Find
Notify
Tools

Neck op in three weeks
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi,
As you guys remember I have a herniated disc in my neck, level C6/C7 and the meds aren´t working so I´ll be having surgery in three weeks.

It´ll probably be a laminectomy and I´ll be off work for four weeks.

Now my docs are great but they no f-ckall about guns -when can I start shooting big bore rifles again?

Cheers,

C

http://www.tgsafari.co.za

"What doesn´t kill you makes you stranger!"

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Good luck on your surgery. Take it easy and heal up. Then you can worry about shooting big bores once again. Smiler

One of Us
Picture of Gerhard.Delport
posted Hide Post
cewe,

Good luck with the operation.

I had my doctor appointment today. I broke my C 3 vertebra 9 weeks ago.

C2 to C4 vertebra's have been fused and C 3 build up with bone out of my hip.

I asked the doctor if I will be able to shoot my bow as well as my 500 Jeff and he has full confidence that I will have no problems.

But I will wait at least another 6 months before I will start shooting again and then build up to the heavy caliber....

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
Capture Your African Moments
Hunting Outfitter (MP&LP)
Proffesional Hunter (MP&LP)
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Good luck!

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ej
posted Hide Post
my surgery is set for the 21st of oct. same deal as yours. planning on going hunting in 30 days if i can crawl i will be out there hunting whitetails.My doc said no lifting anything for 4 weeks , he didnt say i couldnt squeeze a trigger Big Grin.
Best of luck !

Africa Bug " Embrace the bite , live for adventure "
EJ Carter 2011

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Best of luck to you.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am not picking on anybody here, but why do people wonder why they do not get the results they want when they fail to follow their physicians advice?

Why go to a fellow, pay him to help you with a problem and then disregard what he says and do what you want?

When the recoil from a big bore dismantles all the micro-surgery that is designed to keep that spinal cord functional and the patient pain free, please be careful to report all the details to the judge and jury at the physicians malpractice trial.At least he deserves that much.

Also tell your doctor of your plans before the surgery as well.He may want to dismiss you as a patient or at the least ,plan his surgery a bit differently.

Good luck to all of you guys that are planning surgery and I hope you get great results.Please go slow with the big bores.In the Big Picture it should pay off in the end.

We seldom get to choose
But I've seen them go both ways
And I would rather go out in a blaze of glory
Than to slowly rot away!

Posts: 1370 | Location: Shreveport,La.USA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ditto to eyedoc. I have no opinion on time course back to big bores. I just give the anesthetic. I do however have a thought on medical advice.
When you pay money to see a doctor, what you are really paying for is his opinion. I'm fond of telling my surgical colleagues that you could train a chimp to operate. What you can't do is give him judgement.
Best of luck to you.

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the support, my friends at AR are always there when I need them.

Eyedoc: Don´t get me wrong but I had a great laugh when I read your feedback. You are absolutely right, 100%, and I´ll try to be patient.

Ej: Let´s keep our fingers crossed!

One of Us
Picture of Ej
posted Hide Post
Cewe: Fingers crossed and prayers sent.

Guys , my doc told me i could shoot in 4 wks time , just not going to be able to hike far or drag the deer or ride an atv. My deal with the doc is i will do whatever rehab etc to enable me to be able to hunt deer before seasons end.
better he tells me there is a chance to do that than squash all my hope before the op.
Cheers
ej

Africa Bug " Embrace the bite , live for adventure "
EJ Carter 2011

One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
cewe:

Best of luck with your surgery.

I can't offer advice, but I would reach out to a number of medical field/doctors that post here and get their advice - being sportsmen, I would think that they know the medical lingo and can offer some advice as to when you can shoot again.

As for myself, I would rather WAIT LONGER THAN RECOMMENDED to ensure I was properly healed before I pulled the trigger once and learned that I could not shoot anymore. But that is just me. Best of luck to you.

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
A little common sense will also go a long way as well.

Take the doctors advice, but be practical about the caliber selection when you do start back to shooting.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
cewe, I will beat your timing by several weeks, I go on October 8 for my operation, i have herniated disc in back. Will be same day surgery. Will have to stay inside lounging for 2 weeks, then start some light office work for several more weeks, should be in pretty good shape in 6 weeks

Had double hernia surgery in Jan 08 which I put off for 10 years. Seems like the older you get the more things break.

Have that new Heym 450/400 that I have not been able to shoot.

Posts: 527 | Location: New Orleans,La. | Registered: 27 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys,

Best of outcomes to ALL of you!!!

Best advice is to follow doctor's orders, do the OT stuff religiously, and work for a long term solution to the problem.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My son, who is only 35, had this surgery about two months ago, & is back to shooting about everything except the super big rifles. Two things: (1) he's a real big guy, & not too recoil sensitive, & (2) by big rifles, I'm talking .458 Lott's & above. He had no trouble with guns up to & including .338 WM. Hope this helps ....... but bottom line, obey the doc's orders, for the long term solution.

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
Searcy Classics 450/.400 3" & .577
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE
Member Dallas Safari Club

Posts: 1586 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Hope your surgery goes wwell! Just take your time and work back up to the big stuff!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good luck. Follow your doctors' advice. When you ask your doctor about shooting, make sure he/she (and my wife says I can't be polically correct)understands we're not talking pea shooters here. Get well. Get hunting.

Posts: 10319 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Best of luck with the surgery my friend. Hope all goes well and you have a speedy recovery.
David

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6814 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
cewe

A few years ago I was in a similar situation as you...

Except it was my Knee.

Problem for my Profession I "needed" my Knee.

IT needed a new ACL some work on the medial? meniscus and 4 other things I cannot spell or pronounce.

First I got a first class "cutter" that new my situation. He id an excellent JOB.

Second, I got a First Class person for my Therapy, that knew what my profession required.

The Therapy was the KEY.

She did nearly KILL me, but "made me" back to 101%.

Consult "people" that work on Professional Athletes. Their "Body" is their Job.

PS, the Surgeon told me that for a "normal" person of my age, he would probably not even recommend surgery, but since he knew what I "Did", He knew what to do.

I did have to wait a few weeks for my surgery as my "Cutter" was the traveling Doctor for not only a Superbowl NFL Football team, but also the travelong Doctor, on the road with "A" Hocky team in finals for the Stanley Cup.

In short, find a Doctor, and Therapist that knows "what you do".

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dr. Tim Burkhart
posted Hide Post
Have you considered alternatives to surgery?

Non-surgical decompression is a very good alternative and has been recently studied by the Mayo people and found to have an 86% success rate. Compared to surgery, it has a whole lot better outcome, not to mention the savings to you and your insurance company. Once you cut or fuse there is no going back. At least with the non-surgical decompression...you can try it and if you are not one of the 86% you could always opt for surgery as a last resort.

Just a thought.

I had 2 herniated discs in my neck following a car accident last January...no surgery and I love shooting my 500 N.E., 416 and 375. I would at least look into before I pulled the trigger, so to speak, with the surgery!

Dr. Tim

Posts: 166 | Location: Caledonia, Michigan | Registered: 15 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dr T: I´ve been doing PT for several months with cervical traction etc but I haven´t received any relief...except that my PT has a really nice bod...

And common sense will work...where is that stuff to be found! LOL!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Cewe,

You might remember we spoke before about this...I'm a neurosurgeon in Nashville.

If you have your scans on a CD-ROM, why don't you see if you can send a few images to me...I'd be glad to give them a look.

Did your physician say why he's doing a laminectomy instead of an anterior diskectomy with fusion?

I do both, but the anterior approach usually yields better results, but of course it depends on what is wrong in the first place.

As to the "non-surgical decompression" options, that's a machine (and an expensive one at that) that claims positive results. The data has NEVER been published in a peer reviewed journal as yet. The Chiropractors love it as it generates tons of money. A good friend has one, and it's sending his kids to college.

I think it helps the people who would get better anyway without surgery, not the ones who actually need surgery.

Let me know if I can be of service....

Garrett

Posts: 987 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
N.Garret: I was wrong about the laminectomy, it will be an anterior approach with fusion. Thanks for keeping me on my toes Wink

One of Us
Picture of ovny
posted Hide Post
You'll see as all goes to ask mouth, it's what I desire you. Before long you'll be back safari and without back pain.

Take care,

Oscar.

I am Spanish

My forum:www.armaslargasdecaza.com

Posts: 1131 | Location: Spain (Madrid) | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Make sure you ask your sawbones for his diploma and his medical school transcript, too. Get some references while you're at it. Big Grin

But even I would have to admit that it is way too much to ask that he be a master or distinguished class rifle shooter.

Kidding aside, because I know I am preaching to the choir, best of luck and many happy returns of safaris to come. thumb

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13623 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Cewe, The best to you and think of going back to Africa sooner then later....

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I´m already booked for my next trip, leaving home on the last day of may for a two week trip with the fam to SA. I won´t be going for anything special next year, maybe a nice steenbuck if the opputunity presents itself...something that can be shot with a 6.5x55.

I´d like to go for a lion in 2010 so I´m going to take my sweet time healing and getting in shape.