THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Our wildlife is fair game-President Sata

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Our wildlife is fair game-President Sata
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
http://allafrica.com/stories/201110311665.html

Our Wildlife Is Fair Game - President Sata
Simon Allison
31 October 2011

The previous administration valued animals more than hungry humans, says Zambia's President Michael Sata. In response, he's gone to the other extreme, disbanding the country's wildlife authority and releasing hundreds of prisoners convicted of wildlife-related crimes. Zambians will be fed as long as they like their meat poached.

The South Luangwa National Park, Zambia's biggest and most beautiful, tries to maintain a delicate balance between the needs of the people and the needs of the astonishing variety of animals and fragile eco-systems within its porous boundaries. Poaching is forbidden, of course, and is strictly monitored. But it happens.

It's not unheard of for guests at one of the luxury lodges which line the Luangwa River to be woken up by gunfire, unsure of whether the bullets came from a poacher's gun or were directed at a poacher by a park ranger. Big-time poachers are after elephant ivory or a leopard pelt; hungry poachers, just looking for a meal, might go for an antelope or warthog.

But the animals are even more likely to encroach on human territory.

Elephants are a particular problem, roaming far and wide to find the 600kg of food each adult needs a day. Villagers' crops make an enticing afternoon snack, and in a few short hours a small herd of elephant can destroy a subsistence farmer's livelihood. Sympathy in the villages for the massively destructive creatures is in short supply, and it's easy to understand why.

The dividing lines between the people and the animals are monitored by the Zambian Wildlife Authority which staffs the national parks and provides the armed scouts and rangers who enforce the law.

Although plagued with the bureaucracy of most government bodies, Zawa has a sound reputation for getting the right things done right. Its job is a difficult one at the best of times, but has just been made exponentially harder by Zambia's new President Michael Sata.

Michael Sata would style himself as the "people's president", and as far as the animals are concerned he's already living up to that title. The first warning signs emerged during his speech to open parliament. "In order for us to preserve our wildlife for tourism, we must also put measures in place to control the problem of human-animal conflict in game management areas which has led to increased levels of hunger and poverty among our people," he said.

These measures soon became apparent, although they're unlikely to help preserve the wildlife.

Firstly, Sata dissolved the board of Zawa, leaving Zambia's wildlife protectors without leadership. His reasoning: "There are certain institutions which have more respect for animals than human beings.

I have today dissolved the Zawa board and I have to look at it, to reconstitute it." He added that the reconstituted board would be mandated to serve the interests of Zambians rather than animals.

Then, in an even more dramatic move, he pardoned more than 600 prisoners, most of whom had been jailed for wildlife-related offences.

"When I dissolved the Zambia Wildlife Authority board last week, I said this institution and the [previous] MMD government seemed to have respected animals more than human beings. As a result, a lot of our poor people were imprisoned over minor wildlife-related offences," Sata said.

These people are now free, and their release is an unmistakeable message to any Zambians thinking of hunting an impala for the pot: go for it.

Already, some reports have emerged that Zawa officials are being threatened and intimidated while on the job. In one incident, two Zawa officers were killed on duty in the west Zambezi game management area.

According to the Times of Zambia, deputy minister of mines and natural resources Richard Musukwa, was at pains to assure parliament that "the unfortunate incident was not in any way related to a statement made by President Michael Sata over Zawa and his recent pardon of some prisoners over poaching-related offences". It's hard to avoid making that connection, however, when Zawa's authority and existential rationale has been so thoroughly undermined by the president.

"God gave us animals for us to admire, and not animals to turn against us," Sata also said when he explained why he was dissolving Zawa's board. But in tacitly condoning poaching, he might just be making sure there's a lot less animals for Zambians to admire. DM

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9486 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Who sets the quota in Zambia?

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is this archtypically African, or what?

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It isn't food security, property rights, appropriation of land by elites, corruption and host of other issues - its conservation thats the problem. Next thing he'll do is commit huge tracts of bush to something dumb like inedible jetropha for bio-fuel as the saviour of his nation.

Stupid donkey...

Posts: 1274 | Location: Alberta (and RSA) | Registered: 16 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It isn't food security, property rights, appropriation of land by elites, corruption and host of other issues - its conservation thats the problem. Next thing he'll do is commit huge tracts of bush to something dumb like inedible jetropha for bio-fuel as the saviour of his nation.

Stupid donkey...

already has...

One of Us
Picture of Bwana Nderobo
posted Hide Post
This is not good news at all...

Phil Massaro
President, Massaro Ballistic Laboratories, LLC
NRA Life Member
B&C Member
www.mblammo.com

Hunt Reports- Zambia 2011
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1481089261

"Two kinds of people in this world, those of us with loaded guns, and those of us who dig. You dig."

Posts: 441 | Location: New Baltimore, NY | Registered: 14 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Right now I'm just shaking my head! Looks like I'll be scratching Zambia off my list.

Posts: 835 | Location: Plover, Wi | Registered: 04 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
Not surprised in the least, Remember Zambia just reopened to hunting in GMA's in 2003. It seems to me that the African Black governments are replete with "wandering policies" when it comes to wildlife, hunting and conservation.

I firmly believe 100000% that I, in my lifetime will hunt Kenya. I also feel relieved that I have shot EVERY hunt able species in Zambia.

The only thing constant is change.

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3543 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
AWA

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Steve-

I think I might still have a few Zambia species I've not taken, but Roan is the only one I can think of off the top of my head. However, I still believe that the Luangwa Valley is as close to heaven as one can get and still be on Earth, and so would hate to see it ruined.

This is so typical of African thinking, to live in the moment without a care for the future or sustainability. It just makes me tired. coffee old

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
we forced the Europeans to give up their empires(yet we pressed with ours under (Manifest Destiny) with the naive belief that given enough time and resources (since stolen en masse) they could turn all the African countried into little Switzerlands. We reap what we sow.

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
Mike,
I completely agree, The Luangwa is the holy grail of our collective passions. Unfortunately it will suffer first, hardest and most due to the amount of village activity around.

Steve

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3543 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are there private landowners in Zambia or just National Parks run by the govt.?

If there are private landowners is everything fairgame on their land as well(?)...that would be insane.

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana Nderobo
posted Hide Post
Im glad I got to see it, even once...

Phil Massaro
NRA Life Member
B&C Member
www.mblammo.com

"Two kinds of people in this world, those of us with loaded guns, and those of us who dig. You dig."

Posts: 441 | Location: New Baltimore, NY | Registered: 14 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jorge:
we forced the Europeans to give up their empires(yet we pressed with ours under (Manifest Destiny) with the naive belief that given enough time and resources (since stolen en masse) they could turn all the African countried into little Switzerlands. We reap what we sow.

Exactly!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37821 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In Zambia vast majority of land is state land, most of which controlled by local councils / paramount chiefs. If you wanted to develop land you can get a 99 year lease, and that the basis for most commercial farming. There is little in the way of land title and that's one of the biggest problems for locals trying to grow their way out of poverty. In the early 1990's there were plenty of villages in the eastern Provence with not metal tools etc.

I can empathise with the locals needing food and taking game for local consumption. Very different is large scale poaching for ivory or meat. When I was out there, thousands of hippos were slaughtered to feed armies in Angola and then the Congo.

But as somebody so rightly said AWA - that's why despite my family being from Zambia I live in the UK.

Posts: 985 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
It is early days yet and the dust has yet to settle. Sata used this talk while campaigning and I suspect it is little more than some pay back to his voters. I know Sata's son Joel and he is a very keen hunter and sportsman.

The world bank has politely asked the new President to elaborate on his comments.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9957 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
AWA??? I think it should be ALA...Africa Looses Again!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37821 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Heym SR20,

Nearly all land is communal not state as you have stated.

Titles are attached to 99 year leases which are automatically renewable. Investors are offered attractive packages which include tax free incentives and other desirable clauses including entry as residents.

Why on earth would you want to live in the UK?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys,

I would think the long time future of Zambian hunting is not in any immediate danger. I also think that probably President Sata's comments and actions are just what fairgame described as a lot of posturing in connection with the election. Comments like "I'm glad I got a chance to see it" are reminiscent of what was on AR a few years ago about Zim. Look Africa is Africa and things can change quickly but I don't see any of it going in the crapper overnight.

I have a bunch of bookngs on the Luangwa plus the Kafue this year and I'll be checking out a new area for future safari with Andrew Baldry this coming Sept. I'm not panicking and I see no reason for anyone else to.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunted the Northern Luangwa area in October. I agree with Mike and others, I think that's as close to a perfect hunting area as I have hunted.

I am planning to go back!

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

While I agree in context with your remarks, fact is, when the lands are "properly managed" as was the case up until recently, all benefit. Zimbabwe for example is a stark reminder of what happens when the best of intentions get crossed witrh reality - Africans just an not mamage their resources to any degree of sustainability. Tribal traditions get in the way.

One of Us
Picture of Bwana Nderobo
posted Hide Post
Mark- My comment was made based upon the upheaval in Tanzania in 07. I sincerely hope you are correct, and things long term stay good. Zambia, especially duPlooys blocks in the Luangwa, are the best game fields Ive ever seen, and I wouldn't want to see that change. The political changes in TZ took that country off the market for me, and I'm also glad I got to see that once. So I stand by my statement, and cross my fingers that you are right and I'll see the Luangwa again!

Phil Massaro
NRA Life Member
B&C Member
www.mblammo.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
Phil,

I meant nothing personal. The press throws these things out and people react. If anyone follows all of this stuff you see in the press for long enough you realize that changes in African hunting opportunities come and go and any one article does not mean the end of hunting or the begining anywhere.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tribal traditions get in the way

"Wemmer's Dictionary" definition of corruption Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Anjin
posted Hide Post
I am very sympathetic to the hunting industry in Zambia, and indeed I had a fabulous hunting experience there myself. However, there are many more dimensions to this than the cited story might suggest, and I am not at all sure how correct it is.

First of all, President Sata took over recently in a peaceful turnover which is pretty rare in Africa. He was the opposition leader and I can well imagine that he has to make statements that appeal to the public.

Second, Zambia has one of the fastest growing populations in the world according to a BBC piece a few days ago. See http://forums.accuratereloadin...rums/a/frm/f/1411043. In another report, BBC says its population may triple by 2050. Major changes are going to be required if that happens.

One the other hand, Zambia has a very large area, three times that of Britain. It has fine mining and agricultural resources which, if used properly, can support its needs without destroying its wildlife. I tend to believe that this will get sorted out before poaching takes over completely. (Although I will say that there was a lot of poaching in Kafue when I was there.)

My greatest concerns right now are the inroads that China and India are making in many African countries that could affect the way their economies develop. Ideally, change will come that preserves wild game and hunting for the long run. Some countries will mess this up but I'd give Zambia more time before concluding that it has done so.

Norman Solberg
International lawyer back in the US after 25 years and, having met a few of the bad guys and governments here and around the world, now focusing on private trusts that protect wealth from them. NRA Life Member for 50 years, NRA Endowment Member from 2014, NRA Patron from 2016.

Posts: 554 | Location: Sandia Mountains, NM | Registered: 05 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Anjin
posted Hide Post
Sorry, that BBC cite should be http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-15433140.

Norman Solberg
International lawyer back in the US after 25 years and, having met a few of the bad guys and governments here and around the world, now focusing on private trusts that protect wealth from them. NRA Life Member for 50 years, NRA Endowment Member from 2014, NRA Patron from 2016.

Posts: 554 | Location: Sandia Mountains, NM | Registered: 05 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can put as much lipstick on a pig as you want but the fact remains he let 600 jailed poachers go. My guess is the 600 are but the tip of the iceberg of the real number of poachers and the message is there are no consequences for poaching. Not good.

Next up is which of the concession owners/operators supported the old president and I bet their future is limited...its the African way.

Kalahari Lion (Bots 07)

Posts: 101 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 03 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DawnRoar:
You can put as much lipstick on a pig as you want but the fact remains he let 600 jailed poachers go. My guess is the 600 are but the tip of the iceberg of the real number of poachers and the message is there are no consequences for poaching. Not good.

Next up is which of the concession owners/operators supported the old president and I bet their future is limited...its the African way.

Dawnroar,

Most of the 600 were caught with an extra Duiker in the boot of their car or some other minor infringement such as trading in endangered birds. Many have been imprisoned for simply dealing in or being in possession of game meat.

Our wildlife laws are stringent and our wildlife department and indeed Joe Public is not fazed by the Sata's comments. Sure we released 600 but the same people will be dealt with accordingly if they reoffend.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
It is early days yet and the dust has yet to settle. Sata used this talk while campaigning and I suspect it is little more than some pay back to his voters. I know Sata's son Joel and he is a very keen hunter and sportsman.

The world bank has politely asked the new President to elaborate on his comments.

Friends in Zambia tell me that the new President likely fired the Board of ZAWA rather than abolishing the entire ZAWA. (Hard to bleieve a President has the power to abolish what is likely to be a statutory body.) In any case, huge amount of dust is in the air and grounds exist to be concerned, especially by the dubious example of freeing poachers who, presumably, have not served out enough of their sentences to benefit from an amnesty...

Regards, Tim

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote