New
Find
Notify
Tools

Effects of a Full Moon on Hunting
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just wanted to get some input from a knowlegdeable group of individuals on what effect (if any) that hunting African game during a full moon has, particularly with regard to sitatunga.

Posts: 344 | Location: Reno, Nevada | Registered: 05 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jaglav,

I personally think the moon phase is very important. Concerning sitatunga specifically it was very obvious to me on my two sitatunga hunts that hunting them on dark of the moon was far better than on the full moon. On the dark of the moon the bulls stay out of the payrus longer in the morning and come out earlier in the evening.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12877 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Just an observation here, and have 0 knowledge about African hunting of any kind. However I have, over the years noticed that moon phases can and do play a significant role in game movement/activity where I hunt here in Texas.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't know anything about sitatunga, but just got back from Tazania. Was just a sliver of moon at start of safari and went to full by the end. Saw much more game during the first half of the safari. Several days toward the end were rather slow as far as volume of game spotted. We still did well, just saw fewer animals. Coincidence?

Posts: 10037 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
http://lunaf.com/english/moon-...lunar-calendar-2014/

I found this and i am using this to plan my trip next year.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11007 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
When I hunted Africa the PH paid little attention to the moonphase except when hunting Leopard and he had definite beliefs that Leopards were greatly affected by the full moon. He was and is greatly successful at hunting them so maybe he was right.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Hunting sitatunga during full moon is difficult.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9875 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Whether Sitatunga, elk, or White-tailed deer...hunting during a full moon is always more difficult.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36650 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Neil-PH
posted Hide Post
A lot of game feed at night regardless of the moon conditions and so move around less during daylight hours.

That said, I don't believe there is sufficient evidence to plan a full hunt around the moon phases unless Leopard hunting, and more specifically Leopard hunting on ranch land. Speaking from experience, I did find they were more difficult to encounter during brightly lit nights.

A general 14 day safari takes in periods of bright moonlight and periods of darkness. I can't recall any posts whereby a client has described a difficult hunt because of the moon.

Posts: 534 | Location: The Plains of Africa | Registered: 07 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
Whether Sitatunga, elk, or White-tailed deer...hunting during a full moon is always more difficult.

A good torch is always handy.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9875 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I shot a spotted hyena on a full moon in June. We also saw two leopard the night before, and also during that full moon. One leopard was just in front of the blind, and the second leopard was at the bait and spent quite a bit of time there. (No leopard tag unfortunately) With that said, I have had easier hunting overall in Africa and here in the West during the dark of the moon.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replies. Greatly appreciated.

Posts: 344 | Location: Reno, Nevada | Registered: 05 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
If. You were to believe two of our PH's the animals may as well be living in underground tunnels during a full moon phase!!!

K

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
When our truck broke down on the way back to camp, I was glad it was a full moon walking back to camp beer

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67042 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote