Find
Notify
Tools

Here is a good idea
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted
We all have digital cameras, if you don't ... please join the 21st century and read on.

Before you go to Africa, take a closeup photo of the first page of your passport, your entry visa page, your 4457, plane tickets ... every pertinent document. Keep a copy on all of your flash cards (in case on card dies)

After you get to Africa, Take photos of your gun license that is issued in the country of arrival and your visa/entry stamp page of your passport.

If you loose any of these originals, you have a good copy that you can print out. Especially on the visa page, and first page of the passport and your gun licenses.

If they are lost, you will have less dificulty sorting it out if you have a very good photo of the document.

Edited in: You can also use your cell phone to take photos of your gun license, Entry stamp/visa page of your passport after you arrive.

Posts: 6253 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
Wonderful idea. I have always scanned copies and emailed them to myself but his way you don't even need access to the internet.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Oday,

That is also an excellent backup. Then you will have a copy on your "Sent" and "Inbox" folders of important documents. That can be accessed from almost anywhere in the world.

You can also use your phone to take photos of gun license and entry stamp page on your passport. This may also be convenient.

One of Us
Picture of Hunting For Adventure
posted Hide Post
That is a great idea! So simple.

Tom Addleman
tom@dirtnapgear.com

Posts: 1161 | Location: Kansas City, Missouri | Registered: 03 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
great idea - but whats a digital camera Confused Big Grin

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tapper2
posted Hide Post
Great idea, hadn't thought about the paperwork over there. I always have several copies of my passport and my 4457 with me.

If you copy your 4457 on a color copier you can't tell it from the original...in Africa. Great help one time. A police official thought he had the makings of a good brib. Wouldn't give us our 4457 back unless we paid him. What he didn't know was that he was holding copies. We just walked away to our plane. Last year, again Tanzania.

SCI lifer
NRA Patron
DRSS
DSC

Posts: 654 | Location: Denver, Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wendell,

Wonderful idea. Will certainly do this...

Regards, Tim

Posts: 1319 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wendell - Now I need $300.00 for a new digital camera, and $50.00 for a memory stick! Can I borrow the money???

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4884 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the new phones will do all of this AND
store 10,000 hours of music.
don't have one of those either....

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
Wendell

Thanks for the great idea.

quote:
Originally posted by Tapper2:
Great help one time. A police official thought he had the makings of a good brib. Wouldn't give us our 4457 back unless we paid him. What he didn't know was that he was holding copies. We just walked away to our plane. Last year, again Tanzania.

Were you concerned about the PO having the serial numbers for property? I would have been concerned that he might have tried to cause you trouble.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Neilson:
Wendell - Now I need $300.00 for a new digital camera, and $50.00 for a memory stick! Can I borrow the money???

Aaron, I suggest, for you, that you draw a picture of your gun license. I am sure that would suffice in your case. Big Grin

No need to thank me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dude, that hurts!!!!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4884 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Neilson:
Aaron; No you don,t , Please don,t take this personally or even that it is intended for you ,,,
. There is no doubt an expensive digital camera has more features than a 150 dollar one with a 30 dollar card ... BUT SO WHAT !!!!!!!
.Get a camera and take the flippin pictures ...
. I,m somewhat of a Luddite ..But 2 years ago when my grand daughter was to be born , we got a cheap 140 dollar Fugi 5 mp 3x zoom camera and 1 card that holds about 80 pics ... I have taken thousands of pics with it .. I have some friends up here who must have been dropped on their head when a baby , They won,t reload because they can,t afford the 500 dollar VidMar cabinets to put put the bench top on .. Or some other bone head excuse ., they don,t have a cell phone because they can,t find just the right one , and they don,t get a digital camera because they want a thousand dollar one .So they have to con someone into taking pics for them and doing all the work of posting or a mailing pics for them .....STUPID STUPID STUPID killpc horse I WISH THERE WAS AN AVATAR OF SOMEONE GETTING A SWIFT KICK IN THE PANTS ...... AAAHHHHHHHHHHH Mad Roll Eyes Mad.....................
Posted pictures are so great .. . After arguing with some Roll Eyes like ISS it,s nice to go look at someones trophy pics ect ....... You can take and post pics with a 50 dollar digital camera ......... PLEASE .JOIN THE 21st CENTURY AND GET A DIGITAL CAMERA ...

Thank you fishing

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Those little Fuji cameras are Brilliant, I still use a 2meg non zoom one. They sort have built in effects. It's like using an old Brownie Box camera, whatever you spend on a serious SLR you won't duplicate that nostalgic feel.

"When doing battle, seek a quick victory."

Posts: 4739 | Location: London England | Registered: 11 May 2003Reply With Quote