THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Double rifle speed reloading techniques
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Double rifle speed reloading techniques
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted
Let me preface by saying that I spent nearly 25yrs perfecting my ability to speed reload my various weapon systems while maintaining continuous visual observation on the subject in front of me. Shotguns, handguns, AR's can all be "topped off" while held in such a way as to maintain the visual, and keeping them pointed downrange at the target.

I have however hit the wall when it comes to reloading my double .450 (extractor). The rifle must certainly come off the shoulder in order to break the action open and rotate the rifle sufficiently to allow gravity to work its magic and empty the chambers.

I have basically been shooting 2rds then maintaining a visual on my target while I bring the rifle down. As soon as the rifle is about chest high I can throw the top lever (right hand) and start to break the action. As it continues on down I rotate the open action inward towards my body and rotate it enough that it spills the emptys and I then rotate it back into a loading position. I am still staring at my target.
At this point I now have some questions. I have tried holding two rounds at the ready in my left hand on the forend. This has proved difficult and has a number of other practical issues. I have also tried using my left hand to go to my belt holder, pull two rounds and get them into the awaiting chambers while looking down momentarily to get proper alignment.
I am not particularly happy with the speed or dexterity of this method. Lately I have been going to my belt with my right (strong) hand plucking two rounds and much more efficiently getting them aligned and chambered, then sweeping my right hand down the stock to close the action as I raise and shoulder the rifle. I can perform this last method faster and with greater dexterity using my strong hand for the fine work of grasping the rounds and having them aligned in my fingers before I even get to the chambers. Something I could not accomplish with my weak hand while training which means that in a tense situation it would only become worse.
Using this right hand method I need only glance down for a split second to watch the bullets align with the bore then its eyes back up and on target.

Any comments, observations and opinions would be appreciated.

Especially regarding the rotating to eject. It just seems more natural to rotate inward while pressing the lever outward with my thumb. Pressing the top lever right and then rotating on over further right gets awkward.

P.S. I am really not this anal, I just want to have a fairly quick, reliable reload that allows me to keep eyes downrange on target as much as possible with a minimum of fumbling around.

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
I have not used a double rifle but certainly have a shotgun both S/S and O/U.

In your descriptions of technique hard to determine if you are right or left handed but for me being left I find left thumb pushing top lever to right as gun rotated away from chest works a peach. Danger in rotating gun in to chest is empties could fall back into chamber area.

For shotgunning of course ejectors are the way to go. With rifles on DG there's always the issue of metallic click etc but I don't know how much store is placed on this as I imagine once a couple of shots are fired this is not going to be too much of an issue and a fast reload is more important than pussy footing around trying to maintain silence.
You do state that you are letting the empties fall out of the chambers so there is always the chance of metallic noise coming from falling cases hitting each other or hard ground.

I've tried holding cartridges in my fingers but it's uncomfortable and cannot be sustained for long. Difficult to know how best to carry spare cartridges. Shotgunning I always like a tightish fitting hunting vest with big side pocket, quite quick and easy to grab two more rounds and get them in the gun and back on target.

I do like a magazine though. Wink

Posts: 3912 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
What ever floats your boat - JCS271 I have recently gone just the opposite, i.e. I am holding the rifle with my "strong arm" (I believe one should never let go the pistol grip no matter what happens) and reload with my weaker one. Further more - I used to pluck the empties out as eagle27 advised (I am a lefty too), but changed it. I have found out that on occasions empties just sit in the chambers and it is hard to rely on plucking them out with 100% every time - must say I use 9,3x74R and those empties are lighter than the ones in bigger calibers...

So recently I just pull the empties out with my index finger and middle finger and reach for a fresh pair between my weaker hand's fingers tightly one against each other and a thumb - grasping 2 rounds that I keep in pairs now (used to keep them as singles with spacing) with empty slot between pairs. Additional operation of pulling the empties out doesn't cost much additional time, it is 100% reliable + it mimics the same operation that I perform when changing only one fired round.

To train it, I always start slow, using emtpy cases as a first pair that is in the chambers (empties are much lighter than snap caps) with a pair of snap caps on my belt and work it out...later when I am well used to all the operations needed, I end up in a pitch-dark room (one may even bandage his eyes) - point is you don't see a thing and try and execute the reload - makes wonders Smiler .

Posts: 2031 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
That's why God made bolt-action magazine rifles. Smiler

That's why doubles are essentially a two shot affair.

That's why doubles are of limited usefulness, as they have a very limited purpose, besides being cool. Smiler

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19369 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
One of the wrist cartridge holders may help.

Tipping the barrels up in the air to drop the empties may be faster than twisting it to one side.

Practice reloading when running away. Smiler

Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Someone will claim they can or know someone that can reload a double and shoot four rounds as fast as a magazine rifle.

Now if they can do that when on the verge of getting castrated by a charging Cape buffalo, I'd be impressed.

Ejectors would help but basically you're going to be singing tenor from then on.

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
It isn't really so much about how fast. It's all about practice and consistancy. Practice does make perfect! Speed will follow.
What works best for you is the best!

I prefer the open tip breech right and down, reload weak hand.

The best method for faster reloading. . .Ejectors! Big Grin

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[quote]That's why God made bolt-action magazine rifles.

That's why doubles are essentially a two shot affair.

That's why doubles are of limited usefulness, as they have a very limited purpose, besides being cool.

On charge, one that materializes at around 15-20 meters (as they usually do) whether its a bolt or double, if you don't finish the job in two you can forget the third - just hope the one that didn't run shoots straight! Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I catch the butt on my right thigh while forcing the barrels open to make sure the cases come out.
After my right hand has worked the catch it is grabbing the next two rounds off the holder on the stock (fastest) or from my belt.

Having seen the Kriegoffs used in several competitions this system seems to be the fastest and I have practiced it.

In an ideal world when you own a woodward you flick the latch, tilt the barrels slightly upwards as the empties drop out and you slip the next two in...at least that is how my uncles .450/400 worked and Clem Coetze used the same technique with his 500/465 (extractor only) on the culls

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stock shell holder is the fastest by far, with ejectors you can keep the stock on your shoulder with extractors you cannot, the other advantage of ejectors is they work much better than extractors if your having to save your stones while running, either way as Will stated above the double is a two shot affair and nothing else.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Practice reloading when running away

yuck

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Milo Shanghai
posted Hide Post
Having run into plenty of people who claimed that their non-ejector was just as fast over four rounds as an ejector I can tell you it's crap.

However, being that you have a non-ejector I advise you to use your most dexterous hand to acquire and chamber the rounds. Whatever routine you find most effective I would stick with it and use the same for shotgunning.

Law of averages states that the casual hunter with decent PH is unlikely to face a life-threatening charge and, if you do, the PH will deliver the solution. But if you are in a true code brown situation you'll have a maximum of two shots to fix it and more than likely only one.

Moral of the story? Spend your practice time on guaranteeing accuracy with the crucial first shot that you put into the beast. If you need more than two follow ups from close range you have probably already been clobbered.

Posts: 680 | Location: London | Registered: 03 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's a quote from someone who just didn't have the time to reload, fast as they might be:

"First the rustle of dried grass then the harsh furious grunting of a huge wounded leopard. He broke cover at four yards. My first shot with my 475 #2 Jeffries took him square in the chest. "It's over" I thought as he folded, only to keep coming. At less than three feet I shot him straight down between the shoulders but he was too close. Out of ammo I saw as if in slow motion........etc."

OK in this particular case the distance was greatly reduced but the importance is not how quickly one can reload but by making sure of those first 2 shots available.
If I may so suggest, one should practice with live rounds as the recoil will be the determining factor governing the speed in the reloading process "without taking your eyes off the quarry" - (food for thought?)

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:

That is what I use.

I am right handed. After I fire both barrels, I start to drop the rifle and open the action. I like extractors, so I dump the spent rounds. I wear a wrist holder on my left forearm. Grab the two fresh rounds out of the holder with my right hand, drop them in, close the breech and it is ready to go.

This is the holder I use. Works fine.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewp...productnumber=563878

And if you are really interested in speed, just get a Blaser R93 and cut loose. Cool

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
bribe the Game Scout to let you use his AK-47?

Seriously, what MJ and Will say has merit. Both of my double are ejectors, so I just took Hunter's advice.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Dirk nailed it in his commentary above. I believe most folks want to practice a “fast reload” for a charging animal situation. I feel this scenario to be very unlikely. What is more common and therefore beneficial to practice for is the reload of the barrels while running….like to get to the next position for additional follow up shots. In my experience this happens frequently and can present real difficulties for folks if they have not practiced.

We did a great drill at one of the DRSS events where we took the first shot from shooting sticks at a target maybe 30-40 yards away. This shot was not rushed and the goal was accuracy.
For the second shot, you lifted the rifle out of the sticks and shot the same target off hand.
You then moved forward approx 10-15 yards while reloading the weapon. This step gives most folks issues.
The last two shots were fired at close range simulating a charge situation.
We timed the event from first shot to last and the shooter was penalized for any missed hits.
Clearly the idea was speed and accuracy.

I learned a lot with the drill and feel it is good practice for anyone about to go on a hunt.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
7/8ths of speed is smoothness

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10136 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
quote:

That is what I use.

I am right handed. After I fire both barrels, I start to drop the rifle and open the action. I like extractors, so I dump the spent rounds. I wear a wrist holder on my left forearm. Grab the two fresh rounds out of the holder with my right hand, drop them in, close the breech and it is ready to go.

I hear you get a Harley Davidson bandana and a pink garter with those.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

That is what I use.

I hear you get a Harley Davidson bandana and a pink garter with those.

That's right, and the good news is that the bandana and garter come on a Harley babe.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
quote:

Tipping the barrels up in the air to drop the empties may be faster than twisting it to one side.

Practice reloading when running away. Smiler

Been there, done that, it was no fun so I take my practise a little more seriously than some.

Thanks to everyone else for the suggestions. Like I said above, just wanting to come up with a fairly quick, smooth, fumble free procedure.

I don't anticipate that these skills will ever be needed in a true "life or death" situation but I really enjoy becoming skilled with my rifles and the confidence that comes with that skill can be quite comforting at times.

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

That is what I use.

:

Mike will that wrist carrier handle your 500NE cartridges?

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Absolutely. It is what I have used on all my double rifle hunts with the .500.

Mike

one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
ah thanks Mac - I knew I saw the pic somewhere - that's what I meant:

quote:
Originally posted by mouse93:
...and reach for a fresh pair between my weaker hand's fingers tightly one against each other and a thumb - grasping 2 rounds that I keep in pairs now (used to keep them as singles with spacing) with empty slot between pairs...

...otherwise I am with Will - realoading a double in a hurry is so "uncool" Big Grin ...maybe we should look for a gunbearer that would carry a twin double for us and handle it over when first one would be empty - now that would be utterly cool Cool Smiler

Posts: 2031 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Absolutely. It is what I have used on all my double rifle hunts with the .500.

Thanks Mike I'll order a couple of them today!

Mouser93 I've been useing a modified right hand glove with two rounds on the back of the right hand, which is within 5 inches of the chambers when my right hand is on the pistol grip. The picture at tha bottom on my post is the way I pull the cartridges from it, and drop them in the chambers. far quicker than from any belt or butt holder, and your trigger hand never leaves the pistol grip!

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Someone will claim they can or know someone that can reload a double and shoot four rounds as fast as a magazine rifle.

Now will, I not only think it can be done but I have done it at the Hoot&shoot in houston with witnesses from here on AR!

Four shot from a double in four seconds flat and that was even with forgetting an automatic safety, trying to fire shot three with the safety on, and haveing to release the safety, and then fire three and four. I could have done the four shots in three seconds if not for that damn safety. To top that off there were a couple of guys there shooting doubles that beat me! That dang Mike Jines is quick and deadly with that 500NE double rifle.

All four shots on an eight inch target at 25 yds. The posible score being 40 points if all hit the 2 inch ten ring, and my score was 36 points out of a possible 40 points in four seconds.

[
quote:
Now if they can do that when on the verge of getting castrated by a charging Cape buffalo, I'd be impressed.

Ejectors would help but basically you're going to be singing tenor from then on.

If it were that close, I would also be imprissed if the bolt guy could do it any better than the guy with the double. In fact the guy with the double would be more likely to get of the second shot than the guy useing the bolt rifle. Big Grin

Will I'd say the guy with the bolt rifle under the conditions you state above will stand a lot higher chance of screwing up than the guy reloading a double rifle.

Lets look at what is involved in both types for four shots as quick as you can!

………………………………….Quick reloading a double rifle

I’ve heard some BS in my time but anyone who thinks it is not possible to equal or beat the loading time with a double rifle, for four shots, on target, over a bolt rifle when both are of equal recoil, and worked by equally proficient shooters has his head in the sand. No other way to say it.

The example given by someone above about the leopard charge is not a realistic comparison, because the bolt rifle wouldn’t have gotten off but one shot, while the double got off two.. Another factor is that most client shooters who use bolt rifles tend to rely on a scope sight only, and the first shot on a leopard at that range would most likely have missed. With a Leopard that close you are lucky to hit him once no matter what rifle or sights you are using, but your chance are 100 % better of getting a second chance if that first shot misses, or in this case doesn’t stop him. Clearly the double had a distinct advantage over any bolt rifle. The cats are the most likely to get to you no matter what you are using’ but I certainly would much rather be armed with a double rifle than a bolt rifle in that situation.

Starting with both rifle’s chambers loaded, the bolt rifle with one in the tube and three down, and the double with both chambers loaded, and two in a holder on the back of the trigger hand.

For four shots from each with each rifle being fired by very proficient shooter of their rifles, they are very close to the same speed for all four shots. My experience is that the double is faster for the first two, equal for shot three, and faster for shot four. There is a reason for this that most who claim otherwise do not think of. They are the movements required to get off all four shots from each type of rifle.

With both rifle at port arms when the charge starts, the first shot time is equal if both the rifles fit their owners properly, because they acquiring the sight picture is automatic. In this case both are aimed, as all shots there after are on target or they do not count.

Both the bolt-action rifle, and the double rifle require two movements to fire the first shot. Mount the rifle and pull the trigger. At that point there will be a great difference thereafter for the movements required for each type, for each shot.

Now for the first shot, two movements for the double and two for the bolt rifle.

Shot #2 for the double rifle is two movements! Regain the sight picture, pull the other trigger ( 0r in Will’s case, pull the same trigger again) .

Shot #2 Seven moves required for the bolt rifle, lift the bolt, pull the bolt back, push the bolt forward, pull the bolt handle down, regain sight picture, regain the trigger with the bolt hand, and pull the trigger.

At this point you have fire two shots from each rifle, and the bolt rifle is already behind by five movements.

Shot three, the double requires
six movements, open the rifle, with the left hand (for a right handed shooter) pull two rounds off the back of the trigger hand, (which is still on the pistol grip of the rifle) drop the two rounds into the chambers, close the rifle, regain sight picture, pull the trigger.

Shot three with the bolt rifle, another seven moves required.

Shot four for the double rifle two movements, regain the sight picture, pull the other trigger.

Shot four for the bolt rifle, another seven moves needed.

Gentlemen, that is a total of 12 moves required for four shots with the double rifle, compared to 21 moves required with the bolt rifle for those four shots, and all four shots must be in the kill zone of the target.

These examples are with the double rifle being fitted with ejectors, simply because the bolt rifle has ejectors. With an extractor double rifle you have to add one more move to flip the empties out of the chambers. It that case the bolt rifle will still have a total of 21 moves, and the double will have 13 moves.

The timed shooting has been proven many times on the range and on the field while standing off a charge the bolt rifle has a far higher likelihood of getting a jam with all those extra moves.

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
otherwise I am with Will - realoading a double in a hurry is so "uncool" Big Grin ...maybe we should look for a gunbearer that would carry a twin double for us and handle it over when first one would be empty - now that would be utterly cool

That is what Taylor talked about.

When I have suggested that in the past the joke is made about the gunbearer probably turning to his heels in the time of need, but most of them are brave souls that do not flinch when the jumbo is coming.

And they are typically unarmed. More courage than I may have.

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Hey Mac, something like this? Smiler

Bolt:

http://www.heymusa.com/videos/HEYM_video_2.wmv

Double:

http://www.heymusa.com/videos/loading_2.wmv

one of us
posted Hide Post
Double rifles can be fast,no doubt-JD showed me that at the last Hoot and Shoot.I don't know how fast you can actually get with one,but I do feel that a bolt action can get exremely fast.I think the biggest factor to overcome in bolt rifle shooting speed would be the recoil.It's the only thing that will slow you down,once you mastered the bolt operation.I believe bolt operation has the potential of getting so fast that shots can be fired almost as quick as you can pull the trigger.IMO,cycling the bolt can require as little movement as a quick tilt of the hand and it possibly can be done so fast,that it will go unnoticed.Of course such a skill would require tons of paractice,but the potential is there-that is if you are strong enough to reduce the effects of recoil.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I remember seeing another video on the web where the shooter picked up a DR & shot it accurately at 15 or 20 yards & reloaded & shot again accurately. I wish I could find it...

Srose on AR is also very quick!

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11243 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:

CRYBABY

It's OK Will! You are probably just too full of yourself for your caliber? animal
See if you can get a kitchen pass to come play October 23rd.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
No where, and I repeat, nowhere, have I ever stated that I am a wizard at reloading double rifles, shooting double rifles, or shooting bolt-action magazine rifles!

You ain't gonna bait me into anything. Smiler

Besides, I'm old and feable!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It has been mentioned a few times by men whose opinions I respect, and that is to be as proficient, even more so, at reloading one cartridge after first shot.

Find video on these cowboy action matches and watch those boys reload their extractor scatterguns. That's how to do it. As action is opened the gun is pushed straight down, not all that much either, and the empties just stay floating in the air. And think about how light an empty hull is compared to a NE case. Works, fast.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 05 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
well, Mike Payne whome several members of this board have hunted with can easily manage 6 aimed shots in 15-17 seconds with his Krieghoff- see the Zim PH shoot details in the Africa reference section.

Clem Coetse always opened the culls with his double because he reconed he could shoot 8 rounds quicker with his double than anybdoy could do with their bolt action...and he typically took down the 8 biggest ele's in the herd with the double before switching to the 7,62x54R Semi Auto rifles we had. Clem carried the 6 spare rounds for the reloads on his shirt pocket.

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Stephen Palos
posted Hide Post
Watch the section on this Youtube footage from about the 58th second to about 1 min 26 seconds into the sequence: Big Bore Shoot Nov 08

This guy has since improved his technique to such an extent that at our recent shoot in Elisras he managed a 6 out of seven hits in 27 seconds from three different shooting positions with the first shot being over a chronograph (that shot starts the clock)

The setup was a seven shot sequence and clearly favoured magazine rifles yet Stuart won hands down (about 65 contestants) with his Krieghoff 500 NE. There were 4 static & 3 moving target shots in the sequence.

Another of our members using a double in 470Ne is Riaan Pretorius who is about as hot as Stuart, but was not at the recent Elisras shoot. You guys want to see these two when they go head-to-head at our shoots!

http://www.bigbore.org/
http://www.chasa.co.za

Addicted to Recoil !
I hunt because I am human. Hunting is the expression of my humanity...

Posts: 441 | Location: Randfontein, South Africa | Registered: 07 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
that looks like way to much fun Big Grin

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My technique is a little different than those described above. As in most cases, I look to field practicality in choosing all of my hunting techniques. I want the system that gives me the best possibility of surviving a DG encounter.

Most here practice reloading two rounds but seldom practice reloading one round. I do the reverse. most of my practice time is for a one round reload and as a secondary practice I work on two round reloads. Why?

Because I feel that the third shot can be the critical shot for survival over a fourth shot. I make an immediate reload of one round after almost all first shots, except I do use an immediate second shot after a first shot that misses an elephant brain shot and the elephant isn't knocked down and turns to run off. Even in this case I might not take that second shot if another elephant in the herd is threatening to charge. My technique is to hold a spare cartridge in my left hand (I'm right handed), I don't carry it there all the time but put it there when making the final approach. I tried doing it with two but found two uncomfortable to carry, compared to one. Also loading two is no where near as sure or as quick as loading one. Under pressure it is much easier to drop or fumble the reload when trying to reload two versus reloading one. I prefer one for sure to a maybe two. If I have time, after loading the single round I will then pluck a round from my culling belt to load the left barrel. Having that third round in your hand as you break the action and eject the fired cartridge or cartridges puts it as close as possible to the chambers for a seamless and speedy reload.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hey Mac, something like this? Smiler

Bolt:

http://www.heymusa.com/videos/HEYM_video_2.wmv

Double:

http://www.heymusa.com/videos/loading_2.wmv

Yeah SOMETHING like that only I load faster than either Chirs, or Monty with the double. Their problem is loading from that damn belt, and with their trigger hand!

However I know very few who could beat Monty with a bolt against a bolt, and the same goes for the double against his bolt. Monty is just learning the double, so is very slow with it, but he is lightening with that bolt rifle, and accurate as well. The example you posted with Monty and Chris both shooting double rifles,in fairness to Chris, that was a new thing he was trying to perfect. He was trying to see if there was a way to keep the double at your shoulder while re-loading the rifle. It works, but IMO was very slow when that film was done. I'm sure he has increased his speed, or given up on the thing by now.

Will there are a lot of people who can work a bolt quite fast, but there is a difference in getting the shots off fast, and doing it on target with every shot. Monty is a professional, owning the Safari Shooting School where he shoots hundreds of rounds per day for weeks at a time. He is fast but accurate as well, and I'd bet there isn't one out of a hundred bolt guys that can match Monty for speed, and one in 500 that can match him in both speed and accuracy combined with all four shots.

Will you old gun fighter, you know that nobody is so fast that nobody can beat them! Sooner or later someone will come along who is faster. My shooting, and reloading the double and maintaining accuracy was fast even with the fo-pah with the safety at 4 seconds flat, and there were two who beat me down at Houston, but out of a line of 30 shooters shooting bolt lever, double, and single shot I came in third even with the safety problem costing me at least one second. So Will four shots, all on target scoreing 36 out of a posible 40 points, in four seconds ain't bad even with trying to shoot shot three with the safety on.

Now Will I'd love to shoot that course against you with your bolt rifle, or double rifle, your choice. Shale we say "HIGH NOON"?
...................... jumping

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Palos:
Watch the section on this Youtube footage from about the 58th second to about 1 min 26 seconds into the sequence: Big Bore Shoot Nov 08

This guy has since improved his technique to such an extent that at our recent shoot in Elisras he managed a 6 out of seven hits in 27 seconds from three different shooting positions with the first shot being over a chronograph (that shot starts the clock)

The setup was a seven shot sequence and clearly favoured magazine rifles yet Stuart won hands down (about 65 contestants) with his Krieghoff 500 NE. There were 4 static & 3 moving target shots in the sequence.

Another of our members using a double in 470Ne is Riaan Pretorius who is about as hot as Stuart, but was not at the recent Elisras shoot. You guys want to see these two when they go head-to-head at our shoots!

Stephen, that may seem like a long time to some double rifle shooters for the amount of shots he takes in your shoot. However all that time is not just re-loading and shooting, there is travel time involved with getting to each of the shooting positions. I absolutely love that Elisras shooting range, and would love to participate in that shoot some day. Katzke set up a small layout at the DRSS shoot at 4K ranch a couple years ago, sort of a mini version with travel time involved but only on static targets! Lots of fun!

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been looking for good ways to facilitate a fast double reload and plan to talk to Dick Murray at SCI in January.

I found that if you grasp two cartridges with your left hand, and the right cartridge is just about 1" further out than the left cartridge round, it facilatates faster alignment to the first (Right) barrel and the second load to the left barrel just follows the first.

Going to have Murray design a 4 cartridge holder into two bullet sections with the left cartidge stiched approx one inch higher than the right barrel cartridge.

Try holding two offset cartridges with your left hand and after you open the rifle, guide it into the right barrel and the left cartridge will automatically follow into the left barrel.

These is much easier than trying to align two cartridges into two chambers at the same time.

Also the cartridge belt will have the cartridges aligned the same distance as the rifles two chambers and will be spaced out in two cartridge segments.

Posts: 2180 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, Ca. | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Try holding two offset cartridges with your left hand and after you open the rifle, guide it into the right barrel and the left barrel will automatically follow into the left barrel.

That sounds like a good idea.