Find
Notify
Tools

HORNADY IB DISCONTINUED
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted
Gents, if I remember correctly, there was a hunt report posted here or in the Hunting Reports Forum with a few comments regarding the problems Steve Hornady himself had with subject bullet. Apparently, Hornady dropped the IB from their 375 and 416 offerings.

I tried doing a search for it but was unable to find it. I ask one of you with more computer prowess than I if you could revive it. thanks. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
So are they only offering solids in those calibers now? What about the Lott? Interesting.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7557 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 431 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 29 January 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
They're showing the 300 gr IB for the .375 H&H heavy Magnum as "Coming Soon" :

Hornady .375 H&H 300 GR RN IB Heavy Mag

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jorge,
I'm not sure, but weren't they trying to do the opposite? It's been getting harder to find the .375 Interlocks, and the .416 Interlocks seem to have disappeared altogether. Since the old bullets shot better for me at a lower price I would love to see a return to them for cheap practice bullets. There aren't a lot of choices for the .416 besides the 350 Speer.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Dogleg: Nope. Right from the horses mouth at SCI. A freind of mine spoke with the Hornady rep. In fact they are bringing back the Interlock. So can anybody find the thread for me? jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
quote:
So can anybody find the thread for me?

Jorge, this comment perhaps by Terry Carr, about half-way down this thread:

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1411043/m/325100765?r

quote:
Originally posted by T.Carr:
Boddington was hunting with Steve Hornady in Zim this season (while I was there in the same concession), so I would consider his opinion less than unbiased.

By the way, did Boddington happen to mention the lousy performance of the Hornady .416 Rigby (Interbond) ammunition?

Regards,

Terry

And/or this Report also by Terry

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1411043/m/304109125
quote:
Originally posted by T.Carr:...Also while we were there, Craig Boddington and several other hunters were in the Mururu Camp of Dande North, along with a three film crews which were videoing the hunts for the TV show Track Across Africa. We talked to PH Mike Payne, the client (Mike Schoby of Gander Mountain) and Tim Danklef (who was videoing the hunt and is also Chifuti Safaris' booking agent). It seems Schoby had shot a buffalo with his .416 Rigby. The shot was well placed but did not penetrate well. Schoby was using a new bullet being developed by Hornady (Steve Hornady was one of the other hunters in camp who was having his hunt filmed for the TV show). It appears that the bullet was too soft and expanded too quickly and did not penetrate very deeply. This was confirmed when they used the same bullet on a bush pig a couple of days after the shot on the buffalo. Immediately after Schoby's shot, they followed up on the wounded buffalo. They were charged and apparently it was quite a mess (fortunately no one was hurt). Danklef said he got most of it on the video, so watch for it to be broadcast on the Tracks Across Africa show.

Regards,

Terry

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is exactly why I recently bought about two lifetimes' supply of the old #4504 RNSP and #4507 solids, 500 grain, .458 bullets, on e-bay. I can feed my .450 #2 until they put me in the ground! Those two bullets gave picturebook performance for me on broadside shots on Cape Buffalo.Why will manufacturers never learn the truth of the old axiom "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"?

Posts: 386 | Location: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 01 February 2006Reply With Quote
<Hunter Formerly Known As Texas Hunter>
posted
As I've reported before; following the reports of Interbond failures but before I went to Tanzania to hunt Cape Buffalo, I talked to Steve Johnson at Hornady questioning the efficacy of the interbonds on heavy, thick-skinned dangerous game. Johnson assured me the interbonds were very effective in that application and that I should be confident in using them on buff. He also advised that he and his Dad were going after Buff a month or so after I was going (early Sept.) and that they would be using interbonds as well. That statement was to prove his confidence in the bullet.

Fact is, I put a .458 Lott 500 gr. Interbond through the heart of two buffaloes and the bullets virtually disentegrated. I recovered less than 50 % of each. The good news is, I backed both shots with Hornady solids and, after several well placed shots, both bulls were down for the count.

I wonder if steve Johnson and his Dad used Interbonds on their buffaloes. Smiler

One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
I love Hornady bullets and use them in the lighter calibers heavily (VMAX, etc). I shoot alot of the 270GR SP in my 375 for practice but when it's for keeps I shoot Nosler Partitions - sorry Steve!!!

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

Posts: 894 | Location: Akron, OH | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The new 9.3 ammo is loaded with interlocks so I don't see them going away from that design. Same for 450/400 I believe.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Hornday is going back to the old bullet style and shapes... which is EXCELLENT news on the 416s, as the cannelure is then back in the right place

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39574 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Hmmm. Maybe this is why RIP and others can't get any .375 Ruger ammunition? If it was initially loaded with Interbonds, then proven to be less than effective, might make Hornady pull what they had ready to ship...and there was ammunition produced at the plant, I was told.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
Why wouldn't they just go back to the drawing board and correct problems rather than state outright that they will be discontinued? A harder, thicker jacket?

You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.

Posts: 1080 | Location: Western Wisconsin | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote