Find
Notify
Tools

Freight costs - reasonable?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted
I just received the freight invoice for shipping my buffalo skull and front skin. Are these costs reasonable?

From Maple Freight:
Road freight fees BYO to Harare Airport $80
Maple Freight Documentation Fee........ $250
Nat. Parks 2% Fee for Export Permit.... $0
Bank Chare............................. $80
Security handling fee ................. $25
Total.................................. $435

Plus
The the actual freight costs:
TOTAL PREPAID CHARGES USD $887.17
(Insured from Zim to San Francisco, USA)

Weights and Measurements of the Consignment

Number of Packages : 1
Actual Weight : 67 Kgs
Volumetric Weight : 87 Kgs
Chargeable Weight : 87 Kgs

Total $1322.17

Thanks,

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I recenntly received the same sort of shipment from Zim (buff skull and skin) and the total charge to DFW was $1034.00. So I guess your charges are reasonable (if you call paying over $1000.00 to ship one box reasonable).

Karl

Karl Evans

Posts: 2901 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a buff & a couple other animals shipped from Bulawayo to Houston using Well Worldwide. Those charges were $1500. so, your freight costs were in line with what the going rate is. The easy part is the trophy fee. Hang on to your wallet as you see other charges until your trophies are on the wall.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
I have a shipment leaving Harare tomorrow.

2 Buffalo capes, backskins, skulls and horns
1 Leopard skin, skull
1 Zebra cape, backskin
2 Baboon Fullskins, skulls
1 Sable cape, backskin, skull and horns

Costs to DFW $1,590. I would say that your shipment is reasonable.

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Reasonable? Debatable! In line with what most of us pay? Unfortunately!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys,

I had a box with Euro mounts of Kudu, Gemsbok, Springbok and Warthog, plus a Steenbok shoulder mount and a felt backed Zebra rug shipped from Namibia in 2009 that cost me about $400. This seemed high to me.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Bwanamrm. Reasonable???? That is questionable, but we are held hostage by the freight companies, governments, truck drivers and anybody else who comes in contact with our trophys.

You just have to accept these costs to play the game.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Frank you got a deal. That simple.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Total shipping fees from Harare to Sacramento for one buffalo and one Zebra 2,200. Your charges were reasonable.

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by impala#03:
I agree with Bwanamrm. Reasonable???? That is questionable, but we are held hostage by the freight companies, governments, truck drivers and anybody else who comes in contact with our trophys.

NOT ANYMORE!. I am tired of paying as much or more(usually much more) for the shipping and taxidermy costs than i payed for the hunt. my trophy room is now full anyway and i will be able to spend twice as much on hunts. sorry for the thread hijack but shippers/ customs brokers/ etc. are rapidly pricing themselves out of the market. as an FYI, i had a just buffalo skull shipped from Bulawayo in June- total cost for everything was $1600 counting the dip and pack done by the outfitter FOR A 45 KILO BOX WITH JUST A SKULL. i originally wasn't even going to bring it home( already have a pedestal mount of my Tz.buff)but felt guilty about leaving a nice trophy behind. well, learned my lesson( after all, it couldn't be that expensive for just a skull, could it???). bear in mind Frank, you still will have to pay a customs broker and forward shipping from SFO to Bakersfield. count on AT LEAST another $500-700. i know this for a fact as i have a shipment of stuff shot 2 years ago in Moz sitting at SFO awaiting customs clearance and forwarding to Fresno right now.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13403 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:

NOT ANYMORE!. I am tired of paying as much or more(usually much more) for the shipping and taxidermy costs than i payed for the hunt.

I agree that it has gotten out of hand. I had 2 elephant tusks, one elephant skull, two buffalo skulls a lion skull, a set of warthog tusks, a lion full skin and an elephant tail shipped from Zim to SFO for $1,700 total.

With the prices I see today I think a funeral pyre might be the best bet.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
quote:
Originally posted by impala#03:

NOT ANYMORE!. I am tired of paying as much or more(usually much more) for the shipping and taxidermy costs than i payed for the hunt. my trophy room is now full anyway and i will be able to spend twice as much on hunts. sorry for the thread hijack but shippers/ customs brokers/ etc. are rapidly pricing themselves out of the market. as an FYI, i had a just buffalo skull shipped from Bulawayo in June- total cost for everything was $1600 counting the dip and pack done by the outfitter FOR A 45 KILO BOX WITH JUST A SKULL. i originally wasn't even going to bring it home( already have a pedestal mount of my Tz.buff)but felt guilty about leaving a nice trophy behind. well, learned my lesson( after all, it couldn't be that expensive for just a skull, could it???). bear in mind Frank, you still will have to pay a customs broker and forward shipping from SFO to Bakersfield. count on AT LEAST another $500-700. i know this for a fact as i have a shipment of stuff shot 2 years ago in Moz sitting at SFO awaiting customs clearance and forwarding to Fresno right now.

Yep, I know. I just checked my records and my box from Namibia in 2008 cost $480 to ship plus another $430 to clear in SFO. I picked it up myself though. My Taxidermist is in Ceres not to far from the Bay area.

Frank

One of Us
Picture of almostacowboy
posted Hide Post
Looks reasonable to me based on my 3 shipments.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value."
-Thomas Paine, "American Crisis"

Posts: 816 | Location: Llano, CA Mojave Desert | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pretty much the same as me. I had 9 animals from an '03 safari in Zim. That cost me a total of $642 to get home. I cleared them myself. Then, in 2007 from an "05 safari, I had two buffalo skulls/horns and capes shipped that ended up costing me $1600 to get here after it was all said and done. Maple Freight was involved, some Worldwide somebody, then I was told I could not clear them myself,(WTF?) and had to get Coppersmith in the mix to the tune of $425. It seemed crazy for 90 lbs. when the previous shipment weighed like 240 lbs. I still have a couple of trophies from 09 in Zim. that will wait til I go back and get more. I would like my big giraffe hide though. It has gotten crazy. There should be another way or someone else to work with. A little healthy competition would probably work well.

Posts: 1332 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Who is the guy in Zim that's supposed to treat us hunters with better rates, etc? Got a bad case of CRS??? Has anyone used him and is he indeed saving us money?

Posts: 725 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Andy Hunter.

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Magnum Hunter1: Maple Freight was involved, some Worldwide somebody, then I was told I could not clear them myself,(WTF?) and had to get Coppersmith in the mix to the tune of $425.

I think it is fair to say you got jobbed. Whenever BS like this comes up it is really important for us to come here to AR for advice. I would guarantee that someone here would have been able to set you(and the rest of us) straight.

Jason

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of opus72
posted Hide Post
I just received my invoice from Afropride Freight Express in Harare... $1,805.48 from Harare to Chicago.

2 buff skulls and hides, baboon skull, hyena skull and hide, kudu skull and cape, bushbuck skull and cape, lion skull and hide.

Ouch.

Posts: 262 | Location: Mount Pleasant, SC | Registered: 02 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I already have all the "stuff" I need from Africa for my trophy room. In the future nothing will be shipped back from overthere period. Pics and video will be the only thing coming back with me. All trophies will be left in the camps for decoraton of their facilities. Costs have gotten so out of hand and hassels with the whole process made this an easy call for me.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dear Gents,

The cost of air freight has definitely gone up over the past 12 months and government departments are increasing their fees all the time for documents and clearances. For example our CITES Authority has increased export permit minimum fee from $ 25 - $ 50 (100% increase) and a export permit renewal fee is now $ 200 (800% increase).

We are however committed to getting your trophies back to you as quickly and cost effectively as possible.

SevenmagLTD - I am not sure what a "case of the CRS" means but if you have any issues please email me at chipitani@zol.co.zw.

Regards

Andy Hunter

Posts: 81 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Andy, I couldn't remember your name. I have a group coming over June of 12 so I will be getting in touch with you.
CRS comes on with old age. "Can't Remember Shit" Might as well laugh about it because sure can't do anything to reverse it!!!

Posts: 725 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
7 Mag -Look forward to working with you. CRS is a great saying and we all suffer from it at times. Have a great weekend.

Posts: 81 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A few days ago I paid $3,223.90 for shipping from Tanzania to Houston, critters in the salt for a year,
hides, horns and skulls of:
1 Cape buffalo
1 Zebra
1 Topi
1 Hartebeest
1 Warthog
2 Baboons
(Chester escaped)

Air freight Charge .........$2,484.00
Terminal Handling Charge ......$80.00
Customs entry Fee ............$150.00
Fish and Wildlife User.........$74.00
Messenger Service..............$10.00
Additional Classification...... $9.00
Bonded Warehouse Han..........$150.00
ALR............................$45.00
Delivery.......................$65.00
COD Fee.......................$131.90
CDC/Public Health..............$25.00

Tanzania Game Tracker Safari/British Airways/WELL Worldwide Energy Logistics
1 crate, no weight specified, but seems to be in line with most others, I reckon. tu2

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I won't get my shipping quote on my 10 trophies until sometime next year, but reading these post is a little scary. Hope I don't end up paying as much for shipping as for the taxidermy itself.
Would shipping via sea help the cost very much? Waiting seven or eight months to get the trophies, a little while longer shouldn't make much difference.

One of Us
Picture of oakman
posted Hide Post
The quote is in the ballpark..It all on the weight and size and space on the plane.. tu2 dancing

life member of SCI
life member of NRA
NTA
Master Scorer SCI
Scorer for Rowland Ward

www.african-montana-taxidermy.com

Posts: 241 | Location: Montana USA | Registered: 01 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You have to remember that there are minimum air freight charges... ie - if you air freight a small light box it will cost you in the vicinty of $450 plus clearance costs. Add on something like a buffalo cape and you are up to $1000 plus. Make it a pallet sized box with 6 buffalo capes and it might only be $2300!! These are figures from Australia but Africa would be much the same.

The charges look OK to me.

Is it possible to walk out of a country like Zim with say a buffalo skull in your luggage?? If you can get the paperwork done before you leave it has got to make it easier to bring critters with you as baggage. I have waltzed into the USA with euro skulls before very easily.. some of our clients do it too.

Dont know why more people dont do it??

Cheers
Matt

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Graham:

Is it possible to walk out of a country like Zim with say a buffalo skull in your luggage?? If you can get the paperwork done before you leave it has got to make it easier to bring critters with you as baggage. I have waltzed into the USA with euro skulls before very easily.. some of our clients do it too.

Dont know why more people dont do it??

Cheers
Matt

I have done it twice from Namibia(skulls and horns in checked baggage, even one skin).

It was no problem, but you do need extra time to have them processed. Might be a good excuse to do some touring after your hunt.

Jason

-Jason Brown

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boatbum:
Would shipping via sea help the cost very much? Waiting seven or eight months to get the trophies, a little while longer shouldn't make much difference.

Boatbum,
Call John Meehan's Fauna and Flora

He/they will be able to tell you if ocean cargo if an option for you.

Les

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the wildlife in Africa is not the only thing getting skinned--hunters are too! lol

after several trips to Africa and trophys shipped back, I would say the charges are the goin' ( gotch-ya) rate. It seems about the price I have paid several times before.

Pictures are enough for me from now on unless it is something very special or I don't have a good one already mounted at home.

just can't afford the skinnin' anymore--so no more for me hilbily

nothin sweeter than the smell of fresh blood on your hunting boots

Posts: 746 | Location: don't know--Lost my GPS | Registered: 10 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
I have just gotten quotes for shipping via Air Cargo Systems out of J'burg for tsessebe, warthog, bushbuck, eland, blue wildebeest, blesbok and zebra. Costs were @ $850 via sea and $1250 via air. These are very close to 2008 quotes.

The costs I found outrageous were dip & pack. For this lot including back skins it was $1450! This compares with $500 for a similar lot in 2008. When the outfitter questioned the marked increase it came out that the taxidermists want their money so they gouge you if the work is not done there.

Certainly didn't have this problem with Andy Hunter in Zim but it's starting to be an issue in SA.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just paid 2314.50 for a shipment from Namibia to Atlanta with Namibia Safari Services. All of mine were finished trophies and include an Eland pedestal, Duiker pedestal, Steenbok pedesta, Dik-Dik pedestal, Skull on shields of Black wildebeest, Kudu, Gemsbok, Impala, Warthog and Steenbok. Also tanned hides of wildebeest, impala and zebra.

These charges sound reasonable to me seeing what everyone else is paying.

Posts: 618 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 01 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of maxart
posted Hide Post
Hey Frank, I know how you feel. I have walked away from a Zim shipment myself, left it there... wish Andy had taken care of that one.But we see a lot of shipments and your charges are fairly low compared to most of them... shiping charges for trophies in general are still too high though, compared to other types of goods.
Look on the bright side, you'll save a lot of money on our end because we will deliver and hang at NO charge. 250 mile round trip delivery for free...you gotta feel good about that Big Grin

Anthony

Posts: 215 | Location: colyfornnia | Registered: 13 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxart:
Hey Frank, I know how you feel. I have walked away from a Zim shipment myself, left it there... wish Andy had taken care of that one.But we see a lot of shipments and your charges are fairly low compared to most of them... shiping charges for trophies in general are still too high though, compared to other types of goods.
Look on the bright side, you'll save a lot of money on our end because we will deliver and hang at NO charge. 250 mile round trip delivery for free...you gotta feel good about that Big Grin

Anthony

Anthony, I paid for the shipping so you should see it in a couple of weeks.

Frank

One of Us
Picture of maxart
posted Hide Post
Thanks Frank, we'er following it. I'll let you know when it is in our hot little hands.

Posts: 215 | Location: colyfornnia | Registered: 13 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
I received my trophies yesterday from a Moz hunt in Oct 2009. bear in mind, it was 2 shoulder mounts( of small antelope), plus a croc skull/ belly skin and hippo tusks. total shipping/packing/customs clearance cost from Moz to RSA to Ca. was well north of $4000( not including taxi. costs!!). thank God my trophy room/house is completely jammed and i will no longer be paying these outrageous costs. these costs are beyond belief!!