my area she would deliver one personally. By the way she and her family are from Pretoria.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Die Ou Jagter,

I think one of the greatest "home made" advert I have seen was in Texas.

There was a large billboard, on which was written:

"Home made hamburgers, hand scooped Blue Bell ice cream"

I thought the bit about hand scooping takes the cake.

Posts: 66965 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Now all we need is someone who can make some good hot and spicy Dri Vores, I really love that stuff....Also some good THICK hot and spicy Jerky or Biltong would be nice, I can't abide by this bacon thin stuff that we have around here...

Posts: 41840 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Geez, it's been 20 years since I had a rusk, and I haven't missed them yet........ Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Did not realize Rusk was African. I was always under the impression it was German. Learn something every day. Grandma used to make the stuff by the bag, big bag, but I never developed a taste for it. My wife will gobble it up though.

Scott

Posts: 1662 | Location: USA | Registered: 27 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of PWN375
posted Hide Post
Those things are awful and I would eat them only to be polite or if there was nothing left in the chop box.

Perry

Posts: 1144 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
TO each his own, sorry Ray I wouldn't lift a finger for Biltong prefer our chewie Jerkey. Maybe the reason I liked the rusk in RSA was it was quicker and easier than toast in the morning. I'll give them a try with tea (can't hack coffee ) in the office Monday morning, hope they are still good.

one of us
posted Hide Post
They just wouldn't taste the same in PA, especially since I am out of Africafe.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Slingster
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Now all we need is someone who can make some good hot and spicy Dri Vores, I really love that stuff....

I prefer that to biltong myself. YUM!

Posts: 1079 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is Bovril that nasty "mystery meat" jelly stuff they spread on bread----- yuuck! Your girl friend must be a stunner!

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
Yes that Bovril or Marmite is what puts lead in your pencil ... most outsiders or foreigners equate it to axel grease Us Africans cannot live without it ....

Rusks boere biscuit biltong and pap are what makes for a good South African ... you can take an African out the bush but you cant take the bush out of an African

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll pass on the Rusk. I could never make myself like the things.

The Bovril though, is another story. It was pretty good on anything.

/

Posts: 802 | Location: Alabama, USA | Registered: 26 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

I promise you, this stuff grows on you after a while of living here...You really start to like pap, wors, rusks, bovril, marmite, all of that kind of stuff...

Although, I was really craving some food from home the other day...what did I make? Tacos and burritos...Craving food from home, and I'm eating Mexican...hmm

And biltong is actually really, really great...

Posts: 643 | Location: DeRidder, Louisiana USA | Registered: 12 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can go along with everything except Marmite.

Posts: 1275 | Location: Fla | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Keystone rusks are gooood! Just had a original, haven't tried the flavored ones, but the quality is excellent. The have great absorbtion quality. 1-800-230-3018. Four 1 lb bags are $20.00 plus &4.80 shipping. The four sel;ections are Original, Aniseed, Granola and Raisin Bran.

one of us
Picture of hhmag
posted Hide Post
"Now all we need is someone who can make some good hot and spicy Dri Vores"

Look at my post from earlier. They have very good droeworst and boerworst. Their biltong is good and they will do it however you like. Many other good SA products as well.

I think that rusks are British in origin, but the SA versions are a bit different. SA still has many Brit foods in the stores.

Gotta love a good rusk with the coffee in the am. I got hooked on the no name ones years ago.

Posts: 395 | Location: Florida's Fabulous East Coast | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote