New
Find
Notify
Tools

Snakebite protection
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
My grandmother was once bitten by an adder.She felt something like a bee sting on her finger and lifted up her arm to find the snake hanging on her finger.
She was lucky as she came close to losing her arm.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have never been on safari without seeing a snake.

We normally come across a number of them, and on many occassions we have seen black and green mambas.

On a number of occassions, we have come avery close to the.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
The 'pitbull' did not even make midnight. She received a massive invenomation. No hope in hell of surviving the amount of tissue damage.

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
18 safaris, nine sub-Saharan countries and only one snake. 2001 in Tanzania.

Problem is he fell/jumped into my lap in an open land cruiser while driving through long grass in the Selous, possibly from a tree. He and I played patty-cake for a bit as I tried to knock him from the vehicle - twice - put the SOB refused to leave! So I knocked him onto the floorboard and we then gave him sole possession of the cruiser. Lots more to the story. I hate snakes but was too stunned to be scared.

I think this qualifies me for the most intimate experience with a snake in africa, sans bite.

Oh, he was green, but I didn't get his name.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jaco Human:
Usually snakes are more scared of you than you of them. When snakes hear a noise or see you the will mostly sail away. If you see a snake, stop and give him time to move away, never block a snake's escape or corner him, that is when they attack. Slowly reverse if you see a snake and keep watching him.

Never scratch around in piles of wood or rubbish, it is a favourite hiding place for mice, rats and frogs, they are all snake food.

When you climb over an obstacle, make sure what is on the other side of the obstacle. Puffadders love the sunny side of rocks and tree stumps.

If you are betten, keep still. Venom is transported in the body's limph system, you need to slow that down. Bandage the affected limb with a bandage, not to tight. You start from closest to the heart to the furtest part past the bite wound. Elevate the affected limb and get to a hospital, make sure someone knows CPR. If you are given anti venom make sure you get a shot of anti histamine aswell, to prevent an allergic shock.

I had a few encounters with snakes and were never close to be bitten. The worst was when I almost stepped on a pythons head.

Be careful and you will be okay - Enjoy your hunt.
tu2

One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LionHunter:
18 safaris, nine sub-Saharan countries and only one snake. 2001 in Tanzania.

Problem is he fell/jumped into my lap in an open land cruiser while driving through long grass in the Selous, possibly from a tree. He and I played patty-cake for a bit as I tried to knock him from the vehicle - twice - put the SOB refused to leave! So I knocked him onto the floorboard and we then gave him sole possession of the cruiser. Lots more to the story. I hate snakes but was too stunned to be scared.

I think this qualifies me for the most intimate experience with a snake in africa, sans bite.

Oh, he was green, but I didn't get his name.

How big was the laundry maid's tip??? Roll Eyes

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Take your mother-in-law along.
Out of profession curtisy the snakes will leave you alone
Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, Lavaca, I also thought it was a feeble attempt at black humor and he was smiling but I also suspect if it was a large puffadder or mamba, that might not be that far off course. Yes they can give you CPR to help sustain life but my wife would just sue them if they did that. jumping

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
Watch were you walk, 2 trackers and my PH missed this, I did not!!!!

Bushveld cobra!

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've seen more bad snakes around camp than in the bush. Puff adders particularly seem to like the paths in a lot of camps. My first trip to Tanzania was photographic and there was a lot of discussion about a teenage girl who died from snakebite the previous week in a tent camp. She was hit in their tent at night and her father refused local treatment wanting to wait till morning when she could be flown out. The locals said it was a bamboo snake so I have no idea what it was.
We had a mamba decide to share a leopard blind one afternoon and that got very interesting for a while.
I saw a before and after snakebite with a PH in Zimbabwe. He was showing off with a small puff adder and it managed to get him lightly on the tip of his thumb. When we returned to that camp 10 days later his thumb looked a month old bannana.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
While hunting in Cameroon I had my tracker in front of me step over a puff adder without seeing it at all. As I was stepping down (on top of it ! Eeker) I looked down and saw the nasty SOB. I jumped so violently to the left that I had s side ache for several minutes. After chopping of its head my men took it back to camp for their dining pleasure ..

Posts: 1544 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jaco Human
posted Hide Post
My son Preller, with a 2.6 black mamba that had a go at him. The snake lost.

Life is how you spend the time between hunting trips.

Through Responsible Sustainable hunting we serve Conservation.
Outfitter permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/73984
PH permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/81197
Jaco Human
SA Hunting Experience

jacohu@mweb.co.za
www.sahuntexp.com

Posts: 1250 | Location: Centurion and Limpopo RSA | Registered: 02 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have seen a few snakes on my trips to Africa. During my hunt to Namibia in 2010, we killed a 10 foot mamba. We also saw a few puffadders. It was in March so we did have a bit of rain. One day after the morning hunt, we went back to camp for a bit of rest. It was a nice day with the sun shining. I was sitting in the courtyard reading a book and dozed off. I felt something rubbing my left elbow. I was still half asleep as the rubbing continued for a moment. I was a bit groggy as I tilted my head to my left and halfway opened my eyes.

Not more than two inches from my nose was the green head of a snake. My brain immediately registered Mamba or boomslang and neither one was one I wanted to kiss. Talk about jumping up and out of a chair and running and screaming like a girl. I never knew I could move like that. My PH ( a real snake lover) and my hunting buddy's came running. They caught the snake. It was a 5 ft boomslang.

Cheers, Steve

Posts: 153 | Location: Riverside, CA Lake Havasu, AZ | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
That must have been something to see, 'cause those damn things can move. Cool

one of us
posted Hide Post
Indeed, and so can the people they spook. Cool If I knew how to attach a pic, I would show the critter.

Cheers, Steve

Posts: 153 | Location: Riverside, CA Lake Havasu, AZ | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Pulicords
posted Hide Post
Took this pic two hours ago while on today's hike. Not in Africa (just Los Angeles County, CA), and lots of easy access to excellent medical are, but I still wouldn't want to step on him/her! It's a good sized Southern Pacific Rattlesnake (about 4' long).

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Tanzania 2012: http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/8331015971
Saskatoon, Canada 2013: http://forums.accuratereloadin...4121043/m/7171030391
Las Pampas, Argentina 2014: http://forums.accuratereloadin...4107165/m/1991059791

Posts: 260 | Location: Scottsdale, AZ | Registered: 19 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been bitten twice, small Pygmy rattler and small cottonmouth. I was in the wrong both times.i have been to Africa 32 times and yes I have seen some bad ones but nothing close to being bitten. Anti venom is dangerous in the wrong hands. The key is getting to medical attention as fast as possible. If you are bitten by a mamba you have to get equipment before you are totally done if so the machine will breath for you and your chances are great. My biggest fear would be the tissue damage by a big viper of any kind. These snakes while may not kill as often do horrible damage for life. Just be careful and odds are in your favor better than going out to dinner and a movie in any city in the USA.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: 24 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Been to Africa 3 times now never seen a snake and I hope it stays that way on future trips.

I find that when I go hunting in Texas I worry much more about snakes than when I'm in Africa. Don't know why I guess big Rattlers just freak me out.

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted 16 March 2013 10:12 Hide Post
Does anybody know for a fact if a client has ever been bitten (by a snake) in Africa?

Mike

I'm sure someone here will help me get the details right but I believe in the last two years Global Rescue evacuated a hunter from Namibia who was bitten by a cobra that had been hiding under his bed.

one of us
Picture of Alan Bunn
posted Hide Post
The Ultimate Field Guide for Southern African Snakes

Cheers,

~ Alan

Life Member NRA
Life Member SCI

email: editorusa(@)africanxmag(dot)com

African Expedition Magazine: http://www.africanxmag.com/

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/alan.p.bunn

Twitter: http://twitter.com/EditorUSA

Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. ~Keller

To be persuasive we must be believable; to be believable we must be credible; to be credible we must be truthful. ~ Murrow

Posts: 1112 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 09 March 2001Reply With Quote