Find
Notify
Tools

300 Win Mag or 338 Win Mag?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Alan in NC
posted
Gentlemen: I have booked a Buff hunt in Zimbabwe for next July. If, for some reason , current events or the political situation in Zim deteriorates and I can't go, I have the option of going to South Africa for a plains game adventure. Gemsbok, Kudu, Springbok, Nyala, Blesbok, Hartebeest would be on my list. The area where I would be hunting could offer some long shots. Would I be better served by a 338 Win Mag/210gr. Nosler Partition set up, or a 300 Win Mag/180gr. Nosler Partition rig? Thanks in advance for your opinions. Alan.

------------------

Posts: 120 | Location: Winston-Salem, NC USA | Registered: 24 June 2001Reply With Quote
<Santa Claus>
posted
I simply prefer the 30's above everything else. You can load it up or down with bullet weights to do as you wish. A 338 will do anything you wish also, but it just never stuck on me..In killing potential I don't think there is that much difference unless you start shooting long range, then the 30's will shine.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Alan, the ballistic difference between these two rounds is negligible, at best. Personally, I like the larger frontal area and heavier weight bullets of the .338, which is what I used for everything on my Safari last year.
Either one will work just fine as long as you use good bullets and place them properly. Swift Aframes were my choice after many recommendations and they worked superbly. Have a great trip- Sheister

Posts: 385 | Location: Hillsboro, Oregon | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Save yourself some potential heartache. Take a .375 and Nosler partitions for the plainsgame and Swift for the buff.

[This message has been edited by Will (edited 12-19-2001).]

Posts: 19369 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Alan,
I'd move up to the 225gr. or 250gr. in the .338. Penetration is king on African game; kudu are big animals, and gemsbok are tough.
You want a bullet with high sectional density to penetrate to the vitals from any angle.

I'd be surprised if your shots on those species were longer than 200-250yds., even in the Free State or Eastern Cape.

The .300/180gr. is a good combination, with good power and range.

Take whichever gun you shoot best with. Confidence in your equipment is very important.

George

------------------
Shoot straight, shoot often, but by all means, use enough gun!

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have both a 300 H&H and a 338 Win.

Over the years I have gotten thr impression that the 338 just kills better as the range increases, but I like them both and they are perfect for South Africa.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
I've taken all sizes of plainsgame with the .300 Winchester, plus lion, leopard, and a couple of cape bufflo. In fact I took seventeen animals with the .300 Win. in Namibia this year with handloaded 180 gr. Nosler Partition Protected Points. Almost everything went down or the spot or else ran less that fifty yards and fell over, including eland. Actually, I've found the .300 Win. to work just about as well on most plainsgame animals as the .375 H&H does.

I'd be at least as happy with the .338 Winchester, and I'm seriously thinking of taking one to RSA for my next African hunt - just for the fun of it if nothing else, and probably with 250 gr. Nosler Partitions.

I doubt that you'd really see a whole lot of difference in killing power between the two cartridges. I never have, anyway! Take the one you feel like hunting with, and have at it. You can't go wrong either way.

AD

posted Hide Post
After shooting an obscene number of plains game species I still favor the 300mag. Like Santa Claus said, the 338 just never impressed or "stuck" on me, nor did the 375. If I can't kill ANY plains species quickly and efficiently with a 200gr Nosler @ 3000fps then my shooting is at fault, NOT the cartridge.

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Alan, while I have NO experience with African game, I have taken elk with the 210/338... it works, but I doubt it does any better (if as well) as the 300/180... as George said, the 225's and 250's are what the .338 Win Mag was made for. The only reason I stuck with 210 Partitions in my 338 is because that was the best shooting bullet in that particualr rifle.

Brad Amundson

One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post
Short of buff, ele, and rhino - a .338 will take anything that Africa can dish out. Due to minimum caliber requirements, the .338 is not considered adequate for buff, however, many folks (including Ray) would not hesitate to shoot a buff or ele with one. I would also suggest that you move up to the 250gr Nosler. You will find the 250gr offers better terminal ballistics and field performance. You may lose an inch in drop, however, you gain a whole lot of penetration.

You can buy high energy Federal Premium ammo with Nosler bullets or you can roll your own.

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Mike Dettorre>
posted
The coice is really easy...take the one you like best and feel you shoot the best.Heck, if the Buff trip cancels...

Take both...then you can trade off and decide for yourself on the next safari.

------------------
MED

The sole purpose of a rifle is to please its owner

one of us
Picture of Alan in NC
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all of your responses. Based on your replies, I really don't think I can go wrong with either set up. Fortunately, both rifles group very well and I'm comfortable with either one. I just hope Zimbabwe remains an option and I won't have to alter my trip. Alan.

------------------

Posts: 120 | Location: Winston-Salem, NC USA | Registered: 24 June 2001Reply With Quote
<Harry>
posted
I am taking a 338 but that is because I own it already and don't have a 300. I can't figure how you would go wrong with either. Flip the coin and go with what comes up! Have fun.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think that with today's bullets and new powders, both are closer than ever. I think that the 300 win mag is best for more open country and the 338 win mag with heavier bullets for bushveld.

One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
As others have said, take whatever one you shoot the best. Personally, I use a 338 win mag shooting 225 Gr. Nosler Partitions. This combo has never let me down on plains game ranging from Impala to Eland.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2331 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Labman:
As others have said, take whatever one you shoot the best. Personally, I use a 338 win mag shooting 225 Gr. Nosler Partitions. This combo has never let me down on plains game ranging from Impala to Eland.

You do realize that this thread is OVER 15 years old right?

One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
I'd go with the caliber/rifle that I shoot best. Personally, I've taken around 60 plains game animals including Wildebeests, Waterbuck & Gemsbuck with a .280 pushing 160 grain Speer Grand Slams or Nosler Accubonds with excellent results. As John S posted:

"If I can't kill ANY plains species quickly and efficiently with a 200gr Nosler @ 3000fps then my shooting is at fault, NOT the cartridge."

You have two great caliber's, apparently same on bullets, so it's up to your shot placement/accuracy. LDK

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6825 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeorgeS:
Alan,
I'd move up to the 225gr. or 250gr. in the .338. Penetration is king on African game; kudu are big animals, and gemsbok are tough.
You want a bullet with high sectional density to penetrate to the vitals from any angle.

I'd be surprised if your shots on those species were longer than 200-250yds., even in the Free State or Eastern Cape.

The .300/180gr. is a good combination, with good power and range.

Take whichever gun you shoot best with. Confidence in your equipment is very important.

George

------------------
Shoot straight, shoot often, but by all means, use enough gun!

This simply is not true. A 180 grain Partition will nearly always exit from a kudu. Kudus are easy to kill, too. The only reason gemsboks are considered tough is that the spine is located lower and there is a tendency to shoot over it. The only thing a .338 will add, IMHO, is more recoil.

Indy

Life is short. Hunt hard.

One of Us
Picture of Wesheltonj
posted Hide Post
I am hunting the kalahari is a couple of months, my outfitter recommend an 300 WM, as some of the shots will be at distance. Told him I own an 308 and 375, he said bring the 375, as the heavier bullet does not get turned easy by the brush. I would go with the 300 WM.

Posts: 773 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 13 April 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good advise take what ever you shoot best with. Other than 2 trips out of 14 where I took my 300 ultra I have used my 375 exclusively it is the minimum caliber for Buff in Zimbabwe. I have shot everything from Elephant to Impala with it. My thought is to take one gun and get good with it

Posts: 920 | Location: Chico California | Registered: 02 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surestrike:

Apparently not. Why would someone dredge up such an old thread?

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I suppose cause they are still interested in it. If I see a thread that is old when I open it, I move on, if I'm not interested.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2649 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Back in early 80’s I used 270 Win and the fantastic Frontier ammo in a superb 150 Rand’s Musgrave Mauser on all. I left my Africa in 1986 and ever since I’m reading that the game over there is harder and harder to kill; have to go back to see it for myself. However, the new 300 Norma Magnum (do not confuse with the old 308 Norma) is todays answer for the above dilemma > 230gr @ 2985 f/s
Links > http://www.blaser.de/index.php...5779&crlink=25760786
http://www.norma.cc/en/Ammunit...ta/300-norma-magnum/

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another time-travel thread...started in Dec of 2001, and fast-forwarded to May of 2016 !

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
quote:

Oops - but it's ok. I have been using a 338 in Africa for over 15 years. Wink

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2331 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
In case anybody is also curious, Alan made it to Zim, and used the .338.
quote:
I used a 338 Win Mag and 210 gr. Nosler Partitions on everything. I was very happy with my choice of caliber and load. Shooting distances varied from 60-270 yds. I was zeroed at 2 1/2" at 100 yds. and this seemed to work just fine.

rotflmo

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
.338 Win. Mag., with 225 gr. Trophy Bonded Bear Claws, then and now. Big Grin

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13675 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I think the funny thing about these necroposts is how very little has changed, or does change in regard to guns. It's basically rehashing the same old "controversy" over and over.

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
300 Grain Accubond or 300 Grain Woodleighs in the 338, and run it like a 9.3x64.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KMG Hunting Safaris
posted Hide Post
.300 Win Mag for me.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Cell, Whats App, Signal + 27 82 8205387
E-mail: info@huntsafaris.co.za
Check us out on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/kmghuntingsafaris
Instagram: @kmg_hunting_safaris

Posts: 1419 | Location: Eastern Cape | Registered: 27 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of postoak
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill C:
In case anybody is also curious, Alan made it to Zim, and used the .338.
quote:
I used a 338 Win Mag and 210 gr. Nosler Partitions on everything. I was very happy with my choice of caliber and load. Shooting distances varied from 60-270 yds. I was zeroed at 2 1/2" at 100 yds. and this seemed to work just fine.

rotflmo

Thanks, I was curious about that.

Posts: 441 | Location: The Woodlands, Texas | Registered: 25 November 2003Reply With Quote