THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Re: Gifts for Trackers, Skinners Etc

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Gifts for Trackers, Skinners Etc
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Check with your ph. On my recent trip, the outfitter and ph mentioned that my tracker was in need of some new boots. He seemed to really appreciate them. Nevertheless, as others have pointed out, nothing is a substitute for cash.

Posts: 83 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 03 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I want to take something for the trackers, skinners, cooks etc that they can use. Anybody got any suggestions?? I leave next Wednesday (May 26).

Posts: 551 | Location: Woodbine, Ga | Registered: 04 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Money

OR

Any knit hats or t-shirts with a brand name on them, get em at the dollar store or an outlet store.

Posts: 1475 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
I am glad you posted this question. Since I am planning a future hunt myself and I am completely ignorant in these areas it will be a big help to me also. Knowing my luck I would try and give them a gift I felt very nice and end up offending them somehow.

I personally plan on giving a cash tip and would like to present a more personal gift also. I am probably wrong but it seems a t-shirt is pretty bland. It would also seem that they are given more knives than they know what to do with.

What amounts of cash would be appropriate and what is the protocol for giving the gifts and cash?

I hope I didnt hijack your post. I just have some of the same questions.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know hunters who seem to have enough excess space in their bags for tee shirts, hats and even cigarettes. I don't travel that light so I give US dollars.

Posts: 932 | Location: Delaware, USA | Registered: 13 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
It happens I've hunted a couple times in Namibia with a black guide/tracker who has gone on to become a PH (very deservedly so). Of course he likes cash and good optics. But what he asked me to get for him was such things as t-shirts, calenders, coffee mugs, and mouse pads with his children's photos on them.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
But whatever gift you give them - it does not substitute for the cash tip that you would have choosen to give. The tip is what most of them are working for. Their main source of income.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys, the road to hell is paved with good intentions, but the camp staff has family to feed and that is a tough proposition in todays Africa...Money talks and BS walks....gifts are accepted with grace, but the raw truth is they are mostly traded for money or food....besides money is easier for you to pack over there......I have discussed this with many of the staff over the years in all parts of Africa, and that is mostly what I am told...

Posts: 41880 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On my one trip to the Eastern Cape, I gave cigarettes..I bought them airport in Johannesburg and you can buy them on the plane coming over (everyone smoked..company owner, PH, tracker/skinners, the cook....), I brought inexpensive but good knives and knive sharpeners, and of course money.

Posts: 669 | Location: Alaska, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cash of course is the #1 thing for the camp crew. I also have seen some huge smiles around the camp when t-shirts, ball caps and knives are passed out. It doesn't matter if the shirts come from Good Will. If they are clean and without holes they will be appreciated.

As for who to give what or how much please let the PH handle that. There is a pecking order in the camps that the PH has a much better handle on than you ever will.

Posts: 12876 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
I always take gifts, in addition to monetary tips, and they are always well received.

I hunted with the same trackers in RSA two years in a row and they were still in possession of the gifts I had given them on my first safari. So I guess not all of them sell them for food or money.

I have never met an African that had enough things to keep him warm, so I take gloves and stocking caps. Knives, caps, knife sharpeners and flashlights are other good gifts. Inexpensive rain coats, belts and socks are other options.

I always take a lot of hard candy (cinnamon is a popular flavor) and give it out to the guys.

I usually leave my daypack along with all the stuff we don't want to haul back to the US (ziploc bags, bug spray, shower shoes, antibiotic cream, anti-itch cream, aspirin, etc.)

I usually give the PH my good flashlight (and all the spare batteries) and my knife.

Regards,

Terry

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I give cash gifts to each of the staff that assisted us. I got envelopes from the lodge manager and wrote each persons name on them. Then placed each person's tip in their envelope. The people I tipped were the PH, cleaning staff, cook and trackers.

Posts: 179 | Location: Westbrook, Maine | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have tipped in local currency for the staff and dollars for the PH. Is that the protocol for you too?

Oh yeah, I always make sure to give them the dough personally with a thank you + handshake instead of giving it to the PH to deal with...

Posts: 2359 | Location: London | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote