THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    The velocity/penetration issue revisted
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The velocity/penetration issue revisted
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
Cape Buff,
First let me clear up your sarcastic reprisal of my post questioning my reference to re: Blackpowder, I used the term to "refer" to all of the old black powder calibers as that is what they were in the beginning, therefore I would not have to name them all, but to satisfy your need I will set forth them as the 40-65, 45-70,45-90, a host of 50 calibers up to the 50-120, at which point the nature of the beast changes as the 50-140 just may almost qualify as a near legal Cape Buff caliber....

I refer to any of these old "blackpowder calibers" to be reckoned with for all practical purposes, in their smokeless form with today hottest loads....I hope this clears up your misunderstanding of the post that no one else misunderstood...

With a honicker like Cape Buffalo I would think that you would be better informed, but this is the internet and one can attach himself to any name he pleases without the slightest amount of knowledge to the subject at hand I suppose....

Since you are of the opine that the 45-70 is a fine and capable Buffalo caliber, then I suggest that you use it to hunt them with, with my blessing, but to recommend the caliber to someone that is less "experienced" as you incinuate that you are and surely must be, is highly irresponsible on your part or so it seems to me...

I have no doubt it will kill a Buffalo as I have been told on one incident wherein a child killed one with a 22 Hornet by shooting it in the ear while it sept..I have shot them with the 7x57, 8x57 with military ball, and could kill one with a 45-70 of course, but I do not think I could even come close to stoping a charge with such a mild caliber. Common since prevails on that of which IMO you sir are certainly lacking...

Posts: 41897 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yup! and there have been times when it woulda been nice to have some sand to pee in. Walex bashfull, uncomplicated shy and retiring Noth Pacific Fisherman.

Posts: 253 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 22 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray---you might as well save your breath, don't confuse people with the facts,they already have their mind made up!

Posts: 202 | Location: davenport, iowa | Registered: 31 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've told them 45-70 guys over and over that you need as minimun a 444Marlin for cape buff. They just won't listen!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, boys . . .

Your conventional wisdom reminds me of the myraid doctors who for decades insisted that stomach ulsers were caused soley by excess acid.

Along came an Aussie Dr. who tried telling the world that he had discovered that it was caused by a bug called H-Pylori. He was riddiculed endlessly until such time that he infected himself and cured it.

Even then the ridicule only slowly died.

I'm not saying the .45-70 is the best gun/chambering for Buffs, I'm just saying that it is completely adequate as well as humane!!!

If, Gentlemen, you would show your intellect as readily as your backsides we might then be able to engage in civil discourse! < !--color-->

Posts: 45 | Location: Ft. Myers | Registered: 09 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Still trolling I see.

When will you turn 18?

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just can't seem to make it out of the primordial ooze, can you, 500grains? When you elevate yourself from the depths of your arrogance to a level where you can participate in a dialogue, feel free to contribute on an itelligent level instead of merely sniping as a coward would from the relative safety of the bush ! ! ! < !--color-->

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray;

As usual you really sum up the argument. I,too, have wondered if some people have ever translated their arguments from paper to a real live Cape buffalo at say, 35 yards distance. (I recall an old joke from when the 600 Nitro was the largest commercially available cartridge and the old timer being asked why he carried it -"because I can't get anything bigger". The 7x57 Mauser has a deserved reputation for penetration I shot a 315 lb black bear at about 80 yards where the bullet smashed a shoulder,a largely intact bullet went into the lung, broke a rib on exit and buried itself in a mud bank. We retrieved about 60% of bullet weight of 154gr. My guide who had worried because I was carrying such a "light" caliber was dumbfounded. I told him that hunters in my US state {we were in Canada}regularly shot black bear with 30-30s and 35Rem. I have also read that a legendary PH used a 7x57 on lion. Good for him. Me, I would like to use a 50 cal.MG if I have to face a Cape buffalo at close quarters again. Just kidding, but you get the point. There is a lot of difference between measuring the performance of a cartridge on a rifle range and using the cartridge in the field-and yes, "penetration" tests are no comparison as one poster has pointed out acutely. (hydrostatic shock to tissue can't be measured in any event and I'm not sure that hydrostatic shock will put down a Cape buffalo anyway.I heard horror stories of nyati being hit repeatedly in tissue and refusing to either go down or to stay down. My PH urged me the night before our first day out- "Break bones". I'm glad I listened to him) Here's my argument (for what it's worth) against using the 45-70. It's a cartridge that has been around for over a century. I just can't believe that over the years the people who regularly faced DG in Africa just didn't know how "good" it was. I mean, somebody came up with these rules about "minimum calibers" and those people couldn't have been fools or ignorant about this cartridge. So a bunch of real experts concluded that the 375 H&H was the minimum cartridge for use on most DG in Africa - and, I, coming to Africa, should ignore them? I would prefer to go with the experts. ( If the 45-70 supporters are wrong when nyati comes galloping over to discuss with me why I shot at him, I doubt that they would come to my funeral!

Posts: 649 | Location: NY | Registered: 15 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gerald...

I think now that I can see where you and your compatriots are coming from with respect to the .45-70 and its being too little. You have referred to its being over a century old (correct, it was put into service in 1873, the same date as the venerable .45 Colt) and must, therefore, be referring to its relative stopping power back then.

Today a load of 405 grains at 2000+ FPS is easily and safely achieved ! ! ! < !--color-->

one of us
posted Hide Post
Capebuff,

Just a friendly question, Have you ever shot a cape buffalo?

Thanks

Mike

Posts: 1853 | Location: Prairieville,Louisiana, USA | Registered: 09 October 2001Reply With Quote