THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Penetration and Knock Down .577 NE vs .500 NE vs .600 NE
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Penetration and Knock Down .577 NE vs .500 NE vs .600 NE
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
I wish AFRICAN HUNTER would jump in here as he is one person that I know has hunted with many different Nitro calibres, including some of the BIG ones.

Well, I'm late, but here now, NE 450#2. Still cannot see very well, but we'll try.

I have used the .600, .577 and .500 on both elephant and buffalo. In addition to other .45 and .47 doubles. These are my opinions and observations only and not lab work measurements.

From what I have seen, all will stun an elephant with a near brain miss. The effect of the stun is related to the caliber and bullet weight. Now I didn't determine whether I missed the brain by 1/4", 1/2" or 1". The .600 gets their attention more than the .577 and the .577 more than the .500 and the .500 more than the .470.
From what I have seen the .500 will out penetrate the .577 and the .577 will out do the .600. However, I never felt there was any shortage of pentration with any of them from the .45s on up and probably not with the .416, but never used it on elephant, only on buffs.

I could write a lot more about about reactions of specific animals, but that could get lenghly and only bear out the summary of my opinions given above. There have been some spectacular reactions and the second barrel always finished the discussion. Needless to say, to get the above opinions and observations you have to admit you missed the brain.

Also, needless to say, if you hit the brain with the first shot it is all over and an acedemic arguement because they will all reach the brain!

Now, would I go back to .600 or a .577, no not likely. I am getting too old to lug them around and get beat up by them. I was happy with them when I used them, but this is another time and another place. I might not even lug the .500 again. I kinda like the feel of the .500/450 or maybe the .470. It bothers me everytime I put one of them on the plane!

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
At last, informative comments from someone who has actually had field experience with the calibres in question on this post.

Thanks A.H. thumb

Posts: 1224 | Location: Western Australia | Registered: 31 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
AfricanHunter

I am glad you are feeling better.

Thanks for your info.

I sure do wish you would write a book, as you are one of the few "Modern Men" that has used all calibres of the big bore doubles, and many different Makers as well.

I wish you a speedy 100% recovery and hope to see you at DSC, and I will be at SCI next year as well.

PS, if you need a Dependable Gun Bearer, to carry one of you BIG doubles, on an elephant Safari, let me know.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
AH,

Wishing you well for complete recovery.

It is obvious, to me anyway, that indeed physics rules the day and Taylor was, not surprisingly, right. And as is Penetration Index.

Thanks for relating your experiences.

Be well.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19362 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ditto.

Hope you get better quick and thanks for confirming what Taylor and history tell os, physics too.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Let me just add my thanks and well-wishes. I appreciate the real-life input and hope that you recover fully and promptly.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
African Hunter

Thank you for your input. Your experiences as you reported them follow Taylor and others who have used the above named calibers and I think taken together should settle the matter.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Africanhunter,
Did you hunt the mababe depression in Bots with Neil Wareing?

Posts: 376 | Location: Phoenix AZ | Registered: 21 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Best wishes for a full recovery, AH.

I share the relief of others that your personal experience vindicates over one hundred years of recorded history. Big Grin

Just kidding. Wink

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13623 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chipolopolo:
Africanhunter,
Did you hunt the mababe depression in Bots with Neil Wareing?

No, never hunted Bots.

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote