Notify
Tools

Cape buffalo sold for R40m
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of boerbokrib
posted
http://www.iol.co.za/news/sout...1580001#.Ujr8-H-peJY

Cape Town - A new South African record price of R40 million has been set for a single buffalo.

Rubin Els, general manager of Thaba Tholo, a reserve north of Thabazimbi in Limpopo, confirmed the sale of 10-year-old Mystery, on Wednesday night.

Mystery measures 1.34m high.

Another bull, Leba – he measures just under 1.16m but is only four years and four months old – was sold for R22.5m.

Both animals are Cape buffaloes and were sold to unnamed buyers from the Eastern Cape.

“You used to get animals as big as this out in the wild, but now they’ve disappeared,” Els said.

“But now we have the privilege and the ability to breed some of these animals back again by managing genetics in buffalo populations.”

Both the animals were free-roaming, “living in between leopard and lion”, said Els.

A total of 290 animals were sold at Wednesday’s auction for a total of R230m.

“It’s a long-term process; it’s no quick buck. It takes a lot of time and dedication by a staff of 96 people here,” Els said.

The previous record price for a buffalo bull was R26m, set last year, following the previous record of R18m two years ago.

Another top price fetched on Wednesday was for Wiele, a 1.27m Zambian sable bull, which sold for just more than R11m.

The creature was touted as “something special” with an “all-in-one package: black facial mask, horns, a large masculine body and attitude of note.

“A blue-blood, thoroughbred of pure genetic dynamite,” said the auction catalogue.

His grandsire was Nike, who sired the likes of Incredabull, Monster, Dinaka, Palanka and Nyala.

“A must-have for every serious breeder!” the reserve said earlier.

Thaba Tholo is owned by five South Africans, who were not named.

Cape Argus

Posts: 291 | Location: Sourh Africa | Registered: 07 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Had a phone call about this today Wink ...... There's immense profits to be had in game breeding nowadays & the buyers of that animal will probably get their money back in a year or so & probably make twice that in the next 3/4 years.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't have any personal problem with this but it sounds strange to read about game animlals spoken of in terms that might be applied to domestic stock. Actually I guess that's what they are. Hmmmmm!

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12877 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
With those profit margins, I certainly wish I could afford to be in the business! jumping

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
I don't have any personal problem with this but it sounds strange to read about game animlals spoken of in terms that might be applied to domestic stock. Actually I guess that's what they are. Hmmmmm!

Mark

More people need to start thinking of them that way if we want any around in the future-

Its like the lion conservation--if they arent making an economic return there wont be many of them.

"The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane." Mark Twain
TANSTAAFL

www.savannagems.com A unique way to own a piece of Africa.

DSC Life
NRA Life

Posts: 3386 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 05 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can someone please walk me thru the economics of paying so much for old buffalo ?

How does one earn a positive return on this investment.

Thanks,

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
Can someone please walk me thru the economics of paying so much for old buffalo ?

Thanks,

Mike

They sell the sperm for obscene amounts to other breeders.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So in 10-15 years everyone in south africa will be shooting 45inch hard boss buffs. Kind of like US whitetails.

I knew there was a lot of money in game farming in south africa - just did not know it was like breeding race horses.

Learn something new everyday. Thanks.

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
The value of the bull is not only size and horns, South Africa has 'disease free' bulls, unlike wild buffalo.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry Steve no sperm selling at the moment it is still the natural way with buffalo, maybe in the future. None the less the game industry is doing very well at the moment, glad to be part of it.

Phillip du Plessis
www.intrepidsafaris.com
info@intrepidsafaris.co.za
+27 83 633 5197
US cell 817 793 5168

Posts: 402 | Location: Alldays, South Africa | Registered: 05 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd like to be standing to the safe side of the fence watching 'them' collect the sperm from a cape buff bull.
I wonder who would end up in worse shape at the end of that war.
George

PS: Where's Lane on this one???

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5947 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
No doubt buff are immensely powerful but all it takes is a correctly built handling system & crush etc.

Places like commercial breeding centres & game capture centres such as the Millennium Centre in Umfolozi etc have had them for years.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Game industry and safari/trophy hunting is responsible for the repopulation and rehabilitation of many species and unproductive farmlands.

There will be many with negative comments and detractors of this practice, BUT it will ensure a future for game populations and game habitat; and unlike most other African countries the wildlife populations are growing and the protected areas expanding. Buffalo are now far more common and widespread in SA than they have been for probably 200 years and with good management the collective herd will continue to thrive. This WILL be good for hunting in the long term!

It would be interesting to look at the stats of buffalo hunts conducted in SA over the past 20 years

Posts: 394 | Location: Africa | Registered: 25 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
STEVE

Hope you are doing well, do they take sperm from buffalo at these places? If so I have not heard of it. That would be good thou no way I can afford I bull like that one that went 40mil.

Phillip du Plessis
www.intrepidsafaris.com
+27 83 633 5197
US cell 817 793 5168

Posts: 402 | Location: Alldays, South Africa | Registered: 05 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Phillip

I'm laid up with a seriously buggered hip just now but other than that, I'm doing great & loving life here in Portugal thanks.

I'm no expert on the breeding centres but do have good friends who are VERY major players in the industry & I believe they are now harvesting & selling sperm.

Let's face it, the profit margins are so big & the process so easy they'd be silly to ignore the idea....... And they certainly ain't silly. (In fact, they're some of the shrewdest people I've ever come across in my entire life) Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve

I breed with buff my self, I make A couple phone calls on it will let you know, but I am sure they are not doing it on buff yet there are some challenges doing it FAR AS I KNOW, will report back soon

Phillip du Plessis
www.intrepidsafaris.com
+27 83 633 5197
US cell 817 793 5168

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
OK mate...... I'm not sure how often I'll be able to visit in the next few days as I rather fear the doc might want to sort my hip out asap.

I bloody hate doctors!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good luck Steve!

Phillip du Plessis
www.intrepidsafaris.com
+27 83 633 5197
US cell 817 793 5168

Picture of Charl
posted Hide Post
The bull

Charl Schoeman
Professional Hunter and Outfitter
e-mail : charl@sainet.co.za
tel : +2783 651 7433

Posts: 72 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 09 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Thanks,

Mike

It's just like the registered cattle scam or racehorse trading: One "$4 Million" bull trades for two "$2 million" cows. Use any denomination you want; it is typically barter and not cash which is, in the end, changing hands. Only a few greenhorns with more money than sense get hosed by paying real money for "boutique" livestock.

Bottom line: The economics only work when you trade a $2,000 Mossberg and a $3,000 Savage for a $5,000 Remington. In the real world, they actually sell for a tenth that amount. Now, every once in blue moon someone is able to sell that "$5,000 Remington" for cash to a newcomer who wants to get into the game . . . nice work if you can get it.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
quote:

Thanks,

Mike

It's just like the registered cattle scam or racehorse trading: One "$4 Million" bull trades for two "$2 million" cows. Use any denomination you want; it is typically barter and not cash which is, in the end, changing hands. Only a few greenhorns with more money than sense get hosed by paying real money for "boutique" livestock.

Bottom line: The economics only work when you trade a $2,000 Mossberg and a $3,000 Savage for a $5,000 Remington. In the real world, they actually sell for a tenth that amount. Now, every once in blue moon someone is able to sell that "$5,000 Remington" for cash to a newcomer who wants to get into the game . . . nice work if you can get it.

This makes more sense. I just don't see how a $4 mil. buffalo can generate significant revenue when the end product of this is a $5K or max $10K trophy fee animal. That trophy fee animal also needs 10 years to mature.

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
quote:

Thanks,

Mike

This makes more sense. I just don't see how a $4 mil. buffalo can generate significant revenue when the end product of this is a $5K or max $10K trophy fee animal. That trophy fee animal also needs 10 years to mature.

I think you guys are missing the mark. The hope is not that the $4m bull will sire a herd of $10k animals. The hope is that he will sire a bunch of super high dollar freaks that will also sell for a bunch for their breading potential.

And I don't think the average SA tropy bull is anywhere near 10 years old. Probably half that, or younger.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Charl
posted Hide Post
The bull is for breeding purposes only, the owner will make his money back in 2 years and double what he paid after 3 or 4 years.

Charl Schoeman
Professional Hunter and Outfitter
e-mail : charl@sainet.co.za
tel : +2783 651 7433

Posts: 72 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 09 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
YOU GUYS WILL RECALL NOT TO LONG AGO A SABLE BULL SOLD FOR R3200000 ABOUT $320 000. THAT WAS ABOUT 5 YEARS AGO THAT GUY MADE ALL HIS MONEY BACK WITH IN 2 YEARS AND HE IS STILL MAKKING MONEY OF THAT BULL. TRUST ME IF THIS BIG BUFFALO DONT DIE THE NEW OWNER WILL MAKE HIS MONEY!

Phillip du Plessis
www.intrepidsafaris.com
+27 83 633 5197
US cell 817 793 5168

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
As I suggested earlier, it's a very lucrative business but I guess not without it's risks.

Imagine spending that sort of money & then have the animal croak on you! Eeker

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve Yes it is very risky however that bull can also live another 10 years and make that guy A LOT OF MONEY. Also I don't think 40 mil will hurt him anyway!! I also made some phone calls and at this moment they still need to breed the natural way no sperm selling yet. Hope you feel much better today. The game industry is alive and well and yes it may not be everybody's cup of tea but it sure is a great business and it beats the hell out of sitting in A office some were!! glad to be part of it.

Phillip du Plessis
www.intrepidsafaris.com
+27 83 633 5197
US cell 817 793 5168

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Phillip

Yes. I'm a lot better today but forbidden to do anything for a week or so & then slowly get back to normal over the following week...... it's a right PITA not being able to do anything though.

I'm very surprised they don't use AI over there as it's very old technology nowadays & would increase profit margins many times over.

Hell, even bakkies have mini freezers nowadays so it'd be a doddle to do.

one of us
Picture of Jorge400
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
As I suggested earlier, it's a very lucrative business but I guess not without it's risks.

Imagine spending that sort of money & then have the animal croak on you! Eeker

I shared camp my first night in the Caprivi with a Namibian game farmer who shared a story of a tremendous sable bull that they paid what seemed to be to be an obnoxious amount for and it died not long after they acquired it. I recall they were moving it (or going to move it) and it either died in the process of the move or in the process of drugging it. Kind of like a team's first round draft pick blowing his knee out before the season starts.

George

"...Africa. I love it, and there is no reason for me to explore why. She affects some people that way, and those who feel as I do need no explanation." from The Last Safari

Posts: 839 | Location: Cumming, Georgia USA | Registered: 17 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
It happens. A friend of mine bought a herd of blesbok at a game auction some years ago & someone didn't lock the tailgate of the transport vehicle properly & the whole lot fell out on the highway when the vehicle was travelling at about 100 kph! jumping

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I just want to see someone "collect" the semen from "Mystery"! Eeker

I don't think it works like equine fertilization?

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
STEVE Believe it or not you can insure these animals!!

Phillip du Plessis
www.intrepidsafaris.com
+27 83 633 5197
US cell 817 793 5168

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rusty I sure as hell don't want that job!!

Phillip du Plessis
www.intrepidsafaris.com
+27 83 633 5197
US cell 817 793 5168

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Phillip

I know you can insure them but in this case, he didn't. Wink

As for harvesting the semen, assuming the correct handling system, crush & other equipment it wouldn't be any more difficult to do than any other large animal & believe me, they do it to other animals much larger than cape buffalo.

Reduced to it's most basic, all they do is with the use of a handling system, get it in a crush & shove a cattle prod up it's arse & it's done as a matter of course all around the world for many decades let alone years & a Google search will show plenty of info on such equipment.

Let's hope Hooker doesn't hear about it because if he ever does, there'll be mayhem!

jumping

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve How was it you collected sperm from animals????? did your rectal cavity have something to do with it????? Big Grin

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve what cavity did you say you collected sperm???? Big Grin

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Mate, you'll find details of how to do it with a Google search but if I see you with any kind of a cattle prod in your hands then (despite my buggered hip) I'm running like hell for the hills!

Eeker jumping Eeker

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thought you might have intimate knowledge of how to collect sperm from buffalo. Big Grin

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ddrhook:
I thought you might have intimate knowledge of how to collect sperm from buffalo. Big Grin

jumping yuck jumping

One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
Mate, you'll find details of how to do it with a Google search but if I see you with any kind of a cattle prod in your hands then (despite my buggered hip) I'm running like hell for the hills!

Eeker jumping Eeker

If I see that large hatted hog dude anywhere near me with a cattle prod in hand, there will be trouble an' some' splainin' on my part to the boys in blue. stir

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Just the thought of Hooker appearing over the horizon clutching a cattle prod makes my blood run cold! animal