New
Find
Notify
Tools

Unethical?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
As I was researching hunting websites, I found the following statement from an outfitter in the Eastern Cape:

“We do however not allow any calibre less than 6.5mm to be used on the Safari. lt is not ethical as it increases the chances of wounding an animal.”

This surprised me greatly as the 25-06 and certainly a 257 Weatherby Magnum could be considered ideal for many of the smaller Eastern Cape species like common duiker, springbuck, impala, vaal rhebok, cape grysbok, mountain reedbuck, etc.

Publically stating that using a smaller caliber than 6.5mm is unethical for some of the Eastern Cape’s plains game makes me personally question their knowledge of ballistics. In fact it would concern me enough to eliminate them from my list of potential future hunts.

I certainly appreciate anyone’s opinion, but why would you place that type of statement on your website and potentially eliminate future customers? Would it not be wiser to “recommend” calibers? Opinions???

Posts: 223 | Location: South Dakota, USA | Registered: 27 March 2012Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
If you look enough around some of the South African websites, you will see so many silly statements.

In fact, I actually met one at a hunting show who was so adamant that animals are so precious do do not allow a hunter to shoot more than one of each species!!?

And he was offering hunts on farms!!?

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67394 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Different people, different opinions.

I shoot a 375 H&H for everything but I wouldn't hesitate to use a 22.250 - 243 with the right bullets for a number of the smaller antelope.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12592 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
Different people, different opinions.

I for one don't consider a 25-06 let alone a 257w ideal for smaller game like cape grysbok. If I felt strongly enough about it I would say its not ethical. I don't feel that strong about it so I just say that its a poor choice.

I imagine a lot of outfitters believe that larger calibers will help compensate for what they cannot talk about. That being the horrible shots that show up on safari too often for their liking.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
SDS, Rather than not showing a knowledge of ballistics, perhaps the outfitter has experienced his share of less-than-stellar smaller caliber shooters and feels, for these hunters, bigger may be better. I know of two WY antelope guides who prefer their clients bring rifles larger than .243...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Me thinks they mean as a minimum caliber for PG from Duiker to Eland. I do not think they would object to you using a 6mm or .25 on a Duiker or Impala but on you dream Eland ....think the certainly would object.

Posts: 885 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My guess is that they sincerely believe what they wrote, and that using the smallest caliber possible is not a game worth playing even if it costs them business.

At least they are upfront about their policy. The customers are free to go somewhere else with their 25s, 6mms and money.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I for one don't consider a 25-06 let alone a 257w ideal for smaller game like cape grysbok. If I felt strongly enough about it I would say its not ethical. I don't feel that strong about it so I just say that its a poor choice.
[/QUOTE]

Just for curiousity, do you think .257 is too big or too small?

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Neil-PH
posted Hide Post
When it comes to the shooting event it's not the calibre that creates the unethical aspect, but rather poor shooting from the hunter.

Posts: 534 | Location: The Plains of Africa | Registered: 07 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Having culled over a thousand springbok, blesbok, reedbuck, and impala with a 25-06 and later with a 260 Rem, his statement holds no validity. Lots of old timers shot everything including ele with a 7x57 without any problems so today's quarter bores with all the excellent bullets choices can get the job done without any concern whatsoever.

HOWEVER, IF I was a PH and dealing with clients, I would set a .270 as an absolute minimum for the small guys, a .300WM for the medium guys, and .375 for everything else up to ele. Chasing wounded animals is not much fun for anyone. So carry a big gun, please shoot straight and leave "ethics" out of the conversation.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dogleg,

You must be kidding?

Just thinking about the poor taxidermist that would have to put little Humpty Dumpty back together again.

close range + high velocity + tiny animal = less than ideal life size mount.

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
I'm with Fjold
375 minimum for Africa, that way one rifle thru all the hassles

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A lot of PH's make statement based on their own experience with clients in the field and that is understandable. Two safari operators that I know very well have made some incredible statements. One hates Weatherby rifles and calibers because a guy had a Weatherby that went off when you closed the bolt (sear engagement) and he had a couple of clients superficially wound animals (frangible bullets). Another hates the 7 RM because of wounded animals (poor bullets). Do not expect your PH to be a real gun/ballistics guy. Most are not.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12917 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd been hunting geese on the river here, very successfully. Then there was a program about such hunting on the local TV outdoor show.
I knew what was comming.Many complaints - illegal, unethyical etc. It was neither ! In fact it was a very old technique of the American Indian . From stirring up the antis and the clueless and encouraging the skill-less it ruined things. I watched 4 canoes [ 8 "hunters " x3 = 24 rounds ] come upon a small group of geese .After the noise settled they had taken ONE goose .
But I suppose these African hunters would be insulted if they had to pass a proficiency test !

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
A lot of PH's make statement based on their own experience with clients in the field and that is understandable. Two safari operators that I know very well have made some incredible statements. One hates Weatherby rifles and calibers because a guy had a Weatherby that went off when you closed the bolt (sear engagement) and he had a couple of clients superficially wound animals (frangible bullets). Another hates the 7 RM because of wounded annals (poor bullets). Do not expect your PH to be a real gun/ballistics guy. Most are not.

Mark

Those magnum rounds were frequently loaded with bullets that could not stand up to the velocity.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
You must be kidding?

Just thinking about the poor taxidermist that would have to put little Humpty Dumpty back together again.

A solid from a .416 does a lot less damage than a high velocity expandable bullet from a smaller calibre -- except for a warthog I took a Texas heart shot on that just simply came unwound. Never seen anything like it.

Posts: 10127 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joester:
SDS, Rather than not showing a knowledge of ballistics, perhaps the outfitter has experienced his share of less-than-stellar smaller caliber shooters and feels, for these hunters, bigger may be better. I know of two WY antelope guides who prefer their clients bring rifles larger than .243...

I think he might be showing either his own inexperience or the inexperience of some he has hunted with.

With today's bullets, I would not even hesitate of shooting ANY plains game with either a 25 caliber of a 6.5 caliber rifle.

And I can even give him a written guarantee that no animals would require a second shot, under shooting conditions on a farm!

In other countries, there are minimum calibers for certain animals.

That is different than what the outfitter is showing above.

Posts: 67394 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
quote:
You must be kidding?

A solid from a .416 does a lot less damage than a high velocity expandable bullet from a smaller calibre -- except for a warthog I took a Texas heart shot on that just simply came unwound. Never seen anything like it.

Saw the aftermath of a klipspringer that was shot with a 7mm Dakota. Resembled a shaved poodle lying next to a pile of pine straw. Was beyond taxidermist help.

My only question was "Why?"

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
quote:
You must be kidding?

Did you get a pict?

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Lesser bore sizes than 6.5 mm are unethical for plains game?

That's asinine.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13473 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Damn! And, to think I killed a blue duiker with a 22LR about 3 months ago in the EC. I guess I'm one of the unethical type!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well if your client brings only one rifle (as most do), and considering most clients want to shoot some bigger species as well, the statement makes sense. I would not shoot a kudu with anything smaller than a 6.5, or a BWB with anything smaller than a 30 (although I have done it with a 250 Savage).

Interestingly, many South Africans use the 222 to shoot springbok, impala and the like.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2928 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Navaluk:
Dogleg,

You must be kidding?

Oh, I know that it would pop like a balloon, just wondering what you thought. I don't think that a messy kill is unethical though, a quick death is a quick death. Probably a faster death that the steinbuck I shot with a .375. That ran maybe 30 feet.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
He said he would consider the 25-06 and 257w as ideal for grysbok. I simply do not agree. I'm not getting into ethics at all.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Reminds me of the time we were following kudu tracks, and I had a 270 rifle with me.

We saw fresh tracks of a big male lion.

I said "what do we do is we see the lion?"

My Ph said "shoot it!"

I said "we have the wrong caliber rifle for lion"

He said "I am sure he would not know the difference!"

One of Us
Picture of Jan Dumon
posted Hide Post
Good one ! There was an old timer in my area , who had sadly passed away now , whom I knew very well. He shot well over a hundred Lion in his life time under different circumstances . All of them fell to his 6.5 x 55 , even the wounded ones he had to follow up. His family eventually bought him a 30 06. He thought it was a cannon !

Jan Dumon
Professional Hunter& Outfitter
www.shumbasafaris.com

+27 82 4577908

Posts: 774 | Location: Greater Kruger - South Africa | Registered: 10 August 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunted the Eastern Cape with a 257 WBY custom rifle and 90gr XBT's years ago.

Took 3 Cape Kudu, black and white springbok, mountain reedbuck, bushpig, common reedbuck, vaal rhebok, grey duiker and a klipspringer.......with no massive damage to the capes and only one kudu requiring a second shot.

Mates of mine in Namibia use the 25-06 quite a bit and you will always see 243's on cull hunts........

Posts: 15784 | Location: Australia and Saint Germain en Laye | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dogleg:
quote:
Dogleg,

You must be kidding?

Oh, I know that it would pop like a balloon, just wondering what you thought. I don't think that a messy kill is unethical though, a quick death is a quick death. Probably a faster death that the steinbuck I shot with a .375. That ran maybe 30 feet.

I did shoot a Cape grysbok with a 300 WSM and 165 grain Barnes TTSX. The shot was perfectly broadside and the bullet entered tight behind the shoulder and exited tight behind the shoulder. There was a .308 hole going in and a thumb sized hole coming out. I would imagine the same shot with my 257 Weatherby and a TTSX would create an even smaller exit.

On another trip I shot a two impala,

Posts: 223 | Location: South Dakota, USA | Registered: 27 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blair 338RUM:

Took 3 Cape Kudu, black and white springbok, mountain reedbuck, bushpig, common reedbuck, vaal rhebok, grey duiker and a klipspringer.......with no massive damage to the capes and only one kudu requiring a second shot.

Mates of mine in Namibia use the 25-06 quite a bit and you will always see 243's on cull hunts........

I used a .257 Weatherby with 100 grain Barnes TSX to take a vaal rhebok, mountain reedbuck, fallow deer, blesbuck, warthog, steenbuck, common duiker, springbuck, bushbuck, oribi two common duiker and two implala. The bullets performed flawlessly.

My hunting partner shot ten animals with his .257 Weatherby including a kudu and all were very fast kills.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SDSpink:
quote:
Originally posted by Dogleg:
quote:
Dogleg,

You must be kidding?

I did shoot a Cape grysbok with a 300 WSM and 165 grain Barnes TTSX. The shot was perfectly broadside and the bullet entered tight behind the shoulder and exited tight behind the shoulder. There was a .308 hole going in and a thumb sized hole coming out. I would imagine the same shot with my 257 Weatherby and a TTSX would create an even smaller exit.

On another trip I shot a two impala,

Don't bet on it. Wind the speed up to 35-3600 and see what you get.

Or maybe a 100 grain Ballistic-tip? This is the entrance, there was no exit but it made it to the hide on the far side. Don't get me wrong, I like the .257 'Bee. Lightning fast kills on deer sized and smaller animals and usually a mess to go with it. I just don't take it to Africa is all.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
First time I went on a guided mule deer hunt in Wyoming I brought my 257 Weatherby and the guide tried to insist I use his 30.06 because he felt the 100 grain Hornady bullets were too small. I refused and on the third day of a five day hunt I took a 26" wide 4 point that was facing me downhill at 270 yds on the rangefinder. The " little" 100 gr. hornady took out the heart, one lung, thru the guts and ended up in perfect mushroom in the left ham. Guide told me after the he needed to get one of them California guns. Its all in bullet placement.

Posts: 205 | Registered: 09 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SDSpink:
quote:
Originally posted by Blair 338RUM:

I used a .257 Weatherby with 100 grain Barnes TSX to take a vaal rhebok, mountain reedbuck, fallow deer, blesbuck, warthog, steenbuck, common duiker, springbuck, bushbuck, oribi two common duiker and two implala. The bullets performed flawlessly.

My hunting partner shot ten animals with his .257 Weatherby including a kudu and all were very fast kills.

Nice one tu2

Posts: 15784 | Location: Australia and Saint Germain en Laye | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul C:
First time I went on a guided mule deer hunt in Wyoming I brought my 257 Weatherby and the guide tried to insist I use his 30.06 because he felt the 100 grain Hornady bullets were too small. I refused and on the third day of a five day hunt I took a 26" wide 4 point that was facing me downhill at 270 yds on the rangefinder. The " little" 100 gr. hornady took out the heart, one lung, thru the guts and ended up in perfect mushroom in the left ham. Guide told me after the he needed to get one of them California guns. Its all in bullet placement.

One of mine has a couple of moose to its credit, with the cheapest factory loads. Its maybe not a great endorsement because I've only got a $30 tag and some gas money invested in the project and fully understand that there are shots that cant be taken that would be perfectly viable with a .300, .338 or .375.

There are plenty of situations in Africa that a .257 would be tailor made for; and many where it would be stretching things and still others where it would be a real handicap. Its not so much that there isn't a right way to use it, but there are a lot of wrong ways too. 270 yards on a mulie; perfect. 27 yards on a eland; not a good idea. You can buy a couple Weatherbys for the price of messing that up.

one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
My 260Rem goes to Africa with me every year on plains game hunts. In fact I haven't taken my 375 for the last three years, (although that changes this year) as I haven't felt the need for it.

I understand that some PH's have had experiences that sway their opinions on calibers but almost always it is about the guy pulling the trigger or poor bullet choice.

K

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Bullet placement is paramount, selection of the proper bullet for the job at hand is also important.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a beautiful 6.5x 54 MS takedown Jeffery rifle. Seems I have read a number of stories about the old African hunters using this caliber with good results. We have killed sever hundred whitetail deer at my ranch with the 260 REM.and 140 Core Lint bullets. Evidently we must be doing something wrong.

You can borrow money but you can not borrow time. Go hunting with your family.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
So this outfitter thinks a man hunting with him who is so out of his depths, shooting a large bore rifle he cannot handle, is better than a man hunting with a 6.5 caliber rifle and knows how to shoot it?

Makes sense I suppose to someone who is so out of touch with reality about what hunting is.

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
My quote on this, " If you can't hit a cow in the ass with a snow shovel, it doesn't matter what rifle you are shooting. A bullet in the boiler room does wonders." Eeker shocker

Mike tu2

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
So this outfitter thinks a man hunting with him who is so out of his depths, shooting a large bore rifle he cannot handle, is better than a man hunting with a 6.5 caliber rifle and knows how to shoot it?

Makes sense I suppose to someone who is so out of touch with reality about what hunting is.

He doesn't seem to have any problem with 6.5s.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
His outfit = his rules.

He probably has good reason for his rule. You could always ask him instead of complaining on the internet.