New
Find
Notify
Tools

shooting sticks
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
In preparation for next years hunt in Zim I am wanting to build a set of shooting sticks (tripod) for practise. I'd appreciate any plans from others here on AR. Thanks.

Bill

Posts: 94 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 23 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post

I'm very proud of these shooting sticks I made myself for probably less than $0.50. Notice the fine craftsmanship. It's similar to what your African tracker would make you.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good alternative is to buy a set of bog pods, make sure that you get the 3 legged version that is long enough

Posts: 70 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 18 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Look at the past posts on this very issue. There are pictures and instructions.

One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grumulkin:

I'm very proud of these shooting sticks I made myself for probably less than $0.50. Notice the fine craftsmanship. It's similar to what your African tracker would make you.

A small matter that has caught my interest. Is the bent stick to allow for the leading leg to be outside. A smart and cosiderate design. tu2

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Grmulkin should market those at SCI & DSC every year.
Claim they are Masai sticks.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Go to Lowes or Home depot or a local garden outlet. Buy three 6 foot length of Bamboo of the same relative diameter.

Buy a vacuum cleaner belt (like a big rubber band).

Bind the three bamboo poles together about three inches down from the top by twisting the vacuum band around them.

Slide one of the poles down so it's top is at the junction. Then hack saw off the extra length at the bottom so all three poles are equal at the base.

Put rubber "feet" on the ground ends of the poles and padded electrical tape on the "V' formed by the two pole ends at the top.

Total cost even here in Alaska to me was less than $20.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
I know this is going to be an unpopular post but I just don't like the 3 leg version. No matter how I set them up, as soon as I put any weight on them, one leg goes flying out.

Also, from a proper height standpoint, the 3 leg version is much more critical on how it is set up. With the 2 leg version, if it is a bit high, you can just lean into or back and the "V" will self adjust.

Last item, setting up the 3 leg version on uneven ground is more critical. Facing downhill on a cross hill at the same time ... just give me the two leg version.

OK ... flame away as I said, I know this will be an unpopular position to take!

Cheers

One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
I know this is going to be an unpopular post but I just don't like the 3 leg version. No matter how I set them up, as soon as I put any weight on them, one leg goes flying out.

Also, from a proper height standpoint, the 3 leg version is much more critical on how it is set up. With the 2 leg version, if it is a bit high, you can just lean into or back and the "V" will self adjust.

Last item, setting up the 3 leg version on uneven ground is more critical. Facing downhill on a cross hill at the same time ... just give the the two leg version.

I also much prefer the two legged version. In addition to what you say, there is another reason I prefer them. In the tripod version, where the gun rests is full anchored which some would think was good. No one is going to hold a gun perfectly still so with it anchored in one place the barrel will probably move from side to side. In the 2 legged version, the movement is going to at least in part (probably mostly) be to the front and rear rather than side to side which will be more conducive to accuracy.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Todd,

No flame. I've used both and I think the tripod sticks are steadier but the bipod is quicker to use particularly in heavy cover. I'm taking the Bog Pod tripod this year that I like very much.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13023 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can use either, but prefer 2 legged sticks on safari for the same reasons listed above.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
To save all of you AR researchers some time, here you go. I have made them in both tripod and bipod models. You're only seeing the tripod model in these pics. Sticks were dowls purchased from Home Depot, using a round vacuum belt (band) purchased from Walmart and cut rubber bicycle inner tube also purchsed from Walmart. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks all for your input. I had contacted my outfitter and was told that they use tripods so a tripod it is. I had been going over some videos and could never seem to get a clear picture of construction. It looked a lot more complicated than it apparently is.
UEG, thanks for the series of photos, should make this fairly easy.
I'm off to Home Depot and Walmart.

Bill

Posts: 94 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 23 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I also like just the 2 legged versions for the exact reason Todd stated.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Todd,

No flame. I've used both and I think the tripod sticks are steadier but the bipod is quicker to use particularly in heavy cover. I'm taking the Bog Pod tripod this year that I like very much.

Mark

The Bog Pod is a good product. I've got the 2 leg version. The telescoping legs are a nice feature and they are pretty sturdy. Velcro then together and it makes a good walking stick.

One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
I built these myself. I have a link to the build let me know if you would like it?

Posts: 2694 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
3-legged shooting sticks are more stable,but they are very hard to set up on uneven or rocky ground. Hence my preference for 2-legged sticks.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68779 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwana cecil:
Grmulkin should market those at SCI & DSC every year.
Claim they are Masai sticks.

He would have to donate some for the auction as well in order to get a good booth location.

Posts: 10372 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will be posting the report of my last hunt within the next week and it will feature an unusual shooting stick design that we now think is the ultimate. I dont have time now to download pictures etc because just leaving to go fishing. Look out for the post.

Posts: 559 | Location: UK | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thunder Head
posted Hide Post
I use 3 pcs of bamboo and one of those cheap black rubber tie down straps. I took one of the hooks off. Rap the strap around 2-3 times and hook into the open hole. I would also make them longer than 6 feet. Mine are to short at that length causing one leg to pop out sometimes.

I have walked in the foot prints of the elephant, listened to lion roar and met the buffalo on his turf. I shall never be the same.

Posts: 813 | Location: In the shadow of Currahee | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I went to Home Depot and bought three round dowels, the kind that you use as rods in a clothes closet. They had long stock an let me cut the length I wanted. They are about 1.5" in diameter. These are too big/heavy to be carrying across the plains, but they serve the purpose of a good practice tool.
I took these and laid them all together and tightly wrapped/tied a bunge cord around them about a foot from one end.
They open up to form a nice tripod. Been shooting my 375 over them for a month.
Headed to Zimbabwe in 13 days.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2649 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
Go to the garden dept of Home Depot, Walmart or Ace and find the GREEN plant stakes. I bought 3 medium diameter six footers for $2 each. They have a TOUGH plastic type coating over an aluminum shaft. Very tough, easy to cut and indestructible. Then make it just like those pictured in the above posts. Good Luck!

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote