Notify
Tools

why is 416 Rigby so expensive?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted
This question would fit for other ammo too

What causes 416 Rigby ammo to be so much more expensive than the other 416 ammo.

Is it the brass or just marketing hype.

I like the Rigby, and by the posts here, so do many of you.

If it is so much more popular than the 416 rem mag, for example, why the price difference.

I honestly would like your opinion - I can't figure out a legitamite reason for it.

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

Posts: 933 | Location: Casa Grande, AZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
Two issues, well three, actually. For one thing, there's a greater volumn of powder and brass in a 416 Rigby round than, say a 375 H&H.

Likewise, expensive premium bullets are also used in Rigby ammo, and those require more material to produce as well.

Just as importantly, the 416 Rigby is a comparatively low-volumn round to produce in terms of sales. Even the 375 H&H sells by at least a ten-to-one margin over the Rigby, and this has a huge impact on cost........

AD

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Hornady will start producing 416 Rigby ammo in 2006. Hopefully the price will be more in line with reality.

However, look at Remington 416 ammo, it's all premium stuff and the cost is $85 a box.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I seem to recall reading somewhere that the case was hard to manufacture due to the 45 degree shoulder. But, once a manufacturer is set up to make it (startup costs) I don't see how that would continue to be a factor. Unless, maybe, there is a high rejection rate during production.

Just my ranblings....
-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
On Midwayusa website federal uses the same bullets to load their 416rem mag ammo as their 416 Rigby and A-square uses their bullets in both rounds.

A-square 416rem $79 to $85
Federal 416rem $86 to $89
Remington 416 rem $86

A-square 416 rigby $75 to $77 box of 10
Federal 416 rigby $133

Weatherby brand 416wby with a-square solid $105

Even weatherby 416wby is nearly $30 dollars cheaper per box than federal 416 rigby and all it is is a rigby with a belt, should be harder to make brass than the rigby.
Yeah ok a little more brass and powder than the 416 rem. To cost nearly twice as much get real now.
Like I said especially when Wby can sell 416 Wby nearly $30 dollars cheaper per box.

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK so now why is 470's running about 9-10 apiece. I can buy the brass for $2 each a bullet for less than $1 each powder primers etc. I'd like to sell a bunch of the stuff for what they get for it.

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Look at the shoulder of the 416 Rigby, its a hard cartridge to make. That being said, its also a very low volume seller. Lets face it, it was an Expensive Cartridge and an Expensive rifle to buy up till you could buy a Ruger or a CZ. Well at least you can buy brass and ammo these days it was not so long ago if you wanted 416 brass, you bought 460 Weatherbys and then you turned off the belt on a lathe and then you necked down and fire form. And that cost more the 2 or 3 bucks a case you are paying now. Its the same with the Dakota Cartridges and the Warbird line. Heck back in 1970 Weatherby Ammo was really expensive, and it still is. Except now you can get some Weatherby cartridges from Federal and Remington. From 1911 when Rigby introduced the 416 to 1980, Rigby made a total of 180 rifles so chambered, throw in some custom rifles and a few guns from Contintent and well you can see that there were never a whole lot of 416's around. Now its a little better, at least ammo bullets and cases are to be had. After all a 100 cases would last a life time.

Posts: 1070 | Location: East Haddam, CT | Registered: 16 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
What causes 416 Rigby ammo to be so much more expensive than the other 416 ammo

Because people will pay that much.

I don't mean to sound flip, but that's pretty much the sum of it.

Hopefully, some competition will lower the price.

one of us
Picture of Clem
posted Hide Post
The 416 Rigby case is unique. The 375 H&H has the same belted head as all the belted magnums so there is some commonality in tooling. They can make the basic unfinished case for all (most) of the belted cartridges in one batch then run them through the final tooling to shape the body, shoulder and neck. Economy of scale the 416 Rigby does not have.

Posts: 1292 | Location: I'm right here! | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
for the same reason a dbl guns in 375 H&H sells for much more tha it does in a bolt action...some people with little dicks and big egos are wiling to pay the price so they can feel like BIG SHOT

<allen day>
posted
RangerBob, that "willingness to pay" angle rings of much truth. Wink

AD

One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RangerBob:
quote:
What causes 416 Rigby ammo to be so much more expensive than the other 416 ammo

Because people will pay that much.

I don't mean to sound flip, but that's pretty much the sum of it.

Hopefully, some competition will lower the price.

We have a WINNER!

Personally if Hornady starts making ammo for the 416 Rigby in 2006 I dont care if federal ever sells another box of 416 Rigby ammo. I hate when companies try to screw people like Federal is doing now with their 416 Rigby ammo.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
for the same reason a dbl guns in 375 H&H sells for much more tha it does in a bolt action...some people with little dicks and big egos are wiling to pay the price so they can feel like BIG SHOT

I just have to ask.....what color is the sky on your planet? Roll Eyes

Best,

John

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
bright blue John, I just call them like I see them. Stepping on sacred toes never bothers me Wink

One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cats:

This is a time where I have to agree with cats thumb

Cost a little more ok maybe, but come on now start at about 10,000 minimum and go up. Give me a break.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cats:

cats,

Go troll somewhere else.

-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
sorry Bob if you're toes are sore keep them under your desk

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got into reloading to cut costs and it works. I´ve never bought a factory loaded round for my .416 Rigby.

If you can´t afford what it costs to reload buy a .308 and stop whining.

http://www.tgsafari.co.za

"What doesn´t kill you makes you stranger!"

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
cewe is right. If you want to shoot a Rigby, reloading is the way to go. It is a low pressure round and you will not wear out the brass anytime soon. If you want a Rigby, just to keep in the safe and pull out to look at once in a while, ammo cost doesn't matter much. Bullets cost what they cost for Rigby, Weatherby, Remington. You can find factory second bullets or blems once in a while. I got a thousand for about 200$ a while back for plinking rounds. This should do me for this lifetime. This is not a round I will pick for praire dogs. I will buy premium bullets for hunting DG.
I do understand that the angle to the shoulder is difficult to manufacture. Large % of rejects on making brass. That can't help costs.
Once you got the brass you will not notice the difference in cost of reloading. It will take about 20-30 gr more powder than the Remington.
By the way I enjoy my small member and large rifle.

Although cartridge selection is important there is nothing that will substitute for proper first shot placement. Good hunting, "D"

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana1
posted Hide Post
Just be glad you can get it.Back in the early 80s it was difficult to find loaded ammo so I loaded it myself.Brass and bullets were in short supply.Now no problem.......

Posts: 795 | Location: Vero Beach, Florida | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JohnTheGreek:
quote:

I just have to ask.....what color is the sky on your planet? Roll Eyes

Best,

John

John, I am with you WTF is that guy smoking?

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What's the matter D99 you don't like reading the truth? I have thought many times some of your posts were tasteless as well.
BTW I do believe I've heard of a supplement that may help you .....er,below the belt!

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Nobody has mentioned the price of Norma in 416 Rigby. In France it is much cheaper than the Federal loads (selling for almost 130 Euros in France), costing about 75 Euros. What's the price in the USA?

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think it’s simple economics… Supply and demand. There isn’t enough demand to drive a more competitive supply chain.

I shoot a .416 Rigby because it’s sexy and I love the nostalgia of it… not because it’s economical.

From a practicality standpoint the .416 Rem. would have been a more logical round. But I hand load and I have NO REGRETS.

Make the first one count!

Posts: 337 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted Hide Post
it's not that I wouldn't pay the price for the load, I was just curious to hear your feedback.

I may get a Rigby yet.

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

Posts: 933 | Location: Casa Grande, AZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Go for it... we need more in our fraternity...

Make the first one count!

Posts: 337 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For the same reason a divorce is so expensive. "Cause it's worth it"!

Pancho
LTC, USA, RET

"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." Clint Eastwood

Give me Liberty or give me Corona.

Posts: 937 | Location: Roswell, NM | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roidot,
reply to "why is 416Rigby so expensive?"

Well, expense is a relative thing. People who can afford Bentleys dont complain about the chauffers wages or the fuel bill.
Yet ,you dont have to be a millionare to enjoy a Rigby,Some people have 20 average guns. Some have much less and prefer to spend on the privelidge of having a Rigby 416, and those people sometimes end up spending less cause they are more focused and their resources less spread.Ie: they are happy firing off afew rounds in the Rigby, which often is much less expensive than setting up for "20" guns.The price of Brass/ammo for the Rigby is not the big issue, cause your playing a different game. Each roll of the dice costs more.but you generally dont roll them anywhere near as often.

But if you reckon That is expensive check out what Westley Richards charges for 300H&H ammo.

http://westleyrichards.com/gun/ammo_metal.html

I do believe low volume is a determining factor in price,just cause you become set up to make it does not mean the price should drop to say 375H&H prices. Just about anything low volume in this world incures higher costs. Bentley is "set up" to make its cars,but they did not set it up to compete with Ford.
If you want to party with Kate Moss you need the $$$ for the cocaine, Personally I think the Rigby is much more class and far beter value. A 410gnWoodleigh/130grains of powder costs far less than aline of coke, and I would say that she does more lines in a year than what most 416Rigby owners would fire in a year. Plus she would have a far bigger bore than the Rigby, but it probably started out as a.270.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a friend that worked at federal and when I asked him why do you charge so much for 416 rigby ammo? His answer," because we can". Simple as that.

One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gunny:
I had a friend that worked at federal and when I asked him why do you charge so much for 416 rigby ammo? His answer," because we can". Simple as that.

cha ching thumbdown

One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted Hide Post
You gents don't have to try to convince me that the cost is not really that much.

I have no problem paying for brass, dies, bullets for a caliber I like.

I was truly curious about you opinions on the differences in prices between similar calibers.

When I decide on a caliber, the dies, brass, & Bullets are ordered - damn the cost!

I agree - 80% marketing (sell for what ever traffic will bear)

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
416 Rigby brass is expensive to make because there are a lot of rejects due to the shoulder shape. It's basically an Ackley-improved case.

Add to that the fact that it is produced in low volume and the overhead gets spread out over a small number of cases, making each one expensive.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
Although I think it is way overpriced. I have never owned a 416 Rigby and I really like the appeal of it.
If I buy one I will get 100-200 cases to reload and be done with it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Given the choice,I prefer the life style of the Vandervelts rather than that of the string belts.
Entry into the right club dont come cheap. The wealthy look for value when making money, not when thay are trying to spend it.

Royalty rarely spawns many.

Long Live the 416 Rigby beer

One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodjack:
Given the choice,I prefer the life style of the Vandervelts rather than that of the string belts.
Entry into the right club dont come cheap. The wealthy look for value when making money, not when thay are trying to spend it.

Royalty rarely spawns many.

Long Live the 416 Rigby beer

ok and?

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
I own a 416 Rigby (Ruger). it's been slightly customized with a new recoil pad, hand honed action, QD mounts for the scope, upgraded front sight bead, and gold filed rear sight to help in sight alignment when using the irons. I like the rifle and the caliber very much, but on reflection, I let the "romantic" aspect of the cartridge cloud my judgement a bit. The rifle is heavy at close to 12lb fully loaded. The more practical rifle would have been a 416 Rem in say a Model 70 action which makes for a lighter, trimmer package with identical ballistics. The pressure problems witht he 416 were either "urban legend" or have been resolved so that is not an issue. Bottom line if I'm ging to field such a large action, might as well get something with more punch lije on of the 450s or even a460 Weatherby. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well, expense is a relative thing. People who can afford Bentleys dont complain about the chauffers wages or the fuel bill.

Well said, Woodjack!

I wonder how many Bentley owners query the price of spark plugs on the internet forums they frequent?

Jorge,

Heavy and impractical, yes. But it's got lots of snob appeal, no?
I mean wouldn't some of the gilding be off the lily if Wallyworld sold 416 cartridges for the everyday low price of $7.81? High prices keep out the riff-raff.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jorge:
I own a 416 Rigby (Ruger). it's been slightly customized with a new recoil pad, hand honed action, QD mounts for the scope, upgraded front sight bead, and gold filed rear sight to help in sight alignment when using the irons. I like the rifle and the caliber very much, but on reflection, I let the "romantic" aspect of the cartridge cloud my judgement a bit. The rifle is heavy at close to 12lb fully loaded. The more practical rifle would have been a 416 Rem in say a Model 70 action which makes for a lighter, trimmer package with identical ballistics. The pressure problems witht he 416 were either "urban legend" or have been resolved so that is not an issue. Bottom line if I'm ging to field such a large action, might as well get something with more punch lije on of the 450s or even a460 Weatherby. jorge

I dont own any 416 but the 416 Rigby is the one I want. Like Jorge said the reason the Rigby appeals to me is the romance of the cartridge. but I agree the 416Rem Mag I really believe to be the more pratical of the 2.

One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by onefunzr2:
quote:

Well said, Woodjack!

I wonder how many Bentley owners query the price of spark plugs on the internet forums they frequent?

Jorge,

Heavy and impractical, yes. But it's got lots of snob appeal, no?
I mean wouldn't some of the gilding be off the lily if Wallyworld sold 416 cartridges for the everyday low price of $7.81? High prices keep out the riff-raff.

High prices keep out the riff raff huh. That may be true, but a lot of people I know are not riff raff as you put it.
Want to talk about snob appeal, why dont you take a look in the mirror.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Want to talk about snob appeal, why dont you take a look in the mirror.

Cause I'm not the snob type. I'm the kinda folk who took the Rem Mag practical approach. And you don't see me bitching about the price of brass.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote