New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Admiral's Letter to Guns & Ammo
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone else notice one of our own had a letter published in the current issue of Guns & Ammo?

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
I have not read G&A in twenty years. What did he have to say?

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Which letter is his? I got this months issue in front of me right now.

I assume it is the AimPoimt letter.

Posts: 12257 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
Which letter is his? I got this months issue in front of me right now.

I assume it is the AimPoimt letter.

See p. 10, top letter in the yellow box to the right of the page.

LTC, USA, RET
Benefactor Life Member, NRA
Member, SCI & DSC
Proud son of Texas A&M, Class of 1969

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" Robert Browning

Posts: 1554 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
We also had an AR member's letter published in the June 2018 issue of Guns & Ammo.

Cal Pappas from Willow, AK wrote about an article in the March 2018 issue and corrected some errors regarding the .500 double rifle.

See p. 8 of that issue, letter titled "Taming Big Bores."

LTC, USA, RET
Member, SCI & DSC

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" Robert Browning

Posts: 1554 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There it is on African Sporting Creations. And bringing the class down is a fellow Kentuckian right underneath.

Not sure where a plainsgame hunt can be had for 1000k. Maybe two spices before plane tickets.

Did Mr. Cal send a letter was in response to Mr. Gary Jame’s article on the 500BPE. Mr. James and i think it was Mr. Cal agreed real black powder was better in the day then what is made now.

This prompted a pretty haute reply letter from Hodgon’s about how much better modern real black powder is. The reader letters are better than the articles.

Posts: 12257 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
Cal's letter had to do with safety issues in loading and unloading the .500 BPE, and he also commented on the correct method of holding powerful doubles.

Pappas didn't say anything in his letter about black powder quality. That matter was addressed in the July 2018 issue in a letter from Chris Hodgdon of Hodgdon Powder Co.

LTC, USA, RET
Member, SCI & DSC

one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
quote:

Not sure where a plainsgame hunt can be had for 1000k. Maybe two spices before plane ticket

I think the letter-writer was referring to the cost of equipment, not the plains game safari itself.

Assuming an off-the-shelf rifle in 308, 30-06 or something similar is included, $1000 could probably cover a gun, ammo, boots, clothes, and other necessities--but it would take some bargain shopping.

On my first plains game safari in RSA, I just wore the brush-buster pants we use on quail hunts, a couple of long-sleeve cotton shirts, the boots I already had, and used a push-feed Winchester M70 in 30-06. My sons and I killed 7 head of plains game with the '06.

IMO, anyone who owns a deer rifle and is competent with it doesn't really need anything else for a typical plains game safari, especially a first one.

I confess I bought a high-dollar M70 in .375 H&H just for the trip, but I didn't need it and could have saved the $$ if I had had access to a forum like AR back in the mid-90s. I did shoot a gemsbok with the .375, just because I was determined not to haul a rifle all the way to Africa and not shoot SOMETHING with it!

LTC, USA, RET
Member, SCI & DSC

one of us
posted Hide Post
AnotherAZWriter: Would you please scan the letter and post it here? You are starting a thread about an article some of us have no chance to read. You have not even stated who wrote the article. Remember from junior high English class, an article should answer "who, what, when, where, and why?" Thanks. Dale

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dale:
AnotherAZWriter: Would you please scan the letter and post it here? You are starting a thread about an article some of us have no chance to read. You have not even stated who wrote the article. Thanks. Dale

PM me with your email and I will send it.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
AnotherAZWriter: I sent you a PM. Thanks for e-mailing the letter. Dale