New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nosler Partition for Buff?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Im booking my first Buffalo hunt and was wondering if anyone has used the NP in 416 for Buff. My rifle is a 416 Taylor and will most likely be used just for the Buff as I'll take along a 338 for the other critters. Any information or suggestions are appreciated.

Posts: 536 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 02 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Rich,
Don't do it. If you hit bone you will lose half your bullet wt. immediately and will not have enough retained energy to penetrate vitals.

Jim

Posts: 383 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada | Registered: 25 March 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Rich,

How do Swift A-Frames shoot in your gun? I have good luck with them on buffalo.

Regards,

Terry

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Have to agree with Terry on this one. I have had great luck with 350 gr. [Eek!] Swift A Frames. Weight retention was 95%.

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Greg R
posted Hide Post
Trophy Bonded, A-Frame, or Woodleigh.

Posts: 798 | Location: Sugar Land, TX 77478 | Registered: 03 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Nosler 416 is a fairly new bullet and it has held up fine of Buffalo with perfect expansion...Ross Seyfried and some folks tested it in Australia...Several of my clients gave glowing reports on it..It is heavier in the jacket than other Noslers...

For a soft the Northfork is the best that I have used and I am impressed with the Failsafes and BarnesX on Buffalo, more so than on smaller stuff I must admit....I also like the Woodleighs real well.

Any soft should be backed up by a solid, or just use flat nose solids and let it go at that....

Posts: 41850 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello Rich,

I would recommend one of the following, Swift A-Frames (Remmington factory loads them), Trophy bonded Bear claws, Winchester Fail Safes and Barnes X.

Vaughan

Posts: 181 | Location: Windhoek Namibia | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Well here's the broken record again,but I have to say it again! The only one shot kills I have on Cape buffalo where the brain or spine was not hit, have been with 375 H&H using 300 gr NOSLER PARTITIONS . All others have taken three or more shots,regardless of bullet type, or caliber.

Load your rifle with a Nosler in the tube, followed by some good solids, and don't worry about it! By loading that way if a first shot presents it's self where a solid is needed, it is a simple matter to eject the chambered round, and go ahead with the solids. If you have time you may even replace the NP with another solid. Most times the first shot is with the buff not too excited, and the NP will do a lot more tissue damage than the solid!

Go ahead and use the NP, or the Trophy bonded, for the first round, and don't worry about anything! [Cool]

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't it be better to keep the solids and soft point of the same mfg? In theory this should keep P.O.I. the same. This would leave Nosler out of the equation. I was thinking I could get by with one load but the more I get into it and talk with others who have been there done that the overwelming opinion is a soft followed by solids.

Posts: 536 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 02 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rich,
Not necessairly, and in many cases the answer would be no....You cannot depend on like brands shooting to the same POI....

You have to load your ammo and test it...I use the same weight or near same weight bullets such as a 400 gr. Nosler and a 400 gr. Woodleigh solid or 380 gr. GS Solid (close enough) and work up two loads that hit near or at the same POI...In my guns the solid usually comes in at about a grain or two less than whatever soft I am using...

Never put your faith in "probably"....Test your softs and solids BEFORE you go to Africa. If you cannot get them together, which is sometimes the case, then opt for a Failsafe bullet or a GS Custom HV and use them exclusively....Another option is to use the GS flat nose solid or the Bridger FN solid...

The FN solid has become my all around choice for Buffalo, with its introduction I see very little use for a soft these days, other than for testing purposes as I like to know how they perform....I have used the FN solids on Zebra, Wildebeest and Kongoni also and with excellent results.

Posts: 41850 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray at the risk of looking stupid what is a GS custom HV? I assume the FN is flatnose solid. Where can the bullets you mentioned be purchased? As I haven't been in the position of needing a solid and a soft nose befor this is all new to me. The only thing I have shot with the Taylor is a very non dangerous whitetail [Smile]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't get it.

If you have a quartering away shot on a buffalo, then penetrating through a paunch filled with 200 pounds of wet grass will be extremely difficult for any soft point.

So why not just use solids all the time to assure penetration?

I understand solids can be hazardous for broadside shots in herds though.

So let's just hunt dagga boys. With solids.

[ 02-21-2003, 23:19: Message edited by: 500grains ]

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Rich Anderson

Partition is a very nice bullet for hunting and I belive it will do just fine for buffalo in 416. Nosler people has certainly been thinking about African hunting when they designed it. I would say, go for it and team it up with a suitable solid.

Good Luck
/ JOHAN

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have tested the NP 416 bullet quite a lot. In wet phonebooks, hard magazines and at point blank range in wet sand. I have not yet seen one come apart. And that was in my 416 Wby rifle at a muzzlevel. of 2750 f/s. The partition is moved up front a la partition gold and front jacket is thicker than normal NP�s compared to caliber.
A very stout bullet which I would not hesitate to use on buff.

Posts: 186 | Location: 9750 Honningsvaag, Norway | Registered: 10 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The Barnes "X" provides "any shot you want", on buffalo.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rich:

Any good quality bullets that shoot good in your gun will do the job. I used Barnes X's and solids in my 375 H&H and took two Buffalo's with excellent results. The soft points and solids held the same POI. Out of four Buffalo shot with this setup none traveled further then 5o yards. Remember, any good bullet needs to be placed in the correct location for a clean kill on a Cape Buffalo.

Posts: 251 | Location: pa | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
<George Hoffman>
posted
I keep seeing references here for failsafes. I did not know that they made failsafes in .416 caliber. If so, I want some.
George

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
I don't get it (either!). I agree with MacD37.

I've taken several buff with .375 softs, including the Swift. This theory of needing solids I have failed to verify, as softs do exactly what they are supposed to do...tear things up. Semi-softs like the X-bullets should do they same, as reported by those that have used them.

Solids, regardless of caliber, are designed for penetration and zinging through buffalo, and maybe its neighbors, doesn't really accomplish the objective nearly as effectively as softs.

Will

Posts: 19313 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the GS flat nose solids best of all, "I get it because I have used both.." and I like two holes in'em, and they kill as well as any soft I have used...Most like a soft on top followed by solids, but that never works out right for me, so I just use solids most of the time...

Rich, the GS HV is a hollow point, like the Barnes X but they seem to be more reliable..the HV stands for high vel I suppose...

The Failsafe is a good bullet, but like George says it is only available in 375 and below...That is a shame..

All this stuff is merely speculation, opinnion, and conversation, as any bullet will work if the first shot is right, if not then none of them work except the solid....

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used Woodleigh solids in my 470 with excellent results.

Posts: 90 | Location: California | Registered: 23 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for the input as I appreciate the knowledge of those who have been there and done that. My rifle currently shoots the 300gr Barnes X quite well so mabe the same will apply to the heavier bullet weights. This summer will be spent with a varity of bullets searching for the ultimate combination.