Notify
Tools

Promises, promises
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Namibia: Our Takeover of Farmland Won't be a Disaster Like Zimbabwe's

Wednesday, April 21, 2004

WINDHOEK, Namibia � Brushing off fears of Zimbabwe-style farm invasions, President Sam Nujoma assured Namibians on Wednesday that a land expropriation program would be conducted in a legal and orderly manner.
Most of Namibia's productive farmland is owned by whites who make up less than 5 percent of the country's 1.8 million people. The government is identifying a number of white-owned commercial farms for redistribution to landless blacks.

The plan, combined with union threats to invade some farms, has raised fears of the kind of violent land seizures that have plunged neighboring Zimbabwe into political and economic turmoil.

But Nujoma insisted that the owners of expropriated farms would be compensated and that the country's constitution respected.

"Any concerns about land reform should be laid to rest," he said Wednesday in his last state-of-the-nation address.

Nujoma's close relationship with Zimbabwe's President Robert Mugabe has stoked fears in Namibia that land expropriation might be equally violent and unjust. Nujoma has stood by Mugabe as Zimbabwe has grown increasingly isolated over the government's violent suppression of the opposition.

Nujoma, who has led Namibia since independence from South Africa in 1990, plans to retire next year after presidential elections in November.

Posts: 932 | Location: Delaware, USA | Registered: 13 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, trust me, and you'll wear diamonds as big as horse turds!!! Another little African politician getting preped to "steek et to you" Africaner man....

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Like I totally believe he is not a lying piece of crap.

Posts: 19317 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep, racing forward to go back to the 12th century so that every peasant can have a plot of land and everyone will survive by subsistence farming. Nothing like progress.

By the way:

What did they use for lighting in Zimbabwe before they had candles?

Answer: Electricity!!!

-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BULLSHIT!

one of us
Picture of Redlander
posted Hide Post
I watched part of that show on PBS Nova last night and even the Chinese finally have learned that subsistence farming doesn't work and that it creates ecological disaster. I just hope African Hunting lasts until 2008, otherwise, I'll just have to do my "African Safari" here in Texas . There's a lot of great things about the "Greatest State in the Union" but we've done a lot game management badly here.

Posts: 842 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 23 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Damn! I hope Namibia holds together till '07. That's when I promised my grandson a hunt there for his high school graduation present.

Posts: 747 | Location: Nevada, USA | Registered: 22 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually subsistance farming does quit well combined with the bush meat market, but then in about a year the game has all been shot and trapped out and they starve to death on sweet potatoes....but not to worry, the politicians have stacked enough cash in off shore banks to take care of themselves...Ain't life great...

Man, I am glad to be an American, that is a true blessing in todays world....

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Every time I see articles like this, it makes me feel good that I am going to get to hunt Africa (leave in 5 days!), but I fear that a second trip in 4 years may not be a reality.

Posts: 83 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 03 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Isn't that what Mugabe said at the start of his so called land reform?

Bravo five one

Posts: 109 | Location: New Mexico,USA | Registered: 06 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Ought to make the treehuggers happy. Don't they want us all to return to the stone age?
Russ

Posts: 3828 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote