Find
Notify
Tools

elephant guns to the range 2007
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted
Weather has finally broken and warming up...

Saturday April 21 to the range...

We meet at the Starlite dinner RT 100 south (Fogelsville) you will see Holiday Inn and restaurant is across highway from it...exit off I78 west 8am for breakfast... Approx. 4 miles from Lehigh Valley interchange of the turnpike...

You are all welcome to attend....We should have around 6 doubles from 9.3 , 375, 470, 450#2, 500, and maybe the "Lady" will grace us with her presence the 577...
Any other rifles are also welcome...

Mike Big Grin

570-262-9727 cell

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
retreever,
More/better directions please! Maybe I'm just not getting it but what is the town? "Trexlerville" came back as "insuficient search criteria" although I did find a Trexler Cir. off Rt. 100/ Main Street. I'm just not exactly sure what town this is the main street of! Rough directions from I-81 or I-83 from the south would be most helpful although the date isn't looking very good for me right now.

An old man sleeps with his conscience, a young man sleeps with his dreams.

Posts: 777 | Location: United States | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think the mayor meant to type, "Fogelsville." Intersection of Route 100 and Interstate 78. 233 N. RT 100 is the correct address.

The shooting has in the past been at the State Game Lands range north of Fogelsville. I think it is number 205.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Coming from I81 or I83 south you will pick up I 78 East where it joins I81 just north of Hershey ...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Badger Matt
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mike. Chad and I will be there with the Merkel 470.

I caught double rifle fever at the last shoot with those contagious bastages.

Posts: 1262 | Location: Simpsonville, SC | Registered: 25 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like Mike is having Selous withdrawal symptons! Smiler

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Absolutely... Ray.

Dan you are welcome to join us...

Mike

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
How do you guys find your way home? Smiler

Those directions sounds like the joke about "Yeah, but I ain't lost."

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19363 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ladies and Gentlemen:

May I recommend an after shoot dinner at a restaurant called Legends located at the Ramada Inn in Reading. It is located on Fifth street highway just south of the Route 12 interchange (it may show up on Mapquest as business route 222, so check the Ramada Inn locations guide). My step son is the head chef there, and he cooks beautifully. He's damn good, and you'll be happy you ate there.

Also, may I join your group with a mere Mauser? I have used that exact range lots of times.

Sincerely,

Chris Bemis

Posts: 2594 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 30 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Yale:
Route 12 interchange (it may show up on Mapquest as business route 222

Come on. How do you guys define highways? I really want to know. Smiler

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19363 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Love to join you Mike and try out the 416T, but alas I will be suffering thru a chase for Mr Spots at that time. Big Grin

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dear Mr. Stewart:

As a formerly practicing lawyer in Pennsylvania, and having dealt with the various levels of the Pennsylvania bureacracies, including the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation, please let me know the logic of road placement or displacement in this state. I sure don't.

I understand the cow placement roads in Boston, my sister went to Harvard. I also understand the Roman Grid road system in New Haven, Connecticut, since I went to Yale University.

But Pennsylvania, especially in the coal regions, well, there you have me!

Specifically, the problem is Route 12 was known as Pricetown Road for generations. Business Route 222 locally known as the Warren Street Bypass peels off Route 12 at the interchange were the Ramada Inn sits. Go figure.

Yes, Kansas is much more logical, at least in its road placement.

Hope this answers your question.

Sincerely,

Chris Bemis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ladies and Gentlemen:

Okay, you made me work, here's the Map Quest link for the Ramada Inn at 2545 North 5th Street, Reading, Pennsylvania 19605, 610-929-4741:

http://local.live.com/?v=2&sp=Point.qqvhxc8p5h1t_2545%2...2c%20United%20States

Believe me you will be really happy when you have one of Dave's meals at Legends.

Sincerely,

Chris Bemis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK so there IS a Trexler town @ Rt.100 & 222! Sorry Beau I didn't intend to start such a discussion on directions, roads, maps, etc... Thanks for clearing it up though!

An old man sleeps with his conscience, a young man sleeps with his dreams.

Posts: 777 | Location: United States | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Trexler town is one word: Trexlertown.

Posts: 98 | Location: Eastern United States | Registered: 22 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Directions to the ele gun shoot...

NORTH of SOUTH use the Pa turnpike to Allentown interchange and get off heading WEST towards Harrisburg about 4 miles take the RT 100 South Exit Trexlertown

From the South West take I 81 North to I 78 East

Once exiting you will see Holiday Inn on right and go to traffic light and left turn back to dinner Starlite...

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mad

Mike,

I work eight days the month of April. Guess what one of them is??

Keith

What counts is what you learn after you know it all!!!

Posts: 712 | Location: York,Pa | Registered: 27 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

I will probably stop down to participate but will only be bringing along a few "boring" bolt action 375's, one of which I bought from Terry Carr(very light MGA). I will bring along my 9.3X74R Ruger #1 too. Is there a requirement to bring along DR ammo? Not that it is a problem costwise but I would need to know what ammo to bring for which DR that will be there. Some folks are particular in what they put down the tubes.

Woody

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Bring what ever you like to shoot..

No prerequisites..one... earmuffs

Mike Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear about this, Badger Matt PMed me so

I would not miss out. I hope to get there, but can't

know for sure till the night before.

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Mike,
Hope y'all have a good time! I'll be wasting away in Margaritaville with Jimmy Buffett on the 21st.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
Mike:

I wish I could make it up for a shoot, but I have a prior obligation that day here in DC.

My old man has been working crazy hours, but I'll let him know about this - I'm sure he will make it.

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I will try and bring my Webley & Scott 450/400 3.25 double, if my work schedule doesn't conflict. Will call ahead before making the trip.

Rigbyman

Posts: 9 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: 20 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Badger Matt
posted Hide Post
rigbyman (aka Marlin),
I've got the next seven days off (minus a couple days playing good hubby with the missus). Let me know if you'd like to play with the doubles. I'd love to chrony a few loads.
Matt

Posts: 1262 | Location: Simpsonville, SC | Registered: 25 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Jack you know you are welcome right up the last minute...

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike you guys are going to freeze! It was warmer in January. Was fishing today in the Parkway fly fish only stretch with ice in my guides.

Posts: 223 | Location: close but no cigar | Registered: 03 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Alp#4, I figure by April 21 should be more then bearable...

Come and join us...Anyone is welcome to shoot with us...

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
retreever, what time do yall plan on meeting up? I wanted to attend the shoot you had last year (November?) but was out of town. I have no big bore (9.3x62 is the biggest I have), but if I brought some $$ to cover the cost of some cartridges, I would love to try out a "real" big bore...

Posts: 454 | Location: Califon, NJ USA | Registered: 18 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ha, I reread the first post and I see yall are meeting at 0800...

Posts: 454 | Location: Califon, NJ USA | Registered: 18 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
johnnyreb I'll be taking my .416 Rigby & .458 WM . No need to cover my ammo I reload and frankly some of it has been sitting in the gun safe for a few years now so I wish to shoot it away.

Posts: 223 | Location: close but no cigar | Registered: 03 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ALP#4, I live off route 611, just south of the intersection of route 611 and 512. Do you know where Apple Blossom Village is, which in on Allegheny Road, which is across from Pocono Foods? I live back in there...

One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
quote:
Fogelsville

Hope these help. If things go well I'll bring the BMG:

Collins
Airgunner / 458 SOCOMer/ 45-70er / 458 Lotter

www.actionairgun.com LIVE NOW

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Alp#4 & Johnnyreb,

Looking forward to seeing you guys...Looks like there will be a 458 Lott, 450#2 double, 500NE double, 375 flanged also, 375H&H, 470NE double...
We will have somne fun... 8am at the Starlite dinner on Rt 100 South just off I 78 Fogelsville...

Mike

One of Us
Picture of DanEP
posted Hide Post
Hi!

Two questions:

What targets at what ranges do you shoot at?

How do you clean these barrels when you're done? (I find the fouling to be fierce!!)

Dan

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
DanEP,

I have some buffalo targets and also rhino and a few other African animals... We also shoot some plain targets..Ranges will be 25, 50, and 100yds.

We will force feed some of the rifles with good solvent, patches, and silicone....Before packingup....

Mike

One of Us
Picture of DanEP
posted Hide Post
You use sticks?

Dan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanEP:
You use sticks?

Dan

I'm bringing mine along.

Posts: 98 | Location: Eastern United States | Registered: 22 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
We will use the benches if need be, shooting sticks and off hand..

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Badger Matt
posted Hide Post
Mike, et al.,

Anyone able to bring a micrometer to the shoot? If I'm gonna keep my Merkel, I've simply got to replace the current sights. I'd like to measure a few suitable beads to see what seems to work best for me.

Of course, if I had just stuck with my bolt actions I wouldn't have this "problem."

Matt

One of Us
Picture of brian simmons
posted Hide Post
im going to come and watch dont own any thing above 300 wm Frowner unless u count 44 and 45 pistols Big Grin just own an a bolt i took to africa in 2004 and of coutse the fun to shoot m-1 garand. if anyone wants to shoot either let me know and ill brinmg them brian shood be fun just to watch p.s. 16 yo son told me he is coming even if he has to ride in the bed of the truck. told him up front would be fine

brian r simmons

Posts: 186 | Location: nj | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote