Find
Notify
Tools

Watch cover ?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of JefferyDenmark
posted
I the great book "Nyati" by Kevin "Doctari" Robertson it is recommended to use a watch cover when hunting DG.
I would like to hear your opinion on the matter.
What do you use if any ?
I was thinking of going MS style with a sweat band.

Cheers,

Andr�

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Who needs a watch on safari...I wish one day would last all year..time is not important... unless you have to leave
Mike

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
Mark's sweatband works great, and I use it myself. When I roll my sleeves up, the sweatband goes on.

AD

one of us
Picture of Deerdogs
posted Hide Post
You could always get one of those webbing and velcro affairs as used by the military.

Personally I take my watch off when I go on holiday.

Posts: 1978 | Location: UK and UAE | Registered: 19 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
retreever and Deerdogs

Sometimes you have to meet up somewhere at a given time and the a watch comes in handy unless you are very good to tell time by looking at the sun.

Cheers,

Andr�

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just don't think elephants or buffalo care what time it is and all cats worry about is feeding time.

Rich Elliott

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think that is reaching a bit, I have been wearing a watch for many years without a cover...Not saying it couldn't happen, but I never felt Buffalo were that smart..

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys
Anybody else ?

Cheers,

Andr�

posted Hide Post
I don't bother. I figure my binocular lenses, scope lens, rifle barrel, and white face shines more than my watch face does.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know what you guys mean I was just trying to eliminate one more object that could reflect the sun. My DG rifle has a mate finish. And I usualy don't wear Walter shirts

Cheers,

Andr�

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
I tend to find the solution for watches discussed in the movie "Pulp Fiction" works pretty well.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
NitroX
However I am not planning to carry my watch up my ass on my next safari. I have a rather big diving watch and it would hurt like hell

Cheers,

Andr�

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
An alternative option is to put your watch in a pocket.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
NitroX

Just like the Americans never give you their guns (then again who does ) a Diver newer gives up his time unit

Cheers,

Andr�

<allen day>
posted
I always wear my watch while hunting, and the sweatband really does eliminate noise, glare, etc. I highly recommend it.

What's the worst thing that's going to happen to if you give it a try?

AD

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Andre', don't worry about all the Fu FUs, just go ahead and use your sweat band, as you please! Buffalo may not care what time it is, but on a stalk, anything that draws attention to you, that can be illeminated should be! Game's attention is more attracted by movement, than anything else, and a flashing reflection from a flat watch crystal looks like movement. I'm not a fan of MS, but he is a great PH,in many ways, and some of the things he practices are very good ideas. On Safari I use the cheap little Casio digital watches, that are flat black plastic, band and all, with a small square window to read time.There isn't much to flash there, but I still use a sweat band, just like my HERO MS! I usually give the watch to one of the trackers when I leave for home! I always use a good watch when traveling, but lock it in my gun case in camp.

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dear Mac and allan

Thank you very much for your advice. I will use the sweat band to cover my watch when I go.
I like MS he is so calm when put in a stressful situation and he shoots very well with his doubles. I se how people handle stress allot in my work as a Deep Sea Diver when a situation becomes dangerous. And I my work - like in Mark's if you F... up then you pay the ultimate price.

Cheers,

Andr�

Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have always worn a watch, and all the PH I have hunted with have too.

Not a single one had any cover over them.

Posts: 67001 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Saeed,

Me too. I usually wear one with a leather band and dull face (I like the TIMEX Expedition series w/indiglo). I've never seen a PH cover up a watch but there's always the first time.

Rich Elliott

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In retrospect...I had a client show up a few years ago with a 5 figure diamond and gold ROLEX that shined like a neon sign. That was a bit too much. I was really more worried about him being knocked in the head for it in town than I was about any buffalo seeing it but if ever any watch was going to spook game, that was the one.
Rich Elliott