New
Find
Notify
Tools

Royal Game
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I recently learned that Kudu are "Royal Game" in Tanzania and as such can only be hunted on a 21 day license.
What else is considered Royal Game? Is there a list somewhere?

Also, anyone know if there is a website for the African Professional Hunters Association?

Cheers,

Posts: 109 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: 20 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tanzania is set up so that only certain animals can be taken depending on what length hunt you have booked. If you take a look at almost any website advertising hunting in Tanzania you will see a trophy list with prices and length of hunt required.

"Royal Game" is generally considered to be game that cannot be hunted under any circumstances. When I hunted in Zim I was told that Roan were "royal game" although it's impossible to think of Mugabe and his thugs being "royal".

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
You'll find full details of what species can be hunted on what licence on my website.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Had kind of a funny experience concerning "Royal Game" in Zim. While sitting around after photos and waiting for the PH to bring the cruiser to my dead buf, which happened to be a long ways from any road, I saw something fluttering over in the weeds. I got up and what did I find but an oxpecker missing 1 leg and a few other strategic parts. Seems that the poor bugger was sitting on the buffs side right at the bullet exit point. Talk about bad luck! Lost his ride, his dinner table, and a leg (and certainly eventually his life) all at once! I gathered him up thinking that he would add a nice touch to my mount. The game scout about croaked when he saw the bird, informing me it was Royal Game and couldn't be killed and no, I damn sure couldn't take it. It disappeared real fast to I don't know where.

Posts: 747 | Location: Nevada, USA | Registered: 22 May 2003Reply With Quote