New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leopard Scope Help
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm looking at a low light capable scope for leopard. This will not be the primary scope and will be in QD mounts so it can be swapped out when required. Primary scope is a VX3 2.5-8 which works well in bright conditions but not as well when the lights go down. Since this low light scope will be of limited utility (due to bulk) I don't want to spend a fortune for something that will only be used infrequently at best. I'm looking at the Leupold 3-9x50 (VX3i or VX R) or a Meopta Meopro 3-9x50 with the Zplex reticle. Am I heading in the right direction or should I be looking for something different?

Posts: 103 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 07 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
I've used the Trijicon scopes with great success on my cat hunts.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I were you, I would get something with an illuminated reticle. it is amazing what can be done with those scopes.

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been wondering about this for a while and this may be the place to ask. Are night vision scopes legal to use in Africa? That would solve a lot of the hunting after dark problems. Just curious.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=

DRSS; NRA; Illinois State Rifle Association; Missouri Sport Shooting Association

“One of the sad signs of our times is that we have demonized those who produce, subsidized those who refuse to produce, and canonized those who complain.”
– Thomas Sowell, “The Vision Of The Anointed: Self-Congratulation As A Basis For Social Policy”

Posts: 771 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 09 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I have a Swarovski illuminated reticle scope currently on my .375 H&H. It carried a Leupold illuminated reticle scope when I shot my two Leopard. I prefer the Swarovski.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used a VX6 2-12 illuminated for mine, but it was and is my primary scope on that rifle. I highly recommend an illuminate reticle for a leopard as, for what I am sure you are spending for the hunt, you should want to tilt as much as possible in your favor. And I sure did not want to wound the cat and create a dangerous follow-up. Many recommend the Trijicon, and they have the advantage of no batteries, but I already had the Leupold and it worked great.

NRA benefactor life member
SCI life member
DSC life member

Posts: 242 | Location: Springfield, MO | Registered: 09 September 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
If I were you, I would get something with an illuminated reticle. it is amazing what can be done with those scopes.

+1

Leopard is silhouetted against the dusk sky. Perimeter of the scope shows the crosshairs but where they cross is completely black as it blends in with the leopard. At that point, how much would you spend for the upgrade to an IR?

Posts: 815 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 05 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
used a VXR Luepold. the red dot was very helpful lo light conditions . The PH liked it so much I tiped out to him .

Posts: 920 | Location: Chico California | Registered: 02 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Swaro Z6i works great for cats in low light.

Posts: 1815 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm hearing alot of suggestions to go with the illuminated reticle. Nobody has commented on Obj. diameter which I thought would be the talking point. Interesting. Still, I'd rather not spend 1K+ for a scope that probably won't be used too often. Are the midrange scopes that I have suggested (and the VX R is illuminated) that inferior or is there just not much in the way of experience with these models.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Trijicon 3-9 with the amber post will serve you well.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can tell you that I have shot dozens of black hogs in extremely low light conditions or even when it was dark using illuminated reticle. They are amazing.

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What illuminated reticle model are you shooting your hogs with Larry? Also, and are you shooting under natural light conditions or with a torch?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I took the 2.5-10X56 Trijicon after it was recommended by a very experience cat hunter. I have a hard time thinking that there is a better scope for low light cats or any low light shooting. A very nice scope.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had great results with a 1.7-10 Z6i Swarovski.

If you want to get a cheap scope with a big objective lens I’d still get an illuminated reticle scope.

Personally, I’d just upgrade the main scope, not get 2 that you will switch. Cat hunts are too expensive and your shot opportunities too seldom to get a cheap optic for the chance.

Posts: 10995 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Leica Magnus 1.5 x 10 is excellent in low light. I used an illuminated VX-6 for a Leopard last year. Worked great on a daylight cat. Not so for hyena in the dark the next night. Now I have a Magnus on the '06 I took the cat with. Great in moonlight as well as with a flash light. Swarovski's are good, I haven't used the Trijicons which are not as pricey as the other two. Try one at home in the dark. Go with what works for you. Any scope you use is the cheapest part of a Leopard hunt.

Posts: 118 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 12 November 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Are you hunting where light is allowed? If so, will our pH use a red or white light? Red illuminated reticles work ok on red light, but you have to turn them way down.

I have shot two leopards using Leupold illuminated reticles. When not needed, I just flipped the battery backwards so if I accidently turned it on it wouldn't go dead.

I have two illum reticles; one is on my .416 and has a straight tube. The other is a 50 mm obj; it isn't that bulky - I certainly don't bother to swap it out for a different scope.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BC3:
What illuminated reticle model are you shooting your hogs with Larry? Also, and are you shooting under natural light conditions or with a torch?

Natural light.

I have various Swarovski models and a couple of Leupold models. They really do the job.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Blowing a chance at a leopard trying to cheap out on a scope seems like one of those things one will remember a long time.

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 10434 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't understand the logic of buying a cheap scope when an expensive leopard hunt is at risk. The scope is probably more important than the rifle on leopards. Hell, the bait animals may cost more than a good scope.

The best deal going on alpha glass right now is the Leica Visus 2.5-10x42 with an illuminated #4 reticle. Available for $950ish at a couple retailers.

Posts: 552 | Location: Mostly USA | Registered: 25 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I would highly recommend, to the exclusion of anything else, an illuminated reticle scope.

The best, IMHO, are S&B and US Optics models.

My advice: Save your money on something else.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13627 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jungleboy
posted Hide Post
BC3,

I've used an illuminated Swarovski & an illuminated Schmidt & Bender

for taking leopard. Both were excellent & I think having the illuminated

reticle helps at low light. I echo the sentiment that you shouldn't skimp on

your optics when going after leopard. With significant envy I wish you Good Luck!

Jim

Posts: 521 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ongwe:
I don't understand the logic of buying a cheap scope when an expensive leopard hunt is at risk. The scope is probably more important than the rifle on leopards. Hell, the bait animals may cost more than a good scope.

The best deal going on alpha glass right now is the Leica Visus 2.5-10x42 with an illuminated #4 reticle. Available for $950ish at a couple retailers.

Cameraland for 9 something, I have used a similar Leica in the ERi and it worked great.

https://cameralandny.com/shop/...c0?variation=1243739

They have some great deals on Magnus line as well.

Europtic has a great selection of Leica scopes also

Posts: 1018 | Location: Imperial, NE | Registered: 05 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Cannot one of us lend this chap a scope?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9956 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Couple of thoughts do you want to change scopes to hunt leopard I would be worried about zero. I use Leupold VX-R and Vx-6 scope and frequently find the red dot useful for daytime shooting . Like Larry I have been able to shoot hogs and other varmints at night with no lights in low light conditions the big issue is seeing your reticle.

Posts: 172 | Location: Vero Beach Florida | Registered: 23 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an illuminated VX R 3x9 on my .375 as my primary, that would work for you. Sell the other scope. However, I shot my leopard with the same scope you have now.
On my farm I have been trying out the Sig Sauer Whiskey 3 illuminated scopes for dark 30 shots on deer. I really like them but at that price point not sure if they would hold up to .375

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1928 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
M
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
I've used the Trijicon scopes with great success on my cat hunts.

I also used Trijicon. I used a 2.5 to 10x by 56mm. It gathers light and the illuminated post works well. A 1x- 4x would be all you need.

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by farbedo:
I took the 2.5-10X56 Trijicon after it was recommended by a very experience cat hunter. I have a hard time thinking that there is a better scope for low light cats or any low light shooting. A very nice scope.

Jeremy

tu2

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BC3

Like others have suggested switching your scopes is completely unnecessary and could be problematic. Your 2.5x8 will probably work fine for all your animals but an illuminated reticle scope is best. Like I said earlier a 3x9 Trijicon with the amber post will work for everything. I used mine to hunt hippo, croc, buffalo, PG and a lion just at dark. That scope won't break the bank either.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Going into this topic research suggested that a large objective was the key to transmitting enough light to see the target. What I am hearing now is that being able to see the reticle is the primary concern with internal illumination paramount. Additionally, large objectives have been suggested by a few but not with the overwhelming specific support that I expected. Is the top tier glass that superior that an objective in the 40mm range will outclass at low light one of more pedestrian (cheap to some folks) manufacturers in a 50mm model (illuminated of course)?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fairgame
Thanks for the suggestion but I am actually just trying to educate myself on what the must have features are for a low light scope from those who have been there and done that. I think we are moving in the right direction with this discussion.
Cheers

One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
I am a big fan of illuminated reticle scopes and have been for a long time. I have illuminated reticle scopes from Leupold, Swarovski, Kahles and Trijicon. I have no use for post reticles, range and wind hold reticles, engineering graph paper reticles, etc. I prefer a duplex or 4A type reticle. Especially when illumination or limited visibility shooting may be required. Just my choice; you use what works best for you. I like all of the different brands I have equally, but my preferred scope when I need max light and I will be in a fixed position is the Trijicon 2.5x10x56.

Safe shooting

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not familiar with the Trijicon line. Should I be looking at the AccuPower models?

One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted 29 March 2019 00:42 Hide Post
I'm hearing alot of suggestions to go with the illuminated reticle. Nobody has commented on Obj. diameter which I thought would be the talking point. Interesting. Still, I'd rather not spend 1K+ for a scope that probably won't be used too often.

I used a 50mm Objective Illuminated Reticle Scope. Spend the money and sell it when you get home.

Posts: 2694 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The better optics do give better performance.

It’s not quite apples to apples though.

My Swarovski 1.7-10 is better at dark/dusk than the Swarovski 1-6, and both are better than a 15 year old Leupold 56mm objective 14x variable I have.

I think a newer leupold would be close with the larger objective, but then the FOV would be smaller.

There are a bunch of trade offs there. I don’t see a need for over 40-ish objectives for daylight or spotlight shooting. European style night shooting, sure, but that’s not cat hunting.

I’d get the best you can afford with a illuminated reticle. Magnification is your call, but I’d want less than 15 on the top end and as low as possible on the bottom end of a variable. Too much magnification and you might not find him in the scope quickly if he’s not exactly where you plan on him being.

Posts: 10995 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
When my PH flicked his green light on my Leopard, I had absolutely no trouble putting the B&C crosshair of my Leupold VX3 4.5-14x40 scope set at 4.5 power on a rosette in the center of his shoulder.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1635 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm not familiar with the Trijicon line. Should I be looking at the AccuPower models?

Yes. Your won’t be longer than 50 yards so you don’t need high power. I used a 2.5x-10x but had it set on 4x when I shot my leopard at about 35 yards. I had it set higher but turned it down because I had a problem finding the bait in the scope. The 56mm objective lens does gather light.

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwanajay:
Swaro Z6i works great for cats in low light.

+1

Posts: 119 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 05 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jjbull
posted Hide Post
quote:

I haven't yet used mine for Leopard, but I prefer the AccuPoint (no battery)

___________________________________________________________________________________

Give me the simple life; an AK-47, a good guard dog and a nymphomaniac who owns a liquor store.

Posts: 820 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota/Florida's Gulf Coast | Registered: 23 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
Generally,in hunting game, the most important time to have the best glass you can afford is ultra low light scenarios.
The Swaros, S&B's, etc typically execl here.
Yes, they cost more.
At my age , Yes, they are worth it,
I have 3 low light (non artificial or NV) rigs.
One wears a Swaro 1-6EE with lighted circle dot.
One wear a Swaro 1.7-10 , same reticle.
The newest wears a S&B Exos 1-8 with lighted reticle.

I have used Trijicon, Leupold, NightForce, Zeiss , etc in low light
Those 3 above are my favorites.

You can also find good used Swaros Z6's now that the Z8's have take the market from them.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote