Find
Notify
Tools

What if you finish your hunt early?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
UEG:

My firm has requested that I take one of our sat phones when I go, but I won't. I hunted with an outfit in Tanzania last year that had wifi in camp. I neglected to mention that as I've always been totally unreachable and want it that way.

Like you, I explain to my clients that I'm going to be out of pocket. I brief my partners on my cases and they cover for me if necessary. I do the same for them.

It would be miserable to have to respond to e-mails and texts every night after hunting. I'd be up until 2 or 3 every morning.

Posts: 10319 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only time I left early was in Argentina when the PH was an ass; he said "What are you doing here if you aren't going to take any more animals?".

It left me with a bad taste in my mouth.

For most of my long distance trips the cost to change flights would be a real waste of money. In the case of the Argentina mess, we went into the city and enjoyed a good tango show.

Posts: 352 | Location: Washington State, USA | Registered: 29 July 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any PH with that attitude ought to be publicly named and shamed. Moreover, as I said earlier, a hunter should be entitled to a refund of all unused days plus the cost of airfare for changing flights. If everyone started demanding that, attitudes would quickly change. Tipping propensities at that moment should also be greatly influenced by those comments.

One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
Any PH with that attitude ought to be publicly named and shamed. Moreover, as I said earlier, a hunter should be entitled to a refund of all unused days plus the cost of airfare for changing flights. If everyone started demanding that, attitudes would quickly change. Tipping propensities at that moment should also be greatly influenced by those comments.

Your words have never been more correct. Many folks who read "The Client" shrugged me off as someone with a bitter grapes attitude.

If traveling sportsman allow themselves or their families to be treated as described, I would wonder about their intelligence.

Also, as you point out, if tips became commensurate with treatment as well as hunting results, things may change. However, I am also a strong believer in the free enterprise system. If I seek a different service provider, I have participated in that system as designed.

If an outfitter decided he doesn't want my business because I refuse to be treated as a schlub, fine there are an entire continent of people willing to take my money.

Captains of industry, business owners and other highly educated professionals didn't achieve their levels of success by not being leaders.

If I could change one single thing about this industry, this would be it.

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3529 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:

Ouch and I very much doubt that Steve would do that.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9954 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
last year in Zimbabwe I shot my sable and reed buck on the sixth day of a 10 day hunt spent the balance of the time collected a giant kudu and zebra and shot some camp meat for the local school . This year in Burkina Faso shot out on the forth day of a 10 day hunt spent the time hunting other game and visited the nearby Arly park . Viewing elephant and crocodiles was exciting . There is always good options for the lucky hunter.

Posts: 920 | Location: Chico California | Registered: 02 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
a hunter should be entitled to a refund of all unused days plus the cost of airfare for changing flights.

What if you booked on a cruise liner then got off at the first port of call - would you be demanding a refund for the remainder of the cruise, or would you pay half price for a half-eaten steak in a restaurant?

Just asking coffee

Most outfitters will have subsidized the hunt for its duration and demanding (entitlement)for a refund will unlikely be entertained (and rightly so).
If your hunt has ended early and successfully you would be entitled to sit in camp until the last hour but not necessarily give you the right to an activity beyond what you paid for; any extra activity (fishing, game viewing/photography) would (IMO) be at the discretion of the outfitter.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fujotupu:

Most outfitters will have subsidized the hunt for its duration and demanding (entitlement)for a refund will unlikely be entertained (and rightly so).
If your hunt has ended early and successfully you would be entitled to sit in camp until the last hour but not necessarily give you the right to an activity beyond what you paid for; any extra activity (fishing, game viewing/photography) would (IMO) be at the discretion of the outfitter.

So as an outfitter, you want your cake and to eat it too it seems! As you stated, you've subsidized the hunt for its full duration, which means activity each day ... for the duration. So if a hunter takes his animals early, now the continued activity ceases and he's expected to just sit in camp instead of going out and doing a bit of game viewing, etc.? Don't think I'd hunt with outfitters of that mind set. Added expense for certain activities like fishing? Yeah, I can understand that. Especially if we are now talking about moving to another camp along the river and using their boat, things that were not part of the original contract, but just sitting in camp when the trigger is pulled, and ceasing to go out exploring the area you've already contracted and paid a certain number of days worth of activity for, not so much.

I would never leave early from an African safari unless there was an emergency I was required to attend to. The first thing I do when I get to camp is take my watch off and pack it away. The second thing I do is ask my PH not to mention what day of my safari we are on but to give me 2 days heads up before departure. I then try my best to forget the day and stop counting the sunsets. I've had varying success at this game. Cat hunting seems to wreck that entire plan as they are usually stressful in terms of getting the quarry to cooperate in a timely manner. Elephant and buffalo? Pretty easy to allow those days to all melt into one another.

Funny, but despite my best efforts to forget about time on safari, I'll inevitably realize how many days have passed. I remember hunting lion with CMS in 2012. Booked for 18 days. I remember walking to my room after dinner and time around the campfire and suddenly realizing the second day had now been completed. I was almost panic stricken that I only had 16 more days to go before being REQUIRED to leave Africa.

First and foremost, I go for the experience of being in Africa and living in the moment.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I finished a hunt early in Cameroon once. So we filled in the rest of the time looking for the world record warthog. that area had some huge pigs and we looked for the monster. Never found him but we had fun looking at a lot of hogs, saw some lions, tracked a few giraffe for fun etc... You can relax and just kick around the bush, rifle in hand, when you taken your game or you can sit at camp and drink. I'll wander around.

Posts: 1351 | Location: CO born, but in Athens, TX now. | Registered: 03 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would normally find ways to kill time and hang around in Africa as long as nothing work related has happened.

I am not compensated on time worked for labor income so I have very low opportunity cost.

First safari in save - was hunting and chasing kudu till the end. Never got a kudu.

Second safari in save - was hunting kudu again and then went and helped the appie gets some elephants back into the conservancy. Never got my kudu.

Kanana - Jason Bridger told me to take his crossbow and go cull wildebeests and gemsbok - so I went and killed 10-15 of them.

Burkina - went to town to see local market (town was very unfriendly) and met the local poacher (selling animals parts mainly for rituals). Spent time in national forest - met some interesting people. Came back viewed game and took pictures in hunting conservancy.

Alaska - ran desperately along the runway with biebs trying to get the next flight.

The tempo of most hunts changes after the main animals is successful hunted - buff or cats or elephant. But any outfitter who expects the client to sit in camp or go home is a fraud. The whole hunt was paid for and the client should have full access to his ph, trackers and vehicle if he wants to view game or drive around.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
a hunter should be entitled to a refund of all unused days plus the cost of airfare for changing flights.

What if you booked on a cruise liner then got off at the first port of call - would you be demanding a refund for the remainder of the cruise, or would you pay half price for a half-eaten steak in a restaurant?

Just asking coffee

If the cruise company told me the cruise was done, yes I would expect a refund, and in fact, when a cruise ship has problems they do pay to fly the patrons back, and usually give you a voucher for another cruise...

Similarly, you pay for the meal when you leave. If the restaurant makes you leave before you finish eating, you don't pay.

While I don't believe that the company should run extra expenses (if I have to buy a fishing license, I can pay for that) if you finish early, if they tell you to leave, they should be liable for unused days and any costs incurred to change your plans.

A lack of tip would be just the start IMO.

Posts: 10989 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:
quote:
quote:

Just asking coffee

If the cruise company told me the cruise was done, yes I would expect a refund, and in fact, when a cruise ship has problems they do pay to fly the patrons back, and usually give you a voucher for another cruise...

Similarly, you pay for the meal when you leave. If the restaurant makes you leave before you finish eating, you don't pay.

While I don't believe that the company should run extra expenses (if I have to buy a fishing license, I can pay for that) if you finish early, if they tell you to leave, they should be liable for unused days and any costs incurred to change your plans.

A lack of tip would be just the start IMO.

Mr. Butler if we by chance hunt together please remind me to add a day or two at my cost.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9954 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
This discussion has taken an interesting and disturbing tone. While I don't agree that a refund would be due unless the outfitter/safari operator requested I leave early (in which case he sure as hell would get no tip), I also think that the mindset of Fujotopu is way off base. If you booked 15 or however many days and finish early, you should be entitled to continue that activity without any more shooting until the contracted number of days ends. The expectation that you'd just sit in camp is as screwed up as the other extreme.

If you want to add other activities that weren't contacted, then pay for them. If licenses are filled in 5 days and you want to spend the remainder game viewing, you should be able to.

The more I read these type threads, the more I realize there are some AR members whom I'd love to share a campfire with...

And others whom I couldn't be paid to share one with.

Posts: 3901 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DLS:
This discussion has taken an interesting and disturbing tone. While I don't agree that a refund would be due unless the outfitter/safari operator requested I leave early (in which case he sure as hell would get no tip), I also think that the mindset of Fujotopu is way off base. If you booked 15 or however many days and finish early, you should be entitled to continue that activity without any more shooting until the contracted number of days ends. The expectation that you'd just sit in camp is as screwed up as the other extreme.

If you want to add other activities that weren't contacted, then pay for them. If licenses are filled in 5 days and you want to spend the remainder game viewing, you should be able to.

The more I read these type threads, the more I realize there are some AR members whom I'd love to share a campfire with...

And others whom I couldn't be paid to share one with.

I agree with you. I have undertaken other activities such as fishing and bird shooting after I have finished big game hunting. I have been happy to pay for those. No problem. I often leave early if I have been successful. This often requires another charter which I am happy to pay. However, to ask me to leave early when I have paid for other days is not acceptable except under odd circumstances such as a family medical emergency.

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
any extra activity (fishing, game viewing/photography) would (IMO) be at the discretion of the outfitter.

For all intent and purpose the "extra" activity refers to visits to Game Parks and/or fishing as in Charter Fishing, not the game viewing or fishing the waterholes or maybe a river in the hunting concession which has been paid for. Boy, Oh Boy, how some folks like twisting words!

It would be at the discretion of the outfitter if he were to accompany the client to any of these venues and the costs of the above can hardly be expected to be covered by the X remaining days.

I have never had any client of mine lounging in camp due to the hunt ending early as we have always found something to do to kill the days.
At the same time I have also had lazy clients who would tell me tomorrow (hunting day) would be a rest day because they wanted to wake late and just chill in camp sipping Gin & Bitters, as well as those who would request to fly out the day after their hunt was done, irrespective of days remaining; never, ever heard anyone murmur anything about a refund for the days outstanding.

I almost forgot the religious types - absolutely zilch activities on Saturday for some and Sunday for others - refundable? coffee

If your kill list is done and dusted how the hell can you expect to be refunded for the remaining days if you choose to leave?

Chris, I specifically said: "...then got off at the first port of call" - nowhere did I say you you were short-landed or the cruise was cut short by several ports.

Same applies to the meal - if you ate half of it would you expect to pay half or full price?

The part about not paying because of being ejected is your contribution to the argument and even that is debatable: if you have eaten, drank (maybe too much) and caused a disturbance in most any restaurant, you would pay AND be ejected. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the info gents. Good to know if the hunt ends early I can always hunt plans games or track animals with the PH. On average how long does it take for two hunters to take two hippos and two cape buffalos?

Posts: 521 | Registered: 30 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I was operating my outfitting business, guiding buffalo hunters in wilderness Arnhemland, Australia, I would be bitterly disappointed whenever a hunter mentioned leaving a hunt early, after taking their bull.

I totally understood there were those with businesses that would benefit from their presence but whenever this topic came up I would try my best to encourage my hunter to stay the full duration.

The enjoyment gained from "free days" (days without the pressure of having to find that trophy) to relax, explore beaches, fish, photograph unique birds, burn grass and just generally talk shit and truly get to know someone was, to me, invaluable and I have many lifelong friends as a result.

Personally, the thought of being requested, by the outfit, to leave camp after taking the target animal, abhorrent, business orientated and borderline dishonest.

A good friend of mine was donkey-ridden up to a high ridge, early on the first day of his hunt in Turkey, one morning and instructed to shoot a good ibex as it ran past his point. He was then duly taken back to camp and told to pack-up "your hunt is over, you have taken your animal" and unceremoniously dumped in the capital city for the duration of his stay, at his additional expense.
I'm told this is common practice in Europe.

In my view this standard of operating a personal service orientated business is bullshit, gain orientated greed, but it does happen.

The great thing about the level of communications available to hunters in this modern age is to ask these questions BEFORE the hunt and make your selections of operators based on what standard of service suits you best.

Posts: 531 | Location: Australia | Registered: 30 June 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a substantial difference between being told you are done and you HAVE to leave and you choosing to go.

Again, if I was told that my hunt was done because I had shot my primary animal, I would expect that whoever was telling me to get my rump out of camp would be paying for flight change fees, any hotel costs incurred, and reimbursement of the unfulfilled daily rates.

Of course if I had said I am leaving a week early of my own accord, then I would expect nothing from the operator...he was willing to do what I had paid him for, that is on me.

BTW, in the situations I have been involved with, when we gave someone the heave-ho out of a restaurant, they did not pay...we were glad just to see them leave.

Mr. Baldry, we will need to make a plan someday.

Posts: 10989 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
The concept is the same in Texas, they want you in and out within the minimum amount of time it takes it kill it.

Every outfitter I have called in Texas tells me the same story. I have never had one person tell me my hunt was not over, and I could just relax and take photos, hunt coyotes or go fishing.

So far I have not booked anything in Texas because of this.

If anyone knows of an outfitter who has exotics, and a decent place who isn't running a McDonalds counter let me know.

The hunt is the hunt, not the trophy.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think their is some "lost in translation" going on.

Reading the whole thread, no one is looking for a refund unless they are basically being kicked out of camp since they are "done" shooting. Many of us would view this as a breach of contract since we have paid for the services of the PH, vehicle, trackers, etc for X number of days.

If the client chooses to leave of their own accord after a successful hunt, no one is saying they should get a refund. Only that if it is day X-Y of an X day hunt, we have paid to continue our safari even if the main prize is in the bag.

I know PH's don't get a lot of family time, but they need to realize not every client has 23 trips under their belt. I am leaving in two weeks for my second, and there was 5 years in between. I am not leaving early barring emergency.

DSC
SCI Life
NRA Life
WSF Life <1 Club

Posts: 177 | Location: Bitterroot Valley, MT | Registered: 02 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My two cents worth.

On my first hunt (buff in RSA), I shot my buff on the last day of the hunt, and the PH took me to his house and entertained my for an extra 2 days at no cost to me. He introduced me to his family and friends and I stayed in a room at his house.

His wife was most gracious and cooked a really nice meal almost every night. I did tip his housekeeper $5.00 for doing my laundry, but other than that, I was treated like a close friend.

On my second hunt, a 14 day ellie hunt, I killed my bull (60 lbs a side) on the 4th day of the hunt. I then took an add-on buff the next day.

The PH was really concerned about the safety of his family (he had been having trouble with locals to the point where he had to use grenades to booby-trap some areas of his property). I understood completely, and we returned to Bulawayo where he left me at a house that belonged to the safari outfitter (the guy's daughter lived there). I had an assistant PH there with me, and for 3 days and nights I enjoyed the night life of Bulawayo (such as it is). I got to visit a lion refuge facility outside of town. The highlights of that trip was wrestling with two 40 lb lion cubs, and petting a half-grown leopard (the curator told me to never turn my back on the leopard!).

I also got the chance to pet a full-grown black rhino and calf (with a fence between us of course). The last night I rode out with a local wildlife ranger who was about to release a lioness back into the wild. Pretty neat stuff IMO.

We then returned early to RSA, where I spent another couple of days. There I went out to the local rifle range and shot rifles with the assistant PH's father (a really neat Afrikaans gentleman with some amazing stories of the bush war in Rhodesia, where he was a Colonel at the time).

I did leave a couple of days early, but gained some really neat insight into the lives of the Afrikaans and English people who live in Zimbabwe and RSA.

My next trip I will probably spend any extra days game viewing or hunting an add-on.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like at cool time. Where did you pet a black rhino?

Posts: 521 | Registered: 30 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't really have a dog in the fight. But you all have given me some mandatory questions for any hunts I take in the future where this might be a problem. . .

I don't know much about Africa, but I can't foresee this being too much of a problem in a lot of AFrica, if there are additional animals available on quota, and if it is planned in advance. . . Any area transfer would be paid for, of course. . .

I can see it being a big issue on mountain type hunts where you are after 1 animal. I'm still trying to figure out how to hunt an ibex in Turkey, and tour Istanbul with my wife, while not having her spend a miserable week in a hut on a mountain while I chase ibex Smiler Killing early might be a bonus there Smiler

As I'm young and not possessed of a lot of discretionary income, most of my traveling hunting right now is do-it-yourself hunts in the western US where I drive myself. Unless my partner hasn't killed yet, I leave when the animal I have a tag for hits the ground. I love to hunt, not such a big fan of camping, unless I can kill an animal while doing it Smiler

And I'm self-employed with a young child. So leaving early always makes sense on those hunts

If I've taken the time off to hunt somewhere far away though, and have complicated flights planned and paid for, I can't really see leaving early short of an emergency. Especially if there's other animals, or fishing, or something else to do

Bake

Posts: 113 | Location: Hills of SW MO | Registered: 04 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Times have changed I guess. I had a very experienced PH tell me once he was always bothered by the hunters who showed up to hunt with a laundry list of animals, then upon shooting them all packed up the left camp without ever having considered the other things (scenery, fishing, birds, culture) Africa had to offer.

I have a hard time agreeing with the idea that a traveling hunt is over when the last animal falls. Seems if the dead animal is all you went for, you went for the wrong reason. Feel free to pillory.

One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dutch44:
Hunt more animals. Usually there is other game on quota. I would never leave Africa early. Love it too much.

Ditto! Always more to hunt and see and do.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I finished a PG hunt in Zim after 6 days of a 10 day hunt and baboons were giving the PH's fancy goats a belting.

So we belted baboons Big Grin

Shot about 40 in 4 days....they were getting very toey by the 4th day.....

Posts: 15784 | Location: Australia and Saint Germain en Laye | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ManuelM
posted Hide Post
It depends a lot in the clients point of view, many fellow outfitters are happier the sooner they can get a client a mule or coues buck down as many of them leave earlier,
this happened to me recently, my client shot a coues buck the second day, we still had 4 or even 5 a days to hunt and my client was quite happy with the hunt and willing to leave earlier, i managed to get another landowner to sell me a mule deer tag if we shot a buck, and we tried two days without luck, i was only going to charge my client the price of the tag with no additional charge, i mostly did this because i felt that my client had paid for all this extra hunting days and felt bad for him not to stay and use them. Any outfitter will obviously feel good of getting pressure off the hunt early on, but i feel that there are always things to do and an outfitter should let the client know or make a plan to make the extra days worth the clients time.

Manuel Maldonado
MM Sonoran Desert Hunters
https://www.facebook.com/huntingMM

Posts: 531 | Location: Hermosillo, Sonora | Registered: 06 May 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I didn't have that same experience on my desert mule deer hunt in Sonora. Finally shot an ok, but not great desert mule deer with some fill-in guides who got lost, couldn't spot deer to save themselves (my original guide had gone to Hermosillo to allegedly get some permits for other hunters and never returned), and the minute that I had a deer down on the ground( which I had spotted), the fill-ins took me back to the ranch house, had me pack up and wanted me to leave. They took me to Magdalena where I spent the night alone and then someone came and picked me up and transported me to Hermosillo and dropped me off at the airport. Never saw my original guide before I left, as he was still playing in Hermosillo. I was never offered a coues deer with the remaining days, or a partial refund for the f---ed-up hunt. Total bullshit hunt, and expensive at that. I was offered 3 extra days if I booked with them for a full hunt for the full price again the next year. Told them to stick it where it didn't shine.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Everyone's life is different. Their experiences are different. Their goals are different. The demands on their time are different.

If someone wants to stay, great. If they want to leave, great. However, you should get what you paid for. Telling the client to leave early is a problem.

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Bagged out 4 days early on a 7 day Zambia Buffalo hunt. For entertainment purposes the outfitter offered to have Joyce shoot some doves and guinea fowl with his .22. I think he figured it would be a good way to burn up some time, entertain the clients, and likely waste some .22 ammo.

After the bacon wrapped Dove breasts and a new understanding of stalking guinea fowl and shooting off sticks a bit a of a fire kindled in Joyce.

Five years later she calmly shot her own Leopard at 17 yards in Mozambique with Derek.

Thank you Johnny du Plooy for "wasting" some .22 ammo. Big Grin

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
In North America and Asia it seems that if you finish up early they typically want you gone but in other parts of the world they seem happy to have you hang around.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jan Dumon
posted Hide Post
No outfitter should ask a paying hunter to leave once he's bagged out. This is unacceptable. Offer him other critters on quota , vermin hunting , sight seeing around the area , or shooting some camp meat. Tim Carney set a record of sorts this year and bagged out one and a half hours into day one after finding a fantastic old Dagga Boy and deciding not to pass up on that chance to take the old Bull up close with his English double. Turned out to be a good decision , but then again when you put 2 Irishmen together ( Him and O'Reilly ) you don't expect things to run same o same o.... Wink

Jan Dumon
Professional Hunter& Outfitter
www.shumbasafaris.com

+27 82 4577908

Posts: 774 | Location: Greater Kruger - South Africa | Registered: 10 August 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The one time I wish I'd shot out early was in the Selous, but I passed a couple of shootable buffalo hoping to get something bigger than my first. It didn't happen, but I really would have liked to see the hot springs, maji moto. We saw the mist rising from them every morning leaving camp. And, Selous' grave, which was not far.

Posts: 10319 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
The one time I wish I'd shot out early was in the Selous, but I passed a couple of shootable buffalo hoping to get something bigger than my first. It didn't happen, but I really would have liked to see the hot springs, maji moto. We saw the mist rising from them every morning leaving camp. And, Selous' grave, which was not far.

The Maji Moto spring (sulphur)in RU1 is just a stone's throw from the airstrip and fkn moto it is! Parachichi is getting lazy in his old age. Big Grin

The other hot springs and Selous'grave are indeed not too far away in the nearby photographic block.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
fujotupu"

That was back in '08 and I was hunting with another PH.

One of Us
Picture of ManuelM
posted Hide Post
quote:
I didn't have that same experience on my desert mule deer hunt in Sonora. Finally shot an ok, but not great desert mule deer with some fill-in guides who got lost, couldn't spot deer to save themselves (my original guide had gone to Hermosillo to allegedly get some permits for other hunters and never returned), and the minute that I had a deer down on the ground( which I had spotted), the fill-ins took me back to the ranch house, had me pack up and wanted me to leave. They took me to Magdalena where I spent the night alone and then someone came and picked me up and transported me to Hermosillo and dropped me off at the airport. Never saw my original guide before I left, as he was still playing in Hermosillo. I was never offered a coues deer with the remaining days, or a partial refund for the f---ed-up hunt. Total bullshit hunt, and expensive at that. I was offered 3 extra days if I booked with them for a full hunt for the full price again the next year. Told them to stick it where it didn't shine.

Sir that is completely unacceptable, glad that you responded them that way. I am a small outfitter and I am here to tell you there is ALWAYS things to do regarding hunting here in Sonora, some people sadly don't want to pay for the extra fuel or stupid small expenses like that that could change the impression the client has from the outfit or the people here in Sonora which is a shame. Competent client treatment is in my opinion almost EVERYTHING in the outfitting business and the fact I have had repeat business despite my small operation makes me a believer of this, and in my opinion wanting someone to leave just because he tagged out momentarily is NOT nice treatment and i would hate to be treated that way on a hunt I paid good money for.

Manuel Maldonado
MM Sonoran Desert Hunters
https://www.facebook.com/huntingMM

Posts: 531 | Location: Hermosillo, Sonora | Registered: 06 May 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steel:
Sounds like at cool time. Where did you pet a black rhino?

The black rhino and calf were at the lion refuge, just outside of Bulawayo. I think it was called Princess Diana Refuge or something like that.

It was a pretty neat place with some really large lions and other animals like black mambas, Cape Hunting dog pups (you couldn't have paid me to try and pet one of them. They looked at you like you were food), and other assorted wildlife.

BH63

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The interesting thing about hunts, is that people have long memories.

I was told this story by a PH, on one of my hunts. A client had booked a 14-day elephant hunt. A couple of days in, he (the client) screwed up and shot a sub-standard elephant (not the one the PH pointed out). The client was crestfallen, and asked about hunting another elephant. The owner of the safari firm, stated that if the guy wanted to hunt another elephant, he had to pay, not only another trophy fee for the second elephant, but also the daily rate for another 14-day hunt.

Personally, I thought someone having to pay another 14-day daily rate, when they still had 12 days left (and already paid for) for the second elephant was a little too greedy IMO.

Remembering that story was one of the main reasons I did not book my upcoming, September buffalo hunt with that outfitter (the other reason being that the PH I had hunted with before (one hell of a guy) was no longer working for that outfitter).

BH63

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had an outfitter that I had been a regular with in Zimbabwe refuse to allow me to shoot a second buffalo because he could not only get the full trophy fee for it, but could also collect the dangerous game daily rate again with someone else. It was obvious from our discussion why he wouldn't let me shoot a second one. (And a second one was available because an earlier client had not taken his buffalo)That was literally the last time I booked with him, and my tip further reflected his position.