Notify
Tools

Cape buffalo sold for R40m
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by INTREPID SAFARIS:
YOU GUYS WILL RECALL NOT TO LONG AGO A SABLE BULL SOLD FOR R3200000 ABOUT $320 000. THAT WAS ABOUT 5 YEARS AGO THAT GUY MADE ALL HIS MONEY BACK WITH IN 2 YEARS AND HE IS STILL MAKKING MONEY OF THAT BULL. TRUST ME IF THIS BIG BUFFALO DONT DIE THE NEW OWNER WILL MAKE HIS MONEY!

I'm not disputing what you say, but like Berettas682E, I'd like to see the math on this. How many offspring over how many years and at what market price does it take to pay for a four million (U.S.) dollar buffalo bull?

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
I'm not disputing what you say, but like Berettas682E, I'd like to see the math on this. How many offspring over how many years and at what market price does it take to pay for a four million (U.S.) dollar buffalo bull?

I'm sure many people would be interested to know that & equally sure breeders would prefer to keep their fees & profit margins etc strictly private just like most other people here that own their own businesses.

However, it's gotta be worth it if people are willing to pay such prices.

That said: I'm sure a bit of Googling might give you some idea of stud fees for various species.

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Good for the industry.
Us hunters, we"ll hunt wild or behind the fence as long as it is good size property.
Without lots of these ranches, the opportunities wouldn't be there nowadays.
Otherwise, leave it to these governments in Africa and it would be one big settlement sprawl.

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek. I think what they will do in this case is breed this bull and sell the pregnant females. Pregnant cows from A bull like THIS will easily sell for $400 000. So it will not be long for the money is paid back. However he does carry the risk of this animal dying. Then again there is risk in any investment these days.

Phillip du Plessis
www.intrepidsafaris.com
info@intrepidsafaris.co.za
+27 83 633 5197
US cell 817 793 5168

Posts: 402 | Location: Alldays, South Africa | Registered: 05 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by INTREPID SAFARIS:
YOU GUYS WILL RECALL NOT TO LONG AGO A SABLE BULL SOLD FOR R3200000 ABOUT $320 000. THAT WAS ABOUT 5 YEARS AGO THAT GUY MADE ALL HIS MONEY BACK WITH IN 2 YEARS AND HE IS STILL MAKKING MONEY OF THAT BULL. TRUST ME IF THIS BIG BUFFALO DONT DIE THE NEW OWNER WILL MAKE HIS MONEY!

This true and can happen...when I was in South Africa , June this this year,I met several game farmers at a dinner one night...a month after getting home I received a well prepared Sable Game Farm proforma...to purchase an interest in a new farm with several hundred ha and a herd of 20 preg. cows /1 bull...in the 5th yr. the herd was to have grown to 50 producing cows ...in the 4th yr. the projected profit from sales less expense was equal to half of the org. investment...so at that point you had your land(value increased) and a large producing herd (value increased) ...ready to make a lot of dollars...however there was no provision made for mortality of any animals and that is not going to happen...but like any successful operation hard work will make it happen and maybe more so for a younger person, I am to old to wait 6 to 10 yrs. for positive results... at this point in my life I think I will spend my time and money shooting at them....

Posts: 282 | Location: TALLAHASSEE,FL | Registered: 08 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like another one of those deals
"IF it sounds too good, it most likely is".
Glad you didn't bite on this one. Over there, how would you be protected? Is Blair involved maybe?? ha!
Wish you well,
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5947 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by georgeld:
Sounds like another one of those deals
"IF it sounds too good, it most likely is".
Glad you didn't bite on this one. Over there, how would you be protected? Is Blair involved maybe?? ha!
Wish you well,
George

George,you must know some of the non-hunting members of the family,ha...you will note that jdollar and I do like to pull a trigger and do not fit that category.....you are right-on about the game farm operation ,distance makes it extremely hard to check on and the laws and regs change so quickly there,that any long term operation would always be in jeopardy... and like any farming operation,when you have to at start up,buy the land,infrastructure,all equipment and in this case the animals...profit is a long term hard squeeze

Posts: 282 | Location: TALLAHASSEE,FL | Registered: 08 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So with all these 50" bulls being bred has anybody heard of one being shot or will nobody admit to it although some record buffalo in Rowlands from "Hoedspriut " look suspicious.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LR3:
So with all these 50" bulls being bred has anybody heard of one being shot or will nobody admit to it although some record buffalo in Rowlands from "Hoedspriut " look suspicious.

I may be wrong,but I would think that like any ''cattle'' breeding operation to improve/change the bred, with the initial cost involved, any offspring with any potential would be saved for increasing the gene pool and/or sold to other breeders....it might be some time before you see any of these calves placed in harms way,they will be protected like the gold they represent......

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boarkiller:
Good for the industry.
Us hunters, we"ll hunt wild or behind the fence as long as it is good size property.
Without lots of these ranches, the opportunities wouldn't be there nowadays.
Otherwise, leave it to these governments in Africa and it would be one big settlement sprawl.
well said!

Eardley Rudman

Posts: 47 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 01 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JCook:
Til this and JDollar's pm I had no clue you guys were related to Jeff Blair, or who you're talking about. My referrence was to BlairWW and his sheep hunt scam.

Wish you guys well and do pull the triggers when you can.
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5947 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
George,jdollar and I are related to a "Blair" and when you mentioned the name,I assumed it was the same Blair and jumped when I should have thought it out first...with my limited knowledge I was unaware the BlairWW hunt scam until JD advised me of same...our Blair is a non-hunter and would rival Pearl Pureheart...sorry for the misunderstanding ...and thanks,I pulled the trigger some today....................

One of Us
Picture of D R Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Originally posted by Al Pacino playing SCARFACE:

"Say hello to my little friend..."
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

D/R Hunter

Correct bullet placement, combined with the required depth of bullet penetration, results in an anchored animal...

Posts: 997 | Location: Florida - A Little North of Tampa  | Registered: 07 August 2012Reply With Quote