New
Find
Notify
Tools

21 Day Hunt on TAA
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I really enjoyed the four part hunt on TAA; just watched the last episode. I must say, it really portrayed the ups and downs of a hunt. A 21 day is a long hunt, and really can't be covered in one or two episodes.

The hunter was a great shot. I loved the end, where he reflected on the hunt and admitted he was a bit disappointed. But you know what? Any other country I think he would have had his lion. Lord knows he wouldn't have missed!

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jjbull
posted Hide Post
Gee thanks, AAW. Not much use in me watching the 4th episode on Sunday now. Roll Eyes

Do you sit in the theatre too and describe what the next scene contains? Wink

___________________________________________________________________________________

Give me the simple life; an AK-47, a good guard dog and a nymphomaniac who owns a liquor store.

Posts: 820 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota/Florida's Gulf Coast | Registered: 23 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just finished watching it on DVD and definitely agree. Very good episodes!

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jjbull:
Gee thanks, AAW. Not much use in me watching the 4th episode on Sunday now. Roll Eyes

Why did you open this thread if you haven't seen the whole thing?
nilly

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jjbull
posted Hide Post
touche' Jason. Smiler

___________________________________________________________________________________

Give me the simple life; an AK-47, a good guard dog and a nymphomaniac who owns a liquor store.

Posts: 820 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota/Florida's Gulf Coast | Registered: 23 March 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jjbull:

Do you sit in the theatre too and describe what the next scene contains? Wink

Sorry, it didn't occur to me people actually watch it "live."

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jjbull
posted Hide Post
Just yankin' your chain, AAW. It's all good.

And if I am able, I am sure I will watch on Sunday regardless.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very well done show/hunt!

Posts: 1464 | Location: Southwestern Idaho, USA!!!! | Registered: 29 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thunder Head
posted Hide Post
Yeah i enjoyed the 4 part series too.

Only thing is it gave me this itch i cant seem to get rid of.

I have walked in the foot prints of the elephant, listened to lion roar and met the buffalo on his turf. I shall never be the same.

Posts: 813 | Location: In the shadow of Currahee | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is it possible to see re-runs of this show on the internet? I am in Canada and this show is not available.

thanks

Posts: 186 | Location: langley,BC | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
This was a great four part series. I have to say thought, I was a bit shocked when Ivan unloaded his double before walking up on a downed buffalo.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've hunted Rungwa several times for lion----it's a good area, but I never pulled one out.

Legitimate lion hunting is an expensive, low yield affair. I say "low yield" because good lions are few and far between. What you do get is excitement and memories. One time in Rungwa we crawled into a blind pre-dawn, only to find the lion taking a nap right by it (huge lion, but the SOB had less hair than me!). On another pre-dawn march in, we found ourselves with lions roaring all around us, and couldn't see a bloody thing.

What this hunter will have is the memories of a good hunt. They are far, far more valuable than a pelt. He is far more worthy of respect than some worthless SOB shooting a wonderful lion in SA.

Ivan knew that the odds were against their getting a lion for these shows. If anything, this adds credibility to the series. We did get to see some good hunting.

Posts: 477 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 21 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JohnDL:
I've hunted Rungwa several times for lion----it's a good area, but I never pulled one out.

Legitimate lion hunting is an expensive, low yield affair. I say "low yield" because good lions are few and far between. What you do get is excitement and memories. One time in Rungwa we crawled into a blind pre-dawn, only to find the lion taking a nap right by it (huge lion, but the SOB had less hair than me!). On another pre-dawn march in, we found ourselves with lions roaring all around us, and couldn't see a bloody thing.

What this hunter will have is the memories of a good hunt. They are far, far more valuable than a pelt. He is far more worthy of respect than some worthless SOB shooting a wonderful lion in SA.

Ivan knew that the odds were against their getting a lion for these shows. If anything, this adds credibility to the series. We did get to see some good hunting.

well said JohnDL

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the nice comments guys. Christy ( our Tracks editor) did a really nice job on this adventure. We agree that showing the actual outcome of a" failed" hunt is never a failure as long as the game was played fairly and portrayed as such. And this one was! With very few exceptions, the bulk of todays TV lion hunts are high fence SA cats, all huge, and always themed as " we just escaped with our lives" by the breathless shooter. We lost out to just such a hunt at an industry award show in Jan as the breathless huntress stood on stage and went into detail on her harrowing experience as she and what looked to be about a 10 man posse moved into position so she could arrow the cat as he looked on in interest from under a tree where he was napping. REAL lion hunting is not easy, and never a sure thing, but it is a honor to play the game as best you can, and a true thrill when you win.

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Was the breathless huntress on a "Driven" pursuit of the napping lion?

Posts: 72 | Location: Annapolis MD | Registered: 24 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bingo

Dave Fulson

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
hear, hear Dave! loved the show. Feel free to PM me the name of the "huntress" and *I* will post it ! Smiler

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
COUGH! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FN3pcGpUkhE COUGH!

gosh, i don't see why Ivan and his hunter had such a hard time! looks EASY! sofa

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That hunt is revolting. The shadows from the peanut gallery are practically touching the lion, and he just sits there and does nothing!

Dave, how did these guys beat out ANY of your shows?

I have no idea why anyone would want to kill a lion in this manner. It sure isn't hunting.

I went to their website and voiced my disgust. I added that TAA does it right!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave,

I greatly enjoyed that 4 part series in Tanzania! Thanks for showing what a REAL HUNT is like.

I watched the episode of Driven about the "lion shoot", I think she had 5 or 6 people backing her up with guns when they "stalked" to within 25 yards. Revolting!! barf

Posts: 618 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 01 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, Golden Moose Voters thought it was "the best hunt show of the year" and it walked away with the award. It does get old that folks cannot see the difference in this vs the real thing. I am sure Pat and Nichole are nice folks, but 'come on' as far as the danger factor is concerned.

Dave Fulson

One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Watched the video...that won an award?!!?

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
That hunt is revolting. The shadows from the peanut gallery are practically touching the lion, and he just sits there and does nothing!

Dave, how did these guys beat out ANY of your shows?

I have no idea why anyone would want to kill a lion in this manner. It sure isn't hunting.

I went to their website and voiced my disgust. I added that TAA does it right!

WELL SAID! and many will not agree, but hunting buffalo or bigger animals with a bow is a stunt at best.

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
What a bunch of overly dramatic bull shit. I especially liked the helicopter shots of the buffalo recovery. Think they might have been using the chopper to do the follow up? And the absolute best part was the inserted lion "ROAR" when the cat simply yawned.

You know guys, this is as much of an education issue as anything. For the first timer over to Africa, who has been dreaming of safari all his life, it could be easy to buy this load of crap. I know what my first trip was like. I can't help but to believe that a show like this only wins the award due to ignorance of the behind the scenes activities.

Dave, there is absolutely no comparison between "Driven" and TAA; but then of course, you already know that. Keep up the good work my friend.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I know the AR crowd knows the difference!

Dave Fulson

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Did anyone besides me feel the helicopter was being used to "herd" the buffalo?

No worries Dave, you Tim and Ivan produce a true representation of african safari. I know what's real and what's phony, as I've not only done many safaris but have also been a fan of TAA from the beginning, as well as a subject of TAA productions.

Keep up the good work and high production standards. Your awards will come. BTW, who the hell votes on these things???

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave
Awards are nice & I have to admit, I like a pat on the back from time to time myself. But doing things RIGHT & the pride in your efforts is sometimes all you get.
Hold your head up, you have a strong & loyal following my friend.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwana cecil:
Dave
Awards are nice & I have to admit, I like a pat on the back from time to time myself. But doing things RIGHT & the pride in your efforts is sometimes all you get.
Hold your head up, you have a strong & loyal following my friend.

+1

Posts: 618 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 01 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
+2 tu2

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote