Find
Notify
Tools

Quantas to Africa
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted
Quantas is offering flights from Los Angeles to Johannesburg for $1830. Has anyone flown that route?

It's got to be at least 24 hours total to South Africa. I wonder if I could get a couple of days layover in OZ along the way?

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12591 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Oy it is Qantas (Queensland and Northern Territory Aerial Service - one of the world's first commercial airlines - some trivia).

It is going to be a very long flight!

LA to Sydney non-stop. This is about 13 1/2 hours but you will fly through the international date line.

Sydney right across Australia without stop. And then across the Indian Ocean to Jo'burg. Another 14 hours.

Plus changeover time.

Will make all the sooky comments about the Atlantic fade in comparison. But Qantas has great service if compared to SAA or United (blah!).

But not a bad idea if you break up the trip, maybe with a couple days in Sydney.

Edited: Firearms might be a big problem if planning to stop over.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
Fjold

When I fly from NZ to SA I always go Qantas

My route:

Wellington - Sydney : 3 hrs +
Sydney - Jo Burg : 12 hours +

I was thinking about also going via Dubai on Emirates ( Saeed's planes ) as there are daily flights from NZ via Dubai to Jo Burg as well, also NZ - Australia - Dubai to Jo Burg

Regards, Peter

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ms AZWriter is on her way to Syndey tonight on Quantas. No Good Friday for her.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7573 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
Ms AZWriter is on her way to Syndey tonight on Quantas. No Good Friday for her.

I flew to Auckland a couple of years ago and one of the guys I was with had a birthday the next day (Tuesday). We left LAX on Monday night and landed in Auckland on Wednesday morning so he lost his birthday.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12591 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure that I would want to have to mess with firearms regs to get the layover but considering that a lot fewer hunters will be coming in that way, at least for a while, it will sure cut down on the standing in line for your RSA gun permits. Last time that took 4 hours! If you add that to the LA-Jo'berg time via SAA they come out to the same and Qantas is cheaper . . . and if their service is better, whoo-boy!

Sarge

Holland's .375: One Planet, One Rifle . . . for one hundred years!

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I didn't know that, however it might reduce the sardine packing of SAA. I fly from the west coast to Atlanta, grab a quick bite, then board that loooonnnngggg flight to RSA. It will only mean four more hours, but after 19 hours, who's counting.

Swift, Silent, & Friendly

Posts: 426 | Location: Nevada | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
USA Guests should CONSIDER using this route to go the South Africa .... ESPECIALLY if they want to visit DUBAI and maybe even lay over for a day or two ... you never know you might even find SAEED languishing under a DATE PALM contemplating his next AFRICA ADVENTURE sleep

The Emirates New York flights have been scheduled to provide convenient connections from the Middle East and South Asia.

Freq Daily

DUBAI to NY

Dept time: 08.00
Arr. time: 14.00
Flight No: EK201
Aircraft : A345

NY to Dubai

Dept time: 23.30
Arr. time: 20.20*
Flight No: EK202
Aircraft : A345

*Arrives next day.

Emirates flights depart Terminal 1 at Dubai International Airport and arrive at Terminal 4 at New York JFK International Airport.

The onwards DUBAI to Johannesburg is a much shorter flight

Regards, Peter

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ms AZW just called me from Sydney; landed an hour ago. She said Quantas is going downhill - only passed out one water bottle. When she went to ask for another the flight attendant looked at her indignantly and said, "That was all you get."

She said the seats are closer together as well. She was just over there last month and didn't complain, so who knows?

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7573 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Came back Tuesday from NZ on Qantas. Had to sit by a lap baby, but they did hand out ice cream bars for desert, so on balance, it was a better ride than SAA.

*************************Conservationist. Reformed Attorney. Producer of Outdoor Media.

www.stevescott.tv

Posts: 192 | Location: Norman, OK USA | Registered: 01 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
only passed out one water bottle. When she went to ask for another the flight attendant looked at her indignantly and said, "That was all you get."

That is crap service. How can that be on a long cross-Pacific flight where they serve several meals? Soft drinks and water (etc) are free and I have never paid for wine or beer when it is served with the meal and think it is free as well, unlike Virgin which charges for everything. Confused Confused

OldSarge

When I flew SAA from Perth to Jo'burg I was the ONLY person with firearms aboard.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote