Find
Notify
Tools

Rifle for Lion
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted
I'm still dreaming about lion hunting and was curious as to what everyone recommends as the all-around lion caliber? I don't know if I'll get the chance to hunt lions, but you never know what the future has in store. Anyone who has been on lion hunt, I would very much enjoy to see pictures and hear about the hunt. Thanks for your input.

Sevens

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JefferyDenmark
posted Hide Post
I have never hunted lion.
But 375 H&H and up shot placemant is more important i would think.

Cheers,

Andr�

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In all likelihood you will hunt lion over bait on a 3 week safari.

You will probably be baiting lion with 2 buffalo, an eland, a zebra, a wildebeest, and a kudu.

It is likely that you would shoot all of the above with the same rifle. So your lion gun will also be a buffalo gun,.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSEK
posted Hide Post
Noticing your Teddy Roosevelt quote, he liked the 405 Winchester.

Posts: 308 | Location: In transit | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Richard,

Glad you noticed. I believe he sent the rifles back to winchester because the sights were no good. I don't think winchester ever learned how to get the sights right. If they won't listen to the President, then they won't listen to us. I think I'll stick with the bolt action rifles though.

Sevens

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We were "up close & personal" with more than a few buffalo and I never felt under-gunned with my 375 but when we bumped some lions that were on a hyaena bait and they came to look us over I felt like I was carrying a peashooter.

It may just be the mystique of lion hunting but if I ever book a lion hunt I will be carrying the biggest thing I can handle.....

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Big cats have no sense of humour. From what I've read a .375 soft point bullet is good medicine. Just remember that a .375 is not a .30-06. You must be able to shoot it accurately. This forum, although not necessarily this part of it is likely the best one on the net for learning about African hunting. Read some more. There are real PH's here. Not just guys like me who have only read about it.

Posts: 113 | Location: London, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 18 November 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
This might help,

African Hunter Magazine

Regards,

Terry

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This June in Zim I would love to sneak up to 20 or 30 yards on a Lion and shoot him with my 450 No2. However the PH stated he really liked the client to have a scope on his Lion rifle, and most likely the Lion would be taken over bait. If that is the case, I will use my 9,3x74R double with a 286 Woodleigh Soft in the right bbl and a 286 Nosler Partition in the left.
I talked to several Ph's in the company I am using [HHK] and many others with different companies at the last 2 Dallas Safari Shows. Most all stated they prefered a scoped rifle for a clients Lion gun. All stated they thought the 9,3 was a good lion gun, many added that it was a little light for Buff but would work with good hits.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have shot 5 lions, 2 with a 416 Rigby Improved, and 3 with a 375/404.

I finally settled on the 375/404 for all my dangerous game hunts, which of course includes lions.

Posts: 67005 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot 6 with a 375 H&H useing 300 gr "X" bullets. I think that thats the best way to go. I wouldnt feel comfortable useing anything less and I dont feel given the size/speed of the big cat that a larger caliber would make any difference at all.

The sense of relief of hitting a lion properly is the biggest relief in the world, even more so than elephant. The walk into the blind in the dark is a rush, a whole nother story. I hope all hunters can experience this in their lives. It is without equal. The gun used it the least important part of lion hunting as long as its a 375 or better and shoots well.

All the practice at the range and other game over the years comes down to that one shot- killing the big cat cleanly. following up a wounded lion is the worst possible thing. Its like a quarterback on 4th down in the Superbowl you miss you loose and all the practice was wasted, you win and it all was for good reason. No other game will give you that satifaction. Elephant's do come close. But with elephant its more like 3rd down with one more chance. There arnt many second chances with lions.

Forget the gun, practice and shoot good on game day thats what matters. Best of luck.

Posts: 1407 | Location: Beverly Hills Ca 90210<---finally :) | Registered: 04 November 2001Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
I killed one lion stone-dead with a .300 Win. Mag. I have friends who've killed them with a .270 Win., .300 Weatherby, .338 Win. Mag., .375 H&H, and .458 Win. Mag.

I'll likely take my next lion with a .416 Remington, but it's generally considered that the .375 H&H is the classic lion cartridge.

AD

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
I've never taken lion, but I did see my uncle take one in the late 60s with ready? a 270 Win using the old fashioned Silvertips! There's no way I would ever attempt that nor would I recommend it, but after reading many books on the subject and years shamelessly watching lots of hunting videos, including Mark Sullivan's, lion and cats in general seem to "curl up" a lot quicker when shot with high velocity cartridges. The most impressive ones ( the lions looked like they were elctrifed) were with a 30-378 and a 416 Weatherby. Having said all of that, I think I would choose my 416 Rigby loaded to 2400 fps and a good Nosler Partiton. jorge

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
I was thinking something along the lines of the 375 of 416 rem mag. (I'll find out what I can handle in a few weeks.) For the successful hunters, what area did you go? The info being provided is very helpful. Thanks.

Sevens

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know a fellow who shot a lion on bait with a 9.3 x 62. First shot was in the lungs just as it should be. The lion jumped and flip flopped all around and he put another 4 shots into it before it was still.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sevens,

This isn't necessarily a recommendation but like Allen I killed a lion very dead with a 300 Win. Mag. It happened that the scope on the 300 was a little better for the low light conditions than the one on the 375. The PH was much more interested in bullet placement than caliber.

As for a recommendation it seems the concensus of opinion is that the 375 is the classic lion caliber. It has worked really well for me in many varied applications.

Regards,

Mark

Posts: 12873 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I haven't hunted lion yet so take this for what it's worth.

When I go go I'll use my 416 Remington with 2.3-8 Leupold and loaded with 400 grain A-Frames @2400fps.

It's accurate and I have a whole lot of faith in it.

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
McCray,

What make of rifle is your 416 rem? Is it custom? Just curious. I don't know why, but I seem drawn to that caliber.

Sevens

one of us
posted Hide Post
So would you shoot a lion with a hot loaded 45/70 from a Ruger # 1? Or should I buy another rifle? Its the only big game rifle I own and so far its taken anything I have ever wanted it to here in the states including moose and bear.
Using garret or buffalo bore ammo or my own equilvent loads
Just what would it be safe and effective to shoot with it over there? Can I assume anything short of rhino and elephant? Just wondering?
Jim L

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

So would you shoot a lion with a hot loaded 45/70 from a Ruger # 1? Or should I buy another rifle? Its the only big game rifle I own and so far its taken anything I have ever wanted it to here in the states including moose and bear.

Using garret or buffalo bore ammo or my own equilvent loads

Just what would it be safe and effective to shoot with it over there? Can I assume anything short of rhino and elephant? Just wondering?

Jim L

There has been a lot of debate about the 45-70 on AR, and a search will show plenty of talk on this subject. The 45-70 is not a legal caliber for lion, buffalo and elephant in most countries. So it really does not matter whether it can kill those species when conditions are right (the .308 can do it too). If things go wrong and someone gets scratched, regardless of whose fault, the government is going to want to know why a non-legal caliber was being used. But before you book a lion hunt I am sure you will research all of this and be well prepared.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim

I would be more concerned with the lack of a second shot than the caliber.

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mine is a Model 70. After it split the stock after the first six shots, I put it in a HS Precision stock.

It also has Leupold QR bases held on with 8-40 screws, a Williams steel extractor, and I replaced the mag spring and follower with different parts. All of those mods make me sleep better but the original parts worked fine. Just insurance.

So far the biggest thing I've used it on was an eland that it dropped with one shot (350 Barnes X @ 2500fps).

I couldn't reasonably ask for a better combination.

Good luck.

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote