Find
Notify
Tools

If money were no object...
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Lightning
posted
and you wanted to go on a full bag safari, where would you go. You can give references, but please talk more about regions and countries. The following is a list of criteria in ORDER of importance.

1) Game quality, true trophy opportunity.
2) Overall experience opportunity. ie scenery, accomendations, whatever makes the safari for you.
3) Ease of finding a good outfitter in said region
4) Game Quanity

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 246 | Location: Argyle, TX | Registered: 16 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
There is only one place where one can go on a classic, general bag safari, and that is Tanzania. I would spend three months.

One third in the Moyowasi, one third in Masailand and one third in the Selous.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13639 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Edit the above to include 2 months is several of the blocks in TZ, and you get my vote.

Posts: 87 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of baboon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrlexma:
There is only one place where one can go on a classic, general bag safari, and that is Tanzania. I would spend three months.

One third in the Moyowasi, one third in Masailand and one third in the Selous.

This sounds pretty good,but I would take more time climb Kilimanjaro,check out lakes Tanganyika & Victoria.Checkout the parks and end it fishing the coast.

Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war;
That this foul deed shall smell above the earth
With carrion men, groaning for burial.

Posts: 1107 | Location: Houston Texas | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
Lightening //

You know IF is the biggest little word in the dictionary and the old saying that if my grandmother had ba..s she would be my grandfather is so true.

Also dear Bill Clinton had a problem as well with IF

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the—if he—if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not—that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement."
—Grand Jury testimony (August 17, 1998)

BUT seriously, you should never run us through the TORMENT of saying (if money was not a problem) bawling

BUT if it was not, then Tanzania would be a damn good start for the CLASSIC hunting safari

Peter

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanajcj
posted Hide Post
if money and time were truly no object!!

A true safari, Tent camps only, on foot using for a full bag, in east africa, (obviously no kenya but) Botswana, Mozambique, tanzania and then into the congo for a forest buffalo, forest elephant and bongo without dogs.

well maybe kenya if I had enough money for the right people!!!!!!!!!!

LostHorizonsOutfitters.com
----------------------------
"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas"
Davy Crockett 1835
----------------------------

Posts: 696 | Location: Texas, where else! | Registered: 18 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
I would spend January and Febuary hunting in old Mexico for desert sheep, mule deer and coues deer, then come get in some mt lions.

March I would rest.

April on my way to NZ then OZ then New Caledonia.

May bear hunting in Canada, Alaska, or Russia

June-Sept 01 Africa top to Bottom Ethiopia, Namibia, Tanzania, Zambia, Botswana, RSA, Mozambique, CAR, Cameroon, Benin, Chad, Sudan.
September 01 in Europe hunting red stags, wild boar, and moose.

October in Wyoming and Montana chasing elk and mule deer.

November in Texas and all that Texas offers exotic and native.

December I would rest again.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Sharps Shooter
posted Hide Post
There is something in season on this rock we call earth year round, and I would hunt year round. And as Bilbo Baggins would say it "He lived happily, to the end of his days".

Know many, trust few, and paddle your own canoe.
No good deed goes unpunished.

Posts: 25 | Location: Fort McMurray, Alberta, Canada | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CaneCorso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D99:
I would spend January and Febuary hunting in old Mexico for desert sheep, mule deer and coues deer, then come get in some mt lions.

March I would rest.

April on my way to NZ then OZ then New Caledonia.

May bear hunting in Canada, Alaska, or Russia

June-Sept 01 Africa top to Bottom Ethiopia, Namibia, Tanzania, Zambia, Botswana, RSA, Mozambique, CAR, Cameroon, Benin, Chad, Sudan.
September 01 in Europe hunting red stags, wild boar, and moose.

October in Wyoming and Montana chasing elk and mule deer.

November in Texas and all that Texas offers exotic and native.

December I would rest again.

That's waaay too much resting for me!

~~~

Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
1 Corinthians 16:13

Posts: 622 | Location: CA, USA | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lightening,

Even though I've hunted Tanzania and I will again. I think if I could spend perhaps six weeks and had a budget of say $100,000 I'd like hunt all the areas of the coutry that I haven't got to yet.

As far as I'm concerned Masailand is the most interesting safari destination I have been to so I would need some time there. I would need to spend time in the Selous looking for elephant and a Nyasa wildebeest. Also I would like several days along the Moyoshi in western Tanzania to look for a sitatunga.

I really think Tanzanaia deserves several safaris if a guy can do it.

Regards,

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13011 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of invader66
posted Hide Post
At least I know I have picked the right contry for 06, now where is the question?

Semper Fi
WE BAND OF BUBBAS
STC Hunting Club

Posts: 1684 | Location: Walker Co,Texas | Registered: 27 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lightning:
and you wanted to go on a full bag safari, where would you go. You can give references, but please talk more about regions and countries. The following is a list of criteria in ORDER of importance.

1) Game quality, true trophy opportunity.
2) Overall experience opportunity. ie scenery, accomendations, whatever makes the safari for you.
3) Ease of finding a good outfitter in said region
4) Game Quanity

Thanks in advance.

I'd try to recreate a little Hemingway / Ruark safari in Tanzania as much possible. Tent camps, some fly camps when needed, the whole bit. I'd book with Mark Selby and we'd got out for about 3 months. (You did say money was no object!)

I'd just take it easy; shoot a few trophies that I wanted, enjoy the scenery and the camp life. Do some bird shooting and a little fishing on the coast too. Do some sightseeing also. Hell, I might even see if Ray Atkinson wanted to tag along! Big Grin

http://www.selbysafaris.com/

-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
I think I'd set out on an inter-galactic sojourn, taking all manner of alien game species.

Hey, it's about as realistic right now as my taking off three months and spending $100K to hunt...Wink

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lightning
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys! Great stuff! But let's narrow it down a bit. Let's keep it to africa and let's eliminate elephant. Give me the best! Common lets hear it from you. The real experience as YOU see it! Trophy quality and the whole exerpience included.
Is Tanzania that better than everywhere else?

Posts: 246 | Location: Argyle, TX | Registered: 16 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
I still say Tanzania for three months in a tent camp but the same time and circumstances in Botswana or Ethiopia would also be attractive. And, yes, if money and technology were no barrier, a prolonged safari on the planet Cretacea is what I really want. That might be the one place my .450 Rigby could be considered the light rifle! Big Grin

Sarge

Holland's .375: One Planet, One Rifle . . . for one hundred years!

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Jeez, some of you sure have limited imaginations.

At least 4 months.

I would start in Ethiopia for a full month.

Then to:
1. Western Tanzania
2. Masailand
3. Selous for those long tusked Elephant.

From there to ...
4. Zambia, Luangua Valley for Lion and Buffalo
5. Bangueleu Swamp - Sitatunga, Black Lechwe
6. Kafue Flats for a day - Kafue Lechwe

Then ....
Okavango Delta for at least 3 weeks

Finish off with a whirlwind of Namibia. Elephant Lion and Buffaloin Caprivi, and some easy times plainsgame hunting with my buddy around Etosha.

Of course I would treat Saeed and his crew to the same hunt I was going on. select about 20 of my favorite AR buddies to come along, so be nice to me. You never know when I might inherit all the money in the world.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 30ott6
posted Hide Post
I don't need any money. I'm going with Wendell and the 19 other guys.

Jophn

Posts: 1143 | Location: Cody, WY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm going with Wendell and the 19 other guys.

Am I think only one who thinks camp is going to get a bit crowded? Maybe we should cut it off at you, me, Wendell, and Wendell's money.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 30ott6
posted Hide Post
Maybe Wendell can arrange more than one camp at a time.

John

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 30ott6:
Maybe Wendell can arrange more than one camp at a time.

John

Now you are using your head -- just be sure that the concession doesn't get too crowded!
hijack

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Oops, I meant 2 of my best AR buddies.

Auction closed, looks like 30-06 and CH are going.

Now, if I can just figuire out this money thing ...

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wendell Reich:
Now, if I can just figuire out this money thing ...

The Mega Millions Lottery is up to $170,000,000.

Drawing is tonight, so get your tickets while they last... Big Grin

(Yes, I am invested in a very modest way.)

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Wendell,

I'll carry your bags, keep the gorgeous new double from being scratched, and mix your drinks. How about adding one more guy?

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4781 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
What is 30-06 without SBT? Come on! Besides, it is no fun making fun of you if you are not there!

You don't have to carry my rifles, that is what the deaf mute nympho swimsuit models are for! Well, that and other things ...
Someone has to clean the guns and open the beers right?

Hey, it is my unlimited bling, I will do with it what I want!

My goodness this thread has gone all kinds of wrong ...

one of us
Picture of 30ott6
posted Hide Post
Wendell- glad I got in before the offer closed. Are you gonna have restrictions on the type of underwear we can wear? Secondly, if SBT goes, can he borrow your Remington?

John

one of us
Picture of WyoJoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lightning:
.......let's eliminate elephant......

If money was no object I would definitely have to go for a 28 day safari with Phil Lozano in Tanzania and elephant would be at the top of the menu.

There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Posts: 1172 | Location: Cheyenne, WY | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If money is no object, then just reserve all hunting in 2 adjoining concessions all to yourself for the season.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
My safari would start on one side of the earth and take me all the way around collecting one of every species and subspecies. I'd then have them all full body mounted and displayed in continental dioramas in my trophy room (which would need to be completely re-done and made larger, a lot larger Wink).

To be more down to earth, I'd do two or three 28 day, back-to-back, full bag safaris in various regions of Tanzania (maybe venturing up into the Cameroon/CAR) collecting everything on the trophy list.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If we eliminate elephant from the safari than I guess I'd have to get Rich Elliot to set me up in Ethiopia for mt. nyala and all the rest of the unique trophies in Ethiopia. Also I'd want to spend enough time with Faro West in Cameroon to get the full bag of savanah and forest trophies of course to include the Derby eland and bongo.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13011 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would definitely recommend climbing kili. I did it last time i was in Africa.

An 8x10 of you standing next to the sign on the top is a great addition to the trophy room.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Sharps Shooter
posted Hide Post
Money no problem. Looks like unca BoB is selling Zim to China. So I figure why stop there. I would buy "all" of Africa "the continent" and hunt it like it should be hunted!

Know many, trust few, and paddle your own canoe.
No good deed goes unpunished.

Posts: 25 | Location: Fort McMurray, Alberta, Canada | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote