New
Find
Notify
Tools

Afrikaans language tapes/cd
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone have a good source for a teaching tape or cd to practice speaking Afrikaans? I am having to put a lot of road time in on my job lately and might as well put the time to some use. You must hear the correct pronunciation of a language to be able to speak it well. I have lots of good sources of written teaching material. I am looking for something to practice my speach with.

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wonder why you are interested in Afrikaans...

Sunshine

Posts: 640 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 June 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
swahili and/or shona...

jeffe

Posts: 38502 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Mike Smith

There are language courses in well stocked bookstores. Afrikaans is old Dutch dialect, some claim it's plat-Deutsch

Many words are simular to Swedish

Good luck

/ JOHAN

one of us
Picture of BwanaBob
posted Hide Post
I've been trying to learn a bit of Ndebele - had an Ndebele tutor for a short while but really have troubles with the clicks!

Anyone know of learning packages/tapes/software for Ndebele?

Posts: 909 | Location: Blackheath, NSW, Australia | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

The "Teach Yourself Afrikaans" and "Colloquial Afrikaans" sets are both quite good. I believe the Colloquial series has CD's now. Both can be found on Amazon.com

I have a better teacher....an Afrikaans girlfriend..!!

I've also seen several language courses here in the bookstores in RSA for Zulu and Xhosa, but not sure about other black languages

Posts: 643 | Location: DeRidder, Louisiana USA | Registered: 12 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Mike,

I have one I would like to sell, please email me...jim

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Wonder why you are interested in Afrikaans...

I cant imagine why either! I figured I could practice my language skills while Im stuck on the road. I have always tried to learn and speak as much of the local language no matter where I have been. No matter how bad you butcher it people appreciate you attempting to use their language.

Zulu and Shona I already have. I figure between a smattering of the three I can and have got around pretty well. It isnt necesarry it is just something I do.

JR, I believe the correct phrase for that is a sleeping dictionary.

one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Mike,

When I learned Vietnamese we called it a "long-haired dictionary".

jim

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jr, I have seen the colloquial series and it is pretty good for the basics.

Jim, I am interested in ths tapes you have on a conditional basis. I have heard the long haired dictionary term as well. I will email you offline time to DI DI MAO out of here.

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
The best reason to know some of the local language is to not let them know and see what they say when they think you can't understand them.

I surprised my PH in '94 on the third day of my safari when he was talking in Sindebele to a tracker about seeing a leopard on a certain bend in the road in the past. I asked him if his client got the leopard and how big it was.

You should have saw the wheels turning in his head trying to remember what else he had been saying for the previous three days.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
John, There is some truth there for sure. Two years ago, I had been there for about a week. I never told anyone what I understood of the language. It is amazing what people will say when they think you are not listening or cant understand them. Anyway, after hearing a few things I wasnt meant to one night I went outside to check on things in the skinning shed. One of the phs young sons was there, about 3 or 4. I like kids so I started jabbering with him in my limited Afrikaans. One of the ph's came up behind me and heard me. Talk about a doe in the headlights look! He was like "what did you just say?" I said we were just talking about the kudu. He said thats what I thought.

A few minutes later you saw him talking to the other ph's and pointing in my general direction. I still laugh about it as it really caught them off guard. It wasnt meant to but it was educational none the less.