New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cape Buffalo Back Skin
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just got delivery; or more accurately, my son just got delivery of two pair of custom western boots, and matching belts I had made from my 2006 cape buffalo back skin. He sent me photos. I'll have to see them in person, and try them on, to tell whether I really like them. He says his pair fits good. I had them made by James Leddy. He recommended a Ruff-Out which I've never worn before. He said the hide had too many scars to have boots made the normal way. I can thank lions for that. Whether I like the boots and belt or not, they sure are going to perpetuate a memory of the hunt and the buffalo.

What have you made with your buff back skins?

On my most recent bull I'm having a soft rifle case and pistol case made.

Posts: 13860 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I had Dick Murray make me a rifle case out of a portion of mine. Looks really nice and Murray's quality is legendary.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...=996105938#996105938

Mike

Posts: 21684 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
Do you have a website for the place that made the boots?

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
James Leddy doesn't have a website, but below is a link to his address and phone. Talk to Debbie Meek.

http://www.marriott.com/city-g...=36893071&topPicks=N

If the link doesn't work search James Leddy Boots

The only other bootmaker in Texas that I found that was willing to try using my cape buffalo skin was The Tres Outlaws Boot Co. in El Paso. They have a very nice website, and I really like their work. Their price was about 20% higher than Leddy, and maybe it would have been worth it. Their website is the falconhead site below.

http://www.falconhead.com/index_site.php

Don't waste your time with Brian Thomas in Abilene. He never could make up his mind what he could do, and said it might be a year or two before he got around to it. He was pretty full of himself.

Lucchese boots are my personal favorites and I spoke to them. They were nice about it, but said they didn't make boots from someone's skin. They couldn't guarantee the work.

If someone wants to volunteer their expertise I'll e-mail my cape buffalo boot photos to you to upload to this topic. My son says the photos don't do them justice. I had the skin tanned a chocolate brown, but the flash he used give them a decided reddish tint.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey this is a great thread, thanks for posting. My backskin is going to the tannery soon. You guys have given me some good ideas for using the leather. beer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had Loveless boots in OK City OK make two pairs of boots and two vests (made locally) from my Buffalo. The tannery split the hide and I got two full hides. One black and one tan. I had black foot with my Zebra tops and the other tan bottoms with black top with my leopard stiched in the tops.
Gary Loveless is and orthapedic Dr and makes great boots. He will be in Dallas for sure and probably in Reno. I am planning to have them make two pairs from my Hippo.

As an aside it is my understanding Lucchese is now owned by another boot company and don't produce the boot they use too. I hava two pair of their boots one off the rack and one custom made (ten yrs ago) and Loveless boots are better IMO.

Google Loveless Boots.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's been years since I've been to the Ft. Worth Stockyards, but....is Leddys or Ryans still there? They make custom handfitted boots, just not sure about bringing in your own leather.
Robert

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To me the better looking boot would be either Tres Outlaws or Loveless, rather than the Leddy boot. Leddy's are about $750. Tres Outlaws $900.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Do you know what Loveless charges for a pair of custom made boots?

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
+10 on Loveless. Elephant boots & belt, Sable boots & belt, and more pending. He is always at SCI Reno and will fit you there. I still have two Buff - 1 Brn & 1 Blk, Kudu and Wart Hog tanned hides along with more Ele and some Elk hides around here.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
UEG, check their web site for current pricing and add ons. If I remember correctly my last pair were about $600 with $300 for the leopard stiching. They offer various stylings. My black buffalo/Zebra are of the spanish style where the vamp front and heel are buffalo and Zebra top comes down to the sole in the middle. They did my initials in the mule ears and corporate logo on the top. I don't remember the charge for the logo but not much.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I agree, great thread. I have a partially tanned kudu hide out in the shop that I would love to have fully vegetable tanned. Anyone know who might do this for me?

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16628 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
Here's a question for those of you who might know, once a hide has been tanned "hair on" can it be retanned to a leather tan (kind of the same process my head went through years ago Roll Eyes) so that it can be used for some leather product. Like everyone else on this forum, I have a pile of backskins with nothing to do with them. In fact, in recent trips I haven't even been saving any of the plains game backskins.

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
DOJ: Will do. Thanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Coming back from Ecuador I had a 14-hour layover in Dallas. My son met me with the cape buffalo boots. I'm pretty impressed. Leddy did a good job. They look better than the photograph and fit well. (The belt, ruff-out, is a little bit iffy though, but I'll give it a shot.)

At least now in Jakarta I can give my ostrich Luccheses a rest occassionally.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kensco:
James Leddy doesn't have a website, but below is a link to his address and phone. Talk to Debbie Meek.

http://www.marriott.com/city-g...=36893071&topPicks=N

If the link doesn't work search James Leddy Boots

The only other bootmaker in Texas that I found that was willing to try using my cape buffalo skin was The Tres Outlaws Boot Co. in El Paso. They have a very nice website, and I really like their work. Their price was about 20% higher than Leddy, and maybe it would have been worth it. Their website is the falconhead site below.

http://www.falconhead.com/index_site.php

Don't waste your time with Brian Thomas in Abilene. He never could make up his mind what he could do, and said it might be a year or two before he got around to it. He was pretty full of himself.

Lucchese boots are my personal favorites and I spoke to them. They were nice about it, but said they didn't make boots from someone's skin. They couldn't guarantee the work.

If someone wants to volunteer their expertise I'll e-mail my cape buffalo boot photos to you to upload to this topic. My son says the photos don't do them justice. I had the skin tanned a chocolate brown, but the flash he used give them a decided reddish tint.

jumping jumping jumping

Kensco, I Thought I had seen some of the ugliest boots in the world till I opened your link here for Outlaw! Man! If it weren't for the German Air base a Biggs Field, and the yankee soldiers in Fort Bliss they wouldn't sell ten pairs per year! No self respecting real Cowboy would even walk into that shop! Talk about rhinestone cowboy crap! thumbdown

.............. space

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RVL III:
It's been years since I've been to the Ft. Worth Stockyards, but....is Leddys or Ryans still there? They make custom handfitted boots, just not sure about bringing in your own leather.
Robert

Yes, Leddy's and Ryon's/Luskey's are still there. From what I remember, they will allow you to use your own skin.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3453 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
I think a campaign chair from Lewis Drake made from your back skins would be cool. They will work with you regarding patterns and frame, but you have to find your own upholstery person to do the cut and sew.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote