Find
Notify
Tools

Serious bosses.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted
With the trend to shoot age before beauty there are many operators and PHs who are earmarking older buffalo bulls with character.

Here is a buffalo taken recently at Royal with exceptional 15 inch bosses and one that fits that category.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9983 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now thats a proper boss, well done

Posts: 167 | Location: Kuwait | Registered: 14 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Proper

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
That is much more appealing to me than width measurements.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12711 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Torbjørn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
That is much more appealing to me than width measurements.

+1

Torbjoern

Posts: 315 | Location: Norway | Registered: 17 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
+2 tu2

One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
+3....Nice one Andrew.

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some day....WOW!!!
Congrats Andrew tu2

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Absolutely positively the way to go... Fine buf Andrew.

Mike tu2

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's quite a serious battering ram.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
nice boss

Posts: 920 | Location: Chico California | Registered: 02 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Seems like there are certain areas that produce huge bosses more than others? I know around Kruger the buff tend to have bosses resembling football helmets but in some other areas even though the bulls are fully mature they don't develop the same way. Any old Africa hands care to enlighten us? Are there certain areas known for huge bosses like that one?

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice hard-bossed bull. Congrats.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great bosses Andrew!

Very nice indeed.

Posts: 2628 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Real nice ! To me that is a trophy. tu2

The more I know, the less I wonder !

Posts: 1143 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
nice headgear Andrew

Posts: 1020 | Location: Imperial, NE | Registered: 05 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jeff Graves
posted Hide Post
I too am a big boss fan. I took this fellow with Spear Safaris earlier this month. He's a bit over 17.

Posts: 56 | Location: United States | Registered: 11 August 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jeff Graves
posted Hide Post

Posts: 56 | Location: United States | Registered: 11 August 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
OK you win Jeff. Very serious bosses indeed.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
GREAT buff all round- well done gents!

Posts: 1128 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 22 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those are spectacular animals.

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 10565 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Better than a set of 36D implants!

Posts: 10378 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is one I shot in Chewore several years ago.
I have shot others in Chewore which had nice but less boss, though more spread. IIRC, this one had 36" of spread and 16" bosses. I think I'll go downstairs and measure him when I get some lunch.

It doesn't show in the photos but the front of the boss overhangs his brow. Like two handles for lifting his head.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Boss over width any day in my book! Great bulls all!

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Another with a bit of width.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
All are fantastic bulls! tu2

One of Us
Picture of Jan Dumon
posted Hide Post
Those are beautiful Buffalo Andrew. Bosses are so important on a Buffalo trophy. I personally like the rough tree bark look on old Buff as well as smooth worn look on very old Buffalo. As a matter of interest to the "Boss men" out there here are a few beautifully bossed specimens.

Jan Dumon
Professional Hunter& Outfitter
www.shumbasafaris.com

+27 82 4577908

Posts: 774 | Location: Greater Kruger - South Africa | Registered: 10 August 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Fantastic Jan and thanks for posting. Interesting to note that the seriously wide bossed buffalo are often short in horn. The buff in your last photo would be lucky to break 32 inches. But then again for me a far more desirable trophy.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of Jan Dumon
posted Hide Post
You're right , the huge bossed ones do seem to be shorter on average , although one gets the exceptions. This was the clients second Buffalo with me. He already took a beautiful 43 inch bull and when going for another he said " I need one older than the mountains with huge bosses and all scarred up. I want to shoot him up close and personal Jan "
We shot this old Bull at 12 yards head on...with a 9.3 x 62.

Jan Dumon
www.shumbasafaris.com

+27 82 4577908

Posts: 774 | Location: Greater Kruger - South Africa | Registered: 10 August 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jan Dumon
posted Hide Post
I suspect these 2 Bulls are exceptions to the short rule Wink

Jan Dumon
www.shumbasafaris.com

+27 82 4577908

One of Us
Picture of leopards valley safaris
posted Hide Post
Those are some fantastic bulls Andrew an Jan.
Thanks for sharing

Dave Davenport
Outfitters license HC22/2012EC
Pro Hunters license PH74/2012EC
www.leopardsvalley.co.za
dave@leopardsvalley.co.za
+27 42 24 61388
HUNT AFRICA WHILE YOU STILL CAN
Follow us on FACEBOOK https://www.facebook.com/#!/leopardsvalley.safaris

Posts: 980 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 06 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jeff Graves
posted Hide Post
Those are fantastic trophies! I think you really have something special when a bull is blessed with boss and width and even more so when a good drop is present. My bull was only about 35" wide I believe, but I really couldn't care any less! I feel that he's way better than I deserved . This was my first hunt for Cape buffalo and I am thankful that I have learned from good old school buffalo hunters what is important in a true trophy specimen. I guess at the end of the day it's not much different from most any other animal, as it's mainly to do with age and maturity.
Here's another shot of Chengeta holding up the head.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Andrew - truly a proper Buf no question!

Jan, with regards to your last two pics I would say more often than not the bottom Buff with the huge drops would win a popularity contest even if the top pic has a couple inches on it width wise what do ya say?

Posts: 625 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 10 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
Is there someone who will post a photo I took of a dugga boy that easily was 12 years old and exceptionally hard bossed? He easily meets the trophy criteria mentioned here, but I passed him up in 1983 on my first trip to Zimbabwe.

(Saeed: my first safari was with Fanie Pretorius at his Westwood Wildlife Safaris in the Matetsi, which means this bull's genes had a good chance of being passed on to the buffalo you hunted there years later.)

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of HendrikNZ
posted Hide Post
My Nuanetsi bull from 2012, hunted with Alan Shearing

Posts: 356 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 11 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jan Dumon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AR MAN:

Jan, with regards to your last two pics I would say more often than not the bottom Buff with the huge drops would win a popularity contest even if the top pic has a couple inches on it width wise what do ya say?

I have to agree with you. Those drops are fantastic.

Jan Dumon
www.shumbasafaris.com

+27 82 4577908

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Beautifull bosses ,sandly our water buffalos dont have it.I prefer a buffalo with good bosses than a long horn .

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6382 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jan Dumon:
quote:
Originally posted by AR MAN:

I have to agree with you. Those drops are fantastic.

Grins I would like one of each--

Big Grin

"The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane." Mark Twain
TANSTAAFL

www.savannagems.com A unique way to own a piece of Africa.

DSC Life
NRA Life

Posts: 3386 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 05 September 2013Reply With Quote