New
Find
Notify
Tools

Private Charter Costs....
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Curious to know if anyone has choosen to charter a prop plane for their travels while in RSA or Zim?
If such a mode of travel was semi-cost efficient I may have to look into it further.
Lets say Im looking at Jnb to Kruger, roundtrip and Vic to Hwange RT.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have in the past.

Since about 2010, I have felt that the expense was way above the value. The prices were absurd then and have only gotten higher since.

It will save some time, but only you can judge the value of the cost to you.

Posts: 10602 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I charter to the camps in Zimbabwe. Compared to some other countries , I have thought it was quite reasonable.

Posts: 11959 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
I charter to the camps in Zimbabwe. Compared to some other countries , I have thought it was quite reasonable.

Would you be will be willing to give a broad range for the Zim charter cost? Thank you

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TNTBR:
quote:

Would you be will be willing to give a broad range for the Zim charter cost? Thank you

Obviously it varies based on the plane used and the distance flown. Single engine planes are less expensive than twins . I don’t fly in single engine planes after going down in one many years ago .

I want to say that it cost me $1500 each way to fly from Harare to Nyakasanga.

Posts: 11959 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very reasonable indeed Larry, thank you.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Charter prices in Tanz are pretty outrageous, but not any real viable options. I've tried the local airlines ground transit avenue -- exactly once. I've heard that charter prices elsewhere are much more reasonable.

Posts: 10009 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In August 2023 I chartered from Harare to Chirundu airstrip ( on the Zambezi River ) in Zimbabwe. I hunted in Nyakasanga.
Round trip cost was USD $ 3700.00
Originally it would have been cheaper as the plan was to share a ride with others but they changed their plans and I ended up flying solo both ways.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2018 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm used to $9500 one way, if I can't share.

Posts: 10009 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I flew my family (3 of us) from Harare to the BVC last year. It was approximately $6k round trip.

For Zim I would contact Giles Raynor. I can provide contact in a PM.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36553 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Joburg to the Kruger there are half a dozen good commercial flights a day into the 3 Kruger Airports. Charter is of course an option but at 1 hour flying time not really cost effective. My 2 cents.

Zim - different story as commented above.....

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2261 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did some charters in 2023 in Zim and they cost about $2500-$3000 each for 4 passengers.

Charters in Ethiopia are more....

Posts: 10153 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charlie64:

Joburg to the Kruger there are half a dozen good commercial flights a day into the 3 Kruger Airports. Charter is of course an option but at 1 hour flying time not really cost effective. My 2 cents.

Zim - different story as commented above.....

Jnb to Kruger was just a route to get an idea of flight time vs cost.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by TNTBR:
quote:

Obviously it varies based on the plane used and the distance flown. Single engine planes are less expensive than twins . I don’t fly in single engine planes after going down in one many years ago .

I want to say that it cost me $1500 each way to fly from Harare to Nyakasanga.

This reflects my experience as well. My son and I flew from Harare to Dande last October. It was $1,500 total, one way if I remember correctly.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
From what I understand, Tanzania rates are higher to begin with but the charters are generally longer as well. I'm generally going from Dar or Arusha to western Tanzania, usually in a Caravan which has the range, for a one way trip, but have had to stop for fuel in Dodoma when sharing a charter and I was the guy flying out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe we were quoted $2900 round trip Harare/Dande for early May of this year.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2745 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I would not take a charter if a domestic commercial flight to a proximate location were available.

If the choice is between a charter and an interminable drive, well then, one has a decision to make.

If one cannot drive, then one must bite the bullet and pay the piper for the charter.

Drives aren't all bad. They are sometimes fun, even if they are long and over tough roads.

A drive gives one a chance to see the countryside and the people.

On our last trip involving a charter, we chartered a plane for the trip to Dande East, but drove back to Harare.

The drive back was the highlight of the safari.

It was especially fun to see the way our PH, Keith Wall, a great guy, told a local cop basically where to shove it when the cop ordered us to stop at a roadblock and submit to a search. Big Grin

Don't get that kind of local flavor in an airplane.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13389 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
Although it’s 300 miles from the WDH airport to Kamanjab where Sebra Hunting Safaris is based, I prefer the 6 hour drive with my PH Jan du Plessis. We have a chance to relive our six previous safaris and talked about our lives in general. We always stop in Outjo for some delicious German Apple strudel and a second stop for some Wildebeest biltong while filling up with gase.. After 30+ hours on airplanes the drive is relaxing.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1382 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I, too, enjoy the drive thru strange country. We also drove back to Harare from Dande a trip or two ago, thoroughly enjoyed it, but was a bit long for a big guy in a small truck. We drove both ways to and from Mokore last year and it was very interesting. We are hunting Dande next month, in an earlier post I said I thought the charter quote was $2900, it was but now $3550.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2745 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Folks,

The drive if you're with good company is not bad. You get to see the country and how the people live. It can be a cultural experience. A charter to me is only necessary if the hunters cannot handle the long drive or it's just so long a trip that you can't do it in a day OR you have a time crunch and can afford the charter easily without it's cost infringing on your safari.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12866 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bud Meadows:
Although it’s 300 miles from the WDH airport to Kamanjab where Sebra Hunting Safaris is based, I prefer the 6 hour drive with my PH Jan du Plessis. We have a chance to relive our six previous safaris and talked about our lives in general. We always stop in Outjo for some delicious German Apple strudel and a second stop for some Wildebeest biltong while filling up with gase.. After 30+ hours on airplanes the drive is relaxing.

Fantastic apple strudel. I always stop there. I usually rent a car when I am in Namibia and really enjoy the drive.

The last time I was in a small plane in Zimbabwe, after the flight in, they loaded up a bunch of folks and when they started the plane it started back firing and it took a long time to get it running smoothly. After the safari I decided to take the ten hour drive out.

Three of the four ancient land rovers broke down on that trip but at least we did not fall out of the sky.

Posts: 1535 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've driven in as well and agree it can be a "cultural experience." On one trip from Arusha to Longido, we ran across some Chinese tourists who were hopelessly stuck. Now I've been stuck, but these guys took it to a new level. How they managed to accomplish it was a mystery. And how they planned on getting out was equally mysterious. They had no winch, no shovel, no jacks, etc. It took a while, but we dug, lifted and pulled them out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Done the local airline thing too. It wasn't great.