THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Help ChetNC choose a trophy for his Andrew McLaren Safaris 2009 Free Hunt.

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help ChetNC choose a trophy for his Andrew McLaren Safaris 2009 Free Hunt.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted
OK A new thread on ChetNC’s Hunt was suggested, asked for and now you’ll get it!

ChetNC will be in South Africa for 18 full days plus two half days for arrival & departure. We planned to use these days as follow: 4 full hunting days for bushveld species at two, maybe three venues. 1 Day traveling to Luan’s place via scenic route. 1 Day at luan’s for the bushpig on a spit braai. 3 days in Kruger National Park. Then 1 day traveling to Mervilla where he will do much of the actual hunting until departure day.

ChetNC has quite a budget to spend on trophy fees. Trophy values calculated at average South African Hunting Outfitters’ cost are as follow:
Sponsored by myself, and animals that I will really make very sure he gets:
Blesbuck trophy ram $ 375
Blesbuck female $ 147.50
Springbuck trophy ram $ 350
Springbuck female $ 99.50
Steenbuck trophy $ 300

Sponsored by Luan Lombard: 1 “larger” and 1 “smaller” is here regarded as a choice of 1 out of four bigger species and 1 out of two smaller species.
¼ Black Wildebeest $ 950
¼ Gemsbuck $ 1000
¼ Red Hartebeest $ 950
¼ Blue Wildebeest $ 900
½ Impala $ 350
½ Duiker $ 275

Sponsored by michaelj:
Warthog or ? $ 300

Anonymous sponsor:
Warthog or ? $ 300

Held in reserve by ChetNC himself:
Any super trophy seen. $ ? The actual amount is regarded as none of your business, but I assure you that the amount indicated to me is quite sufficient.

Let’s just deal with ChetNC’s own reserve: ChetNC has indicated that he is not a ‘tape measure’ hunter, but that he is prepared to work very hard and put in lots of extra effort in order to get a very good trophy. Now, if a hunting client has that attitude, be sure that I’ll work my ass off to try to get him decent trophies! I plan to keep ChetNC’s reserve for that 60” kudu or 37” eland or 42” gemsbuck that we try our best to run into, and then actually succeed! Or he can use those funds to pay for any “trophy of opportunity”, like, if we see a nice bushbuck, or bush pig, or caracal or whatever while actually hunting for something else.

The question then really becomes: Which three of the ¼ animals he trades in to add to which one to make a full trophy? Hunting is hunting and I will not fall into the trap of ‘guaranteeing’ any trophy or a trophy size. What I do guarantee is that ChetNC will hunt on properties where he will most likely get a good chance at shooting a true representative of each of the 4 species listed under Luan’s sponsoring. I also have absolutely no doubt that he will have ample opportunity to take at least a representative impala. Every experienced PH knows how difficult duiker is to hunt, so, given that in the Mervilla area duiker is a scarce trophy, I’ll put my money on impala for the smaller trophy sponsored by luan!

OK so I’ll attempt to plan a poll.
In general trophy fees for females of these species are about half of what the males cost. In all the females also carry horns; thinner and shorter than the males, except that in the gemsbuck the female’s horns are often longer! So I include a choice of two females instead of one male.

In good hunting.

Andrew McLaren

Question:
How to select, or which of the trophy animals do you vore for ChetNC to hunt as his choice of the bigger trophy sponsored by luan?

Choices:
The first trophy seen that is better than just representative.
Black Wildebeest.
Gemsbuck.
Red Hartebeest.
Blue Wildebeest.
Good females of two of the species.

Andrew McLaren
Professional Hunter and Hunting Outfitter since 1974.

http://www.mclarensafaris.com The home page to go to for custom planning of ethical and affordable hunting of plains game in South Africa!
Enquire about any South African hunting directly from andrew@mclarensafaris.com

After a few years of participation on forums, I have learned that:

One can cure:

Lack of knowledge – by instruction. Lack of skills – by practice. Lack of experience – by time doing it.

One cannot cure:

Stupidity – nothing helps! Anti hunting sentiments – nothing helps! Put-‘n-Take Outfitters – money rules!

My very long ago ancestors needed and loved to eat meat. Today I still hunt!

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Not an easy choice...... but I guess I'd probably go for Gemsbuck if I had to choose.

BTW, Fantastic to see I'm not the only C Emily Dibb fan!!!! clap

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would take the Gemsbok in the package and pay for a real trophy Black Wildebeest save the $50 for a Baboon.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
My vote is for the Black Wildebeest. My reasons:
1.They are South African (says it all to me)
2.They can be difficult to hunt (crazy)
3.They are tough animals (thick, elastic skin)
4.They are so ugly they are beautiful, more so when viewed up close
5.They are eyeballed as maybe future permits required to hunt them; CITES? Who knows.
6.Even a skull mount, flat skin and tail whisk make great trophies
7.Did I mention they are indigenous to RSA?
My 2 cents worth. Good hunting Andrew and ChetNC!
David

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6804 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ChetNC
posted Hide Post
Haven't been in this position before so to me there are no wrong answers! Big Grin

ChetNC

Posts: 348 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 03 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the blue wildebeest, but it's a tough call. I have a female gemsbok and yes, the horns are longer and slimmer. I have a blue wildebeest on the wall that is a really beautiful mount done by John Pyles in Orlando. One of my favorite mounts.

My grizzled old warthog is still my all-time favorite, though.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
Blue Wildebeast.

If your going to bring a .375 Ruger to Africa you may as well shoot something bigger and tougher than the rest.

Posts: 1432 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They are all pretty nice throphys but for me Red Hartebeest pretty cool looking but tastey

One of Us
Picture of Ej
posted Hide Post
Black or Blue Wilde , both tough and both say AFRICA ! Wanted a blue on my first trip and never saw one . Now both are a priority !
Good Luck and Enjoy !

Africa Bug " Embrace the bite , live for adventure "
EJ Carter 2011

One of Us
Picture of 375 fanatic
posted Hide Post
Mine is not on the list

then i hear that lion hunting is very cheap in July 2009 you can even hunt them for free. the first hunt is saterday at 3pm there is 30 lions on kwota

"Buy land they have stopped making it"- Mark Twain

Posts: 914 | Location: Burgersfort the big Kudu mekka of South Africa | Registered: 27 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 375 fanatic:
the first hunt is saterday at 3pm there is 30 lions on kwota

Damn it Rudi, as much as I enjoy drinking Lion, I'm not coming over to drink your beer and watch the rugby............. Although I enjoy your company, every time I start bending an elbow with the ka-boerer, I go home as drunk as a skunk!!!!!!

You lot might be able to soak it up like a sponge but not this rooinek!!!

rotflmo

Of course, you could always come to my place and drink my booze instead! beer

One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
Someone should take Chet and his son to a Rugby game and introduce him to the game they play in heaven.

Now that, would be a cross cultural experience.

one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
No one should return from Africa without a gemsbok or a kudu.

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I read the first post correctly Chet has only 4 hunting days, and is not strapped for cash.

In that position "I" would tell the PH., IF YOU see something YOU think I need to shoot, then tell me to shoot. We can discuss trophy quality later.

PS, even if I am hunting 21, 30 or 35 days, this is what I tell my PH.

I "advise" him that I do not want to shoot a "dink", but I do not have to shoot the biggest in the "Galaxy" either.

I just want a "nice one/good one" and I want to have fun doing it.

I have NEVER been dissapointed in the PH's judgement.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
If I read the first post correctly Chet has only 4 hunting days, and is not strapped for cash.

In that position "I" would tell the PH., IF YOU see something YOU think I need to shoot, then tell me to shoot. We can discuss trophy quality later.

PS, even if I am hunting 21, 30 or 35 days, this is what I tell my PH.

I "advise" him that I do not want to shoot a "dink", but I do not have to shoot the biggest in the "Galaxy" either.

I just want a "nice one/good one" and I want to have fun doing it.

I have NEVER been dissapointed in the PH's judgement.

+1 very good advice

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

He actually has 4 days hunting then 6 days touring and then another 8 days hunting: 12 FULL hunting days!

Your advice is sound and your attitude very likeable!

In good hunting.

Andrew McLaren

Andrew McLaren

http://www.mclarensafaris.com The home page to go to for custom planning of ethical and affordable hunting of plains game in South Africa!

One can cure:

Lack of knowledge – by instruction. Lack of skills – by practice. Lack of experience – by time doing it.

One cannot cure:

Stupidity – nothing helps! Anti hunting sentiments – nothing helps! Put-‘n-Take Outfitters – money rules!

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I feel a little better that he has 12 full hunting days...

Still, if it is 12 days, or 1200 days, if the Ph says shoot, I shoot. BOOM

AND I MAKE IT PERFECTLY CLEAR, I want HIM to have as much fun on the hunt as I do.

I also "advise" the PH if he sees an animal with a BIG horn on one side, in heavy bush and tells me to shoot, and I do, and the animal ONLY has one one horn, or a broken horn on the non seen side, then I will not WORRY,not fuss, as sometimes shooting QUICK can make the difference between a kill or a lost oppertunity.

MY bottom line is, have a good FUN hunt.

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
gemsbok, no doubt. when people walk in my trophy room, all other poll animals are on the walls but the gemsbok is the first one they ask about!!

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13166 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
jdollar

Nice Lizzard. Big Grin

one of us
Picture of Anders
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by L. David Keith:
My vote is for the Black Wildebeest. My reasons:
1.They are South African (says it all to me)
2.They can be difficult to hunt (crazy)
3.They are tough animals (thick, elastic skin)
4.They are so ugly they are beautiful, more so when viewed up close
5.They are eyeballed as maybe future permits required to hunt them; CITES? Who knows.
6.Even a skull mount, flat skin and tail whisk make great trophies
7.Did I mention they are indigenous to RSA?
My 2 cents worth. Good hunting Andrew and ChetNC!
David

Agree! Smiler

Anders

Hunting and fishing DVDs from Mossing & Stubberud Media: www.jaktogfiskedvd.no

..and my blog at: http://andersmossing.blogspot.com

Posts: 1959 | Location: Norway | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ChetNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well, I feel a little better that he has 12 full hunting days...

Still, if it is 12 days, or 1200 days, .

I like this idea better. Andrew, what say that instead of a free hunt, we discuss short term adoption!
Hey, if Madonna can adopt children in Malawi, can't an RSA citizen adopt a 37 year old American? Heck, I'm even house trained.
What's one more stocking over the fire place anyway?

Big Grin
ChetNC

Posts: 348 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 03 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
I love this..... Chet cowboy up... geter done...

I really want to know what Mason gets to shoot....

Mike thumb salute

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ChetNC
posted Hide Post
Thanks retreever.

And before I forget, I don't believe I have thanked the anonymous donor who sprung for $300 in trophy fees. I truly respect your wishes to remain anonymous but I also hope at some point you will PM me so I can thank you personally.

On that note, I wish you guys could see how many PM's I have had from others on the board that made contributions to this hunt. Since none of you here know me and I can guarantee I certainly don't deserve it, I can only say it must be generosity in it's purest form.
Thanks again, everyone.

It is shaping up to be a fine hunt!

ChetNC

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by retreever:
I love this..... Chet cowboy up... geter done...

I really want to know what Mason gets to shoot....

Mike thumb salute

My plans for what Mason get to shoot:

1. Paper. Lots of shots with my silenced Anschutz .22 LR at conventional ‘bulls eye’ targets. This from a shooting bench.

2. Beer cans - after I have emptied them Big Grin - and a few stones and other miscellaneous 'action' targets. Here from stimulated field rests like shooting sticks.

3. Some more paper. But now the targets are life size photo prints of hyrax, guinea fowl and a few other smaller varmint animals. With this shooting come the lessons in shot placement.

4. His father decides if he can graduate to a rock pigeon as first South African bird. There are a few nests around my house and sometimes he may get a nice close shot.

5. Once he has passed the pigeon test he graduates to hyrax as first 'haired' animal. This will really involve some serious hunting in order to get him a close shot AND a good rest.

6. Various varmints: Yellow mongoose, ground squirrel, surricate or meercat and possibly some more.

7. Then he will learn about night shooting at springhare.

8 to 14. We repeat all or most of these steps with a .22/250. But now we include porcupine as another night time varmint.

15. Steenbuck ram - free on the house.

16. Any springbuck - free on the house.

17. Whatever else hs dad is prepared to pay for!

For this last one we may have to repeat a few steps with my .308 win before he shoots any animal that is regarded as to big for the .22/250 loaded with 60 grain Nostler Partitions.

I have been informed that young Mason is a tough outdoors type; he can most probably handle the training and schooling described above. But one thing is very important in teaching a youngster to hunt is to make sure the kid understands about death.

The realization that an aspirant young hunter needs to accept is: "I killed an innocent little animal sitting there minding it's own business." Even more so he/she must be prepared to handle the thought: "I shot at and hurt an innocent little animal sitting there minding it's own business. Now it's going to die a slow and painful death! All because I screwed up on the shot!" There are many grown men, tough guys, which cannot properly handle these situations. But before shooting at anything that’s alive a hunter, even us experienced hunters, must be able to handle those situations, and defend his actions against possible criticism from a mother, sisters, kid brothers and schoolmates! That is why his father calls on his readiness to shoot at a living target for a first time.

Trusting that this training/evaluation and maturation program spelled out like this will make young Mason even keener on the trip!

Time to start the countdown! Only 44 days to landing here!

In good hunting.

Andrew McLaren

Andrew McLaren

One can cure:

One cannot cure:

One of Us
Picture of ChetNC
posted Hide Post
THANK YOU FOR HELPING ME GO THROUGH THIS TRAINING.It will help me get better at shooting and hunting!

Sincerly,
Mason!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One of Us
Picture of ChetNC
posted Hide Post
The post above this one came from Mason. He has asked me near daily if anyone else has responded to this thread.
If anyone has any words for an 8 year old boy going on his first safari in 3 weeks, by all means fire away. I promise you, he is all ears.
Chet

One of Us
Picture of Ej
posted Hide Post
Advice for Mason:
Have Fun !
Enjoy the company of your Dad and Andrew and everyone else you meet.
Be Thankful for what you will get to enjoy everyday , some of us had to wait a very long time to find Africa.(Retreever is good example,he is old)
Care not about the destination but only about the journey.( dad may have to explain that one to you.)
Take lots of Pics.
oh and Have more Fun.

EJ Carter 2011

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Mason,

My humble advice is simple: keep your eyes and ears open, and concentrate on learning and taking your time, soaking up all that Africa has to offer. You're on a hunt, but remember that there are so many wonderful bits and pieces of your surroundings that make up a hunt: the sights, the smells, the land, the company and of course, the animals. One day, many long years from now, you'll want to be able to close your eyes and remember the amazing time you enjoyed hunting Africa with your old man. If you pay attention, you'll take those memories with you for the rest of your days. So will your Dad, I assure you.

Don't set your expectations too high on anything other than having a ball, and taking what comes. You're a very, very lucky young man, and you owe it to yoursel--and your Dad--to just have the time of your life, which I'm sure you will. Take lots of pics, and enjoy yourself!

KG

P.S. When you're older, like a teenager, and on the brink of making a bad decision, remember that there are consequences to your actions, not the least of which have to do with your family and your Dad. You mean the world to him, and he's I'm sure more excited about being able to take you than anything else. Remember that, and do the right thing years from now. Make him proud. I know you will. Best to you both, and have the time of your life!

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Mason,

Never forget that your Father has made it possible for you to enjoy one of the most formative and exciting experiences of your entire life......... so make sure that your Father NEVER wants for a cold beer after a days hunting and the same should apply to Mr Mc Laren all the while you're in his company! Wink

More seriously, remember and enjoy every second of your time in Africa!

One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
Have fun Mason.

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Mason, Enjoy your safari... Ask Mr. Mclaren a thousand questions about the animals and birds... Sights and sounds of Africa... When you are hunting talk yourself through the shot and make... Just like practicing at home...
Mason I had to wait till I was 52 years old till I made my first safari...

Make the shot " Aim small miss small"

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ej
posted Hide Post
see I told you he was old.Smiler
Good luck on your trip Mr. Retreever as well.

EJ Carter 2011

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Mason when I look at the African wall I am still smiling...All bull elephants in 7 foot high jess at 500yds...

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My first reaction and my vote was gemsbok. Beautiful animals, wary most places, tough. Then I started thinking, I have 3. So maybe something else might be desireable. Then I thought about black wildebeest -- unique and beatiful, never even seen one in the wild -- or hartebeest -- I've hunted two different species of them, but never shot one, very elusive, wary animals. Maybe one of those would be nice. Finally I arrived at what I think is the best answer -- first choice -- targets of opportunity. Can't lose with those choices though.

Posts: 10037 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 375 fanatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
quote:
Originally posted by 375 fanatic:
the first hunt is saterday at 3pm there is 30 lions on kwota

Damn it Rudi, as much as I enjoy drinking Lion, I'm not coming over to drink your beer and watch the rugby............. Although I enjoy your company, every time I start bending an elbow with the ka-boerer, I go home as drunk as a skunk!!!!!!

You lot might be able to soak it up like a sponge but not this rooinek!!!

rotflmo

Of course, you could always come to my place and drink my booze instead! beer

Sounds good mate especialy after yesterdays game its going to be interesting next week

ill buy a case for you and after the night i will save the other 23 in the fridge till next time LOL

"Buy land they have stopped making it"- Mark Twain

Posts: 914 | Location: Burgersfort the big Kudu mekka of South Africa | Registered: 27 April 2007Reply With Quote