THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    youtube and facebook - what are we posting ????

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

youtube and facebook - what are we posting ????
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted
I have recently more out of need than desire become a lot more familiar and active with facebook and youtube – in the process of learning what to do and what effect each of the somewhat complicated sites has I have seen first hand , uncensored just how bad some of the footage , photos and information is out there on the internet – we as hunters are seen as cold blooded killers who have no conservation integrity – this as we all know couldn’t be father from the truth – and while yes there are those that do our commuity and reputations a disservice , we need to show that that is not all of us -

I urge you to all start putting stuff out there on the internet , be it on this great site , your own youtube and facebook pages , things that are in keeping with the ethics and integrity that we stand for –

Zimguide posts his lamentations on how we are not doing anything about the bad stuff – well are we each doing our part to educate the world ? – if every photo , every youtube clip and every facebook post shows ourselves in the best light and we hammer the conservation drum loud and clear it has to resonate with some.

Lets educate the world about what we do as hunters –believe it or not MOST people don’t know !

Lets show not just our trophy photos but all the other photos of the experience – even just on this site we have some incredible photographers (yes you anton )

Either way if we can self police what we put out there on the internet I think we can, as a body have a profound effect and probably way deeper than any of us realize –

Don’t you know that when there is a negative comment on one of our posts of youtube clips and we come back kicking and biting that the antis love it saying “look , I told you , ignorant hunters”. We need to do just as bwana moja said in an earlier thread – turn the other cheek – or simply be quiet.

I for one don’t hide the fact that I am an active hunter but my daily facebook posts are carefully thought out to appeal to not just the hard core killers but hopefully some people on the fence aswel.. its shocking to me how offended even distant members of my family are with hard core hunting photos and its made me a lot more sensitive to that ...

"The greatest threat to our wildlife is the thought that someone else will save it”

www.facebook.com/ivancartersafrica

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

Posts: 1201 | Location: South Africa  | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Excellent post Ivan and great advice! jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some people don't want to see animals dying anymore than they want to see people having sex.

But I disagree about being quiet. I have had several letters to the editor published that are pro-hunting, including two to US Today, Smithsonian, and local papers. A fundamental argument I often make when told that we kill for pleasure is that we humans don't have to eat meat; we do so for our own pleasure. Whether we kill the animal or not, it dies. Justifying killing because we eat an animal is no more morally superior than killing it to make a fur coat or a piece of artwork.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What confuses me everytime is the anti-hunter who cusses us and calls us barbaric and killers because we show a trophy photo but then they go home and watch with gusto the entire series of Spartacus! cuckoo bewildered

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
I posted on a couple of forums, and on facebook lots of photos titled "Nyama", photos of what happens AFTER an elephant is down. The skinning, the butchering, the locals having fun with tugs of war etc. And finished it with great portraits of a number of HUGE SMILES.

Now while such photos may cause insane animal rights and liberationists to throw death threats, the story is the animal is used, the elephant shot was a cull, it had half its trunk cut off from a poachers snare, and the fact these poor underfed bush people love the meat as they so rarely get it (other than occasional poaching of course). Unlike the fat arsed overfed welfare recipients that form the core of animal liberation.

I took several hundred photos and an hour of video footage to cull for a magazine article in the main stream press, but have not risked the death threats yet to see if it could be published. Smiler

Such photos are confronting for "animal lovers" but most hunters are more animal lovers than the average urbanite watching African documentaries on their TVs.

I certainly am. And support wildlife through my hunting dollar and otherwise as well.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:
Such photos are confronting for "animal lovers" but most hunters are more animal lovers than the average urbanite watching African documentaries on their TVs.

That statement is the hardest one to get acrosss to people, not the anti's because they have closed minds. I have never met a hunter that did not a have a very strong emotional attitude toward animals. It is a form of love and of respect. Yes, it is strange for someonme that is not a hunter to comprtehend how someone can have such feelings for another life form, yet go out and kill it, but that i just the way it is.

I have posted some pictures on forums that were not really that respectful toward the game, such as the dead duck I am holding by the neck in my mouth. I have not to the best of my knowledge posted a picture on FaceBook of any of my kills that I felt was disrespectful to the game or the viewers.

I agree with Ivan, the sophomoric behaviors that oft times gets on FaceBook / YouTube, is definitely not helping our cause. I also agree with AAZW, we do need to be vocal and while I don't really like the "In Their Face" approach, I don't believe in an apologetic demeanor either.

If I have my quote correct, Jim Carmichael srared it as best as I have ever read or heard of when aked by someone why he hunted. I believe, if memory serves me, his answer was simply but eloquently "Because I like to" or something close to that.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NitroX:
I took several hundred photos and an hour of video footage to cull for a magazine article in the main stream press, but have not risked the death threats yet to see if it could be published. Smiler.

CHICKEN!!! Big Grin

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scriptus:
quote:
Originally posted by NitroX:
I took several hundred photos and an hour of video footage to cull for a magazine article in the main stream press, but have not risked the death threats yet to see if it could be published. Smiler.

CHICKEN!!! Big Grin

I'll do it one day. Smiler

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote