Find
Notify
Tools

info please
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello All,
Just returned from a two day meeting in Qatar. There I had lunch with a gentleman who happened to see me reading my latest copy of African Hunter during the meeting. He said he had a great interest in Africa and had many times hunted there, early with his father and later on his own. My reason for posting is the PH he talked of, Eric Rungem(SP?). He could not say enough about this guy,seems as a youngster while there with his father he was treated exceptionally well by him. He never hunted with him himself only accompaning his father. He is rather advanced in age and at present is an advisor of some sort. I would say he is in his late seventies or early eighties at least. Are any of you familiar with this PH and if so is there anything written concerning him. Is he still active? I'm curious do to his shining account of the man. Sorry to be so long winded and I appreciate any insight you can provide.

SFC E7

Posts: 148 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 15 February 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Eric Rundgren, worked for Ker & Downey in East Africa. This quote from Brian Herne's book White Hunters

At the height of his volcanic career as white hunter in the mid-fifties and sixties, Eric Rundgren was the most controversial professional of his day. People loved or hated him ...

As a Game Warden in the Mount Kenya area, he personally shot over 3,000 buffalo and 434 lion.

Regards,

Terry

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Moved to Botswana when huntingopened there in 1967. Bought a farm in South Africa about 1970. Good book "Inside Safari Hunting" covers Eric's life up to 1969

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info guys, found a copy of the book, hope it is worth the 35.00 I paid for it.
SFC E7

Posts: 148 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 15 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brian Herne...

When my Dad was in college, a fried of his was friends with David Herne, brother of Brian Herne. They had the inviatation to go hutning with them for just the cost of the airplane ticket. But to a college student, that was still too much and Dad still wishes he would have done it.

I wonder if this Brian Herne was the same as mentioned above?

FIre Support Team

Posts: 426 | Location: Alpine, WY | Registered: 01 November 2002Reply With Quote