THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    What spare rifle parts do you take on Safari..?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What spare rifle parts do you take on Safari..?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Since high price safaris often take place in out of the way places like Tanzania where rifles can and do break down....it only makes sense (to me at least) that the hunter would bring some sort of maintenance kit as well as spare parts.

To that end I am wondering whats on your list of spare rifle parts, tools, cleaning products, optics etc.

As an example the folks at Serengett Rifles have made a kit available.

http://www.serengetirifles.com/

Go to Products --> Other Products --> Service Pak

Regards,
Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
1) B-square screwdriver kit/allen wrench
2) cleaning/lube kit I put together
3) maybe a spare scope and a few screws
4) Locktite

Even this is more than you will need. No since in lugging too much stuff as you can always borrow a rifle from the ph.
Anything serious goes wrong, you are not going to fix it in the bush anyway.

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
David,

I will share my kit but be mindful that I am somewhat excessive when it comes to something like this.

First off, we used a TUFF-PAK that we all got from Mims Reed.

That allowed me to take a Dewey rod.
I had a small plastic case like you put lures in, and had brushes, patches, solvent, Q-tips, jags & lens brush/felt pen. The box is approximately 6"X 8".

I have a Brownell's Hollow Handle screwdriver that carried the tips that fit our screws. Had a few extra scope ring and mount screws.

One of the most important items was the 'Sentry' Marine Tuf-Cloth. I wiped the gun down with that every evening.

I have an item called a 'Ready Rod'. It breaks down into a very small unit. My guns were in the rack on the back of the truck, not in their cases, while we were hunting. I use see thru scope lens covers.

Each evening I would put a dry patch, that was loose, on the thin Ready Rod and push it through to get rid of the dust. I never had a change of impact.

I had a new pack of J-B Weld and 2" '100 Mile an Hour' tape on hand. I had a Leupold 1.5 X 5 scope as a back up, sighted in wearing it's own rings, for the .416 Rigby. The .375 & the .416 wore Swarovski scopes. I took the Leupold off of my Mod.7 7mm-08 and mounted it in the Ruger rings

Most of this I left for camp stock or gave to the PH.(except the scope)

We never needed to use any thing other that what I mentioned, but it was a comfort to me having it. The weight and room taken was minimal. The security was maximum.

I get a lot of kidding about being so excessive about my gun care when away, but when something goes wrong with someone's gun, guess who has the fun then?

Next time, nothing will change. Many of the more experienced hands may take less, but that's their choice.

BTW, you can get the Ready Rod and TUFF PAKS from our member, Harry Hunter (Mims Reed) at: www.hunters-hq.com (817) 267-3700

All the best in making your decision on what to take.

Regards,

Sam
eclemmons@hotmail.com

Posts: 702 | Location: Lenoir. N.C. | Registered: 18 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BIG SAM,

Great post! I am with you 100% regarding the Tuff Pak. I bought mine from Harry about 2 years ago and I absolutely love it. It's versatility can't be beat!

I will have to look into the Ready Rod and Sentry Marine Tuf-Cloth as they sound like quality items.

Thanks,
Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Only spare part I take is one rifle, complete with scope, usually in 375 H&H. Never had to break it out, thankfully.

one of us
posted Hide Post
David,

I don't get too excited about gun gear. I always take at least 2 rifles unless I rent guns (don't recommend it). I bring at least one extra scope that could be used on either rifle, a screwdriver handle with only the blades that fit the guns I'm taking, solvent, lube, a silicone cloth, some fat q-tips, the right size brushes and patches,cleaning rod with appropriate jags. Also I carry a lens pen and brush while in the field.

Cover your muzzle with electrical tape while in the field and no abrasive dust will get in your barrel. If you use lens covers for your scope make sure that you can get rid of them in a hurry. I don't use them.

Now that I have written it down perhaps I'm down right anal about gun stuff.

Regards,

Mark

Posts: 12873 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
Whatever everybody else said.

I use Leupold QD mounts, so a spare scope pre-sighted in has made the trip with me. I've seen a friend's scope arrive all bent up following the flight. A decent screwdriver-hex wrench goes too, along with simple cleaning equipment. Dealing with dust has been a problem for my rifle, scope, and pocket camera.

Equally important is having your gear arrive with you. Spread your stuff out in the suitcases/carry-on. When traveling with someone else, put some of your stuff in their suitcase and visa-versa. That doubles the chances of at least some of your stuff arriving.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I always bring an extra mag.follower spring. I once had one break and it was a mess getting a new one. That was in a civilized country so I can imagine the problems and the disappointment should it happen in a remote huntingcamp in Africa..

Posts: 186 | Location: 9750 Honningsvaag, Norway | Registered: 10 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
As far as gun parts for the primary DG rifle, I tote a spare extractor, firing pin assembly and follower spring (often the original components, pre-fitted and tested).

Mere ounces in my pack but tons off my mind.

A well matched pair of rifles can make a lot of sense.
One day, I may get around to that.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Usually take 2 rifles.

Never any spare parts.

Posts: 19317 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
YES, I take ALL the parts, in the form of ANOTHER RIFLE! My light rifle (375 H&H Bolt rifle) is always legal for DG, so I can finish a hunt even if one of my rifles goes down the tubes! The only thing I take is another scope in a set of QD rings, pre-zeroed, in case my scope is damaged. I also have quality iron sights for back up! I see no need for anything further!

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
Since I only hunt with CRF Model 70s, I take an spare M70 extractor and ejector, plus a spring kit, pin kit, a pair of open-end wrenches (trigger), small screwdrivers (trigger and firing pin stop screw), hex-wrench (action screws) Torx wrench (scopemounts), plus a small punch for removing pins. This sounds like a lot, but it doesn't take up much space at all, nor does it weigh very much. The simplicity and accessability of the Model 70 mechanism is just one more good reason to select it for hunts that are far from home.

On my first safari, I didn't take this kit or any tools -- which was dumb -- and I had a rifle problem (gunsmithing error) that I could have fixed if I would have had a couple of these tools. Now I always take this kit, to which I've added or subtracted parts over the years as my rifles have changed in terms of scopemounts, etc.

Since I put this kit together, I've never needed it!

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
I take a small tackle box with screwdrivers, a cleaning kit, etc., but no rifle parts. I do take a spare rifle and another spare scope with Leupold QR rings already sighted in.

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Per NickKudu:As far as gun parts for the primary DG rifle, I tote a spare extractor, firing pin assembly and follower spring (often the original components, pre-fitted and tested).

My thoughts exactly and since both my rifles are Model 70's the same parts can be changed between them to make one good one. The firing pin is the exception.

Since I take quite a few people over the years I have been doing this I find it amusing in few ways that there is such a level of paranoia about guns and scopes. I worked Seasonally as a guide in Alaska for about 20 years. During that whole time hunting mountain game and coastal bears I can only recall a few rare hunters who brought with them 2 guns. When I began hunting as a PH in Africa I noticed nearly all the hunters brought two guns. The conditions that can incapacitate a rifle in Alaska are off the chart compared to Africa yet every plains game hunter brings two guns. The days of gun bearers have long since gone by. Bring a single rifle you can shoot well and be done with it.

During all this time working in both countries I have seen a number or rifles fail to chamber a round or extract and also fail to fire when the trigger is pulled. Almost 100% of this was due to grit/saltwater/rust/snow/frozen/ in ALaska. In Africa I have seen two guns fail so far. Yet I have had over 200 hunters. Both were accidental damage, not a defect with the guns.( although one was a Browning A bolt)

It's also amusing to listen(read) the posts here and on other forums now and then about how one brand of gun is so much better then another. You know about the XYZ brand being not reliable or does not have some specific feature. The boastful nature of the owners of some brands and the extreme confidence they have on their chosen brand is unbelievable. Many of these guys act as if their grampa hand built it for them, or they defend it as if it were their wife or kids.

Yet all this confidence is out the window because they don't even trust it will function for the next 25 shots in Africa. The same goes for scopes, each manufacturer has a following with such brand loyalty. Until you go to Africa then it's gonna fog up or break!

As I said with over 200 hunters now I have had only two guns fail. One was not repairable and the other needed minor work. I have seen a number of different scope problems but I have never seen a single Leupold fail or been the cause of any trouble.

Why is it in the harsh brutal marine environment with daily rain and ocean travel in a skiff covered in salt water bringing a single "blued" rifle is OK. Both trips will have the same amount of baggage handling and air travel. Certainly not in distance but the ride over is not any problem it's the baggage handlers that are the issue. Yet hunting in the warm sunny climate of Southern Africa with a full comfortable camp you must bring two rifles? This has always stumped me!

Posts: 1261 | Location: Rural Wa. St. & Ellisras RSA | Registered: 06 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
First...Thanks Sam for the kind words.
I have a Leupold Compact 2.5 with hvy. duplex that goes as a back up (never needed it) and the Rapid Rod with patches and Rem Oil. Nylon strap tape and the proper Torx, Allen and bits for any screws on rifle. Never needed any of those yet.
I use Butler Creek flip up covers on all my scopes and have for years, Never missed a shot due to scope covers. Always have rifles in soft cases in the truck rack...have yet to miss a chance on anything due to that either.
Between my Leatherman Tool and my Swiss Army knife I can fix all I am capable of fixing.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Too many generalties JJ.

For one, there may be different things to hunt with different caliber/style of rifles (the usual battery thing).

As far as two identical rifles, I have been taking one with a scope and one without. One never knows what opportunities may turn up.

"Camp" rifles I have seen are generally pieces of crap... because no one else wanted them, using ammo of unknown origin, that don't feed, won't eject, some wouldn't go bang.

Only went once without two rifles and regretted it. It just depends on where and what you are hunting.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I take two rifles, both capable of killing any of the big 5, and very few extras...perhaps a bore snake, oil and a couple of fitted screw drivers. I have innertube scope covers on my scopes... I have a take down cleaning rod (Rapid Rod) that fits into a pocket knife size holster on my cartridge belt, along with a Leatherman tool...I take extra firing pins for my double along with the needed wrench..A roll of electricians tape and two tubes of glass bedding. Thats about it. Oh yes and a pocket knife. I have iron sights on all my rifles as a backup or rather a scope to backup my iron sights.

Keep things to a minimum...Most hunters burden themselves with too much junk. Remember a charter flight may be on your agenda and too much luggage will necessistate a larger plane, and that cost may come out of your pocket.

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Will, JJ ... I do take two rifles. The parts are for the primary DG gun. Always have the .375 along.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Let me make sure there was no misunderstanding on this. I stated a single gun for plains game. Nothing to do with DG hunting. Obviousley there will be a need for different guns in different applications. Although to be honest I have done them all with a 375HH and never struggled.

Should you be hunting Namiba or the free state the ranges are long,........ to exceptionally long! A nice 300 mag with a 4.5-14X40mm scope is really a good choice. However you would not be using that gun on Buffalo or bigger.

I suppose I should narrow my comments just a bit by saying that many of the hunters come to the truck in the morniong with both guns for the different animals they might see. When we leave the truck on foot they only carry one and we don't come back for hours at times. The point is you need to take along the gun that can handle the majority of game you will likely bump into. One never knows what will be around the next bush in Africa. At no time will you have the luxury to choose a gun like you do a golf club from your golf bag!

Unless ofcourse your hunting everything from the truck and have both in a gun rack in front of you. Or if your hunting from a blind of some sort and can pick and choose your weapon. I don't know of any camps suplying gun bearers today. Although I can supply you one for a very reasonable cost if you like, he will not likely speak any english though!

If you are hunting on true wild land for indiginous species of plains game in the northern portions of the country all you need is a single rifle. If your hunting some put and take deal in the southern parts of the country, and/or travelling to several different areas for different animals then more then one gun makes sense. This would also be true in Alaska if a mixed bag was in order for goats/sheep and Coastal brownies. One gun will work but a light weight mountain rifle will be a very good choice in the first 2000 feet of elevation gain!

Posts: 1261 | Location: Rural Wa. St. & Ellisras RSA | Registered: 06 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Nickudu,

What a relief to see that! I was afriad I would have to smack you around a little, metaphorically speaking of course.

JJ,

I agree, and a good reason to take nothing less than a .375. Of course I am in minority here. I guess I don't want to shoot anything at 300 yards regardless of what it is.

one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
I take appropriate screwdrivers and hex wrenches for everything on whatever gun(s) I take hunting -- to include whatever I need for scope installation/replacement, since I either take an extra scope or an extra rifle (depending on the hunt I'm on).

When I went to Iraq, I took all kinds of little "tool kit" things... and they ALL came in handy at one point or another, all throughout the war. You just don't know how much you miss tools until you don't have them AND you don't have a Lowe's, Menard's, or Ace Hardware around.

Mainly because I work in logistics, I suppose, I look at hunting trips as just another "operation" that requires logistical support -- for which I know I'm on my own. There is a plethora of handy tool kits out there and I see no realistic reason why someone spending "X" dollars on an expensive hunt shouldn't stock up on a few of them (small tool kits). Carry what you need on your belt and/or in a pocket. I also recommend at least TWO of everything (kits), in case you lose one. Carry both of them, but in different places. Again, there aren't any Ace Hardwares where most of us go hunting. I also recommend Teflon "thread" tape, electrical tape, duct tape, "super glue," (great for patching skin together when immediate stitches are out of the question... like hardware stores), and Loctite.

I also carry two pair of pliers in the form of utility tools... again, easy to carry and light. It might seem like a lot of weight, that I mentioned here, but it's really not -- and these things can save a hunt.

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Interesting reading.

I have not seen anybody mention the extractors for use when you have a case head seperation. I have one (with a crows foot stamped on it) in 7.62 Nato but I have never seen one in anyother caliber...thinking on I have never seen them for sale in civvie street. Is a case head seperation a likely problem on a bolt gun used in harsh conditions and if so, are there any solutions to it other than an extractor?

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I must say I am in total agreement with BIG SAM, Allen, Mark & Russell. Murphy never sleeps and despite JJ's two problems out of 200 rifles I still would not want to be one of the two! I just can't see traveling halfway around the world and paying for a top dollar hunt w/o a serious "backup plan" for rifle malfunctions. I also don't much care for the second rifle as a backup idea. My 7mm Rem Mag would be a rather poor replacement for a .416. Some calibers might overlap and provide enough insurance but other combinations would not. Though I have never been to Africa relying upon the "camp rifle"(I can only imagine the beauties one finds out there)to bail my safari out is just not something I am willing to do.

It is short change to put a rifle repair kit together so for me I just can't see not having a full compliment of screws, springs, extractor(s), and appropriate parts to replace just about all systems on the rifle. That coupled with the correct mini tools isn't going to be an issue with weight limits or bulk.

Regards,
Dave

one of us
posted Hide Post
I can only speak of the "camp rifle" in my lodge but if you ask anyone who has used it they had no complaints. It's my personal hunting rifle and it's usually as good or better then any of the guns the hunters themselves own. I say this because several have said to me "when I get home I'm going to have a rifle built exactly like that for myself"

One of the moderators here used it two years ago and took all his animals, each with a single shot from Steenbok to Eland. There may have been 2 in the eland but only as insurance. My ammo is all handloaded Swift Aframes as well.

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Anyone that uses Swift A-Frames can't be all bad!

one of us
posted Hide Post