Find
Notify
Tools

Sable
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
where's the best place to go for Sable?

If your parents didn't have any children chances are you won't either.

Posts: 478 | Location: Davie Florida | Registered: 15 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In Zim - Matetsi blocks/Kazuma/Panda Masui - the concessions in western Zimbabwe

Posts: 352 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 01 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of martin pieters
posted Hide Post
Zambia!

martinpieterssafaris@gmail.com
www.martinpieterssafaris.com

" hunt as if it's your last one you'll ever be on"

Posts: 639 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Thanks Martin.

The best area for sable is about a hundred metres behind my camp in the Kafue.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9954 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Western Tanzania - you can throw a Roan into the bargain while you're at it. Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nchila Reserve with Pete Fisher in Zambia. He has a resident herd of about 500 with many larger than 44".

It is a high fenced area in a very remote part of Zambia. They are not pets but they are not free range either. You will be challenged and you will get a very fine sable. Pete and Lynn will treat you like a king. Boddington and the Safari Classics guys hunted there with Dave Fulson taking a really nice sable. Peter Flack has hunted there as well.

Posts: 10364 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Zambia has no rival when it comes to big Sable.

Kasonso Busanga GMA and the outfitter is Hunters & Guides Zambia, PH Gavin Hume. Shot a number of +47" Sable and a 50" in the past few years

Posts: 394 | Location: Africa | Registered: 25 September 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i have a sable in my garage....... 1999 blue 3.0........ good car!! Wink wave

PRAY FOR OBAMA... PSALMS 109:9

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
i have a sable in my garage....... 1999 blue 3.0........ good car!! Wink wave

You funny man!

Posts: 20161 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fujotupu:
Western Tanzania - you can throw a Roan into the bargain while you're at it. Wink

Kafue for Roan, Sitatunga, Kafue & Black Lechwe, Crawshay's Waterbuck, Blue & Yellow backed duiker, Oribi, Grysbok just to mention a few other desirables.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
Nchila Reserve with Pete Fisher in Zambia. He has a resident herd of about 500 with many larger than 44".

It is a high fenced area in a very remote part of Zambia. They are not pets but they are not free range either. You will be challenged and you will get a very fine sable. Pete and Lynn will treat you like a king. Boddington and the Safari Classics guys hunted there with Dave Fulson taking a really nice sable. Peter Flack has hunted there as well.

Personally I would hunt free ranging Sable when in Zambia. A Sable bull is one of the black diamonds of wild Africa.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dave,

I'm sure from the pix that Andrew has posted that he has some excellent unfenced hunting for some very big sable. I'll be able to confirm that first hand in Oct when I return from there. In the meantime though I can tell you the gene pool for sable in NW Zim aint bad either. Below is a sable I took in '07 in an area bordering Hwange Park.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
Thanks Martin.

Gotta say, I've seen some awesome sable bulls in the Kafue of Zambia, but western Tanzania also has great sable!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ninchila is a wonder to hunt. Fenced, but a big area. None better than Pete and Lynn Fisher/

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Misspell-Nchila. Great sable.

Dave Fulson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mozambique has the most sable...Zambia has bigger ones and lots of them...but Western Tanzania has the biggest ones.

Best odds of getting a 45-47 incher---Zambia...You wanna see 48's and dabble with 49's---go to Western Tanz.

Posts: 636 | Location: The Hills | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks Martin.

Big Grin

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana Moja:
Mozambique has the most sable...Zambia has bigger ones and lots of them...but Western Tanzania has the biggest ones.

Best odds of getting a 45-47 incher---Zambia...You wanna see 48's and dabble with 49's---go to Western Tanz.

And if you want 50 plus then you have to come back to the Kafue. The biggest Sable to come out of Kafue are found in the south in the Mulobezi concession. The world record was recently taken here.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very good Andrew! You got me on that one. And I will have to say you are 100% correct. One can't dispute the facts and the record book on the 50 inchers.

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Very good Andrew! You got me on that one. And I will have to say you are 100% correct. One can't dispute the facts and the record book on the 50 inchers.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can vouch for Western Tanzania. I took a big sable there and saw big sable almost every day.

Posts: 1815 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Andrew: That's one beautiful animal. Almost looks like a giant sable.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Andrew, isn't that sable from Mumbwa, not Mulobezi?

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sandyhunter:
Andrew, isn't that sable from Mumbwa, not Mulobezi?

You might be right mate. I do know it went 53.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

one of us
posted Hide Post
Like most big trophies, they are where you find them........I do hear though that Zambia offers the better chance at a mid 40" sable.

Tz (and Moz) have the best chance at a big Roosevelt sable Cool

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, it's the one that S&S had at their booth at the SCI show last year. I recall the same 53" measurement. Heck of an animal.

I think Gingo agrees with your assessment of Mulobezi as the best place for sable.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Its splitting hairs but i have hunted quite a bit in Sichifulo (SW Kafue) which borders Mulobezi, and Kasonso Busanga (NW Kafue) and Matetsi in Zimbabwe. Kasonso wins hands down in quantity of Sable and quality of Trophies.

I think the right GMA with a good outfit in Zambia is still a really good bet at a great Sable.

I have not yet hunted in TZ, which are the good areas for big Sable?

Posts: 394 | Location: Africa | Registered: 25 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Anjin
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

And if you want 50 plus then you have to come back to the Kafue. The biggest Sable to come out of Kafue are found in the south in the Mulobezi concession. The world record was recently taken here.

I saw some honeys there. Regrettably, I shot one and it got away. My fault. homer

Norman Solberg
International lawyer back in the US after 25 years and, having met a few of the bad guys and governments here and around the world, now focusing on private trusts that protect wealth from them. NRA Life Member for 50 years, NRA Endowment Member from 2014, NRA Patron from 2016.

Posts: 554 | Location: Sandia Mountains, NM | Registered: 05 January 2011Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
guys how to contact pete fisher of nchila zambia,thankx

ur 3 greatest hunts r, ur 1st,ur last,and ur next!!!!

Posts: 254 | Registered: 19 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pete Fisher at Nchila can be contacted via email at

nchilawildlife@iwayafrica.com

or cell- + 260979464206

or his website - www.nchila.com

Go, he is the best.

Posts: 10364 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dogcat has it right. The Fishers are wonderful folks and their sable are beyond great.

Dave Fulson

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Beats me why you want to come to Zambia and shoot a canned Sable? Wonderful folks or not.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Beats me why you want to come to Zambia and shoot a canned Sable? Wonderful folks or not.

cause its garanteed ?.... sofa

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anyone that does not recommend Western Zambia for Sable has never seen a really BIG Sable.
We have a concession in Matetsi in Zim as well as one in the Kafue in Western Zambia. There really is no contest. You can not compare a Matetsi Sable with Kafue. It will be like comparing a 30-06 with a .375H&H

And they are not fenced!!

Fritz Rabe
Askari Adventures & Fritz Rabe Bow-hunting

Posts: 217 | Location: Musina South Africa | Registered: 08 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwanamich:
quote:

cause its garanteed ?.... sofa

Maybe I was a bit harsh and probably price has a lot to do with it.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have filmed and hunted sable over the years more than most I would suspect. My experience is that sable, free range sable as well, are not particularly difficult creatures to find or approach. Nchila is fenced, yet the property is larger than the average free range sable range in my opinion. Neither Boddington or I had any feeling of canned, as you know Tracks have always shied away from that. There are lots of sable there, no doubt, but the same can be said of some of the best sable country in Africa. I had several target bulls I was after give us repeated slips during my hunt, and fence or no, we found it a very good hunting experience. If a fence is a detriment to anyone, they should stay away. But understand, there is not a mouse alive outside this area due to poaching, so there would be zero game in this beautiful area without the Fishers hard work and dedication to their game. I for one appreciate their efforts.

Dave Fulson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Dave

Makuti is a hard one to beat. In the 4 years that we have hunted there (12 sable bulls) we have had 2x 45" 44 43 42 .

I would put money on it that the average for Makuti is a fair bit higher then Matetsi which has been over hunted. Unfortunately it is not a sales pitch as we are sold out for next season so was realy as a point of interest!! Cheers Buzz

Posts: 1128 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 22 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, Makuti has an excellent rep for big sable. I often tell clients, and I am sure Buzz does the same, that there are 100 good buffalo, maybe far more, walking around for every shootable sable bull in todays Africa. Sable book up early everywhere they are on quota, and the hunter wanting one ( and who would not?) should book ahead and make it clear that your sable is a PRIORITY, not an afterthought on your buff hunt. I would try to book into a good sable area specifically, as much good game country is not good sable country. I am sure Buzz will agree with that. Whatever you do, or wherever you go, a big black bull is worth the money and effort.

Dave Fulson

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Fulson:
I have filmed and hunted sable over the years more than most I would suspect. My experience is that sable, free range sable as well, are not particularly difficult creatures to find or approach. Nchila is fenced, yet the property is larger than the average free range sable range in my opinion. Neither Boddington or I had any feeling of canned, as you know Tracks have always shied away from that. There are lots of sable there, no doubt, but the same can be said of some of the best sable country in Africa. I had several target bulls I was after give us repeated slips during my hunt, and fence or no, we found it a very good hunting experience. If a fence is a detriment to anyone, they should stay away. But understand, there is not a mouse alive outside this area due to poaching, so there would be zero game in this beautiful area without the Fishers hard work and dedication to their game. I for one appreciate their efforts.

Hi Dave,

Agree with much that you say but I have problems with the fact that it is sold as a private reserve and there is no mention of the high fence. You cannot shoot the trophy of your choice and have to settle for what Mr fisher decides. The same Mr Fisher that circumvented all our PH procedures and bought his license directly from our wildlife department.

Note he does not have Forest sitatunga nor has his Sable strayed from the Royal line in Angola. That is BD - Balderdash.

Cheers

Good folks they maybe.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have no idea about the PH procedures you speak of, so cannot speak to that topic. I do believe that his sitatunga ore the forest variety. I am admittedly far from a sitatunga authority, but Boddington shot one, which I filmed, and he certainly thinks it is a forest situnga, and if I am not mistaken has entered into the record books as such. All the markings are exactly like all the photos I have seen of forest sitatunga, but again, I am no expert on them. But Boddington was certain, and he has hunted them before.
Just my observation for what it is worth.

Dave Fulson