Find
Notify
Tools

The 375 or 9.3x62
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted
Now as I look seriously into buying a rifle for my safari, I see just how few factory 375's there are to choose from. I like that classic look with the ebony forend, iron sights, and barrel band, but almost every rifle with these feature is too much, or like the RSM, don't work for me. (the RSM is too barrel heavy). I stumbled upon a CZ 550 American in 9.3x62 and at $450, I figure I could get the things I want done to it and still have money to spare. So, I'd like to know the capabilities of this caliber. I wan't to go to Namibia, so would the accuracy at long ranges of the 9.3x62 be a cause for concern? The other problem I see with the 9.3x62 is that I'd like to one day hunt cape buffalo and this rifle makes me feel just a tad bit under gunned. I'd like to also hear about the factory 375's you would suggest that either come with those "classic" features, or can be modified to include these without breaking the bank. I guess you could say I'm looking for a mauser 98 without the price tag. Thank you for you input.

Sevens.

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Search the archives on this topic. It's been a hot one. You're fine with either, and in Africa/Europe, I understand you'll find ammo readily available. My choice for a one rifle battery would be the 375, but since it's not my only rifle, I'm having a 9.3 x 62 built.

Safe Hunting

Clint aka
Southpaw

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use both., . 375 has a little more punch. If you reload the 9.3, it comes close to the 375 ballistics.

Posts: 202 | Location: davenport, iowa | Registered: 31 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
You might want to check out a used Whitworth 375, lots of classic "express rifle" features, genuine Mauser action, great value (around $500-$700).

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Sevens,

To confuse matters further you can now get a .375 H&H CZ550 Safari Magnum with the American stock configation for only a little more than that 9.3x62 you were looking at!

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I looked at the CZ. It seems like a good buy and I'm sure it is but it seems to need several hundred dollars of work to finish it into a good shooter. By todays Mauser cost I expect that is still a bargain.

Posts: 1010 | Registered: 03 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have for sale an original old FN Mauser in very good condition in .270 that I will sell you for $700. plus postage...Have it rebarreled and openned up to a .375 or just rebarrel to a 9.3x62, both are equally as good..then you have the perfect African rifle...If you don't then I am.... I also have a win. M-54 that I installed a Lother Walther 9.3x62 barrel on, and added a Wisner screw gizzie shallow V island sight, and a NECG adjustable front sight and blued, ready to stock or use the 54 stock and shoot like it is, $800...

I feel like an old FN, a Mauser 98, or a pre 64 win. is by far a better rifle than anything on the new market today...

Posts: 41892 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
7777's

Get a .375 H&H. That way you don't have to have a mile long barrel to reach the legal minimum.

Rich Elliott

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
not one of us
posted Hide Post
Get a 45-70 Lever Action.
That is what real hunting is all about.

375??? Borrring.

C

Posts: 451 | Location: no where | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why are you concerned with the accuracy of the 9,3x62? Do you know something I don't know (which could very well be the case ;-)

BTW, I shoot a 9,3x62 Sauer 200, have shot it with all sorts of ammo, and never experienced accuracy problems. I *have* found on two ocassions that the penetration on big stags wasn't as I expected (factory 285 grs ammo), but Ray has reported earlier that he handloads 300's and 320's grs into this caliber with good results.

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray, I would love that FN if it were a 30-06 or any long action. The other problem is that it's already a bit of a peach and I need another 270 like a third wife

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Ray, Do you have any pictures of the rifle? What's it cost to get it converted to a 375?

Frans, I don't know why, but the 9.3x62's accuracy after about 200 yards seems to just drop. I get this picture of the bullet just curving straight down after being shot.

What about the Montana 1999 actions. They seem to be of good quality and I could get a barreled action for what seems like a resonable price. It may cost more than the ruger RSM and other factory rifles, but it would be built for me. I wan't this rifle to truely reflect the essance of old africa hunting in it's looks and feel. I think I'm going to go with the 375 as it's a time tested favorite and there is alot of factory available ammo. Sorry Carmelo, no 45-70.

Sevens

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post

Hello Guys, a couple of thoughts about this, and this is as short and sweet it is going to get TAKE NOTE THE 9.3X62 IS NOT AND AGAIN IWILL SAY NOT LEGAL FOR ANY DANGEROUS GAME IN AFRICA !!!!!!!

IT IS A GOOD PLAINSGAME CARTRIDGE THAT IS ALL !!!!!

TOO MANY HUNTERS THROUGHOUT THE WORLD THINK THE 9.3 IS THE ULTIMATE CALIBRE, WAKE UP SUNSHINE THE MINIMUM CALIBRE SPECIFIED IS 375 H&H . FOR DANGEROUS GAME

I really enjoy the 9.3 but it is a overgrown 30-06 or equal to 35 Whelen, once again great cartridges but not for dangerous game, stick to what is legal and your safari will be fun and you won't have the possibility of meeting Bubba, in Chikurubi prison in Harare.

Cheers

Posts: 130 | Location: St. Albans Maine | Registered: 29 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Alf, One day I'll get a 9.3, but maybe in the 9.3x64 or a nice poor mans double in 9.3x74R. There is no such thing as to many rifles, just money and for some, wives.

Sevens

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am really peeved at old ray. Every since he sent me photos of that damn FN I keep seeing it stocked in beutifull walnut with all the goodies I am just concerned about spending $800 for a receiver and all the work that has to come after to change it to a 9.3x62. Why do I get the feeling I am going to be kicking myself later on ?

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
Come on Alf let's here the story behind the water buck. It' not polite to cut a story short by the camp fire old chap !

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Alf, I think your mauser in 9.3x62 is the first rifle I actualy drooled at. That's exactly how I want my rifle to look. There are two more features I like that add that classic look, the red recoil pad and that cut out area one the ejection side of the action. I think I'll stay with the 375 for MEG. (abreviation for My Elephant/Elk Gun) Maybe when I start hand loading I'll get the 9.3.

I'd still like to hear your guys's thoughts on using a Montana 1999 barreled action, both in function and price.

Sevens

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
Alf, you're killing me. You must stop posting pics of all these old Mausers that you've got squirreled away.

posted Hide Post
Alf,

I know for a "9.3x62 Husqvarna`98 `Big-Game`" for sale here in the UK.

I have not seen the rifle yet so can't comment on the ondition. Do you know anything about them quality wise? For use as a scoped working rifle, how would it compare to a modern CZ 550 American in the same caliber?

It is priced a fair bit cheaper than the new CZ so it would leave a little in the budget for a some customising...

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Alf,

i have just spoken to the guy selling the rifle and he thinks that FN supplied the actions for Husqvarna...Does that sound right to you?

Regards

Pete

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Alf
Thanks for your information about African laws.
now my mind is clear my DGR would be a 9,3x62 and Fn or original action or Brno+ LW bbl with 1/10 twist.
Hi Pete
Those old Huskies have 1/14 twist which may not stabilise 300+ gr bullets, the cz has 1/10 twist and you may not need to change the bbl.
regards
danny

Posts: 1127 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Alf,

Thanks for that...can you give any pointers how i would tell the difference? proof markers ect?

Also, would you say they are a better action than the CZ550?

Danny,

Thanks for that..something else to consider..

Regards,

Pete

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
Alf, well you acomplished your goal I am now wound up enough that I am not even thinking about the fact that I am drinking decaf this morning. Each time I have caffeine withdrawels I think I will look at your photos !
Those are indeed truelly nice animals. Thanx very much for taking the time to share your photos and stories.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I like all of those Alf but I have always been a sucker for the Manlicher stock.

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
Alf I can see you are not a mauser fan ! Is the DWM ? A 1909 argentine conversion ???

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
The BRNO ZKK were commercial ventures then ? What time frame were theese manufactured in and are their any origionals in 9.3x62 ?

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
I did see one ZG47 in 7x57 on the Lewis Drake web site. It is a real customized peach and I absolutely love the wood. It is $2,750.

one of us
posted Hide Post
This has gone far enough!!! ALF should be immediately banned from these forums! His crime? Inflicting cruel and unusual punishment upon the other forum members by posting all of these photos!

-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd be willing to forgive alf, buy the drinks and the steaks if we could do a little product testing