THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Legislation About Poaching and Terrorism in Angola, Namibia and Botswana

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Legislation About Poaching and Terrorism in Angola, Namibia and Botswana
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Legislation to protect wildlife from poaching in the Okavango River Basin of southern Africa was passed this week by the United States House of Representatives, where members who sponsored the bill raised the alarm over ties between wildlife trafficking and terrorist organization finance.

“This ecosystem spans three countries,” said bill co-sponsor Rep. Ed Royce (R-CA), one of dozens of legislators from both main political parties to support it. “It starts in the highlands of Angola, and it flows through Namibia and Botswana. Like other regions across Africa, there is a challenge here in the poaching and trafficking of threatened species in the delta.”

Those challenges include the terror threat fueled by trafficking profits in the hands of extremists and international criminal networks. “These deadly groups undermine regional stability. They spread violence. They disrupt local governance,” Royce said during the legislative session. “They have a devastating impact on the economic opportunities for members of the community.” Rep. Ed Royce (R-CA), Nancy Lindborg, Sen. Chris Coons (D-DE)

The bill, called the DELTA Act, establishes U.S. support for a cooperative conservation effort in the Okavango basin countries while boosting the success of wildlife enforcement officers in the region. Once passed in the U.S. House, it now goes to the Senate Committee on Foreign Relations for further review.

Royce, along with U.S. Sen. Chris Coons (D-DE), spoke at length this week about the issue during a discussion on illegal trafficking and terrorism hosted by the U.S. Institute of Peace. Their session on African wildlife protection, sustainable economic development and terror risk reduction is available at this link.

What are folk's thoughts on this

Share this:

Tim

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
This is what I think
http://forums.accuratereloadin...1411043/m/7791099342

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13399 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ed Royce has been a pretty sensible member of Congress for many years. My thinking is not to immediately criticize, but to wait and see the results.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is good, because it will make funding and resources available for conservation enforcement.

Implementation has to be by those who know what they're doing, e.g. INTERPOL, TRAFFIC and the member states concerned.

Posts: 408 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 01 December 2010Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ijl:
This is good, because it will make funding and resources available for conservation enforcement.

Implementation has to be by those who know what they're doing, e.g. INTERPOL, TRAFFIC and the member states concerned.

Keep on dreaming my friend!

This is nothing but a self glorifying step to make those idiots look good.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68678 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:
Originally posted by ijl:

Keep on dreaming my friend!

This is nothing but a self glorifying step to make those idiots look good.

+100%.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13625 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My take is that it's just like any other federal government program - if you want our funding you have to do it our way. "Elephant hunting? No way, Mr. Botswanaian! We in the USofA know much better than you that such majestic animals should never be harmed. And we can't really tell the difference between hunting and poaching, anyway." If the US creates a program there will need to be someone to administer it and that can be either a very good or, more likely in my jaundiced view, a very, very bad thing for sustainable management.
Hope I'm wrong, but this looks like a bureaucrat poking its nose under the tent.
kh

Posts: 247 | Location: Round Rock, Texas | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kevin henderson:
My take is that it's just like any other federal government program - if you want our funding you have to do it our way. "Elephant hunting? No way, Mr. Botswanaian! We in the USofA know much better than you that such majestic animals should never be harmed. And we can't really tell the difference between hunting and poaching, anyway." If the US creates a program there will need to be someone to administer it and that can be either a very good or, more likely in my jaundiced view, a very, very bad thing for sustainable management.
Hope I'm wrong, but this looks like a bureaucrat poking its nose under the tent.
kh

The term "Ecological Colonialism" encapsulates your first paragraph.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Keep firmly in mind that if solving a problem were so easy by just passing a law there would be no murders. I like the following Mark Twain quote:
"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session."

Most of my money I spent on hunting and fishing. The rest I just wasted

Posts: 261 | Location: Saint Thomas, Pennsylvania | Registered: 14 February 2010Reply With Quote