Find
Notify
Tools

338 210 TSXs on Leopard
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted
We've hashed this one before folks, but I'm getting close to booking so I figured I'd solicit inputs again. It's an extremely accurate load @ 2930 FPS and would work well on all PG. I'm just having second thoughts on such a hard bullet for cats. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7143 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't have near as much experience as many here but my two leopards shot with a .375 300grn aframe didn't complain one bit about the bullet being too " hard" they just keeled over dead.

I know I for one would have zero hesitation using a 210 tsx on a leopard.
If you are hesitant why not shoot a couple of deer with the load? Whatever it does to a deer it would certainly do to a leopard- and I'm pretty sure that a 210 tsx @2900 fps is going to get the complete undivided attention of anything short of a pachyderm.

I would be much more worried about a more frangible bullet and having to take a strongly quartering shot.

I think that most would advise picking a tough bullet suitable for the biggest beast and using the same bullet for everything expected (or unexpected) on the menu.

Posts: 171 | Location: ontario canada | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
jorge,

notlim has said it all. I've used TSX exclusively in Africa recently and have been very pleased regardless of the size of the animal. This notion that you need a special frangible bullet for leopard is BS.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12867 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Was with a buddy when he shot two leopards - one in Zim and one in Mozi - using 325 gr X bullets in a 416 and both hit the ground stone dead with large X shaped exit wounds.
Watch the free Barnes myth-busters DVD to see how fast TSX bullets open. Just because they penetrate deeply does not mean they open slowly.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4197 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jorge:

I shot a leopard last month with a 225 TSX in .338. Dead before he hit the ground.

The one thing I did with both my .338 and .416 was to check its zero at 35 yards so I knew exactly where my bullet would strike on stuff you have be very precise.

Beat Navy!

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buddy of mine shot a leopard with a .375 300 grainer. DRT, minimal pelt damage. Should work well. Very well.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Encouraging reports gents, thanks! John, if you are planning to go to Dallas, I still owe you a beer. Beat Army...jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7143 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jorge! Brother, you're doing too much thinking regarding the bullet. If it shoots straight you're good. The .338 is the best all around caliber for Africa. Put those crosshairs on the leopard's shoulder if he's facing left, behind the shoulder if he's facing right, (assuming you're a right-handed shooter). That TSX will shatter the shoulder, punch a hole in the heart, drill the lung and that cat will be dead before you can even lift your cheek off the buttstock. I know you're gonna keep your head on the gun right? And finally can I get a beer from you too in Dallas?

Posts: 636 | Location: The Hills | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mark and I'll buy you a beer too! oh and roger on the cheek! jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
For the sake of free beer, I'd say your combo will work fine. JUST BE SURE THAT YOU SHOOT HIM PROPERLY. Mr. Spots is more about where you shoot him than what you shoot him with. There have been plenty of leopards killed with bullets south of .30 caliber.

Now, about that drink . . .

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2988 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
I certainly agree with Marc; just hold steady and squeeze it off. I like to hold just behind the shoulder on cats as their physiology is different than PG. Pick a single rosette and hold all your concentration on that and Chui will be DRT.

My rifle of choice is a .300WM loaded with 180gr Swift A-Frames. One shot; one kill.

Semper Fi

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigB
posted Hide Post
375 H&H 300 grain trophy bonded bear claws, 2 shots 2 dead leopards. 2 small entry holes 2 slightly larger exit holes - very little pelt damage.

BigB

Posts: 1401 | Location: Northwest Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jorge - I just shot my new 338 RUM built by Lex (Rifles Inc) using the Barnes 210 grain tipped TSX and this rifle can put one bullet through the previous hole! This rifle is wearing an illuminated Swaro just for leopard in 2011. Please let us know how it works for you and best of luck on your safari!

Posts: 297 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 13 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
The game I've seen hit with X bullets seem to show little sign of "Shock".
When it comes to cats, I want to have a bullet that shocks them.
My choice would be Woodleigh's round nose soft.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
I hardly have the leopard experience to speak to it, but the one I shot with a 30-06 and TSX was DRT.

I love the TSX, they copper the living hell out of the barrels, but I like what they do when they get where they're going!

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Having shot two leopard, I agree that it is proper shot placement above all else. My first was shot with a Trophy Bonded Bear Claw and the second was shot with a Nosler Partition. Both were fatal shots from the .375 H&H. My next leopard will be shot with the .325 WSM, similar to the .338 Winchester. Good luck Jorge, my friend, and shoot a super cat! thumb

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jorge, it may give you more confidence if you move to the tipped TSX in the 210 gr. I used the tipped 210 gr in my 338-06 on my recent trip and they went through zebra, waterbuck, bushbuck cleanly leaving about a quarter sized exit wound. The one that did not exit a sable was a perfect mushroom and retained 95% weight.

Best of luck on Mr. Spots.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for the geat comments. Muy hunt is not until 2012 so I have plenty of time. I do have a box of the TTSXs and a few friends swear by them as well. I just have a LOT of TSXs and believe me, I'm going to try them out on deer as one poster aid, probably very similar to a leopard's fram & weight. Cheers, jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Jorge,
Speaking with experience this last leopard I shot with the TSX .375 300gr. 63 yds from blind to bait. Pass shot thru middle of chest from any angle.
Also spoke to Barnes and with testing the TSX opens up in the first 1.5 inches. Also these are hollow points if tip is damaged won't work properly.
Here is chui "DRT" hit him in back on right side and came out left side.

You can see a little blood on right side of back

better pic of back hit

Exit wound

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike I like it. Nice unconventional shot placement and a one-shot kill. Wonderful looking hide on the the cat too. Maybe a leopard jacket for wifey? Entrance wound is perfect for a button location. Whatdya think?

Posts: 636 | Location: The Hills | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shot placement is of course paramount, and your TSX will kill him dead if placed well.

BUT it IS a very hard bullet and I would concur with Ozhunter that a softer bullet imparting more shock (which is a great killer of cats esp. in 338 type calibres) is more suitable.

Probably hair splitting to some extent but I prefer to hear the sack of potato thump under the bait which is better achieved with a softer bullet.

I took over a hunt for veteran PH Mike Fynn when he was mauled by a leopard that was chest shot with the old Barnes-x in .375. It was last light and the car was already driving in, so Mike (perhaps unwisely) followed up straight away. The cat was lying 40 yds from the bait and was so sick that the tracker actually had walked past it when Mike saw the cat and made eye contact, which he maintains precipitated the mauling. Mike is convinced that the cat was almost dead and would have been minutes later.

Just one situation where a softer round would have probably been better.

BTW a regular hunter of mine brings a few A-square lion loads for his .375 for leopard. the results are spectacular and we have always found time to check the zero with the new round before sitting in the blind.

Posts: 280 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SableTrail:
The .338 is the best all around caliber for Africa. Put those crosshairs on the leopard's shoulder if he's facing left, behind the shoulder if he's facing right, (assuming you're a right-handed shooter). That TSX will shatter the shoulder, punch a hole in the heart, drill the lung and that cat will be dead before you can even lift your cheek off the buttstock. I know you're gonna keep your head on the gun right? And finally can I get a beer from you too in Dallas?

SableTrail's advice on shot placement is first class. DO NOT go with the Doctari "behind the shoulder" shot. Shoot him in the shoulder everytime.

I also agree big time on the .338.

And I wouldn't say no to the beer in Dallas either - Shiner Bock anyone???

Posts: 280 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Well guys if you want, I'll be easy to find and ys I'll buy the beer. AS to shot placement, I like to break bone, none of that behind the shoulder stuff; with all due respect. I'll whack a few deer this fal and report back. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of 500 Fan
posted Hide Post
My wife used a 338-06 on our last Safari's to South Africa and Tanzania, using the Barnes TSX and Nosler Partition both in 210 grain. I had her alternate in the magazine and if need be she jacked one out and had a tougher or more expandable bullet at hand. She killed animals from Springbok to Zebra and most were one shot kills with only 3 that required more than one shot.

Ross Seyfried once said, "I tell people to take at least one front shoulder cuz it's better to loose one 1/4 than to loose the entire animal." I have to say I have always whole heartedly done the same thing hunting and have never regreted it. While I like lung shots on deer sized game to bleed out a shoulder shot will take at least one lung.

Count me on the side of take a shoulder or some bone on the way. If you are using a good expandable bullet that won't blow up you have nothing to worry about.

I'd also have to agree with the people who say the 338-06 is an absolutely under appreciated cartridge. It kills like one of it's Big Brothers. As with any shot good placement and great bullets and you have a MAGNUM in a cartridge my 5-3 #120 wife can shoot as good as 95% of the boys, no kidding!

The display of PURE POWER is nothing short of AWESOME !

1 JOHN 3:18

Posts: 327 | Location: The Beautiful Sandhills of America | Registered: 29 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am a fan of soft bullets for leopard. I used Sierra Game King, 250 grn., .338 wm for my leopard this April. Complete destruction of the cat and bullet. Right into the shoulder and dead on the spot. Massive internal wound. I would not use them on larger, hardier, game.

I am no fan of TSX on anything softer than a Blue Wildebeest. Just have not liked the armour piercing nature of the bullet on smaller game.

Posts: 64 | Location: Ohio, USA | Registered: 30 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 500 Fan
posted Hide Post
I used a 270 Winchester with a 150 grain Nosler Partition to get quick expansion but good penetration, on my Leopard. I hit him at 56 steps in the right shoulder, destroying the shoulder, heart and lungs. He fell out of the tree with the limp sack of potato's sound, which for 3 seconds was wonderful. He regained his 3 good legs and made it to a large anthill, about 100 yards away, to set an ambush by the trail we would use to return to the Landrover, and bled to death there. He had been killing cattle in the lowveld area of Zimbabwe, we killed him off of his own kill. He weighed 93 kilo's on the ranch feed scale. A real Monster Leopard and all that was needed was one well placed shot with a good bullet from an adequate caliber.

The display of PURE POWER is nothing short of AWESOME !

1 JOHN 3:18

Posts: 327 | Location: The Beautiful Sandhills of America | Registered: 29 January 2006Reply With Quote