Tools

$ Doxycycline......
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
for sure Costco is the cheapest place i have found. and is $100 or so is a major problem, it seems to me that the cost of African hunting will be a MUCH bigger problem.

Don't forget to factor in sunblock. Big Grin

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7623 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
for sure Costco is the cheapest place i have found. and is $100 or so is a major problem, it seems to me that the cost of African hunting will be a MUCH bigger problem.

While I agree with you Jerry. Y'all are missing Gato's point.

It does not HAVE to be that expensive. It is only because FDA manipulations of raw material sources that it is.

You can take it from someone who used to buy and dispense a BUNCH of it...one day it was dirt cheap...the next it was unavailable...now it is cost prohibitive for many horses. It did not happen over-night just by chance.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37739 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lane,

The problem is that the info you highlighted in red is your own supposition. Do you have any documentation that says that the shortage of raw materials was due to the plant "not being up to FDA code"?

Mutual makes alot generics not just doxy. If their plant was not up to snuff then the production of other generics should have been affected as well.

When I was getting my PharmD I did a rotation at the Colorado State Vet Med hospital. It was a wonderful experience and I gained insights that proportionately few pharmacists have. I know how cost conscious vets are. I spent alot of time working with the food animal people trying to find effective ways to treat animals so
costs wouldn't eat into profits.

As for the quality of medications in Africa I think there is huge variability. The FDA is concerned enough about fake anti-malarials to
develop a device to screen counterfeits.

FDA device

There is no doubt that prices on drugs do fluctuate based on supply and demand. Unfortunately we are dealing with
an extreme case with doxy and it is of interest to us as hunters because many of us use it for Africa.

In reality the cost of doxy while expensive is still a drop in the bucket compared to the cost of the safari. Furthermore hunters who think that they should just buy it when they get there are gambling with their health. They are gambling by starting the medication late as well as gambling on whether they are getting an effective product in Africa. My goal is to give hunters practical advice rather than turn this thread into a discussion of health care costs.

None of us like to feel bent over but in the grand scheme of things $100 is nothing especially when you are trying to prevent a disease that could kill you.

Posts: 481 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: 20 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am taking doxycycline with me on every trip regardless of the costs.
I can't comprehend risking ones health over a relatively minor amount of money compared to the cost of a safari.

The "whys" behind the price change are interesting.

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
I can't comprehend risking ones health over a relatively minor amount of money compared to the cost of a safari.

Larry nailed it again. The discussion is a non-issue relative to the safari.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rxgremlin:
Lane,

The problem is that the info you highlighted in red is your own supposition. Do you have any documentation that says that the shortage of raw materials was due to the plant "not being up to FDA code"?

Mutual makes alot generics not just doxy. If their plant was not up to snuff then the production of other generics should have been affected as well.

When I was getting my PharmD I did a rotation at the Colorado State Vet Med hospital. It was a wonderful experience and I gained insights that proportionately few pharmacists have. I know how cost conscious vets are. I spent alot of time working with the food animal people trying to find effective ways to treat animals so
costs wouldn't eat into profits.

As for the quality of medications in Africa I think there is huge variability. The FDA is concerned enough about fake anti-malarials to
develop a device to screen counterfeits.

FDA device

There is no doubt that prices on drugs do fluctuate based on supply and demand. Unfortunately we are dealing with
an extreme case with doxy and it is of interest to us as hunters because many of us use it for Africa.

In reality the cost of doxy while expensive is still a drop in the bucket compared to the cost of the safari. Furthermore hunters who think that they should just buy it when they get there are gambling with their health. They are gambling by starting the medication late as well as gambling on whether they are getting an effective product in Africa. My goal is to give hunters practical advice rather than turn this thread into a discussion of health care costs.

None of us like to feel bent over but in the grand scheme of things $100 is nothing especially when you are trying to prevent a disease that could kill you.

Sir...I am in 100% agreement with all of you on the starting of doxy before you leave and the price being a drop in the bucket as compared to the hunt. And...yes, whatever it costs...I will buy it.

But back to the FDA and cost...the FDA shut down some raw-material plants and limited the souces that companies like Mutual could buy from. Those are the facts as I was told by our vendors. As you probably know in veterinary medicine we stock our own dispensing pharmacies. So we buy straight from companies like Mutual as well.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37739 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:

+1 tu2 the "whys" are interesting but at the end of the day, my life is worth more than $100.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13390 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Absolutely !

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

+1 tu2 the "whys" are interesting but at the end of the day, my life is worth more than $100.

+2 guys

Was just saying...

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Canada has plenty and is CHEAP!!

My wife had to take it for 28 mos with a backer after 8 weeks of IV's for MRSA infection after Hip surgery....pocket change to buy it for that period....no issues except serious Yeast issues!!

We just did a 4 month World Cruise which included a month in Africa- Madagascar, Mozi, SA, Namibia and the entire West Coast...Univ of Wash Travelers Clinic did NOT recommend Doxy this time....not effective for certain types of Malaria....Malarone was prescribed...on and off as we made the circuit.

We have used Doxy on last three safaris with excellent results...but BE CAREFUL where you are going to make sure Doxy is effective with types of Malaria you might encounter. Not ALL are Covered!!

We will be back to Doxy in the future over heavy duty Malaria prophylaxis when recommended...watch out for serious sun burn...and the nice thing on cruises, or other public exposures...you don't get the typical Crud of the Port when you are taking it!!

Cheers,

470EDDY

Posts: 2666 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote