New
Find
Notify
Tools

My safari kit
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was thinking of doing things in the traditional way and here is a bit of the kit I had in mind.

Safari rifle (8 bore single):

Safari car:

And my passage to Africa:

...all in good fun.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mbogo375
posted Hide Post
Good show ol' chap, knew you would come to your senses eventually . Don't forget the pith helmet, riding pants, and Jodhpurs.

Since you are going traditional, maybe you should leave the safari car off altogether. I hear that porters may still be available if you "jump off" from Mombasa. Getting the ivory out of country might be a bit of a challenge however .

Trader Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 21 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Don't forget to add a bench seat to the back of the safari car.

How many steamer trunks will you take?

Posts: 19168 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tonto
posted Hide Post
Id join you in a second! What could be better than waiting for the smoke to settle to see if you made a good shot or not. The ship passage might be a bit tough, But you would have to stay for at least a month or two.
When does the boat pull anchor?
PS I can fix a model A for with somer wire and a pair of pliers a model T should be a piece of cake.
Dean

Posts: 1057 | Location: adirondacks,NY ,USA | Registered: 30 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You might want to check out "African Gamelands" by Prentiss N. Gray. It's a compilation of letters written to his sister during his year long safari in 1929. He also photographed the eclipse of the sun that year. He drove customized Model A's, I think, which were built to haul all the heavy photographic and technical equipment for capturing the eclipse.

There's a picture of an amazing sable as the cover photo.

My buddy, who hunts and also restores Model A's and other vintage cars, really enjoyed it. Considering that at that time, there were no real roads, just game trails, those old cars sure held up!!

Posts: 2921 | Location: Canada | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle. One day I would love to own one like that.
Frank

Your time draws near! The excitement level must be rising. Dreams are only of Africa!

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't that be something else, to travel by steam ship from America to Europe or the Med. Then by train down to Africa (wasn't that the way they used to get there). Then to go on horseback or on a carried thing like Sutherland used to. (wasn't it sutherland that was carried around by 6 guys and had close to a thousand bearers?).

I can imagine the real khaki clothes, absence of phones and televisions. Wow, thanks for giving me a good way to start my day.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Don't forget to stop off at the bespoke tailors for the fitted safari jacket and clothes.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually, I'd love to have the time to be able to travel for a safari by boat. I believe I'd enjoy it, though I know it's not for everyone. What did that amount to--a 10 day crossing thereabouts?

Posts: 747 | Location: Nevada, USA | Registered: 22 May 2003Reply With Quote