New
Find
Notify
Tools

Horned Death
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have been reading Burger's book on hunting the cape buffalo.

I always believe anyone's hunting story until I catch them in a lie. Then I don't believe a single thing that they ever tell me, again. If I want fiction I can read a book that is written as such.

I am trying to explain how important hunting is to me.

Anyways ... In this particular chapter Burger talks of wounding a lion and tracking it to a bit of cover `where he expects to find the big cat.

He puts his gun down beside him to pick up a rock to toss into the cover to see if the cat is, in point of fact, still there. Might even be dead.

He hears a rustling sound and looks up to see the lion charging him. He then says that he did not have time to pick up the rifle beside him so he took off running for a tree 150 yards away.

Huh?

Not sure if I want to read any more of the book after that chapter.

(The lion was so badly wounded that it could not finish the charge and the author)

Posts: 1535 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Might not ever want to read another book then.

I don’t doubt, however, that when the shit hits the fan people do odd things. A liar would have left this out of the book and not made a fool of himself, no?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
An author that will keep you enthralled and burn the midnight oil would be Capstick. Big Grin

Posts: 1910 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A good point, BaxterB. I reckon that you are 100% correct on that.

Capstick,yeah, right. LOL

Posts: 1535 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If a lion is charging at you, and you are running, anyone can run 150 yards in 5 seconds, fact!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fulvio:
An author that will keep you enthralled and burn the midnight oil would be Capstick. Big Grin

Shouldn't there be a long thread somewhere on here of all of Capstick's documented lies with the proof?

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 9580 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jefffive:
quote:

Shouldn't there be a long thread somewhere on here of all of Capstick's documented lies with the proof?

Yarns maybe, but the truth has been elusive.

One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Hahaha dancing

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3406 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
quote:
quote:

Yarns maybe, but the truth has been elusive.

I understand he was a drunk, you can get that from how important alcohol is in his writing (not unlike Robert Ruark and Hemingway, both of whom managed to write in spite of it) but Capstick named names of who he worked for/with on control hunting and some clients, where are their statements that he misrepresented events in which they were involved?

All I've ever heard about was second and third-hand claims, usually over drinks, that he made shit up.

I'll wager he got several times as many hunters to Africa than anybody on AR has.

Posts: 9580 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'll wager he got several times as many hunters to Africa than anybody on AR has.

Yep, and I think Craig Boddington would have to be included as well.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2771 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Ahrenberg:
quote:
quote:

Hahaha dancing

I was going to mention your name. dancing

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7594 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have an enormous library of old African books.

Lots are rare books.

Not a single one I have read I could not find something not right about what was written in there.

I think we need to realize that we are reading books written under different conditions we are excperiencing today.

Nothing wrong with that.

They dealt with problems that had arisen the best way they could.

And I appreciate them writing these down for us to enjoy later in years.

Talking of Chapstick, I for one is grateful for him.

He was the man who got me to Africa.

Funny this.

Yesterday I had a coffee with the friend who gave me his book, DEATH IN THE LONG GRASS.

This was over 45 years ago.

I still prefer the old books to some of the current crop about hunting.

Some of which make absolutely no sense at all.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67036 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agree with Saed on the the inconsistencies in virtually any book. As well as the absolutely stupid things the author does. I'm guilty of it and I know better. Once, we were looking for a place to hang a leopard bait and I got out of the gari and left my rifle in the car. We bumped a pride of lion on a kill. Now didn't I look silly with no rifle.

I got interested in Africa long before Capstick's books. Roosevelt's African Game Trails did it for me when I was 8 years old, but Capstick's books fueled the fire. I never met him, but my wife did when he was in Houston at Abercrombie & Fitch (back when it was a real sporting goods store) and he autographed my copy of Death in the Long Grass. I've met his wife, Fiona, and she is a wonderful lady.

He may have embellished a bit. None of us could have possibly been guilty of that, could we? But he was a great writer and there's really no need to discuss an author's issues with alcohol.
As noted, many have had issues, but that didn't detract from their works.

My two cents.

Posts: 10037 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Besides the BS. What gripes me is reading

about the writer getting a bottle, taking a drink, or rolling a smoke repeatedly.

Who gives a shit about such filler crap?

I was sent a couple 1920's fiction detective books by Dashiel Hammet. I had never heard of him before.
(thanks Bill/Ore) nearly every page has the same crap: "took a drink, or had to relax with a smoke." Almost ruined the great story writing he put out.

Reading the same type books all the time, at least I need a change in subject matter at times.
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5947 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scruffy:
I have been reading Burger's book on hunting the cape buffalo.

I always believe anyone's hunting story until I catch them in a lie. Then I don't believe a single thing that they ever tell me, again. If I want fiction I can read a book that is written as such.

I am trying to explain how important hunting is to me.

Anyways ... In this particular chapter Burger talks of wounding a lion and tracking it to a bit of cover `where he expects to find the big cat.

He puts his gun down beside him to pick up a rock to toss into the cover to see if the cat is, in point of fact, still there. Might even be dead.

He hears a rustling sound and looks up to see the lion charging him. He then says that he did not have time to pick up the rifle beside him so he took off running for a tree 150 yards away.

Huh?

Not sure if I want to read any more of the book after that chapter.

(The lion was so badly wounded that it could not finish the charge and the author)
No way you would put down your gun in such a situation and a Lion charge is dreadfully quick and the rule of thumb is you do not run!

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9875 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:

Huh?

He probably wrote it that away because that reads better than, "I shit my pants and took off running in fear."

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12552 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
Agree with Saed on the the inconsistencies in virtually any book. As well as the absolutely stupid things the author does. I'm guilty of it and I know better. Once, we were looking for a place to hang a leopard bait and I got out of the gari and left my rifle in the car. We bumped a pride of lion on a kill. Now didn't I look silly with no rifle.

I got interested in Africa long before Capstick's books. Roosevelt's African Game Trails did it for me when I was 8 years old, but Capstick's books fueled the fire. I never met him, but my wife did when he was in Houston at Abercrombie & Fitch (back when it was a real sporting goods store) and he autographed my copy of Death in the Long Grass. I've met his wife, Fiona, and she is a wonderful lady.

He may have embellished a bit. None of us could have possibly been guilty of that, could we? But he was a great writer and there's really no need to discuss an author's issues with alcohol.
As noted, many have had issues, but that didn't detract from their works.

My two cents.

+1

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36646 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
quote:

Huh?

He probably wrote it that away because that reads better than, "I shit my pants and took off running in fear."

yuck

Posts: 10206 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Funny story on myself. We were tracking a lion, unwounded, and he'd been a bit grouchy when we bumped him a couple of times, but we kept on. The trackers temporarily lost the track and I was standing next to a big pile of brush while they were sorting it out. My scope was cranked down to one power and the light was on. It was a little tense. All of a sudden there was a rather loud rustling in the brush pile and something burst out of it!. I swung on a --- rabbit. The guys thought it was hilarious that I almost whimalated a rabbit with a .416.

Posts: 10037 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
We were hunting Westwood in Zimbabwe.

We started following a herd of buffalo after they had drunk from the Zambezi River.

It was in the afternoon.

Roy sent the truck ahead, as the herd was feeding up there.

After following for a while, the herd turned back.

Our truck was no where to be seen - he was on the other side of the hills as we had asked him to go.

My girlfriend and the game scout got lost.

Roy asked me to wait for them, in case they turn up, and he went back to camp to get the other truck, which was a few miles away.

I was left on my own by the river.

Sun went down, and soon it was very dark.

Found a tree with leaning branch, so I got on to it.

Not very high.

Then I started hearing noise.

I had a 416 Weatherby Magnum, but as useless as a matchstick in that dark.

I decided to walk back to camp.

Animals were coming to the river to drink, and rusting and noise around every bush!!

Half way to camp, met Rene looking for us.

The game scout and my girlfriend walked back to cam and reported us lost! clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67036 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
One of my last Lions decided to visit my camp in the early hours of the morning roaring and making a general disturbance. The hunter and I waited in the dining room for the first light as all my staff were securely locked up in their quarters when we decided to venture to the kitchen to make some coffee. My client was carrying a custom .470 double and whilst the kettle was boiling and in the dim light of a new morning the Lion walked into the kitchen and leaning over a pile of beer crates my client took his shot. Fuck the coffee and we opened up a bottle of fine Whiskey.

A bottle of finest Whiskey later we set him up for photographs on the plain from where he came.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a fairly decent African Library. Likely not nearly as magnificent as Saeed’s but respectable.

There is. Or one of them where the truth was not stretched in some way or another.

Dames goes for my American section.

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE
Valmet 412 30/06 & 9.3x74R

Posts: 1074 | Location: Denver | Registered: 31 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a book, printed in 1912 "The Adventures of an Elephant Hunter" by Sutherland, published by none other than MacMillan and Co. Highly interesting. Much of it, it my estimate, utter bullshit. Multiple instances of getting tossed by buffalo and elephants, no worse for wear. Just not credible, based on my limited experience with African game- if they want you dead, you're in a world of hurt from what I can tell.
I understand times are different, but reading it is an illustration of some of the worst of the stereotypes of colonialism. Thank god for the truthful storytellers- like Hemingway jealous of his friend's kudu or telling the tale the truckload of amused African laughing at his repeated misses. This is the way.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
One of my last Lions decided to visit my camp in the early hours of the morning roaring and making a general disturbance. The hunter and I waited in the dining room for the first light as all my staff were securely locked up in their quarters when we decided to venture to the kitchen to make some coffee. My client was carrying a custom .470 double and whilst the kettle was boiling and in the dim light of a new morning the Lion walked into the kitchen and leaning over a pile of beer crates my client took his shot. Fuck the coffee and we opened up a bottle of fine Whiskey.

A bottle of finest Whiskey later we set him up for photographs on the plain from where he came.

Should have gotten one with him on the beer crates Cool

One of Us
Picture of umzingele
posted Hide Post
Never let the truth interfere with a great story!

Posts: 263 | Location: Johannesburg, South Africa | Registered: 20 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With a lot of the books from the Victorian age, they tended to understate it, stiff upper lip and all that!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've hunted with friends over the years, we have a successful day and before we get home I begin to wonder if I was on the same hunt, sometimes a few miles to the house sometimes the other side of the world. LOL

Posts: 45 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 22 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Andrew's story reminds me of a time in Simanjiro in Masailand. We were hunting the fly camp back when Luke had the concession. Toward the end of the hunt and we'd had a good hunt so one day, we happened to be near camp at lunch time and decided to have lunch in camp. As the PH and I were eating in the dining tent, we heard a tremendous commotion in the kitchen -- banging and clanging, a lot of profanity in Swahili and other languages, but the intent was clear.

Soon thereafter, the camp manager showed up at the dining tent, breathless. Between breaths, he asked: Do you .... want ... to ... shoot ... a .. baboon?

I said hapana and went on with lunch.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I worked with a gentleman for nearly 15 years. We were together on the road, in the field, in the office and hunting and fishing. I was a nose to the grindstone type, he, a story teller and a laugher.
I often sat and listened in wonder to him regale folks with our adventures.
Over beers alone,one night, I commented to him that the story was not quite what I remembered. I remembered being wet, cold, tired and hungry. It wasnt any fun at all. With a twinkle in his eye, he shook his head, gave me pityful look and said,"Nobdy wants to hear that! That's not a good story."
I've come to like rembering his stories over my memories. Scientific journals make pretty boring reading and seldom inspire.
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do some writing from time to time, so I feel compelled to comment. What is written is not necessarily a totally inaccurate "lie," so much as the wriiter's license to embellish. If you require absolute truth with none of that, perhaps limit your reading to the Holy Bible?

Most of my money I spent on hunting and fishing. The rest I just wasted

Posts: 261 | Location: Saint Thomas, Pennsylvania | Registered: 14 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the following description. Writing is story telling of a sort.

quote:
Originally posted by Black Fly:
I worked with a gentleman for nearly 15 years. We were together on the road, in the field, in the office and hunting and fishing. I was a nose to the grindstone type, he, a story teller and a laugher.
I often sat and listened in wonder to him regale folks with our adventures.
Over beers alone,one night, I commented to him that the story was not quite what I remembered. I remembered being wet, cold, tired and hungry. It wasnt any fun at all. With a twinkle in his eye, he shook his head, gave me pityful look and said,"Nobdy wants to hear that! That's not a good story."
I've come to like rembering his stories over my memories. Scientific journals make pretty boring reading and seldom inspire.
Bfly

Most of my money I spent on hunting and fishing. The rest I just wasted

Posts: 261 | Location: Saint Thomas, Pennsylvania | Registered: 14 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[quote]He hears a rustling sound and looks up to see the lion charging him. He then says that he did not have time to pick up the rifle beside him so he took off running for a tree 150 yards away.

Huh?

I don't see this as being a lie. Saying he made it would be a lie!

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 828 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote